PDA

View Full Version : Concussions in American Football

Tarlam!
03-28-2011, 03:24 PM
Seems impossible to me.

Today, my son turned 16 and his dearest wish, bless his cheesehead heart, was a Packer helmet. Now, I only bought him the replica (I also bought him an original #28 with his name on it that set me back a few bob, so don't go calling me a cheap whatever!).

So, I have this helmet in my hand for the first time and I am, well, SPEECHLESS! I played rugby for 16 seasons!! We weren't even allowed by rule to wear shoulder pads unless a doctor's signiature said we must.

And I have this REPLICA helmet in my hand and I have a real dispute going on with the Lord Almighty, the Rugby people and myself.

HOW ON EARTH CAN ANYBODY SERIOUSLY GET CONCUSSED WEARING A REAL HELMET??????

TennesseePackerBacker
03-28-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm sure some one can answer this in better depth than I can, but from my own limited experience I'll try to answer. I honestly wish I had a better grasp of rugby as well. While the helmet offers a lot of protection to the head and face, it doesn't really protect the brain from impacting the skull during a collision. Helmet to helmet collisions are a nature occurance. And sure, while all that padding seems nice, the brain is still traveling at a high velocity when it inevitably crashes in to the skull during such an occurance.

That's how it can happen, and how it does happen. Tackling technique teaches you to drive through your opponent while being lower than him at the same time. Generally trying to put your hat on the ball when doing this. If both players get to the same level a violent helmet to helmet collision often occurs. Not to mention the fact that fundamentlas break down a lot at the lower levels of competition and players put their heads down.

Helmets are (at least were for the longest time) considered weapons in football. Like any weapon, it has to be used responsibly or it can have serious reprecussions.

sharpe1027
03-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Following on TPBs nice description, the helmet is great for preventing cuts, bruises and direct damage to the head. It spreads out the force of the impact across a large area of the entire head. It is like the difference between driving a nail into a board point first (small area of impact) and trying to drive the same nail into the board head first (large area of impact). The concussion issue, however, is mostly about the rate the entire head decelerates. Unless the helmet is a foot thick, there is just only so much that can be done to lessen this deceleration.

Another way to view it is that, for a given amount of impact time and speed, the distance the head travels before it stops determines the deceleration. If your going a certain speed, your head will stop quickly even with the helmet.

Little Whiskey
03-28-2011, 04:46 PM
think of it this way. you can have the highest safety rated car but if you don't put your seat belt on and hit a telephone pole you are going to have a ruff day. you brains only "seatbelt" is the fluid surrounding it. the helmet is the car and the other person is the telephone pole.

Tarlam!
03-28-2011, 05:38 PM
I watch football passionately. But I played rugby, and Australian Rules football. I captained both, so, obviously I had a big mouth, but the skipper is the target in any game. I never got a concussion. I just don't get how we Neandthals can crack heads and live to drink a few afterwards and you guys get concussions!

sharpe1027
03-28-2011, 05:54 PM
I watch football passionately. But I played rugby, and Australian Rules football. I captained both, so, obviously I had a big mouth, but the skipper is the target in any game. I never got a concussion. I just don't get how we Neandthals can crack heads and live to drink a few afterwards and you guys get concussions!

Well, the lack of a helmet changes how you play. You're not as likely to strike someone else's head if they don't have a helmet and you also usually won't be stupid enough to try to spear someone with your head.

Still, I can pretty much guarantee that you got several concussions, they come in all different severities. People get them all the time from much less activity than rugby. I think I even read somewhere that soccer players get them just about every time they head a well struck ball.

It used to be that you would hardly ever heard about concussions in football unless someone was knocked out cold or couldn't remember where they were. Now you are being made aware of the slightest concussion, they aren't suddenly starting to happen in the past two years.

Patler
03-28-2011, 06:02 PM

I would make some wisecrack about there having to be something inside of your head for you to actually get a concussion, but I wouldn't want you to take it wrong following our dust-up a few weeks ago! :lol: :lol:

Pugger
03-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Didn't Rodgers get his second concussion by having his head hit the turf in Detroit?

