PDA

View Full Version : 2011 PackerRats community mock second draft

Lurker64
04-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Every year we do a community mock draft, where a poster picks for each team and then we all vote on who the Packers pick. This year, since we pick last, it's probably more interesting just to look at who would be there when the Packers pick.

Here's the previous effort (http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?21863-Packer-Rats-MOCK-DRAFT) this year, and while many of those involved did yeoman's service two things are apparent: first: that everybody who does mock drafts does revisions (Mel Kiper is on his 5th so far, I believe), and second: that our mock may be already out of date (details on Bowers knee that have come out since that thread was started make it pretty much impossible for him to go #1 overall, and that's going to affect pretty much every subsequent pick).

So I propose we just give it another try. There are 32 picks, and 16 days until the draft, so if we can average 2 picks/day we can get this done (I have #1 for Carolina ready to go if we can get this off the ground). Hopefully as we get closer to the draft site traffic will pick up and we'll have an easier time getting it done.

So post here if you're interested, and post any and all teams you'd be interested in picking for. If you don't care, I can just assign leftover teams. Ideally those who sign up would be those who check the site somewhat regularly. Those who participated in the earlier mock are encouraged to pick other teams, but that's not necessary.

RashanGary
04-12-2011, 07:33 PM
I wonder if you just pick for Carolina, then whoever logs on and wants to pick for the next team can pick. Nobody can have more that 3 picks in the draft. Wait at least 3 picks before you make a 2nd or 3rd pick so other people get a chance to pick. This thing will fly. I'll bet you can get through 2 or 3 rounds before the draft with this setup.

RashanGary
04-12-2011, 07:36 PM
I hope we get Ingram again ;)

get louder at lambeau
04-12-2011, 07:44 PM
I wonder if you just pick for Carolina, then whoever logs on and wants to pick for the next team can pick. Nobody can have more that 3 picks in the draft. Wait at least 3 picks before you make a 2nd or 3rd pick so other people get a chance to pick. This thing will fly. I'll bet you can get through 2 or 3 rounds before the draft with this setup.

That's a pretty good idea. The waiting for someone who's turn it was crap made the other one drag like hell.

RashanGary
04-12-2011, 07:49 PM
That's a pretty good idea. The waiting for someone who's turn it was crap made the other one drag like hell.

Yeah, then instead of people logging on and talking about how slow it is, they'll log on and take action, making it fly.

Lurker64
04-12-2011, 07:55 PM

Yeah, I think that would be a good way to go about it. Nobody makes back to back picks, but if the last pick has been made and you have a good idea about who the pick should be, just jump in (though courtesy probably suggests waiting before picking again a bit if the person who picked after you just picked). I'm not sure about the "nobody with more than 3 picks", since that will depend a lot on interest (if only eight people care, 4/person would probably be okay, say), but if nobody has strong reservations we can just start like that tomorrow.

get louder at lambeau
04-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I think that would be a good way to go about it. Nobody makes back to back picks, but if the last pick has been made and you have a good idea about who the pick should be, just jump in. I'm not sure about the "nobody with more than 3 picks", since that will depend a lot on interest (if only eight people care, 4/person would probably be okay, say), but if nobody has strong reservations we can just start like that tomorrow.

Maybe "Nobody picks more than 1 per day?", just so it doesn't end up being two or three people taking all the picks.

Guiness
04-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Maybe "Nobody picks more than 1 per day?", just so it doesn't end up being two or three people taking all the picks.

Sounds good.

Pick for Carolina already~!

Lurker64
04-12-2011, 09:39 PM
With the first overall pick of the 2011 NFL draft the Carolina Panthers select Marcell Dareus defensive tackle of the University of Alabama.

You could potentially argue that this is a need pick, as the single best defensive tackle for the Panthers last year was no-name and current free-agent Derek Landri, but Dareus's ability to dominate at the line of scrimmage, his intangibles, and his schematic versatility make him worthy of the pick. A quarterback was considered here, but Jimmy Clausen deserves another chance and if he fails in his opportunity the Panthers will be in a good position to select form a much better crop of quarterbacks in 2012. Big men who can dominate at positions that require big men are simply harder to find than smaller men who can dominate at positions that small men play.

The Denver Broncos are on the clock.

Lurker64
04-12-2011, 09:41 PM
And yes, let's go with the "nobody picks more than once per day."

Tarlam!
04-13-2011, 03:21 AM
The Panthers are going QB. That's the consensus amongst the talking heads over at NFL.com. But hey, I know nussing, NUSSING! That's why I didn't sign up for a team on our mock draft.

RashanGary
04-13-2011, 06:39 AM
The Broncos take Nick Fairley, DT

We didn't like the QB's enough to pull the trigger. AJ Green might be the best player in this draft, but DT's who can move like Fairley are even more rare than probowl receivers, so we went with the rare big guy. Fairley and Dummerville are a good start to Denver's new 4-3 front.

Smeefers
04-13-2011, 07:06 AM
The Buffalo Bills take Cam Newton, QB

There's no way the bills pass on the potential that Cam Newton has. His pressence opens up the playbook to a whole other set of posibilities and it insures they have a play maker touching the ball on every snap. They took a good long look at Blaine Gabbert but decided to go with the Auborn Boy.

Tarlam!
04-13-2011, 08:42 AM
Blaine Gabbert scored a 42 on his Wonderlic compared to 21 for Newton. That equates to an IQ of 144 to 102. Yet Alex Smith scored a 40 (IQ 140), both Rodgers and Leinart scored 36 (IQ 132), so obviously, football savvy is important.

Having said that, I'm sure Rodgers' clipboard-holding seasons allowed him to mature into the QB he has become. I'm not convinced Rodgers would have fared any better than Smith or Leinart if he were thrown in at the deep end. Or, maybe, had M3 stayed coaching Smith, he might have developed.

The point to all of this? I would suggest Gabbert will be the better QB going forward.

Smeefers
04-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Cam Newton as #1 overall:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/insider/news/story?page=KiperMockDraft4.0&addata=2009_insdr_mod_nfl_xxx_xxx&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft2011%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fpage%3dKip erMockDraft4.0%26addata%3d2009_insdr_mod_nfl_xxx_x xx

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2011/2011-nfl-mock-draft.cfm?writer=19&update=20110409

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/03/30/nfl-mock-draft/index.html

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/37744/60/draft-2011-nfl-mock-40

Dan Marino and Vince Young both scored 16 on the test, though Vince Young scored a 6 on his first attempt. Michael Vick scored a 20. My choice wasn't really random. Cam Newton is considered the best quarterback in the draft at the moment and there's more than one place that has him going 1 overall. I found one website out of the first six that had Blaine ahead of Cam. I'm sure there are other mock drafts out there that are pro Blaine, these are just the first six that came up in the search.

Blaine Gabbert as first QB picked:

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/2/5/1975034/2011-nfl-mock-draft

Tarlam!
04-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Sure, Smeef, and I wasn't critizing the pick. Just offering you my opinion. Time will tell.

Smeefers
04-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Sure, Smeef, and I wasn't critizing the pick. Just offering you my opinion. Time will tell.

Oh, well in that case, I sort of just stuck my dick in the wind, saw which way it was blowing and jumped on that bandwagon like nobodies business. I think Cam has a chance to be something special, but it's not like the next 4 guys after him couldn't have great careers either.

RashanGary
04-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Panthers - Marcell Dareus
Broncos - Nick Fairly
Bills - Cam Newton
Bengals
Cardinals
Browns

Remember, anyone can pick as long as you don't pick twice in the same day. Bengals up.

Guiness
04-13-2011, 11:44 AM

We didn't like the QB's enough to pull the trigger. AJ Green might be the best player in this draft, but DT's who can move like Fairley are even more rare than probowl receivers, so we went with the rare big guy. Fairley and Dummerville are a good start to Denver's new 4-3 front.

I didn't pick for Denver specifically because I would not have made this pick. I picked #3 in the first draft, so decided to let others go at the top. I think you're correct that Denver does not take a QB here, so it likely comes down to Fairley or Von Miller...with Peterson knocking on the door.

Tarlam!
04-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Oh, well in that case, I sort of just stuck my dick in the wind, saw which way it was blowing and jumped on that bandwagon like nobodies business. I think Cam has a chance to be something special, but it's not like the next 4 guys after him couldn't have great careers either.

You might find this interesting:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81f24692/Gabbert-vs-past-first-round-QBs

I just found it....

RashanGary
04-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Yeah Guiness,

Miller/Green/Fairley were my choices

Crossed miller off because you wouldn't get much bang for teh buck with a pass rusher playing as a 4-3 LB.

Crossed Green off because he was a WR. I think he's a safe bet to be a star though.

I haven't researched the top of the draft as much, but I just looked at Petersons production/athetlic ability. Yeah, he should have been considered too.

I'm happy with Fairley though. He gets nit picked, but he's been and is a star at a tough to fill position.

Guiness
04-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Cam Newton as #1 overall:
Dan Marino and Vince Young both scored 16 on the test, though Vince Young scored a 6 on his first attempt. Michael Vick scored a 20. My choice wasn't really random. Cam Newton is considered the best quarterback in the draft at the moment and there's more than one place that has him going 1 overall. I found one website out of the first six that had Blaine ahead of Cam. I'm sure there are other mock drafts out there that are pro Blaine, these are just the first six that came up in the search.

Blaine Gabbert as first QB picked:

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/2/5/1975034/2011-nfl-mock-draft

While you're right that Newton's got a lot more votes for #1 overall, I've seen enough with Blaine to think there's more to it than just people trying to be contrary.

http://sportsnewssouthwest.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=174:nfl-mock-draft-2011--national-football-leagues-future&catid=12:pro&Itemid=7
http://www.patsdraft.com/Draft_11.html
http://nflsoup.com/?p=9501
http://commshowbombshow.com/2011nflmockdraft.aspx

Of course, there was no shortage of ppl taking Leaf over Manning oh so long ago.

Guiness
04-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Ok, I'll jump in for the Bengals here. Back before I understood much about football, and having no real hometown team, they were my favorite. Loved Tim Krumrie, and remember him busting his leg in the SB.

As I started paying more attention, however, I realized what a bunch of morons the Bengals had for ownership and management. A trip to Wi and I found the team I love!

Cinncinati has a good combination of need and BPA here. There are a lot of very good, highly rated players on the board. They should take AJ Green for the best combination. Johnson is nearing the end and pretty much lost his #1 WR status to a 37 yr old Owens, who won't be back next season.

If not, they should consider Miller (who shouldn't be on the board here) Peterson or Quinn. Quinn has his problems, but that won't scare this team.

So what do they do? Knee-jerk pick to Carson Palmer's words, and Pick Blaine Gabbert!!!!! He'll start week 1, get pummeled behind Andre Smith as they press him into duty as well, and end up with a similar career as David Carr.

edit: for what it's worth, I don't think either of the QB's are top 10 material as far as BPA, but some always go there because teams at the top invariably need them, and want to try for a home run swing. How else do you explain Akili Smith?

Lurker64
04-13-2011, 12:30 PM
So...

Panthers: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
Broncos: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn.
Bills: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn.
Bengals: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri.

The Cardinals are on the clock.

Guiness
04-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Lurker

You could potentially argue that this is a need pick, as the single best defensive tackle for the Panthers last year was no-name and current free-agent Derek Landri, but Dareus's ability to dominate at the line of scrimmage, his intangibles, and his schematic versatility make him worthy of the pick. A quarterback was considered here, but Jimmy Clausen deserves another chance and if he fails in his opportunity the Panthers will be in a good position to select form a much better crop of quarterbacks in 2012. Big men who can dominate at positions that require big men are simply harder to find than smaller men who can dominate at positions that small men play.

