PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Games in Packers History

HarveyWallbangers
04-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Personally, I think the guy is off a bit. :-D

I'd have last year's Super Bowl victory and the Monday night game vs. Washington on the list over the 1992 game against the Bengals and loss to the 49ers (which wasn't really a well-played game, but was close; Rice fumbled). There are several other games that I would have picked over those two games.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Ten-greatest-games-in-franchise-history/4d4f49fc-dba6-4be7-942b-6e7a6aa911d6

Guiness
04-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Game #9...that helmet to helmet hit that caused the fumble still galls me

I'm not sure how the '97 SB win isn't there. The crowning moment at the end of the resurgence after a long stretch of futility.

MadScientist
04-11-2011, 01:06 PM
The list is haphazard at best. Greatest games should either be stand alone incredible games (e.g. the Monday Night Washington game), or be a crowning achievement game. There was nothing great about the loss to the 49ers or the Broncos, and while there were some things worth consideration in the Bengals game, I don't think it really rates above even the "Replay Game". The '97 Super Bowl win was much greater than either of those.

In any case it's hard to justify any loss as a great game. Packer losses by definition suck.

Freak Out
04-11-2011, 01:39 PM
What the hell? This guy is a Packer fan?

Patler
04-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Quoting from the writer, this about says it all as to the oddity of his rationale:

Green Bay has appeared in five Super Bowls, but the lone loss is the only one to make this list.

mraynrand
04-11-2011, 02:14 PM
I would have put the upset at SF in the 1995 Divisional game or the 1996 home regular season victory over SF ahead of the 1998 loss at SF.

Great games are the kind that have fans leaping up and down and hugging each other, going out to celebrate afterwards, running in shorts in 5°F weather and jumping in snow banks. Great games don't have you throwing your shoe at the TV because Rice fumbled or the ref blew a personal foul facemasking call.

I vote for the Redskins MNF game and the instant replay game over any loss on the list. I vote for the Favre to Sharpe playoff game over any loss too.

I might add that 60s victory over Detroit in the regular season. I think it was 1962 Detroit killed them later in the year on Thanksgiving and might have been the better team, but the Packers slugged out a 9-7 victory in October. All right, maybe it wasn't a great game, but they had to have it over a very tough Detroit team

bobblehead
04-11-2011, 11:21 PM
4 superbowl wins. 1-4 on my list hands down.

pacfan
04-11-2011, 11:49 PM
The OT win over SF when Jacke kicks the 53 yd FG, I heard the enitire city block (Milwaukee) cheering for that win. Jim Irwin nearly had a heart attack calling the game. That whole 1996 season was magical.

The Detroit play-off game when Favre hits Sharpe for theTD.

The replay game over the Bears.

Super Bowl XLV

so many to pick from......

channtheman
04-12-2011, 12:11 AM
So many great wins that I don't know how or why you would have losses on a list like this... maybe he could put a list with greatest Packer losses, but that's just stupid. What a bad list.

easy cheesy
04-12-2011, 02:06 AM
OK... blah.... blah.... blah... maybe I'm just an outta touch jerk... so... allow me that...BUT.... the greatest was taking the Halas Trophy in Chicago against those asswipes and then (SECOND BEST) winning the SUPERBOWL! WERE THOSE NOT THE GREATEST GAMES? FUCK PEOPLE!!!!!!! ***sinking into corner and apologizing for being such a loud mouth asshole!***

Tarlam!
04-12-2011, 07:39 AM
From Packers.com:

Jen from Las Vegas, NV

Who compiles these lists on packers.com? I love all these extra videos that are provided to us fans in the offseason, but this latest one, well, sucks. How can losing Super Bowl XXXII, or Jerry Rice's non-fumble game be considered great games? Super Bowl XLV was a great game; two legacy teams, game down to the wire. Not to mention Super Bowl XXXI; first Packers Super Bowl win in almost 30 years. Maybe you guys have a different view of what a great game is, but most of us fans prefer a list of games that have more wins than losses. Maybe those games we lost could be in a most memorable list.

Vic: In other words, you don’t want a list of the greatest games in Packers history, you want a list of the greatest wins in Packers history, right? Mike Spofford compiles the lists and I thought he did a fantastic job achieving balance in his list of greatest games. Not all great games were played since Coach Lombardi arrived in Green Bay. The Packers had a team before he arrived and it was a team that won big games and helped establish the foundation of the NFL. Mike acknowledged those games from that era, as he should. He also found the meaning in defeat. The loss to the Eagles in the 1960 championship game was the springboard to everything that happened after it. How could it not be identified as a great game?