PDA

View Full Version : Draftstravaganza Bracket 1D: (#4) Hankerson vs. (#5) Rudolph

Lurker64
04-19-2011, 02:39 PM
In our mock second draft ( http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?21986-2011-PackerRats-community-mock-second-draft ) we decided that rather than a free for all poll, we would try a bracket. Since there are three rounds to go through, we have to move quickly. As such polling for Round 1 close two days from the time of posting. If you're wondering why someone isn't in our bracket, it's probably because someone already picked him, or he got edged out of the top eight.

Let's meet the prospects (All Scouting reports are shamelessly cribbed from Wes Bunting at the excellent National Football Post).

Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami
6'1 1/2", 209 lbs
http://www.bleed-green.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Leonard_Hankerson.jpg

Possesses good size for the position and really seems to be strapped together well. Exhibits long arms and strong, powerful hands in which he uses to pluck just about every football thrown his way. Displays impressive hand/eye coordination when asked to go up and get the ball and looks natural attacking the throw at its highest point. Consistently is able to contort his body and come down with some really tough grabs on all levels of the field while maintaining the concentration to keep his feet in bounds.

Now, possesses average initial explosiveness off the snap and is a bit of a strider. But, has the ability to build speed as he goes and can be tough to cover the further down the field he gets. Knows how to use his big frame to shield defenders from the throw and adjust to the football. However, doesn't exhibit the ability to consistently generate much separation as a route runner vs. man coverage. Does a nice job changing gears, but isn't real explosive in and out of his breaks and has a tendency to start to drift into his routes and gets a bit leggy when trying to change directions. Is more graceful than explosive/sudden at this stage and needs to do a better job setting up defenders, lacks a real understanding/savvy to his game and the route tree. Nevertheless, displays some shiftiness and power to his game with the ball in his hands. Looks natural making a man miss, putting his foot in the ground and accelerating up the field. Displays a dramatic improvement in his ability to slip press and quickly get into his routes as a receiver. Is physical and smooth when asked to work himself free and lose defenders off the line.

Impression: I love his frame, hand/eye coordination and ability to pluck the football. Isn't ever going to generate a ton of separation for himself in the NFL, but could mature into a capable possession-type guy because of his ability to attack the throw.

Kyle Rudolph TE, Notre Dame
6'6 1/8", 259 lbs

http://archive.chicagobreakingsports.com/kylerudolph.jpg

He possesses great overall size for the position, as he looks like an undersized offensive tackle the way his frame is strapped together. And much like an undersized offensive tackle, he's a long-armed kid with natural flexibility in his lower half and can really sit into a three-point stance and fire off the football. Now, he does look a bit uncomfortable at times in pass protection, as he has a tendency to overextend and lose his balance into blocks. He does an impressive job getting off the line quickly as a run blocker, extending his long arms under the chest plate of defenders and sealing at the point of attack. He's the kind of athlete who not only can get his feet around and reach the block inside, but is also very effective on perimeter runs when asked to set the edge (see vs. Southern Cal DE Everson Griffen).

In the pass game he does a nice job working his inside jab step in order to get a clean release off the line, and because of his balance and flexibility he wastes very little motion firing out of his stance and getting into his routes. He does a nice job selling his routes in the pass game, setting up defenders and using his big frame and suddenness to consistently separate vs. man. He's nearly impossible to stop when defenders try to get physical with him because his hands are simply too strong, as he can disengage and separate at the blink of an eye. Plus, he's a better straight-line athlete than his frame would indicate. While he will start to lumber at times trying to run away from a defender in the open field — like any 265-pound receiver — he does have the gear to at least threaten linebackers down the seam. He plays with a mean streak once he gets his hands on the ball and has the power and balance to break a tackle and create after the catch. He's a natural plucker who locates the football quickly out of his breaks and looks natural adjusting to the throw. However, he still needs to learn to do a better job vs. zone coverage at this stage, as he has a tendency at times to drift toward defenders instead of working toward or sitting down in space.

Missed the second half of the season with a hamstring injury and surgery back in October in order to repair it.

