PDA

View Full Version : DRAFT DAY TRADES

Bretsky
03-31-2011, 09:42 PM
If I'm not mistaken, players on NFL teams right now cannot be traded.

Can anybody confirm this ?

When last year's draft went down there was plenty of excitement buzzing about teams trading players for picks.

We've had pipe dreams of getting a 2nd for Matt Flynn to win.

Kolb will likely bring a high second or low first.

McNabb could be dealt

Am I right in my thinking that until an agreement is reached players on NFL can't even be traded ?

The draft might be a bit less exciting if this is the case.

Freak Out
03-31-2011, 10:37 PM
I heard the same....no trades until a deal is done. But shit......I'm not sure and I'm not going to research it.

Bretsky
03-31-2011, 10:40 PM
I don't want to research it either; I thought I caught it on the NFL network

somebody in here hopefully will know and post tomorrow

Freak Out
03-31-2011, 10:45 PM
Man we are some lazy football fans. :)

Tarlam!
03-31-2011, 11:32 PM
Man we are some lazy football fans. :)

Nah, we're good. We just know stuff. Fact is, no trades until a deal is in place. It's pretty much common knowledge.

Lurker64
03-31-2011, 11:42 PM
Yeah, as part of the lockout not only can NFL teams not contact NFL players, they cannot sign NFL players, they cannot trade players who are under contract, and just recently the NFL said that teams cannot even discuss trading players who are under contract.

Draft picks, and future draft picks may be traded because those are just numbers.

I believe, and I may be wrong about this, that during the draft the rights to a player may be traded (like when San Diego traded the rights to Eli Manning to New York for the rights to Philip Rivers and other picks), but after the conclusion of the draft all drafted players go into the pool of NFL players and are hence locked out.

So teams less than 48 hours to cajole their first round picks to fly into town for a press conference, before they are locked out. (Picks are made thursday night, draft ends saturday afternoon).

pittstang5
04-01-2011, 06:47 AM
Yep, what Lurker said is true. Plus, teams can't even signed undrafted players after the draft, which sucks too. No Sam Shields or Frank Zombo this year.

Also, this really sucks if the Packers were looking to move Barnett. I think the draft would be the best time to move a player like him.

Smeefers
04-01-2011, 08:17 AM
I don't know why they couldn't trade. "Hey, you draft joe schmoe, and I'll give you Ugly Kid Joe when the Labor thing is worked out." As for signing undrafted guys... nothing stops a team from doing that after the labor thing. In fact, if they're not drafted, that means they're not part of the NFL what so ever, so what's stopping a team from signing a guy and then not talking to them? Also, something that I've never understood... why can't they talk? Is it because a few guys are sueing the NFL? It's not like the players can't talk to the team, they're not a union any more so each guy should be able to "cross the lines" or whatever. It has to be a NFL policy right? But why wouldn't the NFL want coaches to talk to players? What's the big deal? IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE! If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't of spent that year in college.

retailguy
04-01-2011, 07:34 PM
players cannot be traded until they have an agreement. they also can't be waived, cut, signed, or re-signed.