PDA

View Full Version : TT, OL, and the 3-Cone Drill.

Lurker64
04-23-2011, 01:04 AM
Since coming to Green Bay, Ted Thompson has drafted 12 offensive linemen in his six drafts. A curious commonality arises when you look at the combine statistics of each of these players.

Junius Coston 7.93 cone, 4.64 shuttle
Will Whittacker 7.90 cone, 4.75 shuttle

Daryn Colledge 7.46 cone, 4.6 shuttle
Jason Spitz 7.82 cone, 4.56 shuttle
Tony Moll N/A

Allen Barbre 7.40 cone, 4.63 shuttle

Josh Sitton 7.55 cone, 4.50 shuttle
Breno Giacomini 7.56 cone, 4.63 shuttle

T.J. Lang no cone, 4.42 shuttle
Jamon Meredith 8.01 cone, 4.82 shuttle

Bryan Bulaga 7.70 cone, 4.75 shuttle
Marshall Newhouse 7.40 cone, 4.6 shuttle

Looking at this, it seems that the OL prospects that TT drafts fall into three categories:
1)Need picks at C/G (Spitz, Coston, Whitticker),
2)Guys who fall from projections (Bulaga, Meredith),
3)Guys with a good 3-cone (<7.65) and/or good shuttles (<4.65).

Excepting Moll, who I strongly suspect would fall into the latter category being a converted TE, literally everybody TT has drafted on the OL falls into one of these categories and we can all pretty much agree that Whitticker, Coston, and Meredith were bad picks that TT would admit were mistakes.

So if we're looking at TT OL, we're looking at guys with good cones and/or good shuttles.

Guys with better than a 7.65 cone at the combine:

OT group
David Arkin, Missouri State (7.60)
Anthony Castonzo, Boston College (7.25)
Daniel Kilgore, Appalachian State (7.59)
Jerriel King, South Carolina (7.60)
Mike Perston, Montana State (7.44)
Derrick Sherrod, Mississippi State (7.43)
Nate Solder, Colorado (7.44)
Danny Watkins, Baylor (7.61)

OG group
Justin Boren, Ohio State (7.57)
Andrew Jackson, Fresno State (7.55)
Julian Vandervelde, Iowa (7.46)

C group
Ryan Bartholomew, Syracuse (7.62)
Brandon Fusco, Slippery Rock (7.29)
Jason Kelce, Cincinnati (7.22)
Zack Williams, Washington State (7.54)
Stefan Wisniewski, Penn State (7.51)

Guys with better than a 4.65 shuttle at the combine:

OT group
David Arkin, Missouri State (4.63)
Clint Boling, Georgia (4.64)
Anthony Castonzo, BC (4.40)
Derrick Sherrod, Mississippi State (4.63)
Nate Solder, Colorado (4.34)
Danny Watkins, Baylor (4.62)

OG group
John Moffit, Wisconsin (4.53)
Stephen Schilling, Michigan (4.62)
Julian Vandervelde, Iowa (4.59)

C Group
Ryan Bartholomew, Syracuse (4.62)
Brandon Fusco, Slippery Rock (4.43)
Jason Kelce, Cincinnati (4.14)
Alex Linnerkohl, Oregon State (4.62)
Zack Williams, Washington State (4.62)
Stefan Wisniewski, Penn State (4.63)

Everybody else either didn't work out at the combine due to injury(e.g. Ben Ijalana, Tyron Smith) or weren't invited (copious small school guys).

So since we don't have serious needs at any of the OL positions, it's unlikely that we reach for a Coston, Spitz, or Whitticker. TT isn't above taking a slower guy who falls precipitously, and we can't rule out anybody having that happen to him. But odds are that anybody who TT takes on the OL is either a smaller school prospect who passes the <7.65/<4.65 test or was named above.

So the guys to look hard at are the guys who were on both lists, namely: Arkin, Castonzo, Sherrod, Solder, Watkins, Vandervelde, Bartholomew, Fusco, Kelce, Williams, Wisniewski, as well as any small school guys who pass the <7.65/<4.65 test (If you've been looking at any, kindly post them here). Don't just look at first and second round prospects either, TT usually takes an OL on the last day so someone like Fusco or Vandervelde late seems entirely likely.