Impression: Possesses the size to win as an "on-the-line Y" at the next level in both the run and pass game, and he is a guy who I could see coming in and making an immediate impact from day one and starting in the NFL for a long time.

Bretsky
04-19-2011, 05:14 PM
somebody make some cases for these guys; I don't know which way to go. What is a fair comparion for Rudolph ? He sounds like a Heath Miller...is that fair ? Does he have the speed to stretch the field like Finley or are we talking more a Mark Chumura kind of guy ?

Smidgeon
04-19-2011, 05:43 PM
somebody make some cases for these guys; I don't know which way to go. What is a fair comparion for Rudolph ? He sounds like a Heath Miller...is that fair ? Does he have the speed to stretch the field like Finley or are we talking more a Mark Chumura kind of guy ?

Does any other TE have Finley speed? This is the guy who outraced the Vikings' CBs (I know, not saying much...)

Lurker64
04-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Does any other TE have Finley speed? This is the guy who outraced the Vikings' CBs (I know, not saying much...)

Finley's speed isn't especially amazing, there are TEs on other teams that are faster. Finley's best characteristic is his body control. He adjusts, changes direction, and catches the ball without slowing down at all. His hands are pretty ridiculous too, he catches ball that you throw to him when he's not open. He's going to run away from people because they have to slow down to change direction more than he does. You're not going to get him open deep on a fly route.

red
04-19-2011, 07:14 PM
oh lord, you guys are something else. neither one of these guys will be there at the very end of round 2

Lurker64
04-19-2011, 07:17 PM
oh lord, you guys are something else. neither one of these guys will be there at the very end of round 2

Huh? The poll is to figure out who goes at the end of round 1.

Bretsky
04-19-2011, 07:28 PM

dumbass :)

red
04-19-2011, 07:28 PM
oh fuck i thought you guys already decided on ingram and moved on to the second

i need to stay away from this place more

Lurker64
04-19-2011, 07:33 PM
oh fuck i thought you guys already decided on ingram and moved on to the second

i need to stay away from this place more

Different mock, different format. The second one was fun, it moved faster since it was a free-for-all. No more "waiting around to see if somebody was going to pick."

get louder at lambeau
04-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Quarless is faster than Finley. Rudolph is close to Finley's speed, a little slower, but an inch and a half taller and about 15 pounds bigger. Finley just has the body control of a WR, runs great routes, and has great hands. I wouldn't mind seeing them get Rudolph. He looks like a real beast.

Here are their combine results for comparison-

Finley-
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=57217&draftyear=2008&genpos=TE
Quarless-
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66177&draftyear=2010&genpos=TE
Rudolph-
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profilexnews.php?pyid=84239&draftyear=2011&genpos=TE

Deputy Nutz
04-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Leonard Hankerson reminds me of Jordy and James Jones. Jones leaves for free agency I think the Packers have a replacement. Kyle Rodoloph seems like a nice talent, but isn't needed.

Bretsky
04-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Leonard Hankerson reminds me of Jordy and James Jones. Jones leaves for free agency I think the Packers have a replacement. Kyle Rodoloph seems like a nice talent, but isn't needed.

Ditto; not at all a good value here for the WR and the TE is not needed. If you read about him it sounds like James Jones coming out. There are some WR's who have ST ability that I'd much rather see GB getting later in the draft.

Lurker64
04-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Leonard Hankerson reminds me of Jordy and James Jones.

That's in large part why Hankerson is the token WR in the bracket, he fits the profile of the kind of WR Thompson and McCarthy appear to value (bigger guys with great hands who are solid route runners). He fits the profile better than guys like Cobb or Young.

I still think, in reality, if we draft a WR this year it will be in the mid-rounds. Lots of solid value there for a #4 WR.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Well I had a lengthy reply on why Rudolph should be taken, but I hit shift or cntrl-r and lost it all. Rudolph reminds me a lot of Zach Miller, only quicker, and maybe not as good of hands. Rudolph and Finley in the two TE set would be Chewy and Keith 2.0.

edit:

I guess I just feel like most of you are looking for need when you should be looking for BPA. The Packers are the deepest and youngest team in the league. WR is also a pretty deep position this year. The Packers could concievably grab a talented WR in the 2nd or 3rd with a lot better value.