Deputy Nutz
03-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Rugby and American Football is not the same sport. It is not played the same way, sure you tackle in both sports, and rugby is a brutal sport don't get me wrong, but football is played at a ridiculous speed with armor that gives a sense of false protection. I played both Rugby and football and the first time I played rugby I hit a guy like I was on the football field and knocked myself out, with a concussion, and broke several ribs of my opponent, he had to be carted off the field. I stumbled around for a a while and finished the match. My coach came up to me and told me that he had never seen a hit like that in a rugby game, I thought it was a compliment but he said I wouldn't be playing much longer if I didn't know the difference between a rugby tackle and a football tackle.

In rugby I believe you rely more on arm tackling, dragging the ball carrier to the ground which is a big no no in football. In both sports a clean wrap up tackle is probably best with no contact with the head. Hard to do in both sports so in football a helmet is put on top of one's head and it becomes a weapon to both you and foe. Rugby technique breaks down and arm tackling occurs.

One reason I see for the increase of concussions is first, better reporting and medical given to head injuries. But the game of football has also changed dramatically in the last 20 years. More teams are going to offenses that spread receivers all over the field creating space. This space is allowing players more momentium coming in at the point of contact. Compare it back in the day where teams in high school and college were running offenses with 3 running back and two tight ends. More contact was occuring in a much smaller space cutting down on the space needed to buld up the momentium that would cause collisions that could cause serious head injuries. More running of the football meant less full impact hits to the QB that is now dropping back to pass 50 times a game. Wide receivers were not putting themselves in positions 50 times a game to get slammed by a free safety.

This is just one reason I see for more concussions in the game of football, a schemed based reason if you will.

Guiness
03-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Didn't Rodgers get his second concussion by having his head hit the turf in Detroit?

Yes, and your head hitting the turf is one of the leading causes of concussions, made worse by hard floors in domes or frozen ground. I had a room mate in uni that played rugby, and he got a couple of concussions from having his head slammed to the ground after it was frozen.

While rugby and american football appear to be similar sports on the surface, there are a lot of differences that make rugby less prone to (severe) concussions. One has to do with substitutions, and the resulting size of the players. I saw somewhere that the Pack had the largest starting DL in the league after adding Greene. Do you think Greene, Pickett or Raji could play a full game of semi-competitive rugby? Wells is often called undersized...at over 300lbs.

Concussions and whiplash are caused by acceleration. Those linemen represent something pretty close to an immovable force.

Sharpe is right as well, that you have likely gotten some mild concussions that didn't affect you too much. We're aware of it in football because they get monster ones there, ones that put them out cold, and it has been showing up in their long term health for a while, and became too difficult to ignore.

swede
03-29-2011, 12:09 PM
I can think of one head injury that Rugby players are proud to sport.

http://bitsrock.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/toothless-rugby.jpg

VermontPackFan
03-30-2011, 03:01 PM

Have you actually been to an NFL or high level Division I college game in the past 5-7 years? There are violent collisions you just do not see in a rugby match. Sorry but its pretty clear to me why there are more concussions in football then there are in rugby regardless of the padding/helmets.

VermontPackFan
03-30-2011, 03:06 PM
In rugby I believe you rely more on arm tackling, dragging the ball carrier to the ground which is a big no no in football. In both sports a clean wrap up tackle is probably best with no contact with the head. Hard to do in both sports so in football a helmet is put on top of one's head and it becomes a weapon to both you and foe. Rugby technique breaks down and arm tackling occurs.

Great points Nutz. Not only is the helmet a weapon but also an asset to assist in the tackle...

MadtownPacker
03-30-2011, 03:45 PM
I was watching some rugby a few weeks ago and while it is rougher than Nutz and skin on Meth and vodka binge it does seem like a slower game. Didn't seem like the players launch themselves either.

MadtownPacker
03-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Dup post

KYPack
03-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Now this is one cool thread.

I've played both rugby and football. I've been out 3 times, twice in football and once in rugger. Mad is correct, rugger is slower. In rugby, it's transition sport. you go from offense to defense in a split second. You must be able to change your play to correspond to the situation on the field. The continous play on a larger field means the players are moving all the time. Some of the collisions are just as brutal as football, but there just aren't as many of 'em due to the nature of the game.