Anybody with a 3-cone worse than 7.65 and a shuttle worse than 4.65 it's probably worth taking a step back and asking whether TT would really take that guy. If he falls (a la Bulaga or Meredith) he probably would, but it's a function of how far he falls. Bulaga wasn't significantly worse than the apparent standard, and his fall wasn't enormous while Meredith was far off the apparent standard though his fall (considered a 2nd round candidate, selected in the fifth) was dramatic.

Just some food for thought.

Lurker64
04-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Even though I do love what I've seen from him in games, this does bode poorly for Ben Ijalana (7.75 cone, 4.7 shuttle) ending up a Packer, though if the Packers have him rated highly and he's there at 32 he could be a Bulaga-style pick (worse than the requirement, but not a lot worse). It's also not entirely clear to me whether recovering from a sports hernia would hurt his performance in either of these drills.

Unfortunately, Carimi did not do either drill at either the combine or his pro day. Regardless, I'm pretty sure that TT's scouts spot this kind of athleticism on film first and the tests are just a check.

Tarlam!
04-23-2011, 02:54 AM
:bclap:

Lurker, just wanna thank you for all the great draft input you're providing to Packer Rats. The research you're doing amazes me. Thanks!

RashanGary
04-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Carpenter had better than 7.65 3-cone, but he did it at his proday so Carpenter is a TT type pick.

Bryan Bulaga vs James Carpenter

Height: 6'5" - 6'4" Slight Advantage Bulaga
Weight: 314 - 321 Slight Advantage Carpenter
10 Yard: 1.78 - 1.81 Slight Advantage Bulaga
40 Yard: 5.20 - 5.22 Slight Advantage Bulaga
Vertical: 27.5 - 28.5 Slight Advantage Carpenter
Broad: - 8'02" - 8'10" Slight Advantage Carpenter
Shuttle: 4.75 - 4.75 Even
3-Cone: 7.70 - 7.56 Advantage Carpenter

Quote on Carpenter "He has pretty good feet and he's had great coaching," Polian said, referring to Crimson Tide O-line coach Joe Pendry

Quote on Bulaga - I don't want to dig for one, but Iowa's OL coaching is notorious for producing NFL ready OL so I'll give the slight advantage to Bulaga here.

Carpenter - All SEC selection 2010
Bulaga - All Big 10 selection 2009

Bob McGinn's draft publication is the best I've seen. A lot of places have Carpenter at the end of the 2nd round. McGinn has Carpenter as the top OL in the 2nd round. Carpenters resume is top notch and he's a very good athlete. He's about as safe of a bet as there is in this draft to be a 10 year starter at RT. I think McGinn's scouts could be sand bagging him a little. I expect Carpenter to be drafted at the end of the first round, possibly to us, and possibly over one or two of the consensus 1st round OT's.

Fritz
04-23-2011, 07:52 AM
I think this makes Sherrod the most logical pick, then, from this group, because he is above the standard in both drills and he's an OT. TT has a bit of a history of drafting guys who played outside, then moving them in. Wasn't Colledge or one of them a tight end at the beginning of college, then moved inside as he went? And Lang was a tackle, as was Newhouse. Both now being considered for guard.

Bretsky
04-23-2011, 08:37 AM
JH; perhaps Carpenter becomes the guy everybody wishes they had drafted last year. Roger Staffold was amazing.....Rams....top of round two

RashanGary
04-23-2011, 08:57 AM
JH; perhaps Carpenter becomes the guy everybody wishes they had drafted last year. Roger Staffold was amazing.....Rams....top of round two

I was a big Saffold fan last year. Very comparable. Saffold is an elite athlete, could play left tackle. Carpenter is a just a very good athlete, but Carpenter plays for a former NFL OL coach and against better competition. The fact that he won all SEC OT gives him a steadiness edge over Saffold. Carpenter is as steady as they get. If we want a rock solid RT for the next 10 years, I think Carpenter would be it. Would have to hope Bulaga makes the smooth switch to LT.

