PDA

View Full Version : Not the Carimi of the crop?

swede
04-22-2011, 11:41 PM
I hadn't heard people disparage Carimi for anything other than the crime of not being quite as good as Joe Thomas until I read this article. Suddenly he sounds like Ross Verba.

"He thinks he's a (expletive) Pro Bowler before he gets in the league," another personnel executive said. "It really bothers me. It affects my judgment. For me, he ain't in the mix. I think he will be a successful left tackle, but I think he will be a diva and a pain in the (expletive)."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/120522519.html

Lurker64
04-23-2011, 12:10 AM
This year is a pretty weak crop of OTs. The Badger faithful may not want to believe it, but Bulaga last year grades out as a lot better prospect than Carimi, not quite as big but his feet are quicker, his technique is better, he plays with more functional strength, and you're not going to find a better kid.

But it's not as though any of the other highly rated OTs this year are hot stuff anyway. Castonzo isn't very strong, Tyron Smith is incredibly raw, Nate Solder is weak and too tall, Carimi and Sherrod are probably right tackles and not greatly above average at taht. If we rated the top 5 OTs from this year and the top 5 OTs from last year as prospects, the only player from this year who should be rated before any of the first round (+pick #33, so Williams, Okung, Davis, Bulaga, and Saffold) tackles from last year would be Tyron Smith on potential alone since guys with his frame and athleticism are extremely rare.

I wouldn't be sad if Carimi fell to us, but there are people who are suggesting he'll be way overdrafted. The earliest I would feel okay about taking Carimi would be #21 to KC, since they need a right tackle pretty badly.

packrulz
04-23-2011, 07:40 AM
Honestly, I think some scouts will bash a guy hoping he will slip to them. They try so hard to find something negative, and it's really pretty vague. I think Gabe will be drafted in the top 20.

Fritz
04-23-2011, 07:48 AM
I dunno. Some of those scouts really Carimed him.

Bretsky
04-23-2011, 08:27 AM
This year is a pretty weak crop of OTs. The Badger faithful may not want to believe it, but Bulaga last year grades out as a lot better prospect than Carimi, not quite as big but his feet are quicker, his technique is better, he plays with more functional strength, and you're not going to find a better kid.

But it's not as though any of the other highly rated OTs this year are hot stuff anyway. Castonzo isn't very strong, Tyron Smith is incredibly raw, Nate Solder is weak and too tall, Carimi and Sherrod are probably right tackles and not greatly above average at taht. If we rated the top 5 OTs from this year and the top 5 OTs from last year as prospects, the only player from this year who should be rated before any of the first round (+pick #33, so Williams, Okung, Davis, Bulaga, and Saffold) tackles from last year would be Tyron Smith on potential alone since guys with his frame and athleticism are extremely rare.

I wouldn't be sad if Carimi fell to us, but there are people who are suggesting he'll be way overdrafted. The earliest I would feel okay about taking Carimi would be #21 to KC, since they need a right tackle pretty badly.

I had noted a couple weeks ago Charlie Casserly on the NFL Network grades the top 5 OT's from last yr and the top 5 OT's from this year. All of last year's OT's graded out higher. Buluga graded out slightly higher than Carimi but not much. They seem to be about the same player.

Bretsky
04-23-2011, 08:29 AM

I think Carimi goes 21 to KC, or to Indy or Phily.

I honestly hope he's not the one who drops. Highly doubt he goes by da Bears

Mike Tice has a son who plays football for the UW Madison and Tice loves Carimi.

I think the worst case is Bears at #29, and that would be my Badger Fan Nightmare seeing him go to da Bears.

Tarlam!
04-23-2011, 09:44 AM
I think the worst case is Bears at #29, and that would be my Badger Fan Nightmare seeing him go to da Bears.

Unless he's the prima donna in making that he's now being reported to be! Then, I say, couldn't happen to a nicer club!

TT won't daft a tumor, IMO. He went borderline with Finley - let's see how that pans out! But Finley wasn't beating his breast when he was drafted.

I don't know enough about him to say, but if these scouting reports are true, I hope he's long gone by #32. The Packers have a great locker room right now.

get louder at lambeau
04-23-2011, 10:31 AM
If we rated the top 5 OTs from this year and the top 5 OTs from last year as prospects, the only player from this year who should be rated before any of the first round (+pick #33, so Williams, Okung, Davis, Bulaga, and Saffold) tackles from last year would be Tyron Smith on potential alone since guys with his frame and athleticism are extremely rare.

Wasn't Bruce Campbell that guy last year? Projected as a possible top 10 pick, ended up going in the 4th round.

Lurker64
04-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Wasn't Bruce Campbell that guy last year? Projected as a possible top 10 pick, ended up going in the 4th round.

The key difference is that while Campbell's tape was awful, Smith's was merely "okay" to "pretty good".

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2011, 05:16 PM
I think being in Wisconsin and following the Badger I would have gotten wind if Carimi had an attitude, I know there were articles about Moffitt's work ethic as a junior and John Clays work ethic. I never heard anything about Carimi's attitude other than he was a great leader, and heck of a hard worker.