Nutz, you sound like a total animal, but I guess we all knew that shit already. In my first rugby match, I felt stark naked out there with no shoulder pads or helmet. Once I got my sea legs, I too, really cleaned out some guys with form tackles and a few guys complimented my on my hard hitting. But the coach and some senior guys had to work with me that next week in practice. Those hard hitting tackles that you make in football are usually a detriment in rugger. In Rugby, the ball carrier must release the ball when you take him down to the pitch. By going flat out and really blasting the ball carrier, you take yourself out of the play and greatly lessen your shot to get the ball for your side.

Rugby has most of the contact around the ball. In football, I've gotten the shit knocked out of me when I was yards from the ball or the play by players blocking. There is no blocking in rugger, it's called obstruction and is a penalty.

You really have to change your act around to go from football to rugby. I've seen many guys who did what Nutz was talking about. if you don't make the switch you will hurt yourself and soon quit the game. Some of your football skills serve you well on a rugby pitch. I never lost my skills at making the low, hard form tackle hitting my opponent at a faster pace than he was hitting me. That's common to both games.

In rugby, I never watched tacklers like you do in football. Ruggers don't usually tuck the ball in the crook of their elbow and blast their opposite number. You hold the ball in both hands and are scanning the pitch. I want to find a teammate with a crisp pass or make a well placed kick to an open piece of ground. A kick in rugby is an offensive weapon. If you can make to the ball before your opponent, you retain possession and keep on rollin'.

Man, I'm gettin' fired up just typing this.

Somebody get me a time machine. I wanna play just one more match.

Tarlam!
03-30-2011, 10:13 PM
See Shep, this is where we need to differentiate between Unionj and League!!!!! Fundamentantal to the disussion, IMHO. What KY says about releasing the ball as a carrier upon hitting the turf is only relevant in Union. But the way one releases the ball is specific so the opposition has a VERY hard task gaining possession. It's very fluent, but honestly, in today's game kickers are more important in Union.

I'll explain: What we all know to be a TD in football is called a Try in both Union and League, the difference is, the ball must be grounded as opposed to just crossing the plain. Got it?

So, I was in a pub in England one day and on the big screen England was playing South Africa. There was this guy with a little terrier and every time the UK kicked a (field) goal the terrier would do a sommerault! Now, I was amazed. I asked the owner what the dog does when the team scores a try; "I don't know" he said. "I've only had him for 5 years".......

League is a totally different animal. There is something like a line of scrimmage and the are 4 "downs" but we call the tackles. In that way, it's a lot like football. Believe me, we crunched heads in League. In Union, the socalled Rucks were brutal.

Tarlam!
03-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Have you actually been to an NFL or high level Division I college game in the past 5-7 years? There are violent collisions you just do not see in a rugby match. Sorry but its pretty clear to me why there are more concussions in football then there are in rugby regardless of the padding/helmets.

Actuelly, yes. But what happens in Green Bay, STAYS in Green Bay.

KYPack
03-30-2011, 10:35 PM
I hear ya Tar.

In a discussion btw you and I about league would be one sided.

I know very little about league and have never played it. Rugby union is sparsely played over here, but league is vitually non-existent. it's played in tiny pockets in the NE US and in other places, but the number of players in this country is very small.

When people in the USA talk about rugby, they mean rugby union 99% of the time.

Tarlam!
03-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Shep, they are both wonderful sports as is Aussie Rules. But ever since I was a littl'en and saw the men in the helmets, that's all I wanted to play. I got really lucky being born in Vienna, cause 100 miles east i'de have been behind the curtain. I was extremely fortunate to be raised in one of the greatest countries in the world. So, I am in no way complaining. I just truly, in my heart, believe I'd have been an outstanding hockey player, a great TE and a useful LB.

All positions that, in Oz, are useless. But, I had a hell of a growing up in Oz as it was - without concussions!!! Call me a freak, certainly a Neandertal, I just loved the physicallity of it all.

Deputy Nutz
03-30-2011, 11:15 PM
I think I got 2 concussions playing football. I really can't pinpoint either of them and say for sure that I had one or didn't have one, but after my sophomore year I mostly played defensive and offensive line. Sure I caught a couple of knees to the helmet but I think with head injuries the offensive and defensive lines are the safest positions to play.

I know for a fact I got one in Rugby and it was my fault. Rugby sucks if you don't like running. I was a prop and I couldn't for the life of me understand why the biggest guys on the pitch had to run the most. To fucking exhusting for me. Outside of the running I didn't find the sport all that hard to figure out, find openings and be quick and accurate with the pitch and have dirty greasy speed to break the corner. Game of angles, and spliting holes in the defense. I like the pace of the game, but I wish the field was about half the size.

