PDA

View Full Version : Booing at practice?

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2006, 08:06 AM
I can't see booing any player--unless the player is slacking. This just isn't right. I saw these types at some of the training camps when I used to get out to Green Bay, and I hate it. It's classless, and it's unlike most Packer fans. Let's fact it. It isn't going to help the kid improve. In fact, it will probably contribute to a continued loss in confidence. Give the kid a chance.

Rodgers dropping the ball on punt returns
By Rob Demovsky

The way Cory Rodgers caught the ball in practice on Thursday, there's no way coach Mike McCarthy can feel comfortable putting the rookie on the field as a punt returner.

Rodgers, the Green Bay Packers' fourth-round draft pick who ranked eighth in the nation in punt return average (15.3 yards per return) last year as a junior at Texas Christian University, lined up to receive 13 punts in the non-pads, morning practice. He mishandled four of them. Two he dropped. One he juggled and one other he caught but fell in the process. Even some of the ones he caught, he looked shaky doing so.

It was a continuation of what has been nearly two weeks worth of adventurous return opportunities — not a good sign for a player who was drafted to compete with cornerback Charles Woodson for the punt return job.

The Packers saw nothing in Rodgers' college films to suggest he might have trouble catching the ball.

Working behind Robert Ferguson as the 'X,' or split end, Rodgers has not had an inordinate number of drops.

"If we were worried about it, I don't think we would have picked him," McCarthy said between practices. "He's young. Part of it, I'm not making excuses for the guy, but I can't tell you how many — those juniors — it just takes time with those guys. It's frustrating, but you have to be patient. Juniors are tough."

McCarthy apparently has more patience than the fans who lined up along Oneida Street to watch Thursday morning's practice.

"They were over there booing him," McCarthy said. "He's getting booed out at practice. That's not good. But that's all good for him. That's all part of playing in this league, because if he can't do it out here, there's no way he's going to do it up in that building (Lambeau Field)."

McCarthy almost certainly will go with Woodson as his No. 1 punt returner. He reiterated he's not opposed to using a starting position player on special teams.

Rodgers will continue working behind Woodson, who was held out of the morning practice. Rodgers split the punt return reps with second-year free agent Jerron Wishom, who caught the ball far more cleanly than did Rodgers.

"He'll get the hang of it," Wishom said. "He probably had to just adjust, because in college, the punters aren't as good as the ones in the NFL."

Rodgers said he's struggling because special teams coach Mike Stock has asked him to change the way he catches punts. At TCU, he said the coaching staff didn't mind if he caught punts at the side of his body or over his shoulder. Stock wants Rodgers to catch it with his shoulders square to the ball, so in case the ball comes loose, it's in front of him and more easily can be recovered.

"It's one of the hardest jobs in football, and people don't realize that," Rodgers said. "With me, I'm just trying to get more comfortable with the way my coach wants me to do it. Once I do that, I'll be fine."

With every mishandled punt, the pressure mounts. He said he's trying to not let it mess with his psyche, and in an effort to iron out the problems, he has been showing up before practice and catching 100 punts each day.

What makes matters worse for Rodgers is how easily Woodson makes it look.

"Woodson is such a great athlete, and it comes naturally to him," Rodgers said. "He's so relaxed back there. I'm back there and a million things are going through my head."

GBRulz
08-11-2006, 08:09 AM
I just mentioned this in the thread from yesterday's training camp report. A couple friends told me he was getting booed.

I agree, it's BS. I've never heard booing at practice before.

MJZiggy
08-11-2006, 08:23 AM
If it continues, I wouldn't be surprised if they move some of his work indoors. Obviously, though, Demovsky wasn't listening to Coach two days ago when Rodgers earned praise for putting extra work in trying to improve. He's struggling and neither Demovsky nor the fans are doing anything to help him right now.

RashanGary
08-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Well, it is what it is. I get the feeling Lasic would do Rodgers some good. Walker had contacts and as soon as he went lasic, he caught everything. I think Rodgers would benefit from the same surgery.

Partial
08-11-2006, 08:45 AM
Well, it is what it is. I get the feeling Lasic would do Rodgers some good. Walker had contacts and as soon as he went lasic, he caught everything. I think Rodgers would benefit from the same surgery.

Ferg had that too, and I don't think he caught a pass worth mentioning last season

GBRulz
08-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Lasik surgery helped Longwell, too. (he said)

perhaps he could see the holder better?

Scott Campbell
08-11-2006, 08:51 AM

Do we even know if he needs it?

Partial
08-11-2006, 08:57 AM

he'd fine more to whine about. In his case, less vision = more hapiness!

woodbuck27
08-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Cory Rodgers must be feeling alot of pressure and now more than ever I'm pulling for him to be everything he can be as a punt returner.

