PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers in final 4 for Madden NFL 12 cover

SnakeLH2006
04-12-2011, 02:31 AM
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110411/PKR04/110411189/Rodgers-reaches-final-4-Madden-NFL-12-cover?odyssey=tab|topnews|img|GPG-Sports|p

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is in the final four of the voting to grace the cover of EA Sports' Madden NFL 12 video game.

Rodgers received 56 percent of the vote in the quarterfinals against Patriots running back Danny Woodhead. Rodgers is now up against Cleveland Browns running back Peyton Hillis in the semifinal.

On the opposite side of the bracket, Vikings running back Adrian Peterson advanced to the semifinals against Eagles quarterback Mike Vick.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Snake used to be a big videogamer/football gamer...but Madden sucked the life out of me. NFL 2k5 for the win. I still own all Madden games on Xbox 360 but play hardly at all.

It's still good to see that Arod is in the final 4 going against a white RB...meaning he's going either against Peterson (who has already been on a cover...and Vick who should be glad he has a job in the first place)....Meaning awesome...The best young QB in the NFL and Super Bowl Champ gets on the cover. Good stuff.

Gunakor
04-12-2011, 04:22 AM
They should only put Rodgers on the cover if they're not planning on playing football this season, and are ready to put someone else on the cover before the next season begins. That curse is real. It's verifiable. It's legit. I'd rather they put Urlacher and Peppers on the cover every single year that game comes out.

Remember when they put Brett on the cover? That curse screwed over TWO teams that year! I want no part of that ever again.

Pugger
04-12-2011, 06:50 AM
We still have time to vote for Hills! ;-)

Brandon494
04-12-2011, 07:02 AM
Vick will win it and I'm fine with that because I never want to see a Packers player on the cover of Madden.

Tarlam!
04-12-2011, 07:45 AM
We should make a push for All Day...

Patler
04-12-2011, 08:17 AM
They should use a picture of the entire Packers team, with coaching staff and TT standing in front of Lambeau field, with all the Championship and Super Bowl trophies in front of them.

The curse of the Madden cover can't hold a candle to the tradition and aura of the Packer organization!!

Kiwon
04-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is in the final four of the voting to grace the cover of EA Sports' Madden NFL 12 video game.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Smidgeon
04-12-2011, 10:53 AM
I think it's interesting that the final will come down to a rookie Madden Coverboy (Hillis or Rodgers) versus someone who's been on the cover before (Vick or Peterson).

channtheman
04-12-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm guessing the last time Vick was on the cover he got suspended and went to jail for dog fighting, right? Rodgers has enough issues with concussions, the Madden curse would be the thing to end his career way too early.

RashanGary
04-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Like with Obama, the thing about Vick is he'll draw 95% of the black vote. He'll have such a head start with that, it will be hard to lose.

Rodgers deserves it though. He's player of the year IMO.

Freak Out
04-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Stop with the superstitious bullshit boys...put the SB MVP on the cover and get it over with. Wait.....was it Jordey? :)

mraynrand
04-12-2011, 12:56 PM
I say put Hillis on there. If you put Vick on there, have him being torn to shreds by some Dobermans.

Smeefers
04-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I say put Hillis on there. If you put Vick on there, have him being torn to shreds by some Dobermans.

That would make a great in game mini game.

packers11
04-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I voted Hillis ... Way to superstitious...

Brandon494
04-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Like with Obama, the thing about Vick is he'll draw 95% of the black vote. He'll have such a head start with that, it will be hard to lose.

Rodgers deserves it though. He's player of the year IMO.

What are you talking about? Vick is going against AP who if you haven't noticed is black as well. That's like me saying Hillis is only in the running because he got 95% of the white votes. Go look at the stats, if Vick wins it's because he put up MVP numbers, not because he's black.

RashanGary
04-12-2011, 01:26 PM
What are you talking about? Vick is going against AP who if you haven't noticed is black as well. That's like me saying Hillis is only in the running because he got 95% of the white votes. Go look at the stats, if Vick wins it's because he put up MVP numbers, not because he's black.

Black RB = standard, black athlete, nothing special
Black QB = black pride
Black president = black power

Vick will get the black vote, but he could easily lose to Peterson who will probably get more of the white vote. If Vick gets through Peterson, he'll beat Rodgers, but yeah, I could see him losing to Peterson now that you mention it.

Not to get all racial about it, but I think it plays a role. The presidential election shows race still matters. 96% of the black vote. WOW, and they got out to vote. I'm sure it was all about the issues ;)

RashanGary
04-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Rodgers
Vick
Peterson
Hillis

The inside-out oreo model works masterfully for this group.

Brandon494
04-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Black RB = standard, black athlete, nothing special
Black QB = black pride
Black president = black power

Vick will get the black vote, but he could easily lose to Peterson who will probably get more of the white vote. If Vick gets through Peterson, he'll beat Rodgers, but yeah, I could see him lose to Peterson.

Not to get all racial about it, but I think it plays a role.

Of course it plays a role I just want to know where you got the 95% from? Also last time I checked blacks only counted for 12% of the US population while whites counted for 72% so I guess Obama didnt win just because he's black either. BTW I'm not trying to start anything just stating facts.

