PDA

View Full Version : Lambeau will be a proving ground

woodbuck27
08-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Posted August 9, 2006

Chris Havel column:

Lambeau will be a proving ground

By Chris Havel

The Green Bay Packers have a great deal to prove after a 4-12 season.

That doesn't make them a lone wolf among NFL teams entering 2006 after truly substandard seasons.

What does separate the Packers from most also-rans is that individually, as many as 17 of the 22 likely starters have great motivation to prove that they deserve to start and/or are better than public perception and recent performance suggest.

Only book-end offensive tackles Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher, fullback William Henderson, receiver Donald Driver and cornerback Al Harris enter the season with few, if any, question marks or concerns.

That leaves 17 players with good reason to have a Gibraltar-size chip on their shoulder pads, beginning with quarterback Brett Favre and running back Ahman Green. Favre needs to demonstrate that his 29 interceptions were a fluke, and Green that his career is far from over despite sagging statistics and a serious injury.

Robert Ferguson out-dueled Charles Woodson for an arching pass up the right sideline at Tuesday's practice. Ferguson needs to silence his critics with more plays like that, and Woodson needs to show he's worthy as the team's top-priced free agent.

A.J. Hawk needs to prove he is worth the No. 5 overall pick in the draft, and Adbul Hodge needs to prove he was a steal in the third round.

Rookies Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz need to prove they are capable starting guards.

Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila needs to prove he's an every-down player, and Aaron Kampman needs to prove he's worth the lucrative contract.

Nick Collins needs to avoid the sophomore slump, and Marquand Manuel needs to get on the field.

Bubba Franks needs to prove he's capable of a 60-catch season and getting open downfield, if given the chance.

Scott Wells needs to prove he can handle being the everyday center, and Nick Barnett needs to prove he can force turnovers.

Ryan Pickett, a high-priced free agent, and Kenderick Allen, an underachiever, must prove they can anchor the defensive line.

So which players are the best bets to get it done?

Here goes …

If healthy, Favre and Green should benefit from the new staff and system. History suggests Ferguson won't. Woodson's talent is obvious, as is that he is the second-best corner on the team.

Hawk faces a tall order. Give him time. Hodge was, and is, a steal.

Colledge and Spitz are in the infancy of a long journey. The Packers will bat .500 with rookie guards in '06. Who starts and who struggles is too early to say.

Kampman is going to be worth every penny. KGB, with proper motivation, will be more than an occasional force.

Franks is going to grab a lot of passes and headlines. Collins is too good to slump, and Manuel is too much an unknown to venture a guess.

Wells will be OK, Barnett is going to make plays, and the Pickett-Allen tandem is going to be a pleasant surprise.

All they have to do is prove it.

Partial
08-11-2006, 12:57 AM
Woodson 2nd best corner on the team?!?! When healthy, no one threw on Chuck. He was similiar to Champ Bailey. The best corners don't get a ton of picks since teams do not throw against him.

Packers4Glory
08-11-2006, 05:20 AM
of all the things, I am most excited about is the 2 rookie gaurds..i think they both will be very good for many yrs to come in this scheme. Part of Favres problem last yr was playing w/ suspect shitty gaurds. I think a couple games into the season, Favre will be at ease w/ these 2 guys in front. Bodes well for the future as well when Rodgers takes over. a solid O-line is critical for an inexperienced QB. Critical. too bad NFL teams don't realize that when they draft these guys and throw them behind shit lines to get killed every week. AR shouldn't have to worry about it.

Favre is good but he needs more than just Driver to throw to. I'm on the fence when it comes to what Franks will do this yr. He never was much of a downfield threat. Goalline he is money.

Green should be just fine in this scheme as well if he stays healthy. Plus I like the depth going into camp so he shouldn't be overworked in the season.

Offensively as a group they have to avoid the mental mistakes like jumping offsides and dropped passes. I'm very encouraged to see the coaches raising hell in camp about stupid mental mistakes. Those killed drives and ultimately many scoring chances last yr.

The defense is going to pretty good I think. We finally have 2 solid CB's again to go along w/ an emerging DL and LB corps. The defense is going to be the strength of this team and if they can force some TOs this yr....that is the key. Hopefully w/ guys like Hawk and Woodson a few more will come our way.

Rastak
08-11-2006, 06:21 AM
Woodson 2nd best corner on the team?!?! When healthy, no one threw on Chuck. He was similiar to Champ Bailey. The best corners don't get a ton of picks since teams do not throw against him.

Was being the key word, what I've read is that he has slowed a little. He isn't a spring chicken anymore. If he can stay on the field he should be an upgrade though.

Packers4Glory
08-11-2006, 08:17 AM

Was being the key word, what I've read is that he has slowed a little. He isn't a spring chicken anymore. If he can stay on the field he should be an upgrade though. Terry Shiavo would be an upgrade over mr.penalty.