Broncos: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
JustinHarrell

Smeefers
There's no way the bills pass on the potential that Cam Newton has. His pressence opens up the playbook to a whole other set of posibilities and it insures they have a play maker touching the ball on every snap. They took a good long look at Blaine Gabbert but decided to go with the Auborn Boy.

Guiness

So what do they do? Knee-jerk pick to Carson Palmer's words, and Pick Blaine Gabbert!!!!! He'll start week 1, get pummeled behind Andre Smith as they press him into duty as well, and end up with a similar career as David Carr.

Deputy Nutz
04-13-2011, 04:42 PM
I will pick for the Cardinals.

Deputy Nutz
04-13-2011, 04:49 PM
The Arizona Cardinals with the 5th pick select Linebacker: Von Miller, Texas A&M. Dynamic defender that can rush the passer and play in coverage. Is a great fit for the Cardinals 3-4 scheme that should take advantage of his speed and knack for getting after the passer. He has the size at 6-3 and 245 pounds to lineup on the outside, but he also shows the speed of the edge that will be a potential nightmare for offensive tackles to deal with. His athletic ability does allow him to cover the flat and get down field covering tight ends, he will be a dual threat as an outside linebacker in a 3-4.

Does need to stand up against the run a bit better but with larger defensive linemen in front of him at the pro level his ability to get to the ball carrier will most likely be enhanced.

Freak Out
04-13-2011, 05:19 PM
I'll take the Browns.

Freak Out
04-13-2011, 05:23 PM
With the sixth pick in the 2011 NFL draft the Cleveland Browns take WR Julio Jones. From National Football Post:

A massive physical specimen who really seems to intimidate opposing cornerbacks off the line. Does a nice job using his power and length to fight his way through any kind of press, quickly shrugging off opposing defenders, dropping his shoulder and accelerating into his routes. However, what stands out most about his game is the balance he displays as a route runner and his ability to accelerate so quickly once he gets the ball into his hands. Possesses a real polish to his game as an underneath route runner and does a nice job setting up corners, cleanly getting out of his breaks and working after the catch. The most polished receiver in the three-step passing game in the entire draft does a great job changing speeds to set up his routes and being sharp/sudden out of his breaks.

Exhibits a good feel for reading zone coverages and knows where to sit down underneath. Plus, he gets up to speed quickly when asked to get down the field, does a nice job fighting his way through coverage and tracking the football vertically. Extends his long arms and makes a play on the football in jump ball situations, and I love the grit and power he displays as a blocker in the run game. Is physical into contact, has a passion for blocking down the field and adds a nice element to the run game as well.

Seemed to thin out a bit this past season, which allowed him to generate more separation for himself in the intermediate pass game and more of a burst out of his breaks. However, still has too many lapses in concentration and puts the ball on the ground too often — especially over the middle of the field. Lacks elite top-end speed down the field and won't be able to simply outpace defenders at the next level. However, because of his size, power and acceleration, he's still a threat to make plays vertically and win for you in jump ball situations.

Impression: He really does accelerate extremely well for a guy his size with the feel to consistently set up defenders as a route runner and find soft spots in coverage. Projects as a potential blue-chip caliber No. 1 wideout at the next level, but needs to do a better job holding onto the football.

gabe
04-13-2011, 05:50 PM
BTW NFL.com Pat Kirwans new 2 round mock draft, has us taking Mark Ingram at 32 and Brooks Reed at 64 how awesome would that be?

3irty1
04-13-2011, 06:09 PM
I'll go next. SF has their option here of the two best players in the draft: Patrick Peterson and AJ Green. Peterson makes the most sense so they would go with him.

Lurker64
04-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Panthers: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama (Lurker64)
Broncos: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn (JustinHarrell)
Bills: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn (Smeefers)
Bengals: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri (Guiness)
Cardinals: Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M (Deputy Nutz)
Browns: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama (Freak Out)
49ers: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU (3irty1)

Titans are on the clock.

RashanGary
04-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Just a reminder to anyone who didn't read the whole thread, anyone can pick for any team. You just can't pick twice in one day. So if you open the thread, see the Titans are up next, the first person to pick for them gets the pick.

Guiness
04-13-2011, 08:50 PM
With the sixth pick in the 2011 NFL draft the Cleveland Browns take WR Julio Jones. From National Football Post:

JJ over AJ? I'm surprised by that, I thought Green was considered the better all around player. Why Julio? Does he fit their scheme better?

Lurker64
04-13-2011, 09:06 PM
JJ over AJ? I'm surprised by that, I thought Green was considered the better all around player. Why Julio? Does he fit their scheme better?

Better measurables and better character probably. Green was the more productive player in college, but Jones has better tools it's just that he didn't get to showcase them and hone his craft playing in a very run-heavy Alabama offense. Green is the consensus #1, but it's not clear cut so it wouldn't actually be a surprise to see them go in either order.

swede
04-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Great idea for a mock draft format.

Smeefers
04-14-2011, 07:49 AM
The Titans were disappointed that Darius AND Fairly went 1-2. Even though they have a glareing need at quarterback, the top two in the draft are already gone and the left overs aren't worthy of this high a pick. That leaves Robert Quinn (LB) and JJ. Watt (DE) as their highest ranked players. They could reach for Bowers, but that questionable knee is to much of a chance for a top ten pick. And so, with the 8th pick, the Tennesse Titans pick JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin.

packrulz
04-14-2011, 08:48 AM
I'll draft for big D, they have many needs, RT, DL, DB come to mind, their defense was one of the worst in the NFL last season, and with Quinn still on the board, he's just what the doctor ordered.
The Dallas Cowboys select:

Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina: The most explosive pass rusher in the draft, Quinn is capable of becoming a star off the edge for either a 4-3 or 3-4 team. That kind of versatility could equate to a top-seven pick.

The Redskins are on the clock...

Tennesse Titans, JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin (Smeefers)
Dallas Cowboys, Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina (packrulz)

How are we selecting the Packers pick?

RashanGary
04-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Redskins rush to their card to the commish and select AJ Green, WR, Georgia. Big, Fast, runs great routes and has great hands, Green has every skill needed to be an excellent pro.

get louder at lambeau
04-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Redskins with the steal of the draft?

RashanGary
04-14-2011, 10:01 AM
I'd rather have WR's who are elite at tracking the ball and catching than guys with 4.3 speed. 4.4 speed is just fine. Jennings wasn't a burner because he was a 4.4 guy, but all he does is destroy fools. This guy is a gamer. You hate to take a WR this high, you'd rather have a big guy, but since I don't know anything about drafting and I do know this guy has skills, I'm going with Green.

Deputy Nutz
04-14-2011, 11:17 AM
I don't like the Titans pick. JJ Watt doesn't fit their scheme, sure he can play as a 4-3 end but I don't think teams want to draft him as a 4-3 end in the first round. His ability leans towards being an end in a 3-4 scheme and Dallas or the Pats will draft him high in the first round but few 4-3 teams will make him a high selection. I thought Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska.

Freak Out
04-14-2011, 11:32 AM

It was almost a flip of the coin deal :) but in the end I saw a few mocks that had him going to Cleveland so I went with that. Now I don't track draft boards like most of you losers but Green is ranked #1 on many.....so why didn't he go before He did here?

Lurker64
04-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Last year, the Houston Texans were a Fantasy Football team. In addition to scoring a lot of points, they gave up a huge number of points most of them to opposing quarterbacks and wide receivers. If there are words to describe how terrible the Houston secondary was last year, I dare not type them.

As such, the Texans run to the podium to turn in the card for Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska.

Vikings are on the clock, as tempting as it would be to give them a punter, we should probably make a legitimate pick.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-14-2011, 11:45 AM
I'll pick for the Queens.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-14-2011, 11:52 AM
The Vikings could go a number of different ways with this pick. Quarterback is the most glaring need, but unless they fall in love with Jake Locker, it just isn't going to happen. Offensive Tackle could also be the pick here with Minnesota having their pick of big men in this spot. One player stands head and shoulders above the rest right now IMO, and also fills a huge need for the Queens.

The Vikings select DE Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue

get louder at lambeau
04-14-2011, 12:25 PM
I'll give it a shot with the Lions.

get louder at lambeau
04-14-2011, 12:31 PM
The Lions really need to keep Matthew Stafford healthy, and they are lucky enough to get their pick of offensive linemen in this draft.

With the 13th pick in the 2011 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select Tyron Smith, OT, USC.

Smeefers
04-14-2011, 12:33 PM
I don't like the Titans pick. JJ Watt doesn't fit their scheme, sure he can play as a 4-3 end but I don't think teams want to draft him as a 4-3 end in the first round. His ability leans towards being an end in a 3-4 scheme and Dallas or the Pats will draft him high in the first round but few 4-3 teams will make him a high selection. I thought Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska.

I could be wrong. Not the first time. I wouldn't of gone with Prince though, It was a toss up for me between Quinn and Watt. They already have Cortland Finnegan and sureing up their front seven is where I think they're gonna go.

Lurker64
04-14-2011, 12:45 PM
I think in Tennessee Watt would play LDE base end, and then kick inside on passing downs and play DT to provide inside rush. You can get a lot of value out of a guy like that. Just look at the Giants superbowl campaign (potentially ignoring the NFC championship game because those memories are too painful).

Lurker64
04-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Titans: J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin (Smeefers)
Cowboys: Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina (packrulz)
Redskins: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia (JustinHarrell)
Texans: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska (Lurker64)
Vikings: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue (TennesseePackerBacker)
Lions: Tyron Smith, OT, USC (get louder at lambeau)

The Rams are on the clock.

PackerPro42
04-14-2011, 03:05 PM
With the 14th pick the St. Louis Rams select Aldon Smith, DE/LB, Missouri. They're disappointed that Julio didn't fall to them but they should still be able to address WR in the second round with someone like Hankerson or Torrey Smith.

Lurker64
04-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Dolphins up next.

Guiness
04-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Great pick by Houston, Prince should immediately shore up a defense that kept them out of the playoffs last year. I'll be watching Quinn, he's intriguing. After a year out of football, he showed up for his pro day in great shape. Was he allowed to work out with the team? Shows some dedication that he was able keep himself in great form.

Bowers still on the board, with the Rams and Vikings passing on him for other DE's outside of the top 10. He's becoming a pretty good value, and should go soon. Maybe the Dolphins hope he's a Jason Taylor replacement?

Lurker64
04-14-2011, 03:40 PM
The problem with Bowers to the Dolphins is that I'm not really sure what Bowers' role in the 3-4 would be. He doesn't really seem like a good fit to play in space, nor do I trust him really playing head up on the OT. I think Jacksonville would take Bowers though, since they really need a pass rusher.

Personally, I don't think there's any chance that the Dolphins pick at #15 in the actual draft, they will trade up or down from this spot. But considering that there's been only one offensive lineman taken, they have a bunch of good options here.

Guiness
04-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Ingram is also widely thought to be going to them.

Deputy Nutz
04-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Bowers is a prototypical rush end with his hand on the ground. He is a beast against the run and hell on QB, he is the #1 player in this draft but because the draft is a "what can you do for me now!" situation people are worried about his knee. Big deal, other than the fact that he went to Clemson and lets face it nothing good comes out of Clemson he is dynamic pass rusher, at least at Clemson, and Clemson players especially defensivle linemen tend to fall flat on their face in the NFL.

