PDA

View Full Version : Second Draft Second Round: 2(B) (#2) Ijalana vs. (#5) Watkins

Lurker64
04-21-2011, 04:41 PM
In our mock second draft ( http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?21986-2011-PackerRats-community-mock-second-draft ) we decided that rather than a free for all poll, we would try a bracket. Since there are two more rounds to go through, we have to move quickly. As such voting for this draft will close in three days.

Let's meet the prospects (All Scouting reports are shamelessly cribbed from Wes Bunting at the excellent National Football Post).

Ben Ijalana OT, Villanova
6'3 5/8", 317 lbs.
http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk479/Bl4ckRa1n/Ben-Ijalana1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws4C2Mp7SH0

A gifted athlete for his size who displays good range off the edge in pass protection and has the kind of athleticism needed to play on the left side in the NFL. Does a nice job quickly changing directions and redirecting in space, displays a lateral burst when asked to mirror one-on-one and exhibits the range to reach the corner. Is still raw with his footwork and too often stands upright initially off the snap and will get overextended on his kick-slide. However, he's a long-armed kid who sticks to blocks well once he gets a hold of defenders and is a really heavy-handed kid. Possesses a good first step off the snap and is able to consistently get around defenders and seal, and has improved getting off the snap count on time as a senior.

Has really improved his overall pad level as a run blocker as a senior. Does a much better job sitting into his stance, firing off the football low, extending his arms and keeping his feet under him through contact. A downright dominant in-line guy at the I-AA level who can routinely get under defenders, lock out and drive linemen off the ball. Is also very coordinated on the move, possesses good range when asked to pull, step and seal quickly inside and does a great job breaking down and eliminating a defender at the second level.

Impression: A downright dominant small-school blocker with a great physical/athletic skill set. Needs to continue to improve his footwork on his kick-slide, but he's a gifted enough athlete to pick that up quickly. The biggest question for Ijalana is, where does he best fit? He's long enough to play left tackle and physical enough to play guard. Either way he's one of the better offensive line prospects at this stage and in my view you let him get comfortable at guard in year one and see if he can make the move to left tackle in year two.

Danny Watkins, OT, Baylor
6'3 3/8", 310 lbs.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nUiaNvoZsR4/TC4HjGZIAgI/AAAAAAAAAsQ/nent6xK0-FY/s400/Baylor+Danny+Watkins.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM735wF3Yp0

A 26-year-old Canadian who has a background playing hockey and is a former firefighter. Made the move to football only three years ago and has drastically improved his game during that time period. Has started two years in a row on the blindside at Baylor and has matured into one of the most impressive offensive linemen in the country in a very short amount of time. Possesses a compact build and seems to lack ideal length. However, exhibits good body control and a strong lower half when asked to get his feet around the target and anchor defensive ends away from the inside run. Plays with natural leverage in the run game, has the ability to sink his hips, maintain balance and create a bit of a jolt on contact. Gets his hands a bit too low at times, but works his feet hard, sticks to blocks and can win at the point of attack as an in-line guy or when asked to reach block. And although he isn't real long armed, exhibits a quick punch, allowing him to control blocks initially on contact in the run game.

Has really improved his pad level as well in the pass game, consistently is able to sit into his base on his kick slide, takes compact, balanced steps off the edge and possesses good range vs. speed off the edge. Exhibits good change-of-direction skills to quickly redirect and mirror in tighter quarters. At times will get a bit overextended, but has the fluidity and body control to quickly catch himself, make up for a false step and mirror in space. Doesn't ever really give up much penetration in the pass game and has the balance, body control, range and flexibility to consistently mirror and hold his own in space. Was one of the best offensive tackles I saw in college football all season.

Impression: If he were two inches taller and three years younger the guy is a first-round pick. However, I worry about his length as a left tackle and there is a concern about his age. However, he is a mature kid whose best football is still ahead of him and I think he's a guy who can come in and start from day one as a guard in the NFL and will give a team four-to-six very good years as a starting NFL guard.

red
04-21-2011, 05:37 PM
this is a tough one, both these guys are probably guards in the nfl and either would be a nice upgrade over colledge in a year or two

watkins might be the better player now, but he's older. both are raw and need work

for me this might be a coin flip. either one would be nice. but i think for either one you could trade down a bit and still get

Bretsky
04-21-2011, 05:53 PM
EZ choice here IMO

Freak Out
04-21-2011, 05:56 PM
I voted for Ijalana........I just think we need some color on the OL again.

get louder at lambeau
04-21-2011, 06:27 PM
I just have a lot of trouble thinking about taking a 26 year old guard in the first round. Guards aren't usually first round picks to start with, much less 26 year old guards. In the last three drafts combined, there has only been one guy taken in the first round listed as a guard.

Impression: If he were two inches taller and three years younger the guy is a first-round pick.

Guiness
04-22-2011, 12:38 AM
Picking Ijalana, and crossing my fingers that Watkins is there at the end of round 2...but I don't think so.

Bretsky
04-22-2011, 06:44 AM
Pretty sure Watkins will be nabbed in the top 50; haven't seen anything predicting lower than that and some even have him slipping into round one. I watched a mock draft on NFL Network with Brian Baldinger and Charles Davis last night. I wish those guys were the GM's. We had a bunch of guys already picked to choose from that even included Nate Solder.

P.S...............They picked Mikal Leshoure for Green Bay

swede
04-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Pretty sure Watkins will be nabbed in the top 50; haven't seen anything predicting lower than that and some even have him slipping into round one. I watched a mock draft on NFL Network with Brian Baldinger and Charles Davis last night. I wish those guys were the GM's. We had a bunch of guys already picked to choose from that even included Nate Solder.

P.S...............They picked Mikal Leshoure for Green Bay

I saw that also. Their picks pushed a lot of players to us.

Tarlam!
04-22-2011, 09:09 AM
I would be surprised if TT drafts RB @ #32. But, I'm always surprised at his 1st round picks!! :)

Guiness
04-22-2011, 12:38 PM
I saw that also. Their picks pushed a lot of players to us.

Cool! Maybe Detroit will hire one of them.

swede
04-22-2011, 12:41 PM
I voted for Ijalana........I just think we need some color on the OL again.

I think your impassioned speech for affirmative action has won the day.