View Full Version : McCarthy's schedule lets players catch their breath

woodbuck27
08-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Posted August 10, 2006

McCarthy's schedule lets players catch their breath

By Dylan Tomlinson
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

Days off are rare during training camp.

Typically, the only off days come the day after games or scrimmages. While Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy wasn't about to give his team the day off, Wednesday was the next best thing.

The Packers practiced only once, at 9 a.m., and the session was conducted in shorts instead of pads, as scheduled.

While it wasn't a day off, being done practicing by lunchtime instead of coming back for an evening practice that would last to almost 9 p.m. gave the players a welcome break.

"It was something we all needed," tight end Bubba Franks said. "We've been going really hard for about two weeks now, and I think we all appreciated a shorter day."

The single, morning practice was something McCarthy planned when he configured his training camp schedule.

"You get to this point in training camp, obviously, your guys are a little leg weary," McCarthy said. "So we're just being smart from a health standpoint."

Only one Packers player, tackle Adrian Klemm, has sustained a major injury, but Franks, receiver Greg Jennings and tackle Chad Clifton are among those who have missed time with minor injuries.

"When I was younger, I didn't have much of a problem going almost every day, but now it can catch up to you," Franks said. "We have a long season ahead of us, and I think it's good that Coach knows when an easier day can benefit us all."

The Packers return to their normal regimen today with practices at 9 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. as they get ready for Saturday's preseason opener at San Diego.

"We're looking forward to Saturday," McCarthy said. "Family Night was a good test, but this will be more important since we'll be going against someone else. I think we're all anxious to see what happens Saturday night."