Deputy Nutz
04-14-2011, 04:33 PM
The Vikings could go a number of different ways with this pick. Quarterback is the most glaring need, but unless they fall in love with Jake Locker, it just isn't going to happen. Offensive Tackle could also be the pick here with Minnesota having their pick of big men in this spot. One player stands head and shoulders above the rest right now IMO, and also fills a huge need for the Queens.

I don't get this pick, they have a shit load of money wrapped up in defensive end, and they have an aging nose tackle, but their offensive line absolutely killed their offense in all aspects of the game. The Vikes have a premier running back that has 3 good years left but no one to block for him. They have a horrible secondary, and the best they do is a defensive end?

Freak Out
04-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Who the hell is coahing/GMing for the queens these days?

Deputy Nutz
04-14-2011, 05:21 PM
I will pick for the Dolphins, and it isn't an easy choice, they have many needs and some glaring holes but nothing that satisfies a pick at 15. the organization isn't behind Henne, but with Gabbert and Newton gone, the Dolphins would be taking a huge risk with taking athletic but erratic Jake Locker. Locker would fit the schematic attack of the wildcat offense, but his inaccruracy with his arm could cause issues on 3rd down and stall drives.

The Dolphins need someone opposite of Marshall, but who at 15 warrants a selection? Titus Young? Not at 15, and Mike Pouncey is the best interior lineman but I can't see the Dolphins spending the 15th pick on a center or guard even though that is where they need the most help to stimulate their running game.

Neither Ricky Williams or Ronnie Brown are signed for the 2011 season and Brown won't come cheap, Williams is at the end of his career and has a better shot at being resigned in a similar role.

So with the 15th pick the Dolphins select Mark Ingram, RB Alabama University. Good all around back, can catch the bal out of the backfield and has size to be an every down back. Regardless though he will split time with several running backs in Miami. Ingram was the number one prospect after the 2010 National Championship, but his production bogged down in 2011. He is still the best offensive weapon available at 15 and the Dolphins grab him.

Basically it came down to Pouncey and Ingram, and Ingram at this point provides a better bang for the buck.

retailguy
04-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Harrell just put a contract out on your life. But I agree. For what that's worth.

RashanGary
04-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Ingram is like AJ Hawk in 2005. You watch him run. He's big enough, fast enough, plays with great instincts. He played for the best against the best. He looks exactly like they look in the NFL. There is just about zero reason to think he won't be a good NFL RB. I don't get to check out his knee, but assuming that checks out, Ingram is probably the safest player in the whole draft. The Dolphins should be satisfied with their selection.

Lurker64
04-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Ingram is just like A.J. Hawk... in that he will completely fail to live up to the hype, but be an average NFL starter at his position.

Lurker64
04-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Rams: Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri (PackerPro42)
Dolphins: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama (Deputy Nutz)

Jaguars are on the clock.

(To restate the rules for people starting on the third page: there are no team assignments, anybody may select for the team currently on the clock just by posting what the pick will be. We ask that everybody restrict themselves to making one pick per day. When it comes time for the Packers to pick, we will do a poll.)

RashanGary
04-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Ingram is just like A.J. Hawk... in that he will completely fail to live up to the hype, but be an average NFL starter at his position.

AJ Hawk is a really good LB. At around pick 15, teams have had the likes of Justin Harrell or Jamaal Reynolds. I think AJ Hawk at pick 15 would be pretty darn good. Ingram is just like Hawk in that sense and whoever takes him, if it's in that range, is going to be satisfied. Top 5 pick? No, he'll probably disappoint. Mid 1st, he'll make somebody happy.

Bretsky
04-14-2011, 09:15 PM
The Jaguars select DeQuan Bowers and would formally like to thank the Titans, Cowboys, Vikings, and Rams for taking lesser defensive players due to the leaks coming out about the knee that were being created by the mad genius Hoody who is hoping to select him at pick 17.

Hoody is very unhappy as he was salivating at nabbing this guy but his manipulation did not work this time !

TennesseePackerBacker
04-14-2011, 09:59 PM
I don't get this pick, they have a shit load of money wrapped up in defensive end, and they have an aging nose tackle, but their offensive line absolutely killed their offense in all aspects of the game. The Vikes have a premier running back that has 3 good years left but no one to block for him. They have a horrible secondary, and the best they do is a defensive end?

I know their problems and I know their needs, but I don't agree with the philosophy of reaching for a player to fill a need; some do. I see no value at secondary or nose tackle right now. DE is a major need for the Vikings with Edwards due to leave via free agency (under the old CBA). Pick 1b was Tyron Smith. I made the pick based on what I would do. Maybe that was a mistake. Kerrigan seemed to be the best value at pick 12.

IMO the Vikings probably wouldn't make the safer pick in Kerrigan and take the gamble on Bowers. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikes take a DE at 12 if the right value is there. As I stated earlier, Tyron Smith would also be a very strong candidate.

Guiness
04-15-2011, 12:24 PM
I know their problems and I know their needs, but I don't agree with the philosophy of reaching for a player to fill a need; some do. I see no value at secondary or nose tackle right now. DE is a major need for the Vikings with Edwards due to leave via free agency (under the old CBA). Pick 1b was Tyron Smith. I made the pick based on what I would do. Maybe that was a mistake. Kerrigan seemed to be the best value at pick 12.

IMO the Vikings probably wouldn't make the safer pick in Kerrigan and take the gamble on Bowers. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikes take a DE at 12 if the right value is there. As I stated earlier, Tyron Smith would also be a very strong candidate.

Kerrigan? They're letting that Zerg bitch play football???

(ok, maybe 1% of the ppl here will get that)

I agree with you that he seemed to be the best player on the board, the only one that would be arguable is, of course, Bowers. But if you removed him from the board, then he wasn't an option. Prince should've been an option if he had dropped one more spot.

Another option would've been reaching for Locker...but that would've been a reach, IMO.

Lurker64
04-15-2011, 01:15 PM
The Patriots select Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal. The Patriots have been searching, unsuccessfully for a 5-tech opposite of Ty Warren since trading Richard Seymour away and being bludgeoned by the hated Jets on the ground in the playoffs last year just underscores this need. Jordan's senior bowl campaign suggests that he has the ability to be absolutely dominant against NFL Tackles if he receives good coaching and in New England he will.

Lurker64
04-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Jaguars: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson (Bretsky)
Patriots: Cameron Jordan, DE, California (Lurker64)

The Chargers are on the clock. The Giants are on deck.

Guiness
04-15-2011, 03:17 PM

Looks like this is getting less and less likely - Fairley's proving to be a real douche.

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/28517270

Bretsky
04-15-2011, 09:57 PM
San Diego needs a pass rusher at DE and also pondered Clayborne

San Diego Chargers Select
Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple*
Wilkerson is certainly one of the great talents of the draft who is receiving almost no media attention. He's a huge guy that a lot of 3-4 teams will look at to play DE but his versatility in a 4-3 could be something very special as well

Cheesehead Craig
04-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Kerrigan? They're letting that Zerg bitch play football???

(ok, maybe 1% of the ppl here will get that)
I got it. Can't believe you pulled that one out. LOL

Bretsky
04-16-2011, 12:14 PM
come on guys; let's knock this off this weekend so we can get to the second vote

NFN Network....Michael Lombardi just called Brooks Reed the guy people will look back and and say, that dude should have been picked in the top TEN

Great Motor, pass rusher, and leader

Cheesehead Craig
04-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Well, I picked for the Giants in the other draft so I'll do it here too.

The Giants take T Anthony Castanzo, Boston College

The G-Men need help on the OL as they have far too many question marks there and cannot have the strategy to hope those guys improve. He's the top T on the board and will help keep the whining pussy Eli Manning upright and continue to show why he's overrated.

Bretsky
04-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Well, I picked for the Giants in the other draft so I'll do it here too.

The Giants take T Anthony Castanzo, Boston College

The G-Men need help on the OL as they have far too many question marks there and cannot have the strategy to hope those guys improve. He's the top T on the board and will help keep the whining pussy Eli Manning upright and continue to show why he's overrated.'''

Solid pick; if I was picking for the Giants I'd have went threre too
I was even debating grabbing him for SD since he's the BPA but those Chargers need pass rushers so bad I focused on the defense

Fred's Slacks
04-16-2011, 03:52 PM
I'll try to get this rolling again:

With the 20th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Justin Houston DE Georgia.

I'll admit, I haven't followed nearly as close this year as normal, but I think this is a decent fit for the Bucs.

RashanGary
04-16-2011, 06:40 PM
I'll try to get this rolling again:

With the 20th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Justin Houston DE Georgia.

I'll admit, I haven't followed nearly as close this year as normal, but I think this is a decent fit for the Bucs.

I think this is a great pick. Houston was very productive and he has top tier pass rushing athletic ability. He's more of a specialist, but if he gets 8-10 sacks per year, I think you feel pretty good about your #20 pick.

Bretsky
04-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Kansas City Chiefs: Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor
Scott Pioli needs his Vince Wilfork. The Chiefs struggled against the run late in the year because they had nothing at the nose tackle position. Phil Taylor would remedy that issue.

After a strong showing at the Senior Bowl, Taylor continued to impress at the Combine and his Pro Day. He lost some more weight (334) and despite his massive frame, he ran a 5.18. Taylor has completely turned his life around, so despite his altercations three years ago at Penn State. Pioli has met with Taylor multiple times in the past month.

Bretsky
04-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Only 10 more picks to GB
Make it a good Sunday

Lurker64
04-17-2011, 12:31 AM
The Indianapolis Colts select Nate Solder, OT, Colorado. Bill Polian admitted that he made a mistake last year in drafting Jerry Hughes over Roger Saffold, as the Colts inability to block for Peyton Manning has been one of their major weaknesses these last few years. Solder has the tools to be an amazing prospect on the left side, as he has the feet of a linebacker and "footwork" is ultimately what separates the great OTs from the mediocre ones. He lacks ideal NFL strength, but the Colts hardly need pancake blocks from their bookends as Peyton Manning's precison passing attack is ultimately what drives the offense.

(Considered Gabe Carimi here, but then I remembered Polian was quoted last year as saying he didn't think Bryan Bulaga could play on the left side in the NFL... so if he doesn't think Bulaga is an NFL LT, he definitely wouldn't think that Carimi is an NFL LT as Bulaga actually has better footwork and better pad-level than Carimi showed at Wisconsin).

Lurker64
04-17-2011, 12:37 AM
Jaguars: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson (Bretsky)
Patriots: Cameron Jordan, DE, California (Lurker64)
Chargers: Muhammed Wilkerson, DE, Temple (Bretsky)
Giants: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College (Cheesehead Craig)
Bucs: Justin Houston, DE, Georgia (Fred's Slacks)
Chiefs: Phil Daylor, NT, Baylor (Bretsky)
Colts: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado (Lurker64)

Eagles are on the clock, Saints are on deck.

Guiness
04-17-2011, 02:25 AM
You have to think after the way we beat the Eagles this year, they're looking for secondary help. But I don't know if there's anyone worth taking here.

However, they also have a pressing need on the OL. More at tackle, but Pouncey still on the board is too much to pass up.

The Eagles select Mike Pouncey, G, Florida.

Tarlam!
04-17-2011, 05:25 AM
The Saints are looking down the gun barrell of a potential nightmare with 26 players becoming free agents under the old CBA rules once the lockout is over. How do teams get themselves in a position like that? And another thing, Reggie Bush is slated to make 11.8 million dollars next season! Aint no way he's on the roster with that number.

