PDA

View Full Version : Not Excited About the Draft

Smidgeon
04-19-2011, 11:46 AM
It's weird. Most years I'll do a lot of reading about the draft, be looking at pundit mock drafts at least weekly, be salivating for any information--even if it's misinformation, be reading up on prospects that may fall to GB, and salivating over one or two.

This year? Not so much. I don't even know why. I think it's for a gaggle of reasons:
1) No NFL offseason means to free agents signings (with other teams) to keep the interest piqued.
2) A Super Bowl win puts me in delayed mode. I normally wouldn't be expecting the draft for another month.
3) I don't have this "we just need [this position] to win the Super Bowl" since the Packers just won the Super Bowl.
4) None of the prospects seemingly projected to be available at #32 strike me with interest. (Kind of like when AJ Hawk was on the board and I was really hoping Mario would drop. When he didn't, I didn't think anyone else was particularly special.)

Hopefully Ted's got something up his sleeve to turn up the anticipation, because right now mine's dwindling quickly.

Tarlam!
04-19-2011, 12:25 PM
I am really looking forward to the draft for a variety of reasons, not least of all being that the NFC North has become really competitve/interesting.

Can the Bears manage to add an OT to keep Cutler from being sacked 50 times?
Can the Vikes draft a servicable QB? Will he have anyone to throw to?
Can the Lions pick up a few more pieces and finally, after a decade of oblivion, make the playoffs?

And how 'bout that NFC West??

I'm psyched up for the draft!!

Bretsky
04-19-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm looking forward to it and have been reading up at multiple sites....but I can tell I'm kind of in the minority because there is not the amount of draft threads/analysis in our forum as there has been in the past.

Pugger
04-19-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm looking forward to it just so we'll have some actual new football stuff to talk about. With the lockout there isn't much to talk about except maybe the Madden cover poll. ;-)

Smidgeon
04-19-2011, 02:12 PM
I am looking forward to the post-draft analysis. I'm just not anticipating the actual draft...

Lurker64
04-19-2011, 03:04 PM
It's hardest to get psyched for the draft when you're picking at #32. There's the lingering thought that everybody you get excited about probably won't be there when you pick, unless you can maintain enthusiasm for 33 people.

The NFL offseason in general this year being depressing doesn't help.

RashanGary
04-19-2011, 03:28 PM
We got Clay Matthews, Aaron Rodgers, Greg Jennings and Nick Collins all after pick #23, all in the last 6 years. I know we're picking at #32, but Ted is a great GM. This is the part of the draft he gets the bulk of his great players. Pick 20 - Pick 50 is Ted's sweet spot. This year, being a down year, it's probably pick 15 - Pick 40. We're going to have a big swing and if history has anything to say about it, we're going to hit it on the screws.

pittstang5
04-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Yep, I'm no where near excited about this year as I have been in years past. I usually have a spread sheet all set up and move players up and down according to where I think they might be drafted. Then I have a separate spread sheet with all players I like for the Packers and potential rounds they may be taken in. Right now I have nothing. I think my biggest issue this year is the lack of Free agency. I follow where players land then try to figure out how teams might draft based on who they lost and who they picked up.

Tarlam!
04-20-2011, 09:48 AM
What I didn't understand is that the League invited Nevada QB Kaepernick to the "Green Room" in NYC for the draft. The guy is projected as a late 1st at best, probably 2nd rounder. He wisely declined.

What's up with that, though? I understand that there's a lockout and maybe there'll be less rooks available, but inviting a 2nd day pick? That sucks.

Smidgeon
04-20-2011, 10:19 AM
What I didn't understand is that the League invited Nevada QB Kaepernick to the "Green Room" in NYC for the draft. The guy is projected as a late 1st at best, probably 2nd rounder. He wisely declined.

What's up with that, though? I understand that there's a lockout and maybe there'll be less rooks available, but inviting a 2nd day pick? That sucks.

Pretty sure they started doing that when they split the second round to a different evening than the first round. I know they've purposefully invited some second round projections in the past, I just can't remember which ones or where they actually went.

