PDA

View Full Version : Predict the pick

packrulz
04-21-2011, 05:25 AM
The object of this game is to predict who TT will select in the first round of the draft, which has proven difficult in the past. You get 5 guesses.
1. Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
2. Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA
3. Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
4. Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
5. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

DonHutson
04-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Cam Heyward
Muhammad Wilkerson
Danny Watkins
Mark Ingram
Kyle Rudolph

Hopefully a run on QB's will push one of the big DE's down. Ingram or Rudolph might fit the bill as BPA's regardless of position. If I could only pick one, I might say Watkins.

red
04-22-2011, 05:09 PM
honestly, this is almost impossible to know until the team that picks right before us picks

i'm guessing someone that we think should go in the 1st 10 or 15 falls to us and we get him, like bulaga did last year. most of us wanted him, none of us thought he would still be there when we picked

packrulz
04-23-2011, 07:53 AM
I've done some research on Clayborn's palsy, he's had it his whole life, I don't think it's a big deal. He suffers from Erb's Palsy, an on-again, off-again paralysis of the upper arm that almost prevented him from ever playing contact sports. Clayborn has played with the condition for years without any obvious side effects. As far as I know, one arm is slightly shorter than the other, and flare-ups are pretty rare.

Former Iowa defensive end Adrian Clayborn and former Hawkeye quarterback Ricky Stanzi both improved their stock for the NFL draft by testing well at Iowa’s Pro Day, according to longtime NFL talent scout Gil Brandt, who attended Iowa’s Pro Day event on Monday.

“No Hawkeye caught the attention of pro scouts more than defensive end Adrian Clayborn, who looked really good in his workout in front of coaches from Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Arizona and Cincinnati,” Brandt wrote on his blog.

Clayborn did a vertical jump of 35-1/2 inches and a broad jump of 9-6 feet, according to Brandt. He also recorded a time of 7.08 seconds in the short shuttle and did 17 bench-press repetitions of 225 pounds.

“The number of lifts could be a slight concern because Clayborn is not as strong as most defensive ends,” Brandt said. “But he is very explosive. He’s got a great first move, which is why he will be a top-20 pick.”

Clayborn, a native of St. Louis, was a three-year starter at Iowa and earned all-America honors as a senior. He was measured at 6-foot-3 1/8 inches and weighed 278 pounds.

Fritz
04-23-2011, 07:55 AM
1. Derrick Sherrod
2. Cam Heyward
3. Justin Houston
4. Some tight end from Wiley State Truck Driving College and Beauty School in Saskatchewan.

RashanGary
04-23-2011, 08:19 AM
James Carpenter
Derek Sherrod
Danny Watkins
Brooks Reed
Mikel Leshoure

pack4to84
04-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Derek Sherrod
Torrey Smith
Mark Ingram
Ryan Williams
Brooks Reed

Bretsky
04-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Ingram
Reed
Sherrod
Heyward
Wilkerson

Tarlam!
04-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Watkins. TT was fine picky Brady Poppinga, also older coming in.

If he's there at #32, I see TT trading back to between 35 and 38. He'd still be there if he's dropped already.

He'll replace College inside. He'll bring maturity and solidify the inside for at least 10 years. I like it, TT.

DonHutson
04-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Watkins age doesn't bother me all that much either. I would expect a 5 or 6 year window where Rodgers, Matthews, Raji, Williams, are at their prime. If Watkins can start from day one and be a beast for through that 5 or 6 year window, that's great! There's always going to be some downside with anyone available at #32.

In this case, the age represents a guy who's been around and shouldn't be taking the NFL thing for granted. I'll take a first rounder with a chip on his shoulder over a complacent douche any day.

get louder at lambeau
04-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Watkins. TT was fine picky Brady Poppinga, also older coming in.

If he's there at #32, I see TT trading back to between 35 and 38. He'd still be there if he's dropped already.

He'll replace College inside. He'll bring maturity and solidify the inside for at least 10 years. I like it, TT.

I don't understand this line of thinking. Most OL don't play 10 years even if they come out at 22. Why do you think a 26 year old will be around so long? Is he that great of a prospect?