I think if Ingram makes it past Miami on draft day, this is where he goes, but in our Mock he didn't! The draftniks have identified DE, OLB & DB as the most pressing needs of this ball club. Still, it's an open secret that they usually pick BPA and with 26/27 potential question marks, I believe that is the strategy they take. The only position they won't be interested in is QB. Mike Mayock's draft board has one DT that would be value at this spot:
Corey Liuget*, DT, Illinois
He is much better on tape than I initially expected. There's no bad tape on him. You can put him in the middle of a 4-3 front. He's disruptive, quick and tough. Some of the 3-4 teams like him enough to look at him as a five-technique, which I don't think is his best position. He's steadily climbing up boards.

The guy he has at #24 is also a DT:
Marvin Austin*, DT, North Carolina
From the time he started his season at the East-West Shrine Game, he's done a great job of rehabbing his image. He was the best player on the field in that game and had great numbers at the combine. You could see the power, explosion and great feet at his pro day. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't go somewhere between 20-32. I really believe he's too good of a football player to fall out of the first round.

But, I don't believe they will go DT and DE/OLB value isn't here the way the draft stands. Astonishingly, Mayock's board reveals a guy he values 11th overall:
Anthony Castonzo, OL, Boston College
I really believe he or (Tyron) Smith are the first tackle off the board. Castonzo is a tough guy in the run game. He has great feet as a former tight end. I love his upside, and he had a great week of Senior Bowl practice, although he didn't play quite as well in the game.

Interesting that in our mock, he's still available at 24th. With only one OT (Jon Stinchcomb) secure this season and Sean Payton's love of running the football they go this route. The Saints also protect their franchise QB and there can be no questioning the value..

With the 24th Pick of the 2011 PR Mock Draft v. 2 the Saints select Tony Castonzo.

Honourable mention:
Akeem Ayers*, OLB, UCLA
On tape, he's a natural edge pass rusher. He didn't perform well at the combine; ran in the 4.9 range in the 40. There are also questions about whether he can handle a complicated defense, both with his hand down or standing up. But he is a great athlete and a natural 3-4 outside linebacker.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69290&draftyear=2011&genpos=OT

Lurker64
04-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Hey Tarlam!: "Giants: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College (Cheesehead Craig)"

He went a few picks ago, try again.

(Don't feel bad, this is inevitable in anything like this).

Nobody pick for Seattle until we figure out who the Saints actually pick.

Tarlam!
04-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Hey Tarlam!: "Giants: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College (Cheesehead Craig)"

He went a few picks ago, try again.

(Don't feel bad, this is inevitable in anything like this).

Damn! I even did a search on the page! And still missed it!!

Tarlam!
04-17-2011, 09:26 AM
OK, looking at the board, the next OT is a bit of a reach.at #24. So I'll change direction and pick defense, though I think the remaining DEs are also a reach. I thought hard about this guy:

Jimmy Smith*, DB, Colorado
He's a freakish athlete with significant off-the-field concerns. But there's a huge drop-off at cornerback after Peterson, Amukamara and Smith. He's long and physical, but he's too inconsistent, which is the reason he isn't higher up on the board.

I'm not sure what his off field concerns are, but I New Orleans is not a good place for doubtful character. So, I settled for this guy:

Akeem Ayers*, OLB, UCLA
On tape, he's a natural edge pass rusher. He didn't perform well at the combine; ran in the 4.9 range in the 40. There are also questions about whether he can handle a complicated defense, both with his hand down or standing up. But he is a great athlete and a natural 3-4 outside linebacker.

packrulz
04-17-2011, 09:57 AM
In the previous mock, I selected QB Jake Locker for the Seahawks, however, they may be able to draft him or another decent QB in the 2nd round.

Through the first part of the 2010 season, solid defensive line play had been a strength for the Seahawks.

Seattle ranked second overall in rushing defense through six games, giving up just over 76 yards a contest. But when defensive end Red Bryant and defensive tackle Colin Cole went down with injuries against Oakland in Week 8, the Seahawks failed to recover up front and the defense suffered. The Seahawks allowed 239 rushing yards in a 33-3 humbling at the hands of the Raiders, and an average of 144 yards a contest the rest of the season, finishing 3-7 down the stretch.

Bryant suffered a torn MCL in his right knee that required surgery, landing on injured reserve. And Cole missed five games with a severe high ankle sprain. Add to that the four games starting defensive tackle Brandon Mebane missed because of an injured calf, and it's clear why the Seahawks could be looking for defensive line help early in the draft.
They also need offensive line help, Gabe Carimi, OT, WI, is obviously very tempting, but a player like Liuget doesn't drop to them very often, and a GM like John Schneider is going to take him.
Seahawks select:
Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois: He has an explosive burst, good flexibility and the upper-body strength to compete immediately. Liuget is a classic three-technique defensive tackle who is earning grades closer to Dareus and Fairley from some teams than many realize.

get louder at lambeau
04-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Hey Lurker- Any chance you could put the pick number in front of the team in your summaries? I keep counting through the list to see what pick we're at.

Bretsky
04-17-2011, 10:22 AM
You have to think after the way we beat the Eagles this year, they're looking for secondary help. But I don't know if there's anyone worth taking here.

However, they also have a pressing need on the OL. More at tackle, but Pouncey still on the board is too much to pass up.

The Eagles select Mike Pouncey, G, Florida.

Jimmy Smith would have been the one CB to consider; not sure if they'd take him though. Great talent but definite character concerns

Bretsky
04-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Baltimore Ravens:
Cameron Heyward, DE/DT, Ohio State
Brian Baldinger recently said on "Path to the Draft" he knows for a fact if this dude slips to the Ravens they are taking him. This was a hard choice between him and Jimmy Smith.

This makes a ton of sense. Heyward is one of the top players available and fills a need for Baltimore; left end Cory Redding had a pretty miserable year overall.

Other consideration would have been Jimmy Smith

Bretsky
04-17-2011, 10:34 AM
5 MORE PICKS BEFORE POLL #2................KEEP ER ROLLING............GET ER DONE

I kind of wanted to wait to draft for Hoody Genius but I'm away this afternoon so I plugged in the pick here.

If we're rating this gig on BPA to me there are two players left above the rest and it will be interesting to see if they get nabbed before Green Bay

Lurker64
04-17-2011, 12:33 PM
#1: Panthers: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama (Lurker64)
#2: Broncos: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn (JustinHarrell)
#3: Bills: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn (Smeefers)
#4: Bengals: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri (Guiness)
#5: Cardinals: Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M (Deputy Nutz)
#6: Browns: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama (Freak Out)
#7: 49ers: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU (3irty1)
#8: Titans: J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin (Smeefers)
#9: Cowboys: Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina (packrulz)
#10: Redskins: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia (JustinHarrell)
#11: Texans: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska (Lurker64)
#12: Vikings: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue (TennesseePackerBacker)
#13: Lions: Tyron Smith, OT, USC (get louder at lambeau)
#14: Rams: Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri (PackerPro42)
#15: Dolphins: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama (Deputy Nutz)
#16: Jaguars: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson (Bretsky)
#17: Patriots: Cameron Jordan, DE, California (Lurker64)
#18: Chargers: Muhammed Wilkerson, DE, Temple (Bretsky)
#19: Giants: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College (Cheesehead Craig)
#20: Bucs: Justin Houston, DE, Georgia (Fred's Slacks)
#21: Chiefs: Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor (Bretsky)
#22: Colts: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado (Lurker64)
#23: Eagles: Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida (Guiness)
#24: Saints: Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA (Tarlam!)
#25: Seahawks: Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois (packrulz)
#26: Ravens: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State (Bretsky)
#27: Falcons: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin (JustinHarrell)
#28: Patriots
#29: Bears
#30: Jets
#31: Steelers
#32: Packers

RashanGary
04-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Gabe Carimi
Adrian Clayborn
Jake Locker
Derek Sherrod
Jimmy Smith
Phil Taylor
Muhammad Wilkerson
Akeem Ayers
Christian Ponder
Danny Watkins
Aaron Williams
Jabaal Sheard
Brandon Harris
Mikel LeShoure
Torrey Smith
Martez Wilson
Kyle Rudolph
Ryan Mallett
Stephen Paea
Ras-I Dowling
Brooks Reed
Andy Dalton
Leonard Hankerson
Randall Cobb
Ryan Williams
Marvin Austin
Jerrel Jernigan
Ben Ijalana

RashanGary
04-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Falcons draft Gabe Carimi, OT, Badger

Guiness
04-17-2011, 01:51 PM
OK, looking at the board, the next OT is a bit of a reach.at #24. So I'll change direction and pick defense, though I think the remaining DEs are also a reach. I thought hard about this guy:

Really? I thought there were a lot of OL that looked good when I picked Pouncey. Him, Sherrod and Carimi would all have been viable picks.

Bretsky
04-17-2011, 02:31 PM

There goes one of the 2 guys I thought were a step above the rest; nice pick.

It was my dream for TT to get Carimi........but honestly........the more I map this out the more of a pipe dream it seems.

At worst, da Bears would be celebrating to get Carimi.....and that would be pure hell so I guess I should just hope he gets chosen earlier

Lurker64
04-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Gabe Carimi
Adrian Clayborn
Jake Locker
Derek Sherrod
Jimmy Smith
Phil Taylor
Muhammad Wilkerson
Akeem Ayers
Christian Ponder
Danny Watkins
Aaron Williams
Jabaal Sheard
Brandon Harris
Mikel LeShoure
Torrey Smith
Martez Wilson
Kyle Rudolph
Ryan Mallett
Stephen Paea
Ras-I Dowling
Brooks Reed
Andy Dalton
Leonard Hankerson
Randall Cobb
Ryan Williams
Marvin Austin
Jerrel Jernigan
Ben Ijalana

FYI, Wilkerson went #18 to San Diego.

Bretsky
04-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Really? I thought there were a lot of OL that looked good when I picked Pouncey. Him, Sherrod and Carimi would all have been viable picks.

Guys like Pouncey and Carimi IMO will go between 18 and 30 (plz not da Bears) at worst.

Sherrod is the one guy I think has a chance to fall to us. TT might end up picking from Sherrod and an OLB IMO

Bretsky
04-17-2011, 02:35 PM
FYI, Wilkerson went #18 to San Diego.

Phil Taylor and Akeem Ayers are also off the board

Tarlam!
04-17-2011, 02:38 PM
I thought Carimi was off the board and I'm now little about Sherrod. When JH picked Carimi I bit my own ass. Hard. :) I told you guyz I suck at this stuff!

RashanGary
04-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Updated List

Adrian Clayborn
Jake Locker
Derek Sherrod
Jimmy Smith
Christian Ponder
Danny Watkins
Aaron Williams
Jabaal Sheard
Brandon Harris
Mikel LeShoure
Torrey Smith
Martez Wilson
Kyle Rudolph
Ryan Mallett
Stephen Paea
Ras-I Dowling
Brooks Reed
Andy Dalton
Leonard Hankerson
Randall Cobb
Ryan Williams
Marvin Austin
Jerrel Jernigan
Ben Ijalana

#28: Patriots

#29: Bears
#30: Jets
#31: Steelers

Bretsky
04-17-2011, 02:48 PM
I thought Carimi was off the board and I'm now little about Sherrod. When JH picked Carimi I bit my own ass. Hard. :) I told you guyz I suck at this stuff!

I've seen Akeem Ayers going to NO in some mock drafts; that was a fine pick IMO

Bretsky
04-17-2011, 03:21 PM
only 4 picks to GB !!!

