04-16-2011, 08:08 AM
Naptime.

How many Jenkins threads we need?

Tarlam!
04-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Naptime.

How many Jenkins threads we need?

This is a poll.

Missing is, keep him if he's willing to sign for a reasonable price, which is what I would have voted. If he wants to blow up the bank, let him go, regardless of the draft. Sends a sign to next years UFAs.

get louder at lambeau
04-16-2011, 11:15 AM
This poll's options are messed up. Option A and B depend on different draft outcomes. You could choose both at the same time.

Bretsky
04-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Keeping him at a reasonable price would probably be too easy of a choice Tarlem. We'd all go for that if he's willing to give us some sort of Super Bowl/winner discount as opposed to going to the highest bidder in Washington or Oakland and losing.

The question is do we pay him market value
and more important to answer the poll

What is his market value?

TennesseePackerBacker
04-16-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm not voting on the poll. If you are going to give such varied answers make sure there are options for everything. How on Earth will we know how substantial a player is from the draft after only a couple months?

Tarlam!
04-16-2011, 12:04 PM

It's a fair point, B, but then Skin was right; another Jenkins thread.

Anyway, like anything, it's a case of supply and demand. The draftniks are calling the DL class "deep". Here's the list of UFA's at DL: http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=DL&y=2011 . How does he rank with that lot?

Who do you benchmark him against? No way he can be classed with a Peppers or Jarad Allen, IMO. But you guys know more about it. I think he's maybe 65-70% of those two. So, I would only pay 70% of their mean and only increase or maybe even decrease based on what else is available.

get louder at lambeau
04-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Keeping him at a reasonable price would probably be too easy of a choice Tarlem. We'd all go for that if he's willing to give us some sort of Super Bowl/winner discount as opposed to going to the highest bidder in Washington or Oakland and losing.

Yep, those are the real questions. What is his market value, and is he worth as much to the Packers as he would be to any other team on the open market?

He is a great fit for the Packers in their 3-4 and nickel package, where he is big enough to hold up against the run yet still gives some good pass rush. In the 4-3, he isn't what most teams pay big money for in a DE, which is a 270 pound-ish speed rusher who can get 10 sacks or more per season. In 7 years, Cullen's highest sack total was 7 and his average was just over 4 sacks, playing in both the 3-4 and 4-3. He would be used on the inside as a 3 technique DT by most 4-3 teams, which is generally a lower paid position than DE. 3-4 DE isn't often one of the higher paid positions on a team either.

It's hard to guess at Cullen's real market value. I haven't seen many people make actual dollar figure guesses. A lot of it depends if someone like Crazy Al Davis decides to throw a stupid amount of money at him in desperation. His injury history and borderline age (30) makes it even harder to guess. I think his best position is as a 3-4 DE, as the Packers used him, so I wouldn't rule out the Packers being a real player in the bidding.

My guess is that Jenkins and his agent want some big money. This should be his last shot at a big contract, and he would be dumb to not try to maximize it's value. With his value being so hard to determine, the best bet for both Jenkins and the Packers might be to let the open market figure it out, and then see if the Packers are out of the running or not.

My unedumacated guess at his value? About $6-8 mil per year or so. I'd love to see the Packers sign him for 4 years, $30 mil, with about half that guaranteed. If it gets closer to $10 mil per year, I'd expect the Packers to drop out of the bidding and focus on developing some young guns like Neal and Wilson, along with a draft pick or two. That's a lot to spend on a 3-4 DE, especially one with Cullen's injury history.

Bretsky
04-16-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure who to compare his contract to; I was trying to remember a DL similar to him signing on the market and my brain is mush on that one.

I'm guessing he brings in seven to eight and a half million per year on a four year deal

I'm guessing TT would throw six per year at him but he'll look for one big last payday

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-16-2011, 01:20 PM
I don't think TT even tries to sign Jenkins. Nelson, Sitton, and Finely are all free agents next year. If you re-sign Jenkins to even 6mil/year, do you honestly believe that we will have enough money to re-sign these players next season? Year after that you have Jennings again, and maybe Matthews and Raji, etc, etc. Even though I think Jenkins is perfect for our scheme, I think we have to let him walk.

Tarlam!
04-16-2011, 01:58 PM
Peppers got $42 mil guaranteed for 6 years. $84 - 110 mil performance based.
3/5/2010: Signed a six-year, $84 million contract. The deal contains $42 million guaranteed, including a $6.5 million signing bonus and a first-year roster bonus of $12.5 million. Another $7.5 million is available through incentives based on sacks, Pro Bowl berths, and Defensive Player of the Year awards. Peppers can earn annual $100,000 workout bonuses in years one through five. 2011: $900,000 (+ $10.5 million "signing" bonus), 2012: $8.9 million, 2013: $12.9 million, 2014: $13.9 million, 2015: $16.5 million, 2016: Free Agen

He was 30 when he signed the contract. As GLAL pointed out, he was a 10 sack a year guy at Carolina (8 sacks last year) and he's a 4-3 DE.

Jared Allen

4/23/2008: Signed a six-year, $73.26 million contract. The deal contains $31 million guaranteed, including a $15.5 million signing bonus, a $4 million second-year "signing" bonus, and a $4 million guaranteed-for-injury roster bonus in the third season. 2011: $8,979,438, 2012: $11,619,850, 2013: $14,280,612, 2014: Free Agen

Allen is 29. He had 10 - 11 sacks last season. Like Peppers, he plays End in a 4-3.

Now, looking at the Packers' salary structur for 2011:

Rodgers - 7.2m
Jennings - 7 m
Woodson - 8.5 (includes 2m roster bonus)
Collins - 2.9m
Cliffy - 3.5 m
Picket - 2.7m

RashanGary
04-16-2011, 02:05 PM
This poll's options are messed up. Option A and B depend on different draft outcomes. You could choose both at the same time.

I know, I realized that too late. Oh well. . .