The people booing him, are certainly making it more - than a difficult situation - rather far worse. What are these Packer fans? - thinking but not thinking? Dam Railbirds - we call that type up here. Screwballs that never excelled at athletics and rally around one another like an angry mob.

It's very disturbing Harvey - everyone.

Do any of you re-call your first little League tryouts, and the pressure you felt to do well? It has to be alot like that for Cory Rodgers. As M3 said it's difficult expecting too much too soon with most College Juniors that make the jump to the Pro's early. I had no idea that the railbird's were on his back.

That sucks !

Cory Rodgers situation as we see it now - comes with the territory. See Coach M3's position. He's also having to learn a new catching tecnique with his shoulders straight upfield so that if he fumbles he has a decent chance of recovery. Scruteny from fans and of course his Coach.

I understand his problems alot better now.

Come on Cory Rodgers - show em !!!! All normal Packer fans are behind you young man.

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH in 2006 !!

justanotherpackfan
08-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Come on Cory Rodgers - show em !!!! All normal Packer fans are behind you young man.

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH in 2006 !!
I'm with you woodbuck, I'm really pulling for him.

Terry
08-11-2006, 11:00 PM

Maybe it just changed him from being far sighted to being short sighted. He could see the holder and what the holder was doing wrong better, but he could no longer see the goal posts.

Deputy Nutz
08-11-2006, 11:32 PM
I went to my first practice on monday, and people sure do need to realize that it is only a practice, and they should be lucky to view such an event. They should sit there and keep their mouths shut one way or another and just enjoy the experience. People shouldn't be asking players for pictures while they are out on the playing field, it is a fricken joke. If fans want to keep this kind of behavior up, then expect the players to stop all the interacting they do with these fans, signing autographs while they walk up to the practice field, and back from the practice field. They were all so very gracious, and to me it is apalling that some morons would consider it proper to boo during practice.

GrnBay007
08-11-2006, 11:38 PM
and to me it is apalling that some morons would consider it proper to boo during practice.

Exactly!! I think it's terrible of a fan to boo a practice OR a game. Absolutely no need for that.

esoxx
08-12-2006, 01:01 AM
Booing players at practice = LAME

And if any of you out there reading this have booed at practice, you should have your balls kicked by Jon Ryan. And if it was any of you ladies who booed...well I'll think of a punishment for you too...and you won't like it. Well maybe just a little.

Scott Campbell
08-12-2006, 08:44 AM
and to me it is apalling that some morons would consider it proper to boo during practice.

Exactly!! I think it's terrible of a fan to boo a practice OR a game. Absolutely no need for that.

I think there's a big difference. At a game you are a paying customer, and have paid for the right. At practice you are a guest, and should behave like one. And the autograph hounds make me sick. Can't these guys realize they're interrupting their jobs. Some of these guys are in dogfights just to make the roster. Let em work.

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2006, 10:12 AM
I think there's a big difference. At a game you are a paying customer, and have paid for the right. At practice you are a guest, and should behave like one. And the autograph hounds make me sick. Can't these guys realize they're interrupting their jobs. Some of these guys are in dogfights just to make the roster. Let em work.

Exactly. Adults should stay away from the autographs--unless they have a kid with. I hear these horror stories about not getting an autograph from a player, and then I think back to how rude some people are when trying to get the autograph (e.g. not saying please or thanks, etc.), and it makes me think that person was one of those types.

GBRulz
08-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Exactly. Adults should stay away from the autographs--unless they have a kid with.

I don't agree with that statement at all.

Go watch some of the practices, the people that stick out like a sore thumb as being a genuine fan seeking an autograph vs the ones who are going to sell for profit is a big difference. and most of the time it's teenagers there with a backpack full of stuff, depending on who is signing. That is the stuff that end up on eBay.

and also, I have seen MANY parents forcing their kids to get something signed for the parents own benefit. I've seen the extreme of having their kid crawl under the fence (before the renovation) to enter the players lot to get autographs.

People just need to learn courtesy. I agree about one thing, sometimes the adults are worse than the kids.

BananaMan
08-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Staying on topic, booing is just unacceptable. In games, practices, whenever. Us Packer fans should have more class than that.

Support your team through thick and thin!

RashanGary
08-12-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm glad to see most think the booing is too much. It is a practice. This is how they get better. Nobody needs to be booed when learning their job. When I'm a new survey tech, I'm not going to want the whole firm outside booing when I f-up, like i'm bound to do.

BF4MVP
08-12-2006, 12:46 PM
No one should be booing...They don't have to ride the kids' bikes to practice, or even let everyone watch em practice..