Lurker64
04-17-2011, 03:33 PM

Passing on Carimi is reasonable. There are NFL teams who will view him as a RT/OG and not an LT (there are teams that projected Bulaga similarly, and Bulaga's got better feet than Carimi, so you can extrapolate based on that.)

TennesseePackerBacker
04-17-2011, 07:33 PM
The Patriots select Jonathan Baldwin WR, Pittsburgh.

Other considerations here would likely be at OT, OLB, and DE. With RB Leshore being a darkhorse candidate.

Bretsky
04-17-2011, 07:56 PM
didn't see that one coming

Da Bears pick is interesting; their OL is absolutely terrible and there are two to three legit candidates on the OL there for the pickings along with a 26yr old OG that might be more ready to play today then either of them

Bretsky
04-17-2011, 07:58 PM
only 3 picks before the Pack !!!!!!!!!!! Keep er going

Guiness
04-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Lurker

Broncos: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
JustinHarrell

Smeefers

Guiness

Cardinals: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
Deputy Nutz
The Arizona Cardinals with the 5th pick select Linebacker: Von Miller, Texas A&M. Dynamic defender that can rush the passer and play in coverage. Is a great fit for the Cardinals 3-4 scheme that should take advantage of his speed and knack for getting after the passer. He has the size at 6-3 and 245 pounds to lineup on the outside, but he also shows the speed of the edge that will be a potential nightmare for offensive tackles to deal with. His athletic ability does allow him to cover the flat and get down field covering tight ends, he will be a dual threat as an outside linebacker in a 3-4.

Browns: Julio Jones, WR,
Freakout
With the sixth pick in the 2011 NFL draft the Cleveland Browns take WR Julio Jones. A massive physical specimen who really seems to intimidate opposing cornerbacks off the line.

49ers: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
3irty1
SF has their option here of the two best players in the draft: Patrick Peterson and AJ Green. Peterson makes the most sense so they would go with him.

Tennesse Titans: JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin.
Smeefers
The Titans were disappointed that Darius AND Fairly went 1-2. Even though they have a glareing need at quarterback, the top two in the draft are already gone and the left overs aren't worthy of this high a pick. That leaves Robert Quinn (LB) and JJ. Watt (DE) as their highest ranked players. They could reach for Bowers, but that questionable knee is to much of a chance for a top ten pick.

Dallas Cowboys: Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina:
Packrulz
The most explosive pass rusher in the draft, Quinn is capable of becoming a star off the edge for either a 4-3 or 3-4 team. That kind of versatility could equate to a top-seven pick.

Redskins: AJ Green, WR, Georgia
JustinHarren
Redskins rush to their card to the commish and select AJ Green, WR, Georgia. Big, Fast, runs great routes and has great hands, Green has every skill needed to be an excellent pro.

Texans: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
Lurker64
The Texans run to the podium to turn in the card for Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska.

Vikings: DE Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue
TenneseePackerBacker

Lions: Tyron Smith, OT, USC
Get Louder at Lambeau
The Lions really need to keep Matthew Stafford healthy, and they are lucky enough to get their pick of offensive linemen in this draft.

St. Louis Rams select Aldon Smith, DE/LB, Missouri
PackerPro42

Dolphins: Mark Ingram, RB Alabama University
Deputy Nutz
Neither Ricky Williams or Ronnie Brown are signed for the 2011 season and Brown won't come cheap, Williams is at the end of his career and has a better shot at being resigned in a similar role. So with the 15th pick the Dolphins select Mark Ingram, RB Alabama University. Good all around back, can catch the bal out of the backfield and has size to be an every down back.

The Jaguars: DeQuan Bowers
Bretsky
The Jaguars select DeQuan Bowers and would formally like to thank the Titans, Cowboys, Vikings, and Rams for taking lesser defensive players due to the leaks coming out about the knee that were being created by the mad genius Hoody who is hoping to select him at pick 17.

The Patriots select Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal.
Lurker64
The Patriots have been searching, unsuccessfully for a 5-tech opposite of Ty Warren since trading Richard Seymour away and being bludgeoned by the hated Jets on the ground in the playoffs last year just underscores this need. Jordan's senior bowl campaign suggests that he has the ability to be absolutely dominant against NFL Tackles if he receives good coaching and in New England he will.

San Diego Chargers: Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple*
Bretsky
Wilkerson is certainly one of the great talents of the draft who is receiving almost no media attention. He's a huge guy that a lot of 3-4 teams will look at to play DE but his versatility in a 4-3 could be something very special as well

Giants take T Anthony Castanzo, Boston College
Cheesehead Craig
The G-Men need help on the OL as they have far too many question marks there and cannot have the strategy to hope those guys improve. He's the top T on the board and will help keep the whining pussy Eli Manning upright and continue to show why he's overrated.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Justin Houston DE Georgia.
Fred's Slacks
I'll admit, I haven't followed nearly as close this year as normal, but I think this is a decent fit for the Buc

Kansas City Chiefs: Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor
Bretsky
Scott Pioli needs his Vince Wilfork. The Chiefs struggled against the run late in the year because they had nothing at the nose tackle position. Phil Taylor would remedy that issue.

The Indianapolis Colts select Nate Solder, OT, Colorado.
Lurker64
Bill Polian admitted that he made a mistake last year in drafting Jerry Hughes over Roger Saffold, as the Colts inability to block for Peyton Manning has been one of their major weaknesses these last few years. Solder has the tools to be an amazing prospect on the left side, as he has the feet of a linebacker and "footwork" is ultimately what separates the great OTs from the mediocre ones. He lacks ideal NFL strength, but the Colts hardly need pancake blocks from their bookends as Peyton Manning's precison passing attack is ultimately what drives the offense.

Eagles select Mike Pouncey, G, Florida.
Guiness

New Orleans Akeem Ayers*, OLB, UCLA
Tarlam!

Seahawks :Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois:
Packrulz
He has an explosive burst, good flexibility and the upper-body strength to compete immediately. Liuget is a classic three-technique defensive tackle who is earning grades closer to Dareus and Fairley from some teams than many realize.

Baltimore Ravens:Cameron Heyward, DE/DT, Ohio State
Bresky
Brian Baldinger recently said on "Path to the Draft" he knows for a fact if this dude slips to the Ravens they are taking him.

JustinHarrell

The Patriots select Jonathan Baldwin WR, Pittsburgh.
TenneseePackerBacker
Other considerations here would likely be at OT, OLB, and DE. With RB Leshore being a darkhorse candidate.

Tarlam!
04-18-2011, 06:33 AM
Well, Swede had Pouncey going to Da Bears here in the first mock and after all the sacks Cutler suffered last season, you know these guys are going OL.

Based on our justin Harrell's infatuation, the Bears, with the 29th pick, might have selected:

James Carpenter (OL)
Height:6'4"
Weight:321 lbs.
Arm Length:34 in.
Hand Size:9 3/4 in.
College:Alabama
Conference:SEC

OVERVIEW
Carpenter has a chance to end up as a starter and certainly has the ability to provide valuable depth as a backup. Looks the part of an NFL left tackle with his great size and frame. At this stage, Carpenter grades out as a good pass blocker but just adequate in the running game. His game could benefit from some improved awareness in blitz pickup. Would become more valuable as a run blocker with increased strength and power. Carpenter should hear his name called during the middle rounds of the 2011 NFL Draft.

Instead, the pick:

Derek Sherrod (OL)
Height:6'5"
Weight:321 lbs.
Arm Length:35 3/8 in.
Hand Size:11 in.
College:Mississippi St.
Conference:SEC

OVERVIEW
Sherrod currently looks more like a backup but could be a future starting tackle if he can add quite a bit of bulk and strength. A nice blend of length and good feet, he can slide laterally with pass rushers and push them by the launch point but struggles to anchor against the bull rush. Could benefit from improving awareness against pressure looks. Uses positioning and instincts as a run blocker to create running lanes but isn't an effective drive blocker and won't push defenders backwards. Has a solid makeup but doesn't possess a non-stop motor or great aggressiveness. Early Day 3 grade.

RashanGary
04-18-2011, 06:46 AM
oops, Tarlam already picked.

Tarlam!
04-18-2011, 06:54 AM
oops, Tarlam already picked.

Whom would you have taken?

RashanGary
04-18-2011, 07:05 AM
Same guy. Seems like a good fit for the Bears. I wanted to take Ryan Mallet or something like that cuz it was the Bears, but I would have taken Sherrod too.

Bretsky
04-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Same guy. Seems like a good fit for the Bears. I wanted to take Ryan Mallet or something like that cuz it was the Bears, but I would have taken Sherrod too.

Yup, I think da Bears would take Sherrod (who would probably be a good pick for the Packers are well) or the dude Lurker loves

RashanGary
04-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Jets take Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland. Extremely talented pass catcher. Good hands, great speed, elite agility and run after catch ability. Not quite as natural as Greg Jennings, but an extremely hard worker and has every tool including blazing speed.

Steelers on the Clock
Packers on deck

Smeefers
04-18-2011, 10:11 AM
The Steelers got shredded in the air by the Packers during the super bowl and they were exposed. Even though they could use some OT help, Aaron Williams from Texas is still available, and so they get their BPA and a need. Really a no brainer for them. Of course, I could have missed someone who's still left on the board that blows him out of the water. If that's the case, well, screw you guys. I'm still going with Aaron Williams.

#31, The Steelers take Aaron Williams, CB Texas

RashanGary
04-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Adrian Clayborn is interesting for us. 280 lb DE is not ideal, but it's close enough. He'd really help fill the possible void left by Cullen Jenkins.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-18-2011, 11:07 AM
The Steelers got shredded in the air by the Packers during the super bowl and they were exposed. Even though they could use some OT help, Aaron Williams from Texas is still available, and so they get their BPA and a need. Really a no brainer for them. Of course, I could have missed someone who's still left on the board that blows him out of the water. If that's the case, well, screw you guys. I'm still going with Aaron Williams.

#31, The Steelers take Aaron Williams, CB Texas

Why Williams over CB's Jimmy Smith and Brandon Harris? Just curious really. Smith's liability is character issues, but he is the most physically gifted of the three second-tier corners.

Smeefers
04-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Hook em horns!

(coughcough)

I mean, the Steelers don't really like dealing with character issues at all. The second Holmes started acting up, they got rid of him. They'd of done the same to Big Ben if he wasn't a top 10 QB in the league. And honestly, I figure it's a wash between Harris and Williams. I could of gone either way really. I just like Williams better.

RashanGary
04-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Why Williams over CB's Jimmy Smith and Brandon Harris? Just curious really. Smith's liability is character issues, but he is the most physically gifted of the three second-tier corners.

I actually like Ras-I Dowling. He out performed Chris Cook for two years, then had the injuries destroy his SR season. He's very much in the mold of Antonio Cromartie and not just because he's an elite lengthy-type athlete. He's also a great player. I could see him slipping into round 1. He has the skills and production of many 1st round corners in years past. He's a leader type, good guy. Injury concern aside, I think he's a 1st round guy.

Lurker64
04-18-2011, 11:57 AM
I think now we need to figure out who we should put in the Packer poll.

Best OL available are probably Ijalana, Watkins, and Wisniewski.
Best OLBs available are probably Reed and Martez Wilson
Best WRs available are probably Baldwin, Young, and Hankerson
Best RB available is probably Mikel LeShoure
Best TE available is Kyle Rudolph
Best DL available is probably Clayborn (though you could knock him for the fact that one of his arms doesn't really work), Austin and Paea are good values but bad fits. I may actually like Ballard more than Clayborn.
Best DB available is Jimmy Smith but he's a bad person. Brandon Harris is available, but Ted would not draft him so I don't think we should consider it.