Deputy Nutz
03-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Tarlam, I think you would have flourished as a split end in the game of kings. You had some good hands for a European.

Tarlam!
03-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Nah, too slow for a WR, but a heck of a tackler and, well, let's face it, your throws made me look great. If any TE has a QB with your precision, he's at worst a second day pick (under the new draft procedure).

Now, you played prop? This will sound really awry for non concussed rugby knowledgables, but, I played inthe engine room. The position, ladies and gentlemen, in commonly known as "The Hooker".

VermontPackFan
03-31-2011, 06:52 AM
Actuelly, yes. But what happens in Green Bay, STAYS in Green Bay.

Good point...lol :)

MadtownPacker
03-31-2011, 03:55 PM
BTFW - has anyone called this fucking dingo out for calling us American concussion getting pussies???

Tarlam!
03-31-2011, 04:09 PM
BTFW - has anyone called this fucking dingo out for calling us American concussion getting pussies???

Um, yes. You just did. And, you are pussies for getting concussions with all that body armour and shit. Hey, you inventented the most beautiful game in the world. But, your're pussies.

Now, I'm old, but I'll tell you this: if I picked 53 to play the Pack out of my high school in the SB, we would have anniahlated them. We cracked our heads in League (Huge ddifference to Union, and what most of you call "Rugby"). We would have just fucking killed 'em. And, we'd have done it without a QB. Cause, you really can win this game without a QB.

Oh, and without helmets.

KYPack
03-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Um, yes. You just did. And, you are pussies for getting concussions with all that body armour and shit. Hey, you inventented the most beautiful game in the world. But, your're pussies.

Now, I'm old, but I'll tell you this: if I picked 53 to play the Pack out of my high school in the SB, we would have anniahlated them. We cracked our heads in League (Huge ddifference to Union, and what most of you call "Rugby"). We would have just fucking killed 'em. And, we'd have done it without a QB. Cause, you really can win this game without a QB.

Oh, and without helmets.

Well Tar, my first reaction was, "good God man, have you taken leave of your senses"?
Then I figured you'd gotten back on the old kickpoo joy juice or were joking or both.

Couple things. You get knocked cold in contacts sports, hat on or no hat on. As to the jibe about people wearing helmets getting knocked out are pussies, don't you figure if you've committed yourself that fully to a play you probably aren't a chickenshit? It's a stupid crack, but I figure you were just funning.

Ruggers strapping on the gear and beating American footbballers asses? NFW.
Rugby by definition outlaws blocking. Blocking technique and shedding blocks is a real skill. It takes years to learn and perfect those skills. It'd take the OZ's a good bit of time to be effective at both blocking and shed enough to take on a football team.

Forward passes are a penalty in Rugby. They are a way of life in American football. Again it would be a huge learning curve to develop a passing attack on a team of neophytes. There are individuals on National rugby sides from various countries that could play American football. There might be a couple guys who could even play in the NFL.

But a whole team of Oz's dominating American football becuase all the lads from down under are SOOO badass?

That's a pipe dream to the Max.

Tarlam!
03-31-2011, 10:23 PM
No way, Shep. League players learn to tackle. Hard. Fucking hard. So, my mock 53 is going to stop anything you can throw at me, and I mean anything. Now, on offense my team might struggle, but we are crafty buggers.. Without concussions.

Absolutely no way you guys could beat League plus Rules players. Union is a game for itself, and I have no problem admitiing that.

Tarlam!
03-31-2011, 10:34 PM
Forward passes are a penalty in Rugby. They are a way of life in American football. Again it would be a huge learning curve to develop a passing attack on a team of neophytes. There are individuals on National rugby sides from various countries that could play American football. There might be a couple guys who could even play in the NFL.

But a whole team of Oz's dominating American football becuase all the lads from down under are SOOO badass?

That's a pipe dream to the Max.

You're actually suggesting that the forward pass is the difference make? You, Shep? Or, you'Äre suggesting we couldn't organise some type of yard gainig offense? There is no way to make this bet, but I would so love it. Oz would kick your collective asses.

