PDA

View Full Version : A Plethora of Riches

Smidgeon
04-20-2011, 10:17 AM
So I was thinking about this because ESPN did their Power Rankings by position piece. And I got to thinking. Green Bay has someone on almost every list. So I thought I'd put my generic rankings together and find out where Green Bay ranks by position.

Note: I ranking them based on tiers. For example, Rodgers really could be the best QB in the NFL, but there isn't much separating him from Brady or Manning or Brees. So I put him in the Top 4. I didn't give anyone better than a "Top 3" as I don't know every position well enough to rank them into tiers.

TE Top 3 Finley
G Top 3 Sitton
OLB Top 3 Matthews
S Top 3 Collins
QB Top 4 Rodgers
NT Top 4 Raji
WR Top 5 Jennings
CB Top 5 Williams
CB Top 5 Woodson
C Top 10 Wells
RB Top 15 Grant
T Top 15 Clifton
ILB Top 15 Hawk/Bishop
DE Top 15 Pickett
FB Top 40 (Whomever)

RashanGary
04-20-2011, 10:38 AM
What was their record last year? 10-6. Barely made the playoffs. That's what the Packer are, no more, no less. Stop being a homer.

But if you want to play this silly context game, sure it looks like they're talented all across the board and young at every important position. I guess you can start making educated guesses off that kind of stuff.

Smidgeon
04-20-2011, 11:22 AM
What was their record last year? 10-6. Barely made the playoffs. That's what the Packer are, no more, no less. Stop being a homer.

But if you want to play this silly context game, sure it looks like they're talented all across the board and young at every important position. I guess you can start making educated guesses off that kind of stuff.

Super Bowl winners. Stop being a Pessimist.

RashanGary
04-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Super Bowl winners. Stop being a Pessimist.

I was being very sarcastic :) For years many of us have been saying something special was being brewed. We were shown the 4-12/8-8/13-3/6-10/11-5 records and told, no, there is not something special brewing. We are overrating our talent and the records were the only meaningful data. This information would have been met with stark resistance a year or two ago, but even a year or two ago, these Packers were on track to the greatness we witnessed at teh end of 2010.

I like the post a lot. The roster is more the reality than the record. Records are influenced by all sorts of things, including but not limited to, luck. The roster is something that you can see grow. You can see youth and project improvement. You can see key positions locked down by young 20-somethings. You can see a ton of cap room. Looking at the players is more important than looking at the record IMO. We were literally one play away from not making the playoffs. Had luck not gone our way would this roster be any less than it is today?

The Packers are great and this is a great thread, but it's something a few of us have been trying to communicate for a few years now. Anything can happen going forward, but clearly this team has the make up of a dynasty. Whether that ends up reality is yet to be seen, but we have something special right now, and it's young. Maybe that's an opinion, not a fact, but I'd call it glaringly obvious.

What happens with our young, loaded roster is why we watch the games and why 2011 is a great year to be a Packer fan.

I'd say we have a coinflips chance to win another SB with Aaron Rodgers over the next few years and a darn decent chance at winning 2. We have chance to win zero too, but we have the loaded roster to be in the race every year.

Guiness
04-20-2011, 12:43 PM
I was being very sarcastic :) For years many of us have been saying something special was being brewed. We were shown the 4-12/8-8/13-3/6-10/11-5 records and told, no, there is not something special brewing. We are overrating our talent and the records were the only meaningful data. This information would have been met with stark resistance a year or two ago, but even a year or two ago, these Packers were on track to the greatness we witnessed at teh end of 2010.

I like the post a lot. The roster is more the reality than the record. Records are influenced by all sorts of things, including but not limited to, luck. The roster is something that you can see grow. You can see youth and project improvement. You can see key positions locked down by young 20-somethings. You can see a ton of cap room. Looking at the players is more important than looking at the record IMO. We were literally one play away from not making the playoffs. Had luck not gone our way would this roster be any less than it is today?

The Packers are great and this is a great thread, but it's something a few of us have been trying to communicate for a few years now. Anything can happen going forward, but clearly this team has the make up of a dynasty. Whether that ends up reality is yet to be seen, but we have something special right now, and it's young. Maybe that's an opinion, not a fact, but I'd call it glaringly obvious.

What happens with our young, loaded roster is why we watch the games and why 2011 is a great year to be a Packer fan.

I'd say we have a coinflips chance to win another SB with Aaron Rodgers over the next few years and a darn decent chance at winning 2. We have chance to win zero too, but we have the loaded roster to be in the race every year.

I'm being pessimistic, and think you're wrong. Very, very wrong.

2011 will not be a good year to be a football fan, let along a Packer fan. What are these games you speak of?

I, for one, look forward to our new soccer overlords :drma:

VermontPackFan
04-21-2011, 07:22 AM
What are these games you speak of? I, for one, look forward to our new soccer overlords :drma:

lol...

DonHutson
04-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Not only that, but they're top 5 at most of the key positions. Arguably, the most important are QB, pass rusher, LT, shut down CB, and a DL who can push the pocket and clog the running game.

They have young top 5 studs at all of those spots except LT (and maybe Bulaga can become that eventually). That should be a core group they can keep together for awhile. Guys like Sitton, Finley, and Collins are nice to have, but as everybody's contracts keep getting bigger they may need to be expendable at some point.

Smidgeon
04-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Not only that, but they're top 5 at most of the key positions. Arguably, the most important are QB, pass rusher, LT, shut down CB, and a DL who can push the pocket and clog the running game.

They have young top 5 studs at all of those spots except LT (and maybe Bulaga can become that eventually). That should be a core group they can keep together for awhile. Guys like Sitton, Finley, and Collins are nice to have, but as everybody's contracts keep getting bigger they may need to be expendable at some point.

I would argue that in this system, the FS isn't quite as expendable as the TE or OL. Collins' range allows them to leave him as the deep safety and just do his thing. Luckily it isn't quite as high paying of a position...