PDA

View Full Version : Will Ted Thompson Change his Drafting Pattern?

Smeefers
03-28-2011, 11:17 AM
No. No he wont. This an excerpt from ESPN.COM NFC North Blog. Highlights in bold are mine;

In what is obviously a coincidence, Von of Texas wants to know what it would take for the Green Bay Packers to trade up in the draft to secure Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller if he is still available at the No. 7 or No. 8 overall pick.

Kevin Seifert: I'm not convinced that scenario could happen. Scouts Inc., for one, rates Miller as the No. 2 prospect in the entire draft. But for argument's sake, let's say it does. The Packers would have three obstacles to overcome.

First, you would have the steep price it would take to move 24 or 25 spots up in the draft from No. 32 overall. If you go by the old draft value chart, at least, you see that the No. 32 pick is worth 590 points. The No. 7 pick is worth 1,500 points, and No. 8 is worth 1,400. That means the Packers would need to "make up" at least 810 points to make the deal work based on the chart.

How steep is that? The remainder of the Packers' draft -- their assigned picks in rounds 2-7 -- wouldn't be enough. In the end, a team that isn't desperate to trade down might require the Packers to give up their first-round pick in 2012 in addition to this year's first- and second-round pick.

Would you give up at least three high picks for Von Miller? He better be one heck of a future Hall of Fame linebacker.

The second obstacle is the very real possibility that teams will be less motivated than ever to trade down. If the NFL lockout is not overturned in federal court, these drafted players won't get contracts until after a new collective bargaining agreement is reached. And the new CBA is almost certain to include a rookie pay scale that will dramatically cut back the contracts that teams with top 10 picks will have to dole out. In the past, those figures have represented one of the biggest incentives to trade back.

Finally, some of you have suggested the Packers should sacrifice their usual emphasis on quantity of draft picks if they identify a unique opportunity. This week, I asked Packers general manager Ted Thompson about that line of thought, the kind that would compel him to give up three high draft picks for one player.

"I don't necessarily agree with that," Thompson said. "We had a pretty good team going into last year's draft, and we had four college free agents make our team and contribute to us winning the Super Bowl. I think the more picks the better, no matter what shape your team is in."

Thompson noted that the Packers have made moves in recent years to trade up for linebacker Clay Matthews and safety Morgan Burnett. But those deals aren't close to what it would take to draft Miller. I don't see it happening.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I had secretly hoped that Ted would slightly abandon his "The more picks, the better." attitude he's always had. Now, in no way am I surprised that we won't move up over half a round to pick up a guy and I could see us jumping 4-8 spots if the perfect player was within reach, but only in those circumstances. TT is a man of strong conviction and all the hoping in the world wont get him to change how he builds a team. Shucks.

3irty1
03-28-2011, 11:32 AM
He already has. We haven't exactly stock-piled picks in the last few years and have traded up a few times to secure special players.

Scott Campbell
03-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Ted may mean what he said.

Or, he might not mean what he said.

:lol:

swede
03-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Check out this response from Ted:

"I don't necessarily agree with that," Thompson said. "We had a pretty good team going into last year's draft, and we had four college free agents make our team and contribute to us winning the Super Bowl. I think the more picks the better, no matter what shape your team is in."

That was a pretty plain answer. When he can answer a question without causing problems with players or giving away information he doesn't want to give away he'll answer it with thoughtful quality, if a bit terse.

RashanGary
03-28-2011, 12:17 PM
How many suggestive columns do you think McGinn and company will write about how Thompson's stubborn ways are costing this team championships?

I'm guessing zero, which is 3 or 4 less per offseason than we're used to.

I think an apology is due by these guys for the awful questions Ted had to answer every offseason and for the even worse articles that would follow.

McGinn would have fans all in a tizzy about what an idiot Ted is every offseason. What's he going to write now? If I had a vote, I'd vote for, "I'm sorry"

MadScientist
03-28-2011, 01:27 PM
I would not be surprised if TT traded up in one of the early rounds if there was someone he really valued, but traded down in rounds 4-6 to stock pile low picks to use instead of signing as many undrafted free agents, because they won't be able to do so without a CBA. Better to draft than watch the Bears get the next Sam Shields.

Patler
03-28-2011, 01:47 PM
I won't be at all surprised if he trades out of the first round, as he did in 2008. Assuming someone he values highly has not slipped through the cracks and is still around at #32, he may not see much difference in players #32 - #45, and would be more than content to move into the first half of the second round while picking up an additional pick.