Zool
04-01-2011, 09:16 AM
You're actually suggesting that the forward pass is the difference make? You, Shep? Or, you'Äre suggesting we couldn't organise some type of yard gainig offense? There is no way to make this bet, but I would so love it. Oz would kick your collective asses.

Imagine an NFL defense has to only worry about stopping the running game of a team that has no conventional blocking skills. 10 in the box with 1 deep. Basically a goal line D at all times against a team who has never really practiced that sort of thing. You'd be better off with an arena league team. They'd at least have a chance.

If the situation was reversed and you had an NFL team trying to play the top rugby team in a rugby match, well that would be a different story.

KYPack
04-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Imagine an NFL defense has to only worry about stopping the running game of a team that has no conventional blocking skills. 10 in the box with 1 deep. Basically a goal line D at all times against a team who has never really practiced that sort of thing. You'd be better off with an arena league team. They'd at least have a chance.

If the situation was reversed and you had an NFL team trying to play the top rugby team in a rugby match, well that would be a different story.

Yes Tar, I am. And I'm probably more well versed in the skillls held by Aussie rugby players than 99.9% of Americans. I know the Aussie's are tough smart players. They relish contact and know how to think on their feet.

But they would be playing a game totally foreign to 'em. I agree with Zool 100% here. It's not a question of toughness, it a problem of learning curve. The Aussie's would probably even give the Yanks a few bad plays here and there. Buy overall, the footballers would have so many tremendous advantages due to their experience, the outcome wouldn't be close.

If I was coaching the Americans, I wouldn't have Zool's balls and play a 10-1, I'd probably play a wide tackle 6 or some flavor of a 6- 2. On offense I'd play it straight for awhile, then run a few traps and/ or sucker plays. They'd almost all work like crazy on an inexperienced defense. A conventional passing offense would work just fine. But a play action pass against a cherry defense would certainly go for long yardage.

I'm not being chauvanist here. A bunch of American footballers would get their lunch eaten trying to play a top Australian Rugger side. (league or union, I don't give a fuck which). it's an unfair advantage playing one team experienced in the game and one team making their first venture into a foreign sport.

My question here is, are you serious or just busting Yankee balls?

Deputy Nutz
04-01-2011, 01:45 PM
sorry Tarlam, Americans do something better than any other country in the world and that is playing football. Your best Aussie Rules players couldn't beat a division III football team. Toughness has nothing to do with it. Back in the day when boys were still boys and video games sucked balls, we all grew up playing backyard tackle football without pads and that is how we learned the game. It was passed down from older neighborhood kids to the younger ones. We would break noses, arms, teeth and it was all part of the experience. If you cried you got made fun of regardless how bad the injury, you got laughed off the field if you even thought about wearing a mouth guard. That was how the game used to be played. Then we put pads on and forgot how pure the game was when we were kids.

I was an offensive and defensive linemen in college, and only someone with no experience would think blocking and defeating blocks is easy, it is the hardest part of the game, ask any football coach worth a shit and he builds his team from linemen up. Last time I checked Australia wasn't a hot bed for recuiting linemen. Offensive and defensive linemen are some of the most athletic guys on the field considering their size and weight, I would take Micheal Orr one on one with any Aussie Rules player and 95 time out of a 100 that Rugger is pancaked flat on his ass, damaged, mauled, crushed. 6-8 345 pounds and quicker than shit. Does Aussie Rules have anyone playing like that?

sharpe1027
04-01-2011, 02:08 PM

Oh, and without helmets.

If true, then with all due respect, you and your boys are really missing out. Don't you realize you could be making millions of dollars a year? If you could beat the best of the best, and they are paid pretty well, how much would teams pay for your services? The sky is the limit. Get your boys on the phone, there's still time!

Guiness
04-01-2011, 07:01 PM
6-8 345 pounds and quicker than shit. Does Aussie Rules have anyone playing like that?

Nope, and for good reason - you having played both sports should know better than anyone.

6-8 345 would not be a useful Aussie rules or rugby player. Sure, he'd flatten anyone who got near him...so they'd run away from him 15 minutes into the game, his tongue would be hanging to his knees, and they'd be administering him oxygen!

The sports, while similar, are different enough that different body styles and conditioning excel at each one. Can you imagine the sight of a rugby player getting oxygen on the sideline? Yet it's a common occurrence in American football.