Tarlam!
04-23-2011, 12:37 PM
I don't understand this line of thinking. Most OL don't play 10 years even if they come out at 22. Why do you think a 26 year old will be around so long? Is he that great of a prospect?

Well, you're prolly right, but I think he'll have a long career, because he's already a man in a man's body. He has little mileage on that body. No knee issues etc. And, I believe he's strong. He won't take the battery as badly as, say, College when he was much smaller than he is today.

I think Sitton will have a long career, too!

RashanGary
04-23-2011, 11:13 PM
I want to trade out Mikel Leshoure for Ryan Williams.

That is my final answer.

Lurker64
04-23-2011, 11:44 PM

Don't most OL not play 10 years because most OL are guys like Junius Coston who have no business playing professional football? I don't recall a lot of guys retiring before 30 because they're worn down. A lot of guys just go into forced retirement because they suck.

I would think age matters a whole lot less than just wear and tear. Considering that he has only played football for three years, and that Hockey puts different strains on the body than football, he's probably got a lot of tread left.

swede
04-24-2011, 07:45 AM
Don't most OL not play 10 years because most OL are guys like Junius Coston who have no business playing professional football? I don't recall a lot of guys retiring before 30 because they're worn down. A lot of guys just go into forced retirement because they suck.

Good point. Other than being old and Canadian the guy seems like a good football player and a good team mate.

I would think age matters a whole lot less than just wear and tear. Considering that he has only played football for three years, and that Hockey puts different strains on the body than football, he's probably got a lot of tread left.

Just not a lot of teeth.

get louder at lambeau
04-24-2011, 11:18 AM

I saw mention of him playing rugby before football too, for whatever that's worth. I don't think you can disregard age even if he was just playing Nerf ping pong before football. The body still ages and declines over time no matter what. It's more than just the Junius Costons who don't make it ten years in the NFL. Age catches up with the best of us eventually.

He's not so old that it's a total deal killer, but he's old enough that it should be taken into consideration. Just being a "guard only" makes it unlikely that a prospect is worth a first round pick in the first place. A lot of first rounds have zero guards in them. He better be an absolutely elite guard prospect to overlook his age and position and take him in the first round. Is he? I honestly don't know. Is he the next Logan Mankins or Steve Hutchinson?

Tarlam!
04-24-2011, 01:01 PM
He better be an absolutely elite guard prospect to overlook his age and position and take him in the first round. Is he? I honestly don't know. Is he the next Logan Mankins or Steve Hutchinson?

Tell ya what, I have no idea either. I'm just guessing - we all are. Except for the Hawk pick, we are all kept guessing when it comes to TT's draft. Should TT actually take Watkins, that's good enough for me. If he's there at #32 and passes on him, well, that's also good enough for me!

TennesseePackerBacker
04-24-2011, 02:10 PM
1. Trade down
2. Heyward
3. Akeem Ayers
4. Carpenter
5. Trade up (!)

retailguy
04-24-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm preparing to welcome 9 guys to the team of which I have never heard of at least 7 of them. I am also preparing to hear that 5 of those unnamed 7 will be in contention for 'rookie of the year'. I won't be surprised if we trade down, and I won't be surprised if we trade up. I won't be surprised if we draft a WR, nor a linebacker. I will be surprised if we resign James Jones and Brandon Jackson.

I believe that all 9 draft choices will make the roster, and I can't fathom who will be released to make room for them.

VermontPackFan
04-24-2011, 03:24 PM
1. James Carpenter
2. Some obscure OT off everyone elses radar who TT and crew have been watching since sophmore year in high school
3. Derick Sherrod (not likely to be there)
4. Cam Heyward (not likely to be there)
5. The dude and are on the same page...Someone projected to be taken early will be in a free fall, suprisingly avaliable to us @ #32, Bowers???????

packrulz
04-29-2011, 04:28 AM
Most of us had Sherrod on our radar, nice pick! Got to protect our franchise QB!

Tarlam!
04-29-2011, 07:18 AM
Most of us had Sherrod on our radar, nice pick! Got to protect our franchise QB!

:wow:

You, Packrulz, can take a :thank:

He might have been on our radar, but you nailed it! Well done!!