Anybody want to help me pare down this list or nominate some other people?

RashanGary
04-18-2011, 12:11 PM
What's wrong with Clayborn's arm? Austin is a good fit, but a character concern. He'd be a great DE.

Smeefers
04-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Couldn't we do like, a bracket thing with these guys? Can you have a poll where you can answer more than one question? We could poll on each of those guys, then use the ESPN.com or NFL.com ranking system on the guys to do a bracket style poll off.

Tarlam!
04-18-2011, 12:23 PM
At this point, TT will go OT or OLB, IMHO, because I think the guys available at those positions offer better value than, say DE or RB. I wonder if he'd take CB Smith, seeing as how Woodson would be able to mentor him.

Lurker64
04-18-2011, 12:23 PM
What's wrong with Clayborn's arm? Austin is a good fit, but a character concern. He'd be a great DE.

Clayborn has Erb's Palsy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erb%27s_palsy), so he doesn't have full range of motion or effective strength in his right arm. Didn't keep him from being a quality football player in college, but how much does that scare you?

Smidgeon
04-18-2011, 12:35 PM
I thought WR Baldwin was taken...

packrulz
04-18-2011, 05:24 PM
WR Randall Cobb is still there. DE Jabaal Sheard is still there.

Lurker64
04-18-2011, 05:43 PM
I thought WR Baldwin was taken...

You are correct:
#28: Patriots: Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh (TennesseePackerBacker)
#29: Bears: Derrick Sherrod, OT, Mississppi State (Tarlam!)
#30: Jets: Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland (JustinHarrell)
#31: Steelers: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas (TennesseePackerBacker)

Top WRs available are Leonard Hankerson, Titus Young, and Randall Cobb probably. Not a lot of value taking the fifth WR at #32 in this draft.

Bretsky
04-18-2011, 05:59 PM

Smith is the guy of this mock that I'm really surprised falls to 32.

Bretsky
04-18-2011, 06:09 PM
I think these eight are solid.

If we went to a seed format I'd put the brackets like this

1. Jimmy Smith
2. Brooks Reed
3. Ijalana
4. Clayborune
5. Watkins
6. Leshoure
7. Austin
8. Young

Bretsky
04-18-2011, 06:12 PM
WR Randall Cobb is still there. DE Jabaal Sheard is still there.

I think both of those guys are very intruiging; I just don't think they are first round guys.

Bretsky
04-18-2011, 06:12 PM
You are correct:
#28: Patriots: Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh (TennesseePackerBacker)
#29: Bears: Derrick Sherrod, OT, Mississppi State (Tarlam!)
#30: Jets: Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland (JustinHarrell)
#31: Steelers: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas (TennesseePackerBacker)

Top WRs available are Leonard Hankerson, Titus Young, and Randall Cobb probably. Not a lot of value taking the fifth WR at #32 in this draft.

Not sure which WR to throw in there but one might be a good idea

Guiness
04-18-2011, 06:47 PM
lol at unilaterally striking the top QB and ILB options off the board.

Jack Locker is probably a first round talent on most boards. Martez Wilson has been up and down, although mostly down lately. Probably not in consideration at this point.

Agreed though, that neither of these players are likely picks for the Pack. Not just because we're stocked at those positions, but also because I just don't see them as representing much value. I know everyone's high on Brooks Reed as well, but I don't see that either.

I'm curious to go look and see who was available to us last time, that's off the board this time, and vice versa.

Bretsky
04-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Let me go by memory cause I'm too lazy to research it

Mark Ingram was available last time and he's off the board now
Jonathan Baldwin was available last time and is off our board

Jimmy Smith was selected on the last draft and is avialable now
I think Claybroune was selected on the last draft and is available now

Bretsky
04-18-2011, 06:53 PM
lol at unilaterally striking the top QB and ILB options off the board.

Jack Locker is probably a first round talent on most boards. Martez Wilson has been up and down, although mostly down lately. Probably not in consideration at this point.

Agreed though, that neither of these players are likely picks for the Pack. Not just because we're stocked at those positions, but also because I just don't see them as representing much value. I know everyone's high on Brooks Reed as well, but I don't see that either.

I'm curious to go look and see who was available to us last time, that's off the board this time, and vice versa.

I don't know a ton about Wilson; I just can't see us going ILB. I would not at all be surprised if two more QB's are not drafted in round one than we have.....which might allow for a player to slip into our lap.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hoody took Brooks Reed a few picks earlier. He's been getting pimped as a late first rounder at more sites than a couple months ago.

He also seems to have a lot of intangibles in addition to being a pretty good talent.

Guiness
04-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Jimmy Smith, Clayborune, Locker and Brandon Harris were the players picked in the first mock that didn't go this time. I don't know which of those would get consideration.

Bretsky
04-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Jimmy Smith, Clayborune, Locker and Brandon Harris were the players picked in the first mock that didn't go this time. I don't know which of those would get consideration.

It all depends how bad of a person Jimmy Smith is. Talent wise, he may be top tier.

And Claybourne......great talent but inconsistent.....with the injury concern...who knows

Lurker64
04-18-2011, 07:11 PM

Clayborn might, though his medical condition might disqualify him in TT's eyes.

Locker? Nope, we're not taking a QB in the first round.

Brandon Harris wouldn't, since TT doesn't draft short corners. Harris is even south of the 5-10 that most NFL teams look for in their CBs, nor is he particularly fast.

Jimmy Smith is a fantastically talented prospect, probably the second best CB in this draft on talent alone. He's a very similar prospect to Revis coming out. The problem is that he's an absolute "capital-C" character risk. So you may get a Revis or you may get Pac-Man Jones. The degree to which he "just doesn't get it"? He lied to NFL teams about his arrest records in the combine interviews.

Bretsky
04-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Clayborn might, though his medical condition might disqualify him in TT's eyes.

Locker? Nope, we're not taking a QB in the first round.

Brandon Harris wouldn't, since TT doesn't draft short corners. Harris is even south of the 5-10 that most NFL teams look for in their CBs, nor is he particularly fast.

Jimmy Smith is a fantastically talented prospect, probably the second best CB in this draft on talent alone. He's a very similar prospect to Revis coming out. The problem is that he's an absolute "capital-C" character risk. So you may get a Revis or you may get Pac-Man Jones. The degree to which he "just doesn't get it"? He lied to NFL teams about his arrest records in the combine interviews.

I didn't hear that, but it does redefine stupid..........what did he lie about ?

This is your ship Lurk......but the bracket challenge might be interesting. You could do the seeds. Create Four Seperate threads at the same time for the top 8.......and then you could give a couple days for people to download scouting reports and build a case for the person of their choice in the four threads.

But that might be a lot of work as well......so going the standard route would be cool as well.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Lot of value here at 32. I really think the BPA here is TE Rudolph. Out of the players left to choose from, I suspect Clayborn and Smith could be gone by now. All it takes is one team to fall in love with a prospect. I also feel like someone will pick Rudolph in the late first round. It seems like he's been flying under-the-radar up until this point.

In most years, IMO, it wouldn't even be a question that Kyle Rudolph would go in the first round. Then again, most years there isn't an abundance of first round defensive line talent like this year.

Guiness
04-18-2011, 07:35 PM
A TE? JHC, we better cut Lee this year then. If we carry 5 TE's into next season my head will explode!!!

re: Smith lying to teams...on what planet did he think he would not get caught?

edit: looked around for info on Smith's arrests, and found very little that wasn't about the Jaguar's former WR! Seems like he had two arrests for underage drinking. I'm not sure what to make of that, and what sort of a police force keeps track of those sorts of things? I'm my hometown police force kept records of underage drinking tickets in the days before computers, they'd need another building to keep them all in!

There have also been mentions of drug tests failed, but I couldn't find anything on them. Do you have any links Lurker?

http://www.ralphiereport.com/2011/3/1/2024278/recapping-the-nfl-combine-for-nate-solder-and-jimmy-smith

Bretsky
04-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Lot of value here at 32. I really think the BPA here is TE Rudolph. Out of the players left to choose from, I suspect Clayborn and Smith could be gone by now. All it takes is one team to fall in love with a prospect. I also feel like someone will pick Rudolph in the late first round. It seems like he's been flying under-the-radar up until this point.

In most years, IMO, it wouldn't even be a question that Kyle Rudolph would go in the first round. Then again, most years there isn't an abundance of first round defensive line talent like this year.

Does Rudolph possess elite talent ? He seems like a decent player, but I'm not sure he is great at anything. Is he any better than a Greg Olson ?. I can maybe see a team in need of a TE taking him here but IMO it'd be a need pick. If we're going BPA I'm not sure how to argue Rudolph over Smith. Since this is how the board fell the argument of they will probably not be there as a reason not to vote for them is no more valid that it was when some tried to use that argument against Ingram .

Lurker64
04-18-2011, 08:31 PM
I didn't hear that, but it does redefine stupid..........what did he lie about ?

He told teams that he had only been arrested once. The actual number of times he was arrested was significantly closer to four. It's not unthinkable that a kid might want to hide this, but it's pretty stupid to do so at a job interview where the people talking to you actually know your arrest record. If you don't actually know how many times you've been arrested, well... that's a problem.

This is your ship Lurk......but the bracket challenge might be interesting. You could do the seeds. Create Four Seperate threads at the same time for the top 8.......and then you could give a couple days for people to download scouting reports and build a case for the person of their choice in the four threads.

But that might be a lot of work as well......so going the standard route would be cool as well.

Happy to do this, I'd be happier figuring out the seedings if more people (you already did this so you're exempt) would post their top eight seeds.

Personally, I would definitely include: Ijalana, Watkins, Reed, Clayborn.

But the last four spots are trickier.

We would want to include a WR probably, but Young, Hankerson, or Cobb (or someone else)?
In terms of OLB prospects other than Reed, there's Jabal Sheard, Mason Foster, Martez Wilson all of whom would be reasonable picks here.
In terms of "general value picks" it's worth considering guys like LeShoure, Smith, and Rudolph at positions we generally wouldn't consider as needs.
If I include Watkins and Ijalana, why not consider Stefen Wisniewski too?

So I'm at too many names, and I don't know if we want to do sixteen (I kind of don't.)

A thought that crossed my mind would be to do four "groups" (an OL group, an OLB group, a WR group, and a WildCard group) and then do a 4-person bracket once we've filtered but that might even be more complicated.

Bretsky
04-18-2011, 08:55 PM
He told teams that he had only been arrested once. The actual number of times he was arrested was significantly closer to four. It's not unthinkable that a kid might want to hide this, but it's pretty stupid to do so at a job interview where the people talking to you actually know your arrest record. If you don't actually know how many times you've been arrested, well... that's a problem.

Happy to do this, I'd be happier figuring out the seedings if more people (you already did this so you're exempt) would post their top eight seeds.

Personally, I would definitely include: Ijalana, Watkins, Reed, Clayborn.

But the last four spots are trickier.

We would want to include a WR probably, but Young, Hankerson, or Cobb (or someone else)?
In terms of OLB prospects other than Reed, there's Jabal Sheard, Mason Foster, Martez Wilson all of whom would be reasonable picks here.
In terms of "general value picks" it's worth considering guys like LeShoure, Smith, and Rudolph at positions we generally wouldn't consider as needs.
If I include Watkins and Ijalana, why not consider Stefen Wisniewski too?