Bretsky
04-23-2011, 09:08 AM
You on board wtih TT trading down to Bulffalo, Cincy, or Tennessee's pick (who all may be trying to get up here to get their QB) and taking Carpenter at top of 2nd round ?
I'm down for that. We pick up their 4th maybe and it's such a high 4th it's like a late 3rd. Lot of good players in this deep draft....just not a lot of superstars

RashanGary
04-23-2011, 09:42 AM
I would, but I think he might be better than early 2nd even. Last year they had Alualu going between the mid 2nd and 3rd rounds. He ended up going 10th overall. I was all over him because he was a 300lb DE who averaged 6-7 sacks per year playing 5 technique. He was every bit the athlete as the top DT's. I thought, "how can this guy be as productive as those guys, in a major conference, put up athletic numbers like those guys and be a rock solid citizen and not go higher than the mid 2nd round?"

Well, we went a lot higher. He went within 9 picks of Suh and McCoy, just like his production and athleticism would warrant.

Carpenter is similar to that. He was rock solid, playing in a pro style blocking system. He's a very good athlete. He won all-SEC OT voted by coaches. What does this guy have to do? He has the athletic numbers of the top guys. He's done it against the best, in a pro style system. He's been better than everyone else.

To me, this is this years Alualu. He's great. He's athletic. He want's to get better. No reason not to draft him high. 2 years at JUCO had him under the radar. Playing 5-tech in the PAC 10 had Alualu under the radar. 20 sacks in three years isn't as big of a deal for a DE, but he was playing more of a DT role with a DE title. That's why the media missed him. They should have been comparing him to Suh and McCoy (who he performed on par with) but they were comparing him to edge rushers (which he was not).

Carpenter wasn't picked up by a big school out of high school. He didn't get on any of those lists, but when Saban plucked him from Butte, he came in and dominated. Problem is, nobody knows his name, but I'll bet the NFL GM's do, just the way they knew Alualu's name.

Tarlam!
04-23-2011, 09:50 AM
With all due respect to JH, but somebody please explain to me why the draftniks aren't higher on Carpenter?

RashanGary
04-23-2011, 11:01 AM
With all due respect to JH, but somebody please explain to me why the draftniks aren't higher on Carpenter?

Because he came from JUCO and doesn't have a big name. College players sort of build hype through their college careers. Alabama fans get all stoked about their 5 star OT recruit. As a freshman, they talk about how good he played for an 18 year old. As a sophmore, they start to ooze about how dominant he is. As a JR, the coaches and media start hyping him, especially if he's a leader. Then, by the time they get drafted, everyone knows their name.

Carpenter was plucked from JUCO. Fans say, "well, he can get us by until Saban can get us a real stud LT." But then he goes out there and has a great first year. But the nature of fans is to dream of what's to come. He's already pretty much maxed out. No hype. His second year (sr year) he rips it up, but he's gone after this year and none of they hype really lead up to it. Media doesn't call his name, he just sort of quietly kicks ass. He gets voted All SEC by the coaches. He puts up an excellent combine.

He should be rated higher, but he's not. Same way Tramon always should have been rated higher. I remember reading all of the, "yeah, he's alright, but Will Blackmon has more upside" and "yeah, he's an OK nickle, but that's about it." He went under the radar. He was always good, always highly talented, the media and fans and even coaches somtimes tend to be behind on the players they first impression as so/so.

He got first impressioned as so/so, but he played great. That's why I think he's underrated, because human nature is to hang onto first impressions long after they've been shown wrong.

Lurker64
04-23-2011, 12:28 PM
You on board wtih TT trading down to Bulffalo, Cincy, or Tennessee's pick (who all may be trying to get up here to get their QB) and taking Carpenter at top of 2nd round ?
I'm down for that. We pick up their 4th maybe and it's such a high 4th it's like a late 3rd. Lot of good players in this deep draft....just not a lot of superstars

I'm okay with taking Carpenter, but at the bottom of the 2nd not the top. He's, IMO, a day 2 guy through and through. It's not his athleticism that worries me, it's his coordination and his pad level.

Carpenter is in that group of "guys we can target in the second round if we don't pick that position in the first" he's like the Moch or Acho of the OL class.

