PDA

View Full Version : Odds and ends from Thursday night's practice:

woodbuck27
08-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Thursday, August 10, 2006

Favre completes pass from his knees

Odds and ends from Thursday night's practice:

* Quarterback Brett Favre slipped while dropping back to pass but still managed to fire a bullet from his knees to running back Samkon Gado.

* Place-kicker Billy Cundiff made 4 of 5 field goals attempts, with the longest coming from 42 yards. Dave Rayner converted 3 of 5 field goals, with misses from 42 and 48 yards.

* Tackle Todd Williams knocked defensive end Jason Hunter on his backside during one-on-one line drills.

* In seven-on-seven drills, cornerback Charles Woodson made a nice breakup near the sidelines of an Aaron Rodgers pass intended for Chad Lucas.

* Former Packers center Frank Winters watched Thursday night's practice from the sidelines.

* Practice lasted slightly more than 2 hours, with most of it devoted to preparation for the San Diego preseason game.

-- Mike Vandermause, Rob Demovsky, Pete Dougherty, Green Bay Press-Gazette

TE David Martin hurts hand

Tight end David Martin had his left hand wrapped and was dressed in shorts during practice Thursday night. Coach Mike McCarthy said afterward that the injury wasn't serious and he expected Martin to be available for the preseason game Saturday night.

Defensive lineman Kenny Peterson limped off the field with an injury to his ankle. Peterson got his ankle taped and returned to the field after missing a good portion of practice.

-- Dylan Tomlinson, Appleton Post-Crescent

Receivers can't hang on

Several Packers receivers struggled to hang on to the football during one stretch of practice Thursday night. Within roughly a 10-minute span, the following receivers dropped passes: tight ends Donald Lee, Bubba Franks and Tory Humphrey, and wideouts Cory Rodgers and Chris Francies.

One receiver who made several nice catches throughout the night practice was Ruvell Martin. In the face of all the drops by his teammates, Martin was clearly the best-looking receiver on the field Thursday.

-- Mike Vandermause, Green Bay Press-Gazette

woodbuck27
08-10-2006, 11:38 PM
All quarterbacks will see action

Highlights from head coach Mike McCarthy’s Thursday morning press conference following a 90-minute practice:

* All four quarterbacks on the roster -- Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Ingle Martin and Brian Wrobel -- will get playing time Saturday against San Diego, according to McCarthy.

* McCarthy plans to call the plays on offense.

* He isn’t going to worry about starters getting injured in preseason games. “You play scared, something’s going to happen,” said McCarthy. “You’ve got to get out there and play.”

* He is leaning toward starting Ryan Pickett and Colin Cole at the defensive tackle positions. “What I like about the defensive line is the depth we have and the ability to rotate,” said McCarthy.

* He indicated Thursday night’s full-pads practice would be shorter than normal.

* Practice on Friday will be held at Lambeau Field and is closed. McCarthy said it would involve a walk-through in shorts and would primarily serve as a review session.

-- Mike Vandermause, Green Bay Press-Gazette

Packers4Glory
08-11-2006, 12:42 AM
what the hell is wrong w/ our WR and not being able to catch the damn ball?

Watching an offense that continually shoots itself in the foot by stupid penalties and dropped or tipped balls for INTs.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-11-2006, 02:01 AM
What I don't get is how you play wide receiver in the nfl, which means you should the best hands in the world, and can't even catch.

I play with my buds all the time and I hardly ever drop a pass.

RashanGary
08-11-2006, 02:27 AM
Driver/Jennings/Martin

The rest are junk right now. Maybe Rodger can get lasic and catch the ball, but the rest of the recievers just looked consistantly like crap to me.

Driver #1 Jennings #2 and everyone else way back with Martin being the only other reliable target.

Packers4Glory
08-11-2006, 05:09 AM
i'm sorry but IIRC I've read stuff about Martin dropping his fair share of balls thus far.

Terry
08-11-2006, 07:55 AM
What I don't get is how you play wide receiver in the nfl, which means you should the best hands in the world, and can't even catch.

There's a big difference between softball and hardball.

Bretsky
08-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Driver/Jennings/Martin

The rest are junk right now. Maybe Rodger can get lasic and catch the ball, but the rest of the recievers just looked consistantly like crap to me.

Driver #1 Jennings #2 and everyone else way back with Martin being the only other reliable target.

Being way too nice with Martin, who IMO still may not make the team.

Driver is real deal
Jennings seems to be
Ferguson is Najeh Basket Material
Gardner has the ability but may not have the work ethic to step it up
Boerigter was never that good; he's a #5
Then there's a bunch of Taco Wallaces

SOME SAID IT THEN, AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN, WHEN TT REACHED FOR RODGERS THERE WERE STILL A FEW WR'S IN THE DRAFT THAT COULD HAVE HELPED US HERE. DEMETRIUS WILLIAMS BEING ONE AND THERE WERE A COUPLE OTHERS IF MEMORY ISN'T FAILING ME. RODGERS WAS A CRAP PICK.

TT should be trying to do something here. Even Lelie would make this group look so much better and I'm not a big fan of his. Porter at the right price would be nice.

vince
08-11-2006, 08:05 AM
I'm surprised Cole is getting the start with Pickett. I was under the impression he was down the depth chart...