Too bad it won't be possible to trade players. He might have been able to package Barnett with a pick to move up significantly.

Scott Campbell
03-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Too bad it won't be possible to trade players. He might have been able to package Barnett with a pick to move up significantly.

I dunno. I suspect that Barnett doesn't have much trade value anymore.

Patler
03-28-2011, 02:21 PM
I dunno. I suspect that Barnett doesn't have much trade value anymore.

Why not? He's two years removed from his knee injury, and played a whole season following it. The wrist injury last year won't scare anyone.

Scott Campbell
03-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Age and durability. And tweeting. And I question how productive he really is, and whether he's worth what he's making. I suppose we all do, or we wouldn't be talking about trying to unload him.

He's probably got some value. I just don't think it's that much.

Patler
03-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Age and durability. And tweeting. And I question how productive he really is, and whether he's worth what he's making. I suppose we all do, or we wouldn't be talking about trying to unload him.

He's probably got some value. I just don't think it's that much.

You might be right on a cost/benefit analysis making a trade difficult for Barnett. I think there are worse linebackers still playing, but they likely aren't paid nearly as much.

Fritz
03-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Well, with no CBA he has zero trade value.

I sure with the sides could get this resolved before the draft. But that ain't gonna happen.

Four college free agents made the team, Ted said. Who? Shields....Zombo....uh....Crabtree?....and.....and ....? Help!

Patler
03-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Well, with no CBA he has zero trade value.

I sure with the sides could get this resolved before the draft. But that ain't gonna happen.

Four college free agents made the team, Ted said. Who? Shields....Zombo....uh....Crabtree?....and.....and ....? Help!

Nick McDonald, Shields and Zombo are the only ones I can think of.

I'm not sure Crabtree should count. He was on the practice squad in 2009 after being signed and later waived by the Chiefs.

sharpe1027
03-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Does the practice squad count?

swede
03-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Nick McDonald, Shields and Zombo are the only ones I can think of.

I'm not sure Crabtree should count. He was on the practice squad in 2009 after being signed and later waived by the Chiefs.

Wasn't there an arena league linebacker that got picked up late?

sharpe1027
03-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Wasn't there an arena league linebacker that got picked up late?

Maurice Simpkins. Good call. He was active for 2 games.

Patler
03-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Maurice Simpkins. Good call. He was active for 2 games.

If Simpkins counts, so would Graham Harrell and Josh Gordy, wouldn't they?.

vince
03-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Masthay?

woodbuck27
03-29-2011, 01:23 AM
Ted Thompson will make the best move possible to secure our team. He has his board worked out and based on the BPA at #32 he will make that decision to go there or elect to trade down.

I have confidence in Ted Thompson to make the best move possible at #32.

Lurker64
03-29-2011, 01:28 AM

Or before then, if he has cause to move up.

woodbuck27
03-29-2011, 01:32 AM
Or before then, if he has cause to move up.

Yes of course.

Fritz
03-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Or after then, if he has cause to move down.

Scott Campbell
03-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Ted Thompson will make the best move possible to secure our team. He has his board worked out and based on the BPA at #32 he will make that decision to go there or elect to trade down.

You seem so nice and comfy on the Ted bandwagon. Better late than never.

Tony Oday
03-29-2011, 07:52 PM
TT trades down and stockpiles picks for next year :)

woodbuck27
03-29-2011, 08:19 PM
You seem so nice and comfy on the Ted bandwagon. Better late than never.

Hi Scott.

Iron Mike
03-29-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm good with Akeem Ayers at #32.

Smeefers
03-30-2011, 10:32 AM

Now this I like. This I like a lot.

sharpe1027
03-30-2011, 11:51 AM

If they don't play this year, then this seem wise. It would allow them to get more players that are not a full year removed from playing competitively.

Tony Oday
03-30-2011, 01:28 PM
If they don't play this year, then this seem wise. It would allow them to get more players that are not a full year removed from playing competitively.

And lets face it Bilicheat is the master of drafting in our generation with Pioli and this is what he has done...

Smidgeon
03-30-2011, 01:38 PM
And lets face it Bilicheat is the master of drafting in our generation with Pioli and this is what he has done...

Question posed out of ignorance: have the Patriots been any good drafting lately?

Smeefers
03-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Question posed out of ignorance: have the Patriots been any good drafting lately?

I know they got a killer TE who's name I can't spell nor pronounce.

swede
03-30-2011, 06:47 PM
I know they got a killer TE who's name I can't spell nor pronounce.

Ed West?