RashanGary
04-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Me neither. 96% of the black vote went to Obama.

If it gets down to Vick and Rodgers, both are deserving. Vick better with his feet, Rodgers better with his arm and decision making. Rodgers won the SB though, and did it playing lights out football the whole way (with a slight hiccup in Chicago.)

If he ends up against Vick, Vick will draw 90% of the black vote, then another chunk of white people who feel they need to makeup for racial wrong doings in every decision they make. Rodgers will get the racist white vote, but that population is dwindling, especially with the demographic that will vote here.

The way it's going to play out, Rodgers would have to overcome a 5-10% irrational racial handicap to win. I guess he could do it. His accomplishments were that much better than Vick's.

But yeah, Obama was deserving, so will Vick be if he wins, but deserving isn't the only reason people win votes. As a person who wants AR to win, I'm just pointing that out.

AR will get all of the, "he won the SB MVP so he's the best" votes, but that's an actual accomplishment, so we should hardly have that count against him. That alone might put him over the top.

Oh, AR will get the dog sympathetic votes while Vick will get the criminal vote. Who knows? This is shaping up to be quite a vote.

SnakeLH2006
04-12-2011, 03:09 PM

ROFLCOPTER!! I just choked on my lunch.

Brando19
04-12-2011, 03:43 PM
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110411/PKR04/110411189/Rodgers-reaches-final-4-Madden-NFL-12-cover?odyssey=tab|topnews|img|GPG-Sports|p

Rodgers received 56 percent of the vote in the quarterfinals against Patriots running back Danny Woodhead. Rodgers is now up against Cleveland Browns running back Peyton Hillis in the semifinal.

On the opposite side of the bracket, Vikings running back Adrian Peterson advanced to the semifinals against Eagles quarterback Mike Vick.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Snake used to be a big videogamer/football gamer...but Madden sucked the life out of me. NFL 2k5 for the win. I still own all Madden games on Xbox 360 but play hardly at all.

It's still good to see that Arod is in the final 4 going against a white RB...meaning he's going either against Peterson (who has already been on a cover...and Vick who should be glad he has a job in the first place)....Meaning awesome...The best young QB in the NFL and Super Bowl Champ gets on the cover. Good stuff.

Peterson hasn't been on a cover, has he?

Bossman641
04-12-2011, 04:30 PM

If it gets down to Vick and Rodgers, both are deserving. Vick better with his feet, Rodgers better with his arm and decision making. Rodgers won the SB though, and did it playing lights out football the whole way (with a slight hiccup in Chicago.)

If he ends up against Vick, Vick will draw 90% of the black vote, then another chunk of white people who feel they need to makeup for racial wrong doings in every decision they make. Rodgers will get the racist white vote, but that population is dwindling, especially with the demographic that will vote here.

The way it's going to play out, Rodgers would have to overcome a 5-10% irrational racial handicap to win. I guess he could do it. His accomplishments were that much better than Vick's.

But yeah, Obama was deserving, so will Vick be if he wins, but deserving isn't the only reason people win votes. As a person who wants AR to win, I'm just pointing that out.

AR will get all of the, "he won the SB MVP so he's the best" votes, but that's an actual accomplishment, so we should hardly have that count against him. That alone might put him over the top.

Oh, AR will get the dog sympathetic votes while Vick will get the criminal vote. Who knows? This is shaping up to be quite a vote.

Yes I love when jh makes up these kinds of facts.

Not saying I disagree with you but I do wonder where you get your percentages from.

Freak Out
04-12-2011, 04:34 PM

How many precincts have reported in? :)

mraynrand
04-12-2011, 11:44 PM
I think AP is ahead in dimpled chads:

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/files/original/florida_hanging_chad_recount.jpg

Airin' Rodgers
04-13-2011, 12:56 AM
If you guys are real dedicated you can vote as many times as you want. Vote for Aaron, delete your history, and refresh the page. You can vote as many times as you want. I voted 5 or 6 before I got bored

Freak Out
04-13-2011, 02:17 AM
It's like clicks for cans but people go hungry.

Smidgeon
04-13-2011, 10:37 AM
If Rodgers is out for more than one game in 2011, I'm blaming everyone who voted for him.

Gunakor
04-14-2011, 03:30 AM
If you guys are real dedicated you can vote as many times as you want. Vote for Aaron, delete your history, and refresh the page. You can vote as many times as you want. I voted 5 or 6 before I got bored

You're on notice. It's double-secret probation for you until Rodgers makes it through the season unscathed.

Smidgeon
04-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Rodgers lost to Hillis. Time to throw support behind Hillis to oust Vick from being the first repeat Madden cover athlete (also in 2004, I believe).

Tarlam!
04-18-2011, 01:43 PM
:bclap:

Rodgers lost to Hillis.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-18-2011, 01:49 PM
:bclap:

WOOHOOOOOOO! Sorry Arod its for the best!

Lurker64
04-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Rodgers lost to Hillis. Time to throw support behind Hillis to oust Vick from being the first repeat Madden cover athlete (also in 2004, I believe).