KYPack
04-01-2011, 09:29 PM
That is the other big transistion you have to make from football to rugby. No helmets, no pads, no huddles. rugby is a continous, transistion sport. You can't be grossly out of condidtion to play rugger. You might see a heavy dude on a rugby pitch, but the guy will be in condition to run. You have to be.

MadtownPacker
04-02-2011, 09:11 AM

Oh, and without helmets.Dammit this mfer started drinking that 151 proof shit again.....

Listen you fucking kangaroo beater, next time we all get together we are gonna have you and Nutty go at it and see which one is tougher. I'll put my money on the dirty White boy over the dirty descendant of Euro criminals.

woodbuck27
04-02-2011, 09:59 AM

In Rugby the tackles are around the feet if done best. In Rugby the grappling tackles are from close contact as it's difficult for the fella carrying the ball to get free for a run on shot or one with maximum contact.

In Pro football we see too many illegal hits to the head and neck. The same goes for the NHL. Many are demanding change.

It's crazy the way hockey helmuts are designed without much improvement or innovation. At least in Pro football their players are afforded better helmut design to protect them.

What we are left with is fans that desire the big hits and I mean especially American fans of the NHL who will not join forces with those so concerned about player concussions and illiminating as much as possible hits that may 'in fact' soon kill a man. Players in the NHL are getting biger al the time as the Americam psyche demands more contact and roughness.

This is a huge concern for fans of hockey in Canada. It's in our sports pages almost every day, especially since the loss of The Pittsburg Penguins Sydney Crosby and other prominant players in the league.

th87
04-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Wait, so Australians are somehow better than Americans at stopping their brains from hitting their skulls? Is this what I was supposed to get out of this?

Tarlam!
04-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Wait, so Australians are somehow better than Americans at stopping their brains from hitting their skulls? Is this what I was supposed to get out of this?

Sure seems that way.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-02-2011, 12:58 PM

They have less mass up there.

th87
04-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Sure seems that way.

Oh okay. Do they have thicker cerebro-spinal fluid? I'm really curious!

th87
04-02-2011, 01:12 PM
They have less mass up there.

Haha. But apparently there are genetic differences between people of similar descent!

Tarlam!
04-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Oh okay. Do they have thicker cerebro-spinal fluid? I'm really curious!

Geez, TH, I'm no scientist, mate. I just made an observation that I have no explaination for. I know everyone keeps telling me how violent the hits are. I had never actually held a helmet in my hands until when I started this thread. Then I got drunk and my bragging mood and, heck, I'm an Aussie through and through. Of course I'm gonna hold up a flag and wave it wildly. I still don't get it, but I'll just have to trust the more experienced posters.

Tarlam!
04-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Haha. But apparently there are genetic differences between people of similar descent!

I don't want this to sound racial in any way shape or form: I have a buddy that's from Idaho and his theory is that during the black slave times, breeding programmes were in place to get the kind of slaves that would get a high price. I can only give you my observation and that is African Americans are much stronger and bigger that those in Africa. I visited both places and I can compare.

The problem with that logic, however, that it doesn't work in other countries that have large populations with African ancestry e.g. Brazil, which I've also visited.

th87
04-02-2011, 05:17 PM
So then are you saying that Aussies have some type of genetic superiority with respect to concussions? I'd have to disagree there. Here's what I consider the more logical explanation:

NFL players produce among the most force of any human in the world. Force = mass x velocity. NFL players have the highest combination of size and speed in the world. Adding the equipment makes them even heavier. This force knocking someone's head against the ground is immense. Also, current helmets can't really stop concussions THAT well, because the brain is floating in cerebro-spinal fluid, and if the head suddenly stops (as in the case of a player's head hitting the ground), the brain is still moving until it hits the skull.

And a concussion is a concussion. Just like how a bone is either fractured or it isn't. It has nothing to do with toughness or whatever.

So if Aussies are truly better at avoiding concussions, the only superiority they could have is if they somehow have thicker cerebro-spinal fluid that stops the brain from crashing into the skull. Which, of course, sounds crazy.

Haha, I really hope it was the booze that said your team would beat the SUPER BOWL CHAMPION GREEN BAY PACKERS in FOOTBALL.

Sorry for calling you out like this, but come on. :D

Tarlam!
04-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Sorry for calling you out like this, but come on. :D

That's why we're, TH, no feathers ruffled on this side of the pond. :)

KYPack
04-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I figured you were screwing around or were loaded, Tar.