But I agree that Carpenter is under consideration for a TT guy. The idea in this thread is mostly useful for being able to, at a glance, look at a guy and disqualify him from the Packers taking him near where he was slotted (Marcus Cannon with a 8.07 cone and a 4.97 shuttle? We're not taking him).

Tarlam!
04-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Because he came from JUCO and doesn't have a big name.

I assume JUCO means Jr. colledge? If so, Aaron Rodgers and Cam Newton came from JUCO. Maybe I'm proving how stupid I am, but I don't get it.

Same as the "small school" thing. Jennings and Collins were "small school".

RashanGary
04-23-2011, 01:41 PM
I assume JUCO means Jr. colledge? If so, Aaron Rodgers and Cam Newton came from JUCO. Maybe I'm proving how stupid I am, but I don't get it.

Jennings and Collins both were surprise picks too. They were under the radar 2nd round guys that a lot of fans complained about when we picked them.

I think Carpenter is going to go in round 1. His play and athleticism warrant it.

Lurker64
04-23-2011, 02:03 PM

Kids usually go to JUCO because they can't academically cut it to get into a big school even with lax admissions standards for football prospects, they don't get offered scholarships to D-I programs (e.g. Aaron Rodgers), or they are waiting out the year penalty for transferring (e.g. Cam Newton). It's not anybody's first choice.

Tarlam!
04-23-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm just pointing out that it seems ridiculous to blame going to JUCO as a reason to "fall under the radar" once the transition to a football powerhause has been successfully negotiated. There's also a DL with question marks, because he might be a one-year wonder, but he'll still go top 10 according to the draftniks.

Again, with all due respect to JH's scouting prowess, I don't buy the reasoning that he's flying under the radar due to his JUCO roots.

What seemed to hurt Rodgers' stock coming out was the fact that he was a Tedford QB, IIRC. But he was still on some boards as #1 overall. Certainly not under the radar!

RashanGary
04-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Rodgers came out and played some big games on National TV and played out of his mind. Just like him playing out of his mind in the playoffs, big games = big recognition. OT's. . . I think they're more likely to fly under the radar if they're not the classic 5 star recruit. Those guys get brought up with hype all around their names. Carpenter had no hype. Just like Tramon Williams coming in undrafted, it takes twice as long or more to earn a name when you come up the hard way.

You don't have to buy it. Time will prove it ;)

Nobody was buying Alualu from me last year and he went from late 2nd in all the media reports to top 10 pick. I picked him #22 or 23'd last year to the Eagles in our mock and he was a classic 2nd-3rd round prospect when I did that.

Bretsky
04-23-2011, 05:12 PM
I'm not buying into the JUCO argument here. The dude played in Alabama last year. Every scout in the NFL has been watching him for a long time at that school, even if it was while they were scouting somebody else on Saban's team. Lots of pros on that squad.

RashanGary
04-23-2011, 05:25 PM
I do think he's under the media radar. I think when Alabama brings in a JUCO player it's seen as a stopgap, same way undrafted players are seen as roster fodder.

The coaches voted him tops in the SEC. He had an excellent combine/proday. I have no doubt that the scouts and GM's know who he is. I'm definitely with you guys there, but he's under the radar of the media.

Same way I don't think Tramon was ever under the radar of his coaches and teammates, but he was nothing more than a solid nickle to fans (perception)

Lurker64
04-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Nobody on the Alabama roster is under the radar.

RashanGary
04-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Nobody on the Alabama roster is under the radar.

We'll see I guess. I try to find the guy or two predicted by the media types to go in the 2nd that are much better than where the media is slotting them. My guys last year both proved right and I think you might have even doubted me then. This year my guy is Carpenter. I'm standing by it and can't wait to see where he's picked.

Bretsky
04-23-2011, 05:36 PM
I think most sites are rating Carpenter as the next best OT not projected into round one, right ?

Lurker64
04-23-2011, 05:43 PM
We'll see I guess. I try to find the guy or two predicted by the media types to go in the 2nd that are much better than where the media is slotting them. My guys last year both proved right and I think you might have even doubted me then. This year my guy is Carpenter. I'm standing by it and can't wait to see where he's picked.