So I'm at too many names, and I don't know if we want to do sixteen (I kind of don't.)

A thought that crossed my mind would be to do four "groups" (an OL group, an OLB group, a WR group, and a WildCard group) and then do a 4-person bracket once we've filtered but that might even be more complicated.

Ijalana, Watkins, Reed, Clayborn.

These along with Smith to me are probably the no brainers. Attitudes aside Smith is the best football player left so its interesting to see who will go BPA with an attitude

16 would probably be a nightmare IMO

If you can choose eight you can go two days for each round and allow a few days for the finale

But it would be helpful if others would post their top 8

TennesseePackerBacker
04-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Someone enlighten me please. Does Clayborn possess the bulk required to play 3-4 DE? I always felt like he projected better as a 4-3 DE. And Bretsky, Rudolph just passes the eyeball test for me. Nothing more. He may not be great at anything, but he is the best TE prospect available hands down.

Bretsky
04-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Someone enlighten me please. Does Clayborn possess the bulk required to play 3-4 DE? I always felt like he projected better as a 4-3 DE. And Bretsky, Rudolph just passes the eyeball test for me. Nothing more. He may not be great at anything, but he is the best TE prospect available hands down.

I was thinking about this more; there is something to be said to the idea of having two great TE's. It's another way to fill in for a guy like Jones who might leave

Lurker64
04-18-2011, 09:39 PM

Clayborn is 281, so he can certainly bulk up to play the position. Wynn and Wilson were about that heavy when drafted, and Neal was a little heavier. The real problem with projecting Clayborn to play 5-technique would be his lack of ideal length (he's 6'2 5/8 and his arms are 32 1/2") and the fact that one of his arms doesn't work. I think that honestly if I was dead-set on drafting a DE with the top pick, I would rather trade back and get the other Iowa DE: Christian Ballard, who's bigger and longer (and his arms work).

But to be honest, I don't like taking a DE here with the board the way it is. 5-techs just aren't that valuable if you're not going to get elite ones, and we're not going to get one here.

swede
04-18-2011, 10:00 PM

I picked Brandon Harris for the Steelers.

At the combines he was amazing, outclassing everyone in the ball and movement drills except for Peterson. If he doesn't go in the first he'll at least be the third CB taken.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-18-2011, 10:15 PM
I was thinking about this more; there is something to be said to the idea of having two great TE's. It's another way to fill in for a guy like Jones who might leave

Agreed. You just never know with Ted. How much does he think Quarless progresses in the next couple of years? How high is his ceiling?

get louder at lambeau
04-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Clayborn is 281, so he can certainly bulk up to play the position. Wynn and Wilson were about that heavy when drafted, and Neal was a little heavier. The real problem with projecting Clayborn to play 5-technique would be his lack of ideal length (he's 6'2 5/8 and his arms are 32 1/2") and the fact that one of his arms doesn't work. I think that honestly if I was dead-set on drafting a DE with the top pick, I would rather trade back and get the other Iowa DE: Christian Ballard, who's bigger and longer (and his arms work).

But to be honest, I don't like taking a DE here with the board the way it is. 5-techs just aren't that valuable if you're not going to get elite ones, and we're not going to get one here.

So he's a little undersized for the 3-4, his arm is fucked up, and he doesn't play an especially valuable position. He's a potential first round pick why? Is this draft that weak?

Lurker64
04-18-2011, 10:24 PM
So he's a little undersized for the 3-4, his arm is fucked up, and he doesn't play an especially valuable position. He's a potential first round pick why? Is this draft that weak?

In the words of one NFC General Manager Clayborn is a "one-armed ass kicker". He doesn't go 100% all the time, but when his motor is on on he's relentless and plays mean.

I still think I'd rather see him going to a 4-3 team, even though he can only play on the right side (and that asymmetry may lead him to be much better suited to playing a 7-tech than a 5-tech).

get louder at lambeau
04-18-2011, 10:31 PM
So, is he a symptom of the weak draft that we were told this one would be after all the juniors came out last year before the CBA expired?

Bretsky
04-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Just to clarify....his condition is not new and he was an asskicker in college. Teams like the Badgers game planned for the guy because he was dominant. A lot of projections had him going to the Tampa Bay Bucs and I'm not at all surprised if he's picked in round one. I'm not sure I'd be sold on him in GB but he has been a dominant player at every level.

Another guy who the NFL Network has been doing a lot of previews about his immense talent is Marvin Austin. Some felt he'll be a better player than Robert Quinn and in ten years many will wonder why the dude didn't go top ten in this draft.

Lurker64
04-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Another guy who the NFL Network has been doing a lot of previews about his immense talent is Marvin Austin. Some felt he'll be a better player than Robert Quinn and in ten years many will wonder why the dude didn't go top ten in this draft.

Austin is all hype and no production. Came into college as a ***** recruit, shows amazing physical tools in workouts, just disappears on tape (in fact he's never actually appeared on tape), and is a pretty bad character guy (he was the ringleader of the scandal that got all those North Carolina players suspended). Prior to his suspension is entire college career has been "Man, if Marvin Austin ever gets it he could be great." He's never gotten it and I doubt he will. If you actually want him to "get it" you don't take him in the first round, you catch him after he falls and hope that lights a fire at him. Then you hire a defensive quality control coordinator to follow him around and yell at him all the time.

He's also a better 3-tech than than a 5-tech (he's south of 6'2" and his arms are south of 33"), so I doubt he'll be our problem. I'd rather get Allen Bailey than Marvin Austin, and I don't like Bailey.

Bretsky
04-18-2011, 11:47 PM
truth be told, every time I look at this draft and our PR projections unless somebody falls into our lap I'm all about trading down this year. A number of teams will IMO be looking to move up and nab a guy like Christian Ponder or Locker if MN or Miami does not select him. This should fall right into the strengths of guys that like to move around like Hoody and Teddy.

If you look at our list, nothing screams value at our pick. Jimmy Smith has top fifteen talent but he's a nut job. None of those guys left would bring me the warm fuzzy feeling of last year when Buluga just fell in our laps

Bretsky
04-18-2011, 11:51 PM
OK, here seems to be TEN............who should we knock off ??? I added Harris and Rudolph per positive discussions. I knocked off the WR because I don't think any is worthy of round one. Wisniewski.....I don't think he's as good as the two we have on the list and he seems to be rated lower than the top two on everywhere I look.

I like Sherrod more than either of these OL guys if he's available though.

Lurker......you are the ship captain........if you don't get any more input why don't you pick eight of these that you think would get the best votes or start it by having two wildcard matchups in order to get to the final eight..

Ijalana
Watkins,
Reed
Martez Wilson
Mikel LeShoure
Kyle Rudolph
Clayborn
Jimmy Smith
Brandon Harris
Marvin Austin

Lurker64
04-18-2011, 11:56 PM
People other than Bretsky should post the eight guys they want to appear in the bracket.

Bretsky
04-19-2011, 12:03 AM
agree........fwiw I would not put the TE or the CB Harris on my list but since a couple others spoke positively of them I added them to the last list I provided on that ten

.....this is some interesting research............on Marvin Austin..........

Perspectives:

Nolan Nawrocki, Pro Football Weekly:

Interviewed very poorly at the Combine, very selfishly throwing his college under the bus and refusing to take responsibility for any of the wrongdoings that led to his dismissal from the team. Has earned a reputation in the NFL scouting community as a "finger-pointing, excuse-making con artist" who does not know what it means to lead.

More Nawrocki:

Has clear first-round talent as one-gap penetrator in a 4-3 defense after showing well at the East-West Shrine game and at the Combine, and could fit into the back of the first round, but a number of teams have said they would not consider him until the third round, or would not want him at any price because of the way he will affect a locker room.

Why he’s a fit for San Francisco:

Could be an ideal fit as a 3-4 end talent-wise, but as touched upon by Nawrocki’s perspectives, I wouldn’t trust him to make the transition.

Austin is a big time player, and I bet he has a year or two of significant productivity in the NFL…but the character issues will resurface (they always do), and for a team hoping to contend right around the time I’m predicting Austin to go wild, he’s just not worth the risk. Not even in the third-round.

Bretsky
04-19-2011, 12:07 AM
and a bit more; I'm not sure TT would consider a dude with this type of character risk. After all, the only reason TT passed on Odell Thurman was because of character concerns and bad interviews :)

Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina
Height: 6-2. Weight: 309.
Projected 40 Time: 4.88.
Combine 40 Time: 4.80.
Pro Day 40 Time: DNP.
Benchx225: 38. Vertical: 30.5. Arm: 32 5/8.
Projected Round (2011): 1-2.
4/1/11: Marvin Austin had a great Pro Day, prompting Mike Mayock to state that he'd be surprised if Austin weren't picked between 20 and 32.

3/1/11: In the words of Al Davis, "Marvin... Austin... is a... great... playa... too bad... we've spent... all our money... on John... Hendehson... and... Richard... Seemoh..."

After dominating the East-West Game, Austin had a strong showing at the Combine. At 6-2, 309 pounds, Austin ran a 4.80 40 and notched a 38-inch vertical.

1/26/11: Marvin Austin predictably dominated the East-West Shrine Game, but reportedly bombed in the interviews. Someone will take a shot on him with a Day 2 pick.

10/8/10: Austin has been suspended indefinitely by head coach Butch Davis, and this is unrelated to the NCAA investigation of the North Carolina football team. Pictures and information have surfaced and there is now a mountain of character concerns surrounding Austin. Some team might take a gamble on Austin's talent in the early rounds, but there is also the chance that 75 percent of the league removes him from their 2011 NFL Draft Boards.

Lurker64
04-19-2011, 01:05 AM
I'll post brackets tomorrow around noon, taking into account anybody's top eight that appears in the meantime.

packrulz
04-19-2011, 05:30 AM
Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor
Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami (Fla)
Randall Cobb, WR, Kentucky
Rodney Hudson, OG/C, Florida State
Ben Ijalana, OT, Villanova
Jabaal Sheard, DE, Pittsburgh
Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
These are some guys I like, Clayborns one arm problem bothers me in the 1st round, Hudson could start at LG and move to C eventually, Cobb also is a PR/KR, Dowling was banged up but would've gone much higher, I doubt Brooks Reed will be drafted in the 1st round.

Smeefers
04-19-2011, 08:28 AM
From http://www.draftcountdown.com/Rankings/TOP.php

I figure it would be better to go off of someone elses rankings than our own. If this is useless, don't use it. Those in bold are the ones I'd put in.

17 Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
20 Brandon Harris, CB, Florida
25 Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
30 Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
31 Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
34 Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor
41 Brooks Reed, DE, Arizona
45 Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
49 Jabaal Sheard, DE, Pittsburgh
52 Rodney Hudson, OG/C, Florida State
53 Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina
55 Ben Ijalana, OT, Villanova
57 Randall Cobb, WR, Kentucky
58 Mikel LeShoure, RB, Illinois
59 Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami (Fla)
60 Martez Wilson, ILB, Illinois

Tarlam!
04-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Clayborns one arm problem bothers me in the 1st round

And I think you are far from alone in this, packrulz. This is a player career that I'll be closely watching and if he doesn't go to an NFC North ball club, I'll be rooting for him. I know nothing about the condition he has, BTW. I'm sure the GMs and coaches in the selection committees around the league have become experts, though. So if he is, in fact, taken in the 1st, I'm sure they'll have done their homework.

RashanGary
04-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Clayborn is a good athlete with good production, but not great. Plus he has the arm problem. Danny Watkins seems like the safe pick. Ijalana is safe. Dowlling is very high upside, but he's a CB, not a big guy and you can find corners later. He also has injury risk.

