PDA

View Full Version : Draftstravaganza Bracker (1B): (#2) Ijalana vs. (#6) Wilson

Lurker64
04-19-2011, 02:38 PM
In our mock second draft ( http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?21986-2011-PackerRats-community-mock-second-draft ) we decided that rather than a free for all poll, we would try a bracket. Since there are three rounds to go through, we have to move quickly. As such polling for Round 1 close two days from the time of posting. If you're wondering why someone isn't in our bracket, it's probably because someone already picked him, or he got edged out of the top eight.

Let's meet the prospects (All Scouting reports are shamelessly cribbed from Wes Bunting at the excellent National Football Post).

Ben Ijalana OT, Villanova
6'3 5/8", 317 lbs.

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk479/Bl4ckRa1n/Ben-Ijalana1.jpg

A gifted athlete for his size who displays good range off the edge in pass protection and has the kind of athleticism needed to play on the left side in the NFL. Does a nice job quickly changing directions and redirecting in space, displays a lateral burst when asked to mirror one-on-one and exhibits the range to reach the corner. Is still raw with his footwork and too often stands upright initially off the snap and will get overextended on his kick-slide. However, he's a long-armed kid who sticks to blocks well once he gets a hold of defenders and is a really heavy-handed kid. Possesses a good first step off the snap and is able to consistently get around defenders and seal, and has improved getting off the snap count on time as a senior.

Has really improved his overall pad level as a run blocker as a senior. Does a much better job sitting into his stance, firing off the football low, extending his arms and keeping his feet under him through contact. A downright dominant in-line guy at the I-AA level who can routinely get under defenders, lock out and drive linemen off the ball. Is also very coordinated on the move, possesses good range when asked to pull, step and seal quickly inside and does a great job breaking down and eliminating a defender at the second level.

Impression: A downright dominant small-school blocker with a great physical/athletic skill set. Needs to continue to improve his footwork on his kick-slide, but he's a gifted enough athlete to pick that up quickly. The biggest question for Ijalana is, where does he best fit? He's long enough to play left tackle and physical enough to play guard. Either way he's one of the better offensive line prospects at this stage and in my view you let him get comfortable at guard in year one and see if he can make the move to left tackle in year two.

Martez Wislon, OLB, Illinois
6'3 3/4" 250 lbs

http://www.312sports.com/images/stories/Illinois/tez.jpg

A tall, high cut linebacker who possesses a broad set of shoulders but looks really thin through the lower half with a skinny pair of legs. Has a long set of arms and good overall closing range in pursuit. Possesses a solid feel inside keying off blocks, reading his run keys and finding the football inside. Isn't a real physical tackler, doesn't display a real snap through the hips on contact, but breaks down well and knows how to wrap on the play. Displays good short-area quickness in tight areas, has the ability to use his length to slip blocks and keep himself clean when trying to beat slide down blocks toward the edge. Showcases a solid work rate from the backside and closes well in pursuit. However, struggles to consistently stack and shed inside. Is easily washed out of plays when you can get into him and struggles to fight off blocks and disengage vs. the downhill run game.

Exhibits some unique talents when asked to blitz from the inside and has some natural pass-rush ability. Looks comfortable using his length in order to keep himself clean, is shifty when asked to work the inside move and has a real savvy as a pass rusher. Was used toward the end of the year as a rush linebacker off the edge and was extremely productive closing on the football from the backside, threatening the edge and forcing quarterbacks to step up in the pocket. Looks more comfortable rushing the passer from the inside where he can use his quickness to side step blocks, is a bit stiff and high off the edge when trying to turn the corner.

Displays above-average fluidity for a guy with his build, has the ability to open up his hips and generate a burst out of his breaks when asked to close in coverage. Isn't real comfortable with his footwork, seems to just bounce upright off the ball and doesn't get much depth in his drop. However, displays a solid feel in zone coverage reading his pass keys underneath and has the ability to hold up in man as well, closing quickly on the football and driving on the throw.

Missed the 2009 season after suffering a herniated disc in his neck and will need to check out medically.

Impression: A long, V-cut linebacker who doesn't seem to have the lower body girth to hold up inside. However, he has some range in pursuit, reads his run keys well and exhibits some pass-rush ability. Could get some long looks as a potential 3-4 rush guy as well as strong side back in a 4-3.

Lurker64
04-19-2011, 07:41 PM
This thread is lonely, having received no replies unlike the other three.

I really, really like Ijalana.

Deputy Nutz
04-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Ijalana. Wilson feels like a washout. A lot of these guys sound great at the end of the second round with enough ability to take a gamble on a late secound round pick, but not enough to take at the end of the first.

get louder at lambeau
04-19-2011, 08:04 PM
He's long enough to play left tackle and physical enough to play guard. Either way he's one of the better offensive line prospects at this stage and in my view you let him get comfortable at guard in year one and see if he can make the move to left tackle in year two.

Sold!

Bretsky
04-19-2011, 08:12 PM
This thread is lonely, having received no replies unlike the other three.

I really, really like Ijalana.

The other write ups I've seen are not as positive as this one. He should go by pick 40; I'd be ok with him

I'd rather have Sherrod but would much rather have Ijalana than Watkins.

Great scenario would be to trade down to Buffalo's spot, pick up their 4th, and draft this guy there

Guiness
04-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Not sold on either guy, and don't know enough (even though I brought up Martinez) to give either a nod. I abstain. That won't perogue the process, will it?