VermontPackFan
04-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Yep, I'm no where near excited about this year as I have been in years past. I usually have a spread sheet all set up and move players up and down according to where I think they might be drafted. Then I have a separate spread sheet with all players I like for the Packers and potential rounds they may be taken in. Right now I have nothing.

Sounds like you got a girlfriend or got married:) My biggest fear is waiting for the Pack to pick at #32 only to have TT trade down leaving me waiting until the next day to hear GB's selection.

Tarlam!
04-20-2011, 10:30 AM
My biggest fear is waiting for the Pack to pick at #32 only to have TT trade down leaving me waiting until the next day to hear GB's selection.

I wouldn't be surprised if he trades up a few spots if he likes someone, VPF. Hang in there! :)

Fritz
04-20-2011, 10:43 AM
I have a boner.

Tarlam!
04-20-2011, 12:58 PM
I have a boner.

Oh, that's nice. BTW, how do you feel about the upcoming draft?

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-20-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm very excited about the draft! I hope we draft 9 linemen!

Bretsky
04-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Sounds like you got a girlfriend or got married:) My biggest fear is waiting for the Pack to pick at #32 only to have TT trade down leaving me waiting until the next day to hear GB's selection.

To be honest that would be ABSOULTELY AWESOME

Look at the board

In round two three of the top six or seven teams may need QB's.

Everybody knows after day one teams will be trying to move up to the first pick of round two and deal with Hoody Genius to get their guy.

Think if Buffalo traded up three picks or so and we got their 4th rounder
Ditto for Arizona

We could get about the same quality of character and pick up another solid player for years to come

ND72
04-20-2011, 10:51 PM
I really have not been into the draft this year either. Of course between making a state basketball run with the girls team I was coaching, starting track season, applying for jobs since my position was cut (thank you Walker), actually doing my job to the best of my ability, and within the next few hours will likely have my first child...there just hasn't been time in my life. However, I spend 10 minutes every day during my prep reading the latest updates, that way I don't feel like such a draft failure.

KYPack
04-20-2011, 11:10 PM
I really have not been into the draft this year either. Of course between making a state basketball run with the girls team I was coaching, starting track season, applying for jobs since my position was cut (thank you Walker), actually doing my job to the best of my ability, and within the next few hours will likely have my first child...there just hasn't been time in my life. However, I spend 10 minutes every day during my prep reading the latest updates, that way I don't feel like such a draft failure.

Stay busy, big fella.

Great to see you posting.

Keep coming with the draft info, kids.

A Rats mock draft is always a grin. The media ones are like old leftovers, but even more boring.

Tarlam!
04-20-2011, 11:12 PM
ND72, sorry 'bout the job loss. Good job on the coaching. You're in my prayers for for a healthy, uncomplicated birth for your wife and baby.

Fritz
04-21-2011, 07:02 AM
Oh, that's nice. BTW, how do you feel about the upcoming draft?

I have a boner.

VermontPackFan
04-21-2011, 07:10 AM

Things happen for a reason ND72, there will be opportunities for you out there. Good luck w/new baby!!!!! Will you name your son Aaron?

VermontPackFan
04-21-2011, 07:11 AM
I have a boner.

Dont hold back Fritz tell us how you really feel...:)

Tarlam!
04-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Dont hold back Fritz tell us how you really feel...:)

Obviously, he's in a lot of pain. He's had that boner for 36 hours and counting..... :) :)

Joe
04-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Obviously, he's in a lot of pain. He's had that boner for 36 hours and counting..... :) :)

The real question is, has he consulted with his doctor?

HowardRoark
04-21-2011, 08:40 AM
The real question is, has he consulted with his doctor?

He doesn't need a doctor for this one......

http://www.tvpredictions.com/hotbarrymore345.jpg

Tarlam!
04-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Trust our Howard R to make things worse! :) Fritz, hang in there buddy!!

ND72
04-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Things happen for a reason ND72, there will be opportunities for you out there. Good luck w/new baby!!!!! Will you name your son Aaron?

We are naming our daughter Breleigh....and we didnt realize it until the super bowl that it is Favres daughters name. However, if she's born on any draft days I have a clause which says I can name a form of Clay or A.J.