Also, because Vick is a bad person while Hillis is an obscure, white, RB/FB tweener on a bad team.

Pugger
04-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Of course if there is any validity to the Madden curse voting for Vick might not be a bad idea... :wink: :lol:

Zool
04-18-2011, 02:22 PM
You're welcome Brown's fans.

Lurker64
04-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Of course if there is any validity to the Madden curse voting for Vick might not be a bad idea... :wink: :lol:

I'm actually more interested in screwing EA than screwing Vick at this point.

Smidgeon
04-18-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm actually more interested in screwing EA than screwing Vick at this point.

That would be poetically apropos. I think Hillis would be amazing for the next cover because of it.

Little Whiskey
04-18-2011, 10:25 PM
looks like it is hillis and vick.

SnakeLH2006
04-19-2011, 01:50 AM
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/116/1162413p1.html

EA's Worst Nightmare: Madden NFL 12's Cover

Usually the Madden cover curses the athlete. This time, the athletes have cursed EA.

April 18, 2011

0digg

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/social/avatars/users/53674110.jpgLevel 14 (http://people.ign.com/hil-ign)

by Hilary Goldstein (http://people.ign.com/Hil-IGN)
LATEST IMAGES
http://media.ignimgs.com/media/thumb/341/3418286/maddenscreen_1300831064_thumb_ign.jpg (http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/103/103604/imgs_1.html)
LATEST VIDEOS
http://assets.ign.com/videos/assets/132/a224055_small.jpg (http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/03/22/madden-nfl-12-teaser-trailer?objectid=103604)

EA had a smart idea to kick off Madden's annual showing. Create a 32-player bracketed tournament and let fans vote for the cover athlete.

Today, the two finalists for the Madden NFL 12 (http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/103/103604.html) cover were revealed. It couldn't have turned out worse for EA. Forget being between a rock and a hard place; EA Sports is trapped between a knife and a gun fight: relative unknown Peyton Hillis of the perennially awful Cleveland Browns, or convicted dog-killing pariah and ex-convict Michael Vick. Either EA has to market a game featuring a player the average person cares little about, or they're hit with animal rights activist protests for a highly controversial cover boy.

There's no winning this one. EA made a bold attempt at involving the community, and the community screwed them.

I've got nothing against Peyton Hillis. He's a solid foundation for Cleveland to build upon. The Browns have been the League's punching bag for a while now, but they're also one of the NFL's beloved underdogs.But Hillis is hardly a big-name running back. Hillis has 1574 yards rushing and 17 touchdowns -- for his career. Granted, that's just a three-year span, but Hillis has managed only one good (not great) year so far. It's amazing to see the Cleveland community rally to support him in this contest as he's outlasted notable running back Adrian Peterson.

Madden NFL 12 Trailer (http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/03/22/madden-nfl-12-teaser-trailer?objectid=103604)

As for Vick, there's no arguing his credentials as a skilled player. He made the most of his opportunity as a starter last season in Philadelphia and proved that great performances on the field can make everyone forget even the worst offenses off the field. But those celebrations of Vick last year were tempered with reminders that he was a man who'd done bad things. It took some time, but the public cheered Vick's performance on the field last season. But it's doubtful many are prepared to embrace him on the cover of the only NFL-licensed football game in 2011.

EA made a fatal error in preparation of the Madden cover vote. The person voted to be on the cover only hurts or helps EA. It doesn't impact a Madden fan's sponsorship opportunities. It doesn't affect a gamer's promotion plans. No one voting stops and thinks, "Man, I better not let Vick win or EA will have a tough time doing a media tour." Don't think for a moment that EA ever would willingly put Peyton Hillis or Mike Vick on the cover of Madden. They expected the voters to do the right thing for EA. That's not how popularity contests work.

The lesson here: never, ever, give people the option to affect your product unless it's something you can live with. The 32 players in the Madden voting bracket needed to be 32 players EA would gladly have on the cover. Because, as we can see with the final round in this contest, online voters aren't predictable. Never assume they have the same priorities or business sensibilities of a publicly traded corporation. The public loses nothing by turning on EA and biting them in the ass.

________________________-

Looks like the guys that believe in the curse one...as ARod won't be on it...how just Travis Jervey vs. the Dog Killer....it's Karma yo. EA Sports sucks the life out of football. Long live EA..now live with that! Whooohooohahahhahahaha!

Pugger
04-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Yes, they did screw up. If EA didn't want to risk having a particular athlete on the cover of their silly game then they shouldn't have had that athlete as a choice! I'm sure a lot of folks voted so their favorite athlete would NOT be on the cover just to be on the safe side. ;-) This entire thing makes me laugh.

Tarlam!
04-19-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm sure a lot of folks voted so their favorite athlete would NOT be on the cover just to be on the safe side. ;-) This entire thing makes me laugh.

THIS!! I know I vote alot when it's the soup thing or the pro Bowl. I didn't vote for Rodgers, 'cause I'm one supersticious old fart. I bet Vick gets it, because the fans haven't forgiven him and they, too, believe in the curse!