Well, the reason that he may be underhyped by the media and overhyped by you is that his numbers are better than his tape, and everybody in the media is a tape guy not a numbers guy.

Watching Alabama, he really didn't stand out on film.

I think most sites are rating Carpenter as the next best OT not projected into round one, right ?

I have him seventh among the OTs, behind Smith, Carimi, Sherrod, Ijalana, Castonzo and Solder, and in terms of "OL" he's tenth behind the guys listed, Pouncey, Watkins, and Wisnieski. He's about even with Marcus Gilbert on tape alone, but Gilbert's not a TT pick. I'm okay with Carpenter at #64 though.

Tarlam!
04-23-2011, 05:45 PM
JH, I don't believe I've seen anyone here disagree with your prognosis that he will be good or better at the next level. Nor has anyone disagreed that he's probably going in round one. Shivers, it's a crap shoot, as everybody knows. If he does, indeed, bust, so what? No flies on you, right? Players bust all the time and they're picked by pro's.

The dissent is with the claim that he's under the radar 'cause he came from JUCO from what I'm reading. That just doesn't add up.

RashanGary
04-23-2011, 05:48 PM

NFL Draftscout has him as the #57 player, after Ijalana and Cannon.
Draftcountdown has him at #70
Nationalfootball post has him at #73

The only one who has him near the top 40 is the one I trust the most for draft info, Bob McGinn. But that just came out last night and I've been pimping my guy for longer than that. It sort of verified it for me though. Most places think 2nd-3rd round. I think he'll fly up on Thursday.

Bretsky
04-23-2011, 05:50 PM
ok...just so I can be a disagreeer................I don't think he's going round one.

But I 'd be fine with him going to GB there

RashanGary
04-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Well, the reason that he may be underhyped by the media and overhyped by you is that his numbers are better than his tape, and everybody in the media is a tape guy not a numbers guy.

Watching Alabama, he really didn't stand out on film.

I know where you get your info, the national football post. They have some connections, but like Ted Thompson said a few days ago, "All of those people writing about the draft, they don't know what they're talking about because I'm supposed to be good at this and I don't know what they think they know."

Last year nationalfootballpost had Alualu rated around 50. He went #10. If they do watch tape, they don't know what they're doing. They're media retards.

The coaches in the SEC though, they know what good is better than your media people. Bill Polian as sited in Bob McGinn's draft piece on the OL, he knows more too.

We'll see, I have things I trust (coaches vote for all conference, athletic ability, Bob McGinn's draft piece loaded with quotes from t0p level execs) and you have things you trust (wanna be scouts working for nationalfootballpost).

I'm not saying I know more than anyone else, I'm saying I'm assigning the right amount of weight the actual important information available to us.

And the nationalfootball post has Ijalana rated higher than most places. They probably have a scout somewhere who leaked them some info, because I agree, Ijalana's resume is pretty sweet. The other media seem wrong on him. I think McGinn had him high too.

If media places have a write up on a player, we should tear it up and piss on it. The SEC coaches know far more than that website.

Lurker64
04-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Well, in the interest of full information (though shouldn't we just make a Carpenter thread for this), let's post some scouting reports, here are three:

Bob McGinn

"He has pretty good feet and he's had great coaching," Polian said, referring to Crimson Tide O-line coach Joe Pendry. "I don't see him in the same light as the other (tackles) but I could be wrong on that." Played two years in junior college and then started two years at LT for coach Nick Saban. "He is truly one of the better athletes for the position," one scout said. "He's just a different guy when it goes from one-on-one drills to team. He really struggles with things like counter-rushes. People cross his face. He's slow to react. If somebody continues to invest time and effort he'll end up being a good player." Scored 20 on the Wonderlic, one above the NFL average, but the learning questions remain widespread. "When I hear people say second round my palms get sweaty," another scout said. "The problem with him is it takes him a week to get the game plan down. So that means he's not really a versatile tackle-guard combo guy because he can't learn but one spot at a time."

ESPN Scouts Inc
(1 is exceptional, 2 above average, 3 average, 4 below average, 5 is marginal)

Production: 2
2007-08: Started career at Coffeyville (KS) Community College. 2009: Transferred to Alabama and started all 14 games at left tackle. 2010: Started every game at left tackle.