GBRulz
08-12-2006, 01:11 PM
No one should be booing...They don't have to ride the kids' bikes to practice, or even let everyone watch em practice..

I agree with you BF4, but you'll never see things change at training camp. Whether it's the bikes, the open practices, etc. Simply because TC brings in major mula.

Terry
08-12-2006, 01:27 PM
I think there's a big difference. At a game you are a paying customer, and have paid for the right.

What has 'paying' got to do with it? You think you buy dignity? Class? Compassion? Manners? You think 'rights' are paid for?

Frankly, never mind 'paying', I think it's not a 'right' at all. People confuse power or license with rights. But if it IS a right, then paying for it makes no difference. (Of course, in the real world it does, but I would quibble with the use of the word 'right' - I think it's more a matter of 'power'). Being a guest is irrelevant - those people are not guests, it's their damned team!

esoxx
08-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Booing at games is different than at practice though. Even though I don't boo at games either, if someone feels compelled to boo then boo if you feel you have to. Somone's out there hotdogging it or not giving effort, boo if you want. Throwing things onto the field at games is the no-no.

GrnBay007
08-12-2006, 04:56 PM
If you are a fan you don't BOO period.....game, practice...whatever! Gawd don't start some sheet about rights.

If you are at a game you are obviously there because you are a fan..........DO IT WITH STYLE. Don't humiliate YOUR team with the boo! Is the boo'in going to change things? hell no, it's going to cause confusion and detriment to the team.

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2006, 05:10 PM
I can see booing in only two instances: 1) a player acts like a complete jerk (like Dwayne Rudd for the Vikings vs. the Bears in 1998) or 2) the team doesn't show up at all (like the Packers vs. the Titans a couple of years ago).

GrnBay007
08-12-2006, 05:19 PM
I can see booing in only two instances: or 2) the team doesn't show up at all (like the Packers vs. the Titans a couple of years ago).

I was at that game. It was horrible....esp since we paid so much for 50 yard line seats. It didn't matter though.....still all I could think was those there were boo'ing were showing a total lack of class. Either support the team or don't. Why be a fan if you could possibly imagine that the coaches/players don't also see the crappy thing going on that you do as a fan?

MJZiggy
08-12-2006, 05:54 PM
That's a good point. Aren't we supposed to be there to cheer them on? Isn't it supposed to be a productive shot in the arm? Booing is more like a shot in the foot as that is what it will do to a rookie's confidence level. That is detrimental to the team and (redundantly) highly counterproductive. not to mention completely classless. I find it humorous to sit and watch an opposing teams fans boo their team. Makes 'em look seriously bad in my eyes.

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2006, 05:56 PM
I wouldn't boo, but when the fans booed during that game, I wasn't upset with them. I think even the players realized that they deserved to get booed that game.

BooHoo
08-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Nothing good can come from booing at practice.

Signed BooHoo

4and12to12and4
08-12-2006, 07:45 PM
I just deleted a seven paragraph rant, got up, went to the fridge, and in 12 minutes drank four Corona's (without lime-too lazy to go to the grocery store) because of this topic. So starting over I do want to say this ...

Booing a player - WHEN HE IS TRYING HIS BEST- is classless and I have personally told people off for doing so. (In fact, just this past Friday at Wrigley Field after the Cubs lost 6-0 to the Pirates, fans booed and I yelled at them to shut the hell up). If I could clone myself and fill up Lambeau for a game, all 62,000plus of me would cheer my team on THE MOST at times like a missed field goal, or when the offense goes 3 and out. If we fans would all have this as our motto, home field advantage would be unbelievable. If your child is trying to tie his shoes, and just can't get it, do you mock him, and yell at him. If you do, it will be counter-productive. That child will have more fear and anxiety each time he fails. This is what Cory is dealing with, trying to adjust his style, get used to the pressure of the big leagues, and now he has this SHIT in the back of his mind? The "fans" who boo him can kiss my lily white ass! Wow, sorry, that may have been the alcohol talking. Anyways, that's my two cents. Thank you and good night.

vince
08-12-2006, 07:57 PM
100% agree about not booing at practice.

But I think the players, coaches, and front office people are paid handsomely by us fans. Cheer them on and give encouragement. Be the 12th man - all that.

But if the product you are paying top dollar for is not acceptable to you, how should you communicate your displeasure? Should you robotically cheer and keep spending your hard-earned money? When teams quit, they should be booed.

When players make mistakes and don't perform, do the coaches get in their face and yell negative things at them at the top of their lungs? Is this a bad thing or a good thing?

Feeling pressure to perform is not a bad thing. Fear of failure drives success. The winners step up, and the losers fall down... That's the way competition works.

A couple relevant quotes from the immortal one...

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.

That said, I'm not a big booer at the games either...