PDA

View Full Version : NFL NETWORK...FIRST PICK OF THE DAY THEORY

Bretsky
04-19-2011, 05:28 PM
The NFL RADIO Network ON SIRIUS discussed at length today how this year's draft could be different.

They noted in the past how GM's would often go back after each day and strategize for the following day

Since there are more daily breaks, they felt like this year would be really good to own the first pick going into each new day.

They thought more than usual, teams will go back to the drawing boards and offer very good value to trade up into that spot......for instance.........to get somebody they really want....like a QB in round two.

With that being said, perhaps this is the year TT really robs some teams looking to move up before those crappy teams at the top of the draft.

Several teams in the top twelve need QB's.

With no free agency teams may be looking to get their guy....even more so in past years

All of this plays into the strengths of Ted Thompson

It's going to be an exciting draft

Lurker64
04-19-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm almost certain that somebody who didn't get the QB they needed in the first is going to want to trade up into the 26-32 range to jump the other guys who need QBs and/or to catch a guy who falls.

The one question I would have as a Packer Fan, how comfortable would you be trading #32 to Minnesota so they could get a Ryan Mallet or a Christian Ponder?

(To make that work #32 is 590, #43 is 470, #106 is 82, #139 is 36.5, #215 is 5.4 so you throw in #233 to balance it out).

Would you hand Minnesota a quarterback to acquire their second, fourth, fifth, and swap places with them in the seventh? Admittedly leaving Minnesota with no picks between the end of the first day and the sixth round would be funny.

pittstang5
04-19-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm almost certain that somebody who didn't get the QB they needed in the first is going to want to trade up into the 26-32 range to jump the other guys who need QBs and/or to catch a guy who falls.

The one question I would have as a Packer Fan, how comfortable would you be trading #32 to Minnesota so they could get a Ryan Mallet or a Christian Ponder?

(To make that work #32 is 590, #43 is 470, #106 is 82, #139 is 36.5, #215 is 5.4 so you throw in #233 to balance it out).

Would you hand Minnesota a quarterback to acquire their second, fourth, fifth, and swap places with them in the seventh? Admittedly leaving Minnesota with no picks between the end of the first day and the sixth round would be funny.

Never trade within the division.

Bretsky
04-19-2011, 06:00 PM
I absolutely would if it makes sense for the Green Bay Packers long term; of course if I could have robbed the Vikings by getting a 1st round pick for Favre I would have too...but that's me

I'd be more interested in trading down to Buffalo or Cincinati ....we don't have to go too many picks down...........and maybe we could get your guy or Watkins there

If Vegas published odds and let us bet on trade downs, I'd put money New England allows somebody to trade up for their second first rounder. I agree the twenty five to thirty two spots may get a lot of offers.

Unless somebody slips into our lap it would be exciting to consider; wish I could be a fly in that Packer war room this year !

Lurker64
04-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Never trade within the division.

You can trade draft picks in the division, we have done so recently. In 2008 we traded a fifth round pick to Minnesota (with which they selected John David Booty) and received a later fifth and a seventh (which yielded Breno Giacomini and Matt Flynn).

Lurker64
04-19-2011, 06:05 PM
The problem with Green Bay trading down is that teams only have 15 minutes to trade for #32, but they have about 18 hours to trade for #33 and a team desperate to trade up will be going for a QB, and any QB available at #32 will also be available at #33 while the holders of #33 are notorious pick-traders.

The only thing going for us is a team's belief that the price for #32 would be less than the price for #33 since 18 hours of multiple teams bidding will drive up that price.

Bretsky
04-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Yup...what's going for us is team number thirty three can advertise that pick and wait for the highest bidder

IF I really wanted Locker, or Ponder, for instance, you make a deal happen with Teddy and guarantee getting him