Lurker64
04-19-2011, 10:27 PM
TPB, the fact that a strong case can be made for Rudolph as the BPA is why he is in this poll, despite the fact that TE is clearly not a need. The only problem I have with it is that it probably means we keep 4 TE, which is not a roster decision I'm really high on.

swede
04-19-2011, 10:42 PM
TPB, the fact that a strong case can be made for Rudolph as the BPA is why he is in this poll, despite the fact that TE is clearly not a need. The only problem I have with it is that it probably means we keep 4 TE, which is not a roster decision I'm really high on.

Hey, with TT there is always a shot at six tight ends and three fullbacks.

Bretsky
04-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Well I had a lengthy reply on why Rudolph should be taken, but I hit shift or cntrl-r and lost it all. Rudolph reminds me a lot of Zach Miller, only quicker, and maybe not as good of hands. Rudolph and Finley in the two TE set would be Chewy and Keith 2.0.

edit:

I guess I just feel like most of you are looking for need when you should be looking for BPA. The Packers are the deepest and youngest team in the league. WR is also a pretty deep position this year. The Packers could concievably grab a talented WR in the 2nd or 3rd with a lot better value.

agree; I had to vote for Rudolph because I'd rather have the top TE of the draft over a WR well down the rankings of a pretty weak class after the first two

swede
04-19-2011, 11:30 PM
agree; I had to vote for Rudolph because I'd rather have the top TE of the draft over a WR well down the rankings of a pretty weak class after the first two
I'm starting to like this idea. I had voted for Rudolph to begin with, but as a real possibility at #32 I think I could like it.

Freak Out
04-20-2011, 06:42 PM
I like the TE Rudolph but he missed a bunch of games IIRC.....he would make the team better though and is a heck of a blocker and good reciever.

get louder at lambeau
04-20-2011, 08:09 PM

If they took Rudolph, why couldn't they just go with a strong group of 3 TEs- Finley, Rudolph, and Quarless? Quality over quantity.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Two TE's worked out pretty well for the Patriots last year, well, until the playoffs anyway.

Lurker64
04-20-2011, 09:46 PM
If they took Rudolph, why couldn't they just go with a strong group of 3 TEs- Finley, Rudolph, and Quarless? Quality over quantity.

I'm pretty sure that they keep Crabtree no matter what. The kid's not much as a downfield receiver, but he's the only real mean physical scrapper in the TE bunch. He's not worthless catching the football, but he's the only TE of our set that you want to run behind. Had two big plays in the superbowl too, one of which was a crushing block to spring Starks and the other of which was "being a sufficient pain in the ass to draw a 15 yard penalty on the final kickoff" which may well have won the game for us.

get louder at lambeau
04-20-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that they keep Crabtree no matter what. The kid's not much as a downfield receiver, but he's the only real mean physical scrapper in the TE bunch. He's not worthless catching the football, but he's the only TE of our set that you want to run behind. Had two big plays in the superbowl too, one of which was a crushing block to spring Starks and the other of which was "being a sufficient pain in the ass to draw a 15 yard penalty on the final kickoff" which may well have won the game for us.

He's not the only TE you want to run behind after they add a 6'6" 265 lb beast in the draft. He has a full 20 pounds on Crabtree. I don't think we'd miss him too horribly, and he has a Super Bowl ring for his efforts.

Smeefers
04-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Wow. Great discussion here. I had no idea who to pick, but I was swayed to Rudolf. I know we have a boatload stuffed with TE's on the packers right now, but it never hurts to add talent. I honestly don't think we're going to go with a skill position in the first round, so this is kind of moot, but if I had one to choose from, I'd like the opportunity to take this Rudolf kid who looks to be a future star.

Tarlam!
04-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Well, I just jinxed Driver's career; my throwback uni got here today and I chose an 80, Driver. It's way too big for me! But, I love it! I got my daughter a #10, but with her name Tarah instead of Flynn, and a #28 Lambert for my boy. We're stoked!

Edit: The reason I say jinx is because the only other jersey I own is a #4....