GBRulz
08-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Cory Rodgers was getting booed pretty heavily at practice last night from what I heard.

Some of these fans need to take a prozac or two and chill the hell out, it's practice.

Packers4Glory
08-11-2006, 08:16 AM
I can't believe they didn't get Lelie in the Walker trade...it made perfect sense to swap one for the other.

I'd take him or Porter right now.

Rodgers sucks. I know its early and goes against what I said about AJ, but the fact is this guy is sucking at catching punt, which is why he was drafted. He can't catch them w/ no pressure, and he can't seem to catch a pass either from reports. Not to mention he is a dumbass.

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2006, 08:34 AM
They turned Javon into 4 or 5 draft picks, and quite a few of those guys are looking good. What would our team look like if we didn't have Jennings or Colledge. Would you take Lelie over Jennings or College + three other players? I wouldn't.

Partial
08-11-2006, 08:37 AM
I'm surprised Cole is getting the start with Pickett. I was under the impression he was down the depth chart...

Then you clearly haven't watched the latest edition of Cole Train. He's a beast and their best run defender!!

Rastak
08-11-2006, 08:38 AM
The turned Javon into 4 or 5 draft picks, and quite a few of those guys are looking good. What it look like if we didn't have Jennings or Colledge. Would take Lelie over Jennings or College + three other players? I wouldn't.

That was a better deal than trading Culpepper for Ryan Cook...... :cry:

Partial
08-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Lelie is overrated. He'll never be a one, and likely will never be a good two. He's a straight line deep threat and thats it, and he's average at that as well.

He would not fit the WCO at all.

run pMc
08-11-2006, 09:28 AM
[quote="Rastak
That was a better deal than trading Culpepper for Ryan Cook...... :cry:[/quote]

So true! I've been thinking about that all off-season in contrast to what TT got for JWalk. Trading JWalk really hurts, but he didn't want to play for GB. I'm guessing it's either an ego thing or he's getting bad advice (not on a Clarett scale, but still...).

With that in mind I'm not complaining about the trade yet. GB got a bunch of players who may be starters -- with a rookie salary cap number.

As far as Cory Rodgers goes, I'm not gonna dis the kid..it's 2 weeks into TC, and WR is a tough position to pick up in the pros. I always got the impression a case of the dropsies was contagious among receiving corps...and goes as quickly as it arrives. I like that he's putting in extra time fielding punts -- that tells me he's got a work ethic. Plus the coaches are messing with his fielding technique, so there's an adjustment period.

All that being said, I don't know that he'll make the final cutdown. He may be a practice squad guy that gets called up mid-season when someone's hammy acts up. That would give him more time to get comfortable with the offense and the punts. I can't see Woodson returning punts...pretty risky thing for a coach to have your starting CB do.

BallHawk
08-11-2006, 11:19 AM
SOME SAID IT THEN, AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN, WHEN TT REACHED FOR RODGERS THERE WERE STILL A FEW WR'S IN THE DRAFT THAT COULD HAVE HELPED US HERE. DEMETRIUS WILLIAMS BEING ONE AND THERE WERE A COUPLE OTHERS IF MEMORY ISN'T FAILING ME. RODGERS WAS A CRAP PICK.

The only one who I think really could of helped us was Roddy White and Reggie Brown. Brown would of been a reach there, but he could of picked White. I'm really interested to see how Rodgers plays against San Diego and others. If he isn't ready by next season, than we can start calling him a bust, but it's still to early to call him a bust. Hopefully Favre will still be around next season, though.

Partial
08-11-2006, 11:26 AM

The only one who I think really could of helped us was Roddy White and Reggie Brown. Brown would of been a reach there, but he could of picked White. I'm really interested to see how Rodgers plays against San Diego and others. If he isn't ready by next season, than we can start calling him a bust, but it's still to early to call him a bust. Hopefully Favre will still be around next season, though.

Honestly, I am pretty confident in A-Rod. It looks like he is getting infinitely better. Next year, with a second training camp in the same system, I expect he'll be spot on

woodbuck27
08-11-2006, 12:05 PM
"TT should be trying to do something here. Even Lelie would make this group look so much better and I'm not a big fan of his. Porter at the right price would be nice." Bretsky

Nooooo Kidding !!!!!!!!!

T2 would allow the Bears to steal Ashley Lelie.

Spend some money Ted - make a trade now, whatever it takes we need a quality WR !!!!!

woodbuck27
08-11-2006, 12:08 PM
B.

When we are even considering Ruvell Martin as OUR #3 WR.

What does that say to you?

pbmax
08-11-2006, 04:05 PM
what the hell is wrong w/ our WR and not being able to catch the damn ball?

Watching an offense that continually shoots itself in the foot by stupid penalties and dropped or tipped balls for INTs.
M3 told T2 to getr him bigger receivers. He must not have specified models that could also catch. But wait until you see them zone block!

woodbuck27
08-11-2006, 08:14 PM
" He must not have specified models that could also catch. " pbmax

Yes . . . but could we afford that option?

woodbuck27
08-11-2006, 08:15 PM

It's only hard to catch in Wisconsin. :mrgreen: