PDA

View Full Version : The weirdness that is the Cinncinati Bengals

Guiness
04-19-2011, 10:16 PM
The Bengals were the first team I ever cheered for, and I still keep half an eye on the Bengas, more out of morbid curiosity than anything else.

That's some kind of a strange situation they've got there, with Carson Palmer saying he'll never play for them again, and his brother Jordan trying to pull the team together for a practice. I wonder what sort of conversations those two have?

Lurker64
04-19-2011, 10:24 PM
You know what makes the Packers so good these days? The front office is great at evaluating talent, the coaching staff is great at teaching young players, and the locker room dynamic is tremendous.

You know what makes the Bengals so terrible these days? The front office is terrible at evaluating talent, the coaching staff doesn't know how to teach, and the locker room dynamic is poisonous.

Seriously, the Bengals employ a full-time scouting department of 3 people. Most NFL teams have at least a dozen. They count on their coaches to fill in the slack when it comes to scouting, you know those coaches who are busy coaching the Bengals during the regular season so they can't go watch college football games.

Tarlam!
04-20-2011, 01:47 AM
Seriously, the Bengals employ a full-time scouting department of 3 people.

Wow. That's so backwards. I've tried to find what Carson's beef is on the web, but I haven't had much success. Anybody care to shed some light on what his issues with the club are?

Freak Out
04-20-2011, 02:03 AM
The issue is that they are the Bengals.

Bossman641
04-20-2011, 10:59 AM
The issue is that they are the Bungles.

Fixed

retailguy
04-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Wow. That's so backwards. I've tried to find what Carson's beef is on the web, but I haven't had much success. Anybody care to shed some light on what his issues with the club are?

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/sports/palmer-and-agent-remain-incommunicado-actions-affirm-plan

Palmer and agent remain incommunicado; actions affirm plan

Posted: 02/10/2011

By: Dennis Janson

CINCINNATI - With the confirmation that Carson Palmer's house will indeed soon be on the market, speculation has begun about the deeper reasons behind Palmer's perhaps imminent departure from Cincinnati.

According to my sources, Palmer is unimpressed with new offensive coordinator Jay Gruden. For that matter Carson Palmer tells Channel 9 sports sources he had no issues with Bob Bratkowski, his OC for seven seasons. He contends it is not play-calling but the Bengals' culture that’s turned football into drudgery for him.

We continue to get Palmer's thoughts through intermediaries as he and agent David Dunn aren't returning our calls. He has been in touch with representatives of Comey-Shepherd real estate, purveyors of high end properties, to start the process of selling his Indian Hill home.

Bengals.com acknowledges this latest development, but reports that regardless, "it appears to have no impact on his trade request. They have no plans to trade him or explore a trade and they are hoping for reconciliation."

Adding to on-field frustrations, Carson's wife is disenchanted with Cincinnati itself. Knuckleheads throwing trash on their property cemented her feelings, I'm told. So much so she returned to California well before the season was over.

And as the owner of another professional sports team in town once said, "If momma ain't happy, nobody's happy."

Guiness
04-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Yup, that's about the size of it Retail.

I also read that it was the Bengal's culture that just made it no more fun for him. And with the money he's got in the bank, why would he do something that wasn't fun?

Reminds me a bit of Barry Sanders. No one really blamed him for just up and leaving Detroit.

get louder at lambeau
04-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Reminds me a bit of Barry Sanders. No one really blamed him for just up and leaving Detroit.

He will end up somewhere between Sanders and Jake Plummer in the history books if he retires now.

RashanGary
04-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Rarely do I agree with this, but in this case, the Bengals do not care about winning. It's BS.

Tarlam!
04-20-2011, 01:50 PM
the Bengals do not care about winning. It's BS.

I find it difficult to believe that any team doesn't care about winning. For a long time, we watched the Ford family failures and finally, they awoke. You could argue Cinci isn't doing the right things to win. That I could buy into.

Smeefers
04-20-2011, 02:17 PM
I find it difficult to believe that any team doesn't care about winning. For a long time, we watched the Ford family failures and finally, they awoke. You could argue Cinci isn't doing the right things to win. That I could buy into.

With the Lions, they were just putting their faith in the wrong people. I firmly believe they thought Millen was the guy to bring them back to glory. They were still trying. The Bengals, well, c'mon. Three full time scouts? Really? The guys they have on their roster scream "I don't give a shit." If they had any kind of winning attitude there, they'd probably actually be a half way decent team.

RashanGary
04-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Palmer is a talented QB and was a good soldier for 8 or however many years. Put him on the Chiefs and I think you're looking at a winner. Cassel sucks.

Tony Oday
04-20-2011, 03:03 PM
The Bengals three guys only look over reports from a hired outside source that scouts for Cleveland and Cinn...this is second hand knowledge when I worked for the Minnesota Wild and a guy in the front office used to work on the business side of the Bengals.

Lurker64
04-20-2011, 03:15 PM
The Bengals three guys only look over reports from a hired outside source that scouts for Cleveland and Cinn...this is second hand knowledge when I worked for the Minnesota Wild and a guy in the front office used to work on the business side of the Bengals.

The fact that both teams farm out their scouting to that extent probably has something to do with the perennial futility of both of those teams.

sharpe1027
04-20-2011, 03:30 PM

How much different is that from what posters do on this site every day? There's plenty of draft reports available.

RashanGary
04-20-2011, 04:38 PM
The Bengals were the first team I ever cheered for, and I still keep half an eye on the Bengas, more out of morbid curiosity than anything else.

That's some kind of a strange situation they've got there, with Carson Palmer saying he'll never play for them again, and his brother Jordan trying to pull the team together for a practice. I wonder what sort of conversations those two have?

http://bp1.blogger.com/_iKcZ3qcCmyo/SHEm3EMOyjI/AAAAAAAAIXQ/rjsczngyjLU/s400/WeirdNews1.JPG

RashanGary
04-20-2011, 04:39 PM
How much different is that from what posters do on this site every day? There's plenty of draft reports available.

We should have a contest. Those of us who are draft nuts should pick the first and 2nd round picks for the Bengals and see if our picks turn out better than their picks.

swede
04-20-2011, 04:40 PM

Plus you can watch TV on draft day and find out who Mel Kiper's Best Left on the Board guys are during the last few rounds. Saves a lot of air fare and hotel costs getting your scouts to games between Hillsdale and Wossamatta U.

RashanGary
04-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Oh come on Carson, you don't want to come back after this one little accident?

http://pardonmybias.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/a_palmer_195.jpg

http://factotem.org/library/images/Carson-Palmer/Palmer-injury-photo-by-Lyons.jpeg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_E2Wa1M6x1fI/S8myNfDRnsI/AAAAAAAAEUU/V9z1XhZ1ERA/s400/snake%20bite%20strange%20bizarre%20face%20weird.jp g

We have three scouts, Carson. Our three scouts can find more talent to protect you than their 12 scouts can find guys to kill you. We promise.

On a side note, look at that fucking block. Makes you appreciate Colledge :)

Fritz
04-21-2011, 07:04 AM
Three scouts, to save the team money.

You get what you pay for.

VermontPackFan
04-21-2011, 07:17 AM
He will end up somewhere between Sanders and Jake Plummer in the history books if he retires now.

Palmer wont be in the same book w/Sanders, except for a 2-3 year span he was pretty insignificant...

And speaking of Plummer, anyone else read the article in Sports Illustrated about him living life w/o football in Idaho, playing handball, etc.? Pretty good article and I came away with a new found respect for Jake.

Guiness
04-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Palmer wont be in the same book w/Sanders, except for a 2-3 year span he was pretty insignificant...

And speaking of Plummer, anyone else read the article in Sports Illustrated about him living life w/o football in Idaho, playing handball, etc.? Pretty good article and I came away with a new found respect for Jake.

I certainly wasn't comparing Palmer to Sanders in the way of talent, etc. Certainly, Plummer is a more apt comparison.

I meant in the way the SI article you discussed referenced. Guys who played the game at a high level, became disenchanted, and just walked away. Nothing necessarily honourable about it - they all had millions to fall back on - they just all knew they didn't want to play anymore, and admitted it to themselves. There's not a whole bunch of guys who've done that.

Sanders and Plummer were asked to come back. Palmer certainly will be as well.

VermontPackFan
04-21-2011, 12:47 PM
I certainly wasn't comparing Palmer to Sanders in the way of talent, etc. Certainly, Plummer is a more apt comparison.

I meant in the way the SI article you discussed referenced. Guys who played the game at a high level, became disenchanted, and just walked away. Nothing necessarily honourable about it - they all had millions to fall back on - they just all knew they didn't want to play anymore, and admitted it to themselves. There's not a whole bunch of guys who've done that.

Sanders and Plummer were asked to come back. Palmer certainly will be as well.

Got it and good point. I missed that angle in your original post...

th87
04-22-2011, 01:08 AM
They're the Milwaukee Bucks of the NFL.

swede
04-22-2011, 09:05 AM

Ouch!

Pugger
04-22-2011, 11:06 AM
If I were Palmer I'd want out of Cincy too. :eek:

sharpe1027
04-22-2011, 03:46 PM

Even the lowly Bucks aren't the bad. They've won a championship and have had twice as many winning seasons in the same amount of time as the Bungles.

swede
04-22-2011, 03:57 PM
The Bengals took Archie Griffin and turned him into "Who's Archie Griffin?"