I think I'd lean Watkins/Ijalana/Dowling right now, in that order.

I'd put James Carpenter in there too. He's more of a tackle than Ijalana and Watkins. He was a rock at Alabama. He's a slightly more powerful athlete than Bulaga, with slightly less agility (but close in all areas). All in all, I think a very similar prospect to Bulaga. I'd rather have a tackle than guard. You can find guards later in the draft. I think he's the prototype RT. I'd love to have two 22 year old legit starting tackles. I'm sure Rodgers would too.

get louder at lambeau
04-19-2011, 09:50 AM
A DE with a fucked up arm who doesn't go 100% all the time and a 26 year old OG being considered in the first round. I'll answer my own question, since nobody else has-

This is a weak draft.

Guiness
04-19-2011, 10:20 AM
dp

Tarlam!
04-19-2011, 10:41 AM
I'd put James Carpenter in there too. He's more of a tackle than Ijalana and Watkins. He was a rock at Alabama. He's a slightly more powerful athlete than Bulaga, with slightly less agility (but close in all areas).

He's no longer flying under the radar. I've seen him more and more in some draftniks blog. It seems your not alone with your assessment.

Guiness
04-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Here's my list

Watkins,
Martez Wilson
Kyle Rudolph
Clayborn
Jimmy Smith
Ijalana
Paea (strong as an ox. Can he play NT?)

And a player I haven't seen mentioned
Allen Bailey

So I end up with 2OL, 3DL, and LB, CB and TE. Not that I think it matters, because at this pick, it should be about value, not need. Which is why I don't like the pick I think is going to win out, Brooks Reed.

With honourable mention to Bradon Harris and Jake Locker who I think will be first rounders, but there's no chance of us taking.

I don't know what to make of Austin. Not sure what he did to get in so much trouble, or why it's looked upon so badly. Robert Quinn was suspended for a year, but goes top ten? However, the comments about him being a 'finger pointing, excuse making con-artist' are damaging - I'll take a guy with a weed and/or alcohol arrest over that any day!

RashanGary
04-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Last year, there were two guys predicted to go late first to early 2nd that I thought were highly underrated. Tyson Alualu and Ryan Matthews. They went 10 and 12 respectively, higher than any mock draft had them going.

This year, Ras-I Dowling and James Carpenter are two guys I think are worthy of higher picks than the media has projected. Both are mid-late 2nd round picks. I could see both sliding into the first round, with Carpenter to us even. Dowling would have to go to a confident GM. With his SR season ruined, it's going to take a very sure-of-himself GM to pull the trigger, but he has a ton of talent and production.

I'm more sure of Carpenter than Dowling, but I like both, possibly to us even.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-19-2011, 11:50 AM
I think you have to take out Clayborn and Marvin Austin. Neither really fit our scheme. The one time BPA backfires is if you're trying to plug a square peg in a round hole.

I actually like Clayborn a lot too, Erb's palsy or not. He has flat out dominated at times. His Jr. year was his most impressive. Had he not stayed in school for his senior year he might have well been picked top 15 that year. That seemed to be the rumour anyway.

I believe someone is going to get a hell of a talent in Clayborn. Clayborn not only has the talent, he was also a leader for that Iowa team. Austin? I'm not so sure. The talent is there, but the character is lacking.

Bretsky
04-19-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm surprised more are not excited about Reed; I wasn't one of them but a lot of posters voted for him in the last Mock Draft

Can Wilson play OLB as well ? If he can he's a classid TT pick and it spells the end of Barnett.

Bretsky
04-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Lots of campaigning for many different players . if nobody falls into our lap a trade down may be the best option.

Then again, if I watch four to five hours of round one Thursday a part of me will be a bit disappointed in GB trades out of round one and doesn't even pick. Actually that would be classic.

Cheers,
B

Smidgeon
04-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Lots of campaigning for many different players . if nobody falls into our lap a trade down may be the best option.

Then again, if I watch four to five hours of round one Thursday a part of me will be a bit disappointed in GB trades out of round one and doesn't even pick. Actually that would be classic.

Cheers,
B

(See Nelson, Jordy)

Bretsky
04-19-2011, 12:33 PM
(See Nelson, Jordy)

Yes but remember that was when round one and two were same day; I remember Red and I were howling from Brandon Flowers as they made the Jordy pick, which turned out ok

This year we could watch the whole draft, trade out, and have to wait til the next afternoon waiting for our first pick

Lurker64
04-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Linking to Bracket threads:
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?22000-Draftstravaganza-Bracket-1A-%28-1%29-Reed-vs.-%28-8%29-LeShoure
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?22001-Draftstravaganza-Bracker-%281B%29-%28-2%29-Ijalana-vs.-%28-6%29-Wilson
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?22002-Draftstravaganza-Bracket-1C-%28-3%29-Clayborn-vs.-%28-5%29-Watkins
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?22003-Draftstravaganza-Bracket-1D-%28-4%29-Hankerson-vs.-%28-5%29-Rudolph

Jimmy Smith and Marvin Austin are arbitrarily rejected for character. Hankerson edges out other WR prospects because he fits a profile that TT likes drafting better than others (big, good hands). Wilson edges out Mason Foster because of his pass rush ability and Sheard because of his ability to play in space, more complete OLB prospect than either of the two (most complete of any OLB available IMO). Rudolph and LeShoure are value picks.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Sheard would be the one I'd like to see the most. Any of the interior big men wouldn't be bad as well. I'm higher on Watkins than most.

Bretsky
04-19-2011, 05:34 PM
getlouder

You keep mentioning this is a weak draft
I think this is spot on

Everybody has been hyping the OL prospects of this year. Charlie Casserly just compared his ratings from this year's OL prospects to last years. When he lined them up....last yrs best vs this yrs best as prospects...and so on...........every OT from last year was rated higher.

This is a draft with a lot of good players but not as many elite ones IMO. A nice year to pile up picks in rounds two to four with trade downs IMO

Lurker64
04-19-2011, 05:40 PM
You can't get complacent just because you think the draft is weak though. 2008 was reportedly a weak draft, but you still had Jamaal Charles and Jermichael Finley as 3rd round picks.

Bretsky
04-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Hey, I'm more fired up for this draft than I've been for the past three years !

Part of this is because the past two years have been insance for me on the job and this year I'm kind of slow so I have time to read up and pay attention a lot more.

packrulz
04-20-2011, 04:39 AM
I'm surprised more are not excited about Reed; I wasn't one of them but a lot of posters voted for him in the last Mock Draft

Can Wilson play OLB as well ? If he can he's a classid TT pick and it spells the end of Barnett.
I like Reed, but he's no Clay Matthews, most of the mocks have him going in the 2nd round, a few have him going to the Packers in round 2. Besides, they have Jones, Walden, and Zombo, who are pretty good, they did win the Super Bowl. I guess I'm more concerned about depth on the offensive and defensive line, and wide receiver, Driver is getting old. From what I've read, Wilson can also play OLB, and TT likes versatile players.

Guiness
04-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Here's a list of players invited to the draft.

Watkins is on it, Reed and Ijalana are not.

Raheem Moore is also on it - I don't think he was selected, or even mentioned in either of the PR drafts.

Lurker64
04-25-2011, 04:04 PM
The league also invites players for day 2 of the draft. Moore is squarely a day 2 pick.

Guiness
04-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Guess it would help if I posted the list and link!
http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/28810757

Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska Akeem Ayers LB UCLA Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa Randall Cobb WR Kentucky Marcell Dareus DT Alabama Nick Fairley DT Auburn Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri A.J. Green WR Georgia Mark Herzlich LB Boston College Mark Ingram RB Alabama Cameron Jordan DE California Julio Jones WR Alabama Ryan Kerrigan DE Purdue Corey Liuget DT Illnois Von Miller LB Texas A&M Rahim Moore S UCLA Cam Newton QB Auburn Patrick Peterson CB LSU Mike Pouncey OL Florida Aldon Smith DE Missouri Tyron Smith OT USC Phil Taylor DT Baylor Danny Watkins OG Baylor JJ Watt DE Wisconsin Ryan Williams RB Virginia Tech

Ryan Williams is also on it, another likely day 2 pick.

So, do they ask these guys to show up for day 2? They don't go to the room and sit through day one, do they?

Lurker64
04-25-2011, 08:49 PM

Prince Amukamara (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1263300) CB Nebraska Akeem Ayers (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1244512) LB UCLA Adrian Clayborn (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1115762) DE Iowa Randall Cobb (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1632091) WR Kentucky Marcell Dareus (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1632200) DT Alabama Nick Fairley (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1691450) DT Auburn Blaine Gabbert (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1630777) QB Missouri A.J. Green (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1673207) WR Georgia Mark Herzlich (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1243115) LB Boston College Mark Ingram (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1623793) RB Alabama Cameron Jordan (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1272992) DE California Julio Jones (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1623794) WR Alabama Ryan Kerrigan (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1243851) DE Purdue Corey Liuget (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1630900) DT Illnois Von Miller (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1620879) LB Texas A&M Rahim Moore (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1631960) S UCLA Cam Newton (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1273186) QB Auburn Patrick Peterson (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1632296) CB LSU Mike Pouncey (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1273190) OL Florida Aldon Smith (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1630791) DE Missouri Tyron Smith (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1631899) OT USC Phil Taylor (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1673342) DT Baylor Danny Watkins (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1664030) OG Baylor JJ Watt DE Wisconsin Ryan Williams (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1630601) RB Virginia Tech

So, do they ask these guys to show up for day 2? They don't go to the room and sit through day one, do they?

I think the way they do it is that they invite all those guys to hang out backstage at the draft and be wined and dined on the NFL's nickel, but they don't show anybody except the guys certain to be drafted high until they're drafted. That way they get to have people there to create buzz/prestige for day 2, but they're not shaming anybody because they weren't the favorite player of any of the 31 teams picking in the first. Of that list I would be surprised if Herzlich goes before day 3, to be honest. I mean, he's got the mother of all medical red flags and he didn't exactly play well last season.

swede
04-25-2011, 08:51 PM

Prince Amukamara (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1263300) CB Nebraska Akeem Ayers (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1244512) LB UCLA Adrian Clayborn (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1115762) DE Iowa Randall Cobb (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1632091) WR Kentucky Marcell Dareus (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1632200) DT Alabama Nick Fairley (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1691450) DT Auburn Blaine Gabbert (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1630777) QB Missouri A.J. Green (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1673207) WR Georgia Mark Herzlich (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1243115) LB Boston College Mark Ingram (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1623793) RB Alabama Cameron Jordan (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1272992) DE California Julio Jones (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1623794) WR Alabama Ryan Kerrigan (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1243851) DE Purdue Corey Liuget (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1630900) DT Illnois Von Miller (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1620879) LB Texas A&M Rahim Moore (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1631960) S UCLA Cam Newton (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1273186) QB Auburn Patrick Peterson (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1632296) CB LSU Mike Pouncey (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1273190) OL Florida Aldon Smith (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1630791) DE Missouri Tyron Smith (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1631899) OT USC Phil Taylor (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1673342) DT Baylor Danny Watkins (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1664030) OG Baylor JJ Watt DE Wisconsin Ryan Williams (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1630601) RB Virginia Tech

At this point I almost think the sheer number and profiles of the chosen players suggests that the league/media are looking for a chance to create artificial drama. I'd much prefer a smaller number of players on site and then embed cameras in the homes of individual players with interesting back stories and situations as the players and the families await the big phone call.