I looked around on the net. Rugby around the world has concussion issues. All the people that study this are trying to figure out how to handle the problem.

- It's worse than people thought.

- Mandatory "sitting out" periods may make the problem worse as players will mask their symptoms to avoid losing playing time.

- soft helmets used by Rugby league players don't seem to be effective.

- We are basically still in the dark ages.

- the data is the same in Lithuania as it is in Australia. Any time you got 30 crazy mfers running into one another, people get knocked the fuck out.

http://http://theconcussionblog.com/2010/10/27/rugby-article/

Hope the linky works

TennesseePackerBacker
04-02-2011, 08:40 PM
You've got an extra http in there KY.

It's amazing to think what we'll know about concussions in 15 years considering what we've learned in the last 15.

I hope many more ex-players donate their brains to be studied postmortem. That's the greatest gift they can give to advancing the understanding of concussions.

And, TH - What's a couple .000%?

Scott Campbell
04-02-2011, 08:58 PM
sorry Tarlam, Americans do something better than any other country in the world and that is playing football. Your best Aussie Rules players couldn't beat a division III football team. Toughness has nothing to do with it. Back in the day when boys were still boys and video games sucked balls, we all grew up playing backyard tackle football without pads and that is how we learned the game. It was passed down from older neighborhood kids to the younger ones. We would break noses, arms, teeth and it was all part of the experience. If you cried you got made fun of regardless how bad the injury, you got laughed off the field if you even thought about wearing a mouth guard. That was how the game used to be played. Then we put pads on and forgot how pure the game was when we were kids.

I was an offensive and defensive linemen in college, and only someone with no experience would think blocking and defeating blocks is easy, it is the hardest part of the game, ask any football coach worth a shit and he builds his team from linemen up. Last time I checked Australia wasn't a hot bed for recuiting linemen. Offensive and defensive linemen are some of the most athletic guys on the field considering their size and weight, I would take Micheal Orr one on one with any Aussie Rules player and 95 time out of a 100 that Rugger is pancaked flat on his ass, damaged, mauled, crushed. 6-8 345 pounds and quicker than shit. Does Aussie Rules have anyone playing like that?

The state of Utah is producing a quite a few Samoan and Tongan NFL linemen. But they grow up playing football here.

This is just an anecdotal observation, but if Aussies were able to make it in the NFL, they'd be over here in droves earning the big bucks.

esoxx
04-03-2011, 12:39 AM
I took this as an April Fool's joke that went awry. Very awry.

mraynrand
04-03-2011, 06:13 AM
I hope many more ex-players donate their brains to be studied postmortem.

Jolly shoulda waited until he died.

Deputy Nutz
04-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Nope, and for good reason - you having played both sports should know better than anyone.

6-8 345 would not be a useful Aussie rules or rugby player. Sure, he'd flatten anyone who got near him...so they'd run away from him 15 minutes into the game, his tongue would be hanging to his knees, and they'd be administering him oxygen!

The sports, while similar, are different enough that different body styles and conditioning excel at each one. Can you imagine the sight of a rugby player getting oxygen on the sideline? Yet it's a common occurrence in American football.

I certainly didn't say that we would play their game. Tarlam said that Aussie Rules players would come over here and whip our asses at football, the American kind. My point with Orr is that there is nobody his size or his ability that plays Aussie that could come here and dominate.

I was never a big offensive or defensive linemen, I played at 225, and I about passed out playing Rugby, what a stupid game.

Guiness
04-03-2011, 02:27 PM
I certainly didn't say that we would play their game. Tarlam said that Aussie Rules players would come over here and whip our asses at football, the American kind. My point with Orr is that there is nobody his size or his ability that plays Aussie that could come here and dominate.

I was never a big offensive or defensive linemen, I played at 225, and I about passed out playing Rugby, what a stupid game.

Exactly, and I was agreeing with you - just pointing out how different the games are, that at the top level, players are not interchangeable. Even a game like the CFL is different, a lot of NFL players that come up here and play are too 'muscle-bound' for the more wide open Canadian game. RB's and WR's who show up looking like that are said to be in 'NFL shape'.

KYPack
04-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Try this link

http:/theconcussionblog.com/2010/10/27/rugby-article/