Height-Weight-Speed: 1
Excellent blend of height, weight and top-end speed for a guard prospect.

Durability: 1
Hindered by an ankle injury early on in the 2010 season but started all 27 games of two-year career at Alabama.

Intangibles: 2
Signed with Iowa State as a high school senior and had to bounce back from early academic struggles to make it to the FBS level. Recipient of the Paul Crane Offensive Lineman Award in spring of 2010. Recipient of the Bart Starr Most Improved Player Award following 2009 spring practices.

Pass Protection: 2
Makes it difficult for defenders' to get into frame. Upper body strength is just average in the weight room but compact punch and sound hand placement. Active hands and quickly resets when they get knocked down. Bit of a waist bender but still strong at the top of set and can anchor against bull rushers. Marginal arm length for a tackle prospect and would have a harder time protecting the edge at the NFL level. Gets caught over setting to the outside and not agile enough to recover. However, projects as an excellent pass blocker at guard. Arm length is slightly above average for a guard prospect and can protect the B-gap at the next level. Above average balance and can stay in front of rusher in tighter space.

Run Blocking: 2
Quick first step and gets into sound position more times than not. Above average lateral mobility for size. Can hook/seal the edge and flashes ability to scoop 3-technique at tackle. Uses defenders' momentum against them and can wash them down the line of scrimmage. Could take better angles to downfield blocks but made strides in this area as a senior. Smooth climbing up to the second level, above average body control in space and can cover linebackers. Drive legs once locked on and flashes the ability to move defenders off the ball but inconsistent in this area. Plays to high and lower body strength may need to improve.

Awareness: 3
Lacks ideal instincts but made strides in this area as a senior. Quicker to recognize and pick up line stunts. Didn't overreact to pre-snap movement. Makes sound decisions when combination blocking up to the second level and quickly locates assignment when pulls but has some problems locating second level assignments as zone blocker.

Toughness: 2
Blocks through the whistle and can get under defenders' skin. Flashes a mean streak and not just a wall-off blocker but not a traditional mauler that brings it on every down either.

NFP

Possesses good overall thickness in his lower half with decent initial body control off the snap. Showcases average range when asked to reach defenders off his frame in the run game, but has the body control to drop his pad level and get a chip on them off the line on runs away from his frame. Looks natural in sealing opposing linemen on runs away from his frame. However, he lacks the type of coordination to cleanly chop down linemen on contact. Seems a lot more comfortable when asked to chip on his man at the line and get down the field in the screen game. Has a tendency to lumber a bit, but possesses good balance into contact and consistently gets his hands on defenders in space.

Seems too overextended with his footwork initially off the snap, although he does do a nice job quickly getting off the ball and reaching the edge vs. the speed rush. He allows his base to get too overextended on his initial kick step, which causes him to get too upright on contact and struggles when asked to re-direct back inside. Also, has a tendency to stop moving his feet on the edge after his initial kick-step. And although he does do a nice job extending his long arms and using his length to push defenders past the pocket, he simply isn't much of a real Velcro player and fails to consistently stay on blocks. Possesses a good anchor though vs. the bull rush and when he keeps his base down the guy is tough to move.

Impression: There is some untapped potential to his game because of his initial range off the edge. However, he plays too high at times and lacks any kind of pop in the run game as an in-line guy. Therefore, you won't be able to run behind him in the NFL, and although he is a decent athlete with good anchor, looks more like a fringe NFL starter to me.

I liked Alualu in the first round last year too, but I just don't see Carpenter as worth any pick before #64. That whole "Takes him a week to get the game plan down" comment from an NFL Scout, scares the heck out of me. I watched him live in several games, and he just didn't stand out. The more I read about him the more I get "the black Daryn Colledge."

RashanGary
04-23-2011, 06:30 PM
We'll see how it all shakes out, if I'm wrong, I take a step back and admit I don't know what I don't know (which is the truth anyway).

It's weird, I think I have this little knack for sorting information and coming to good conclusions. Each year I hit these major draft realities before they happen and I never get it out there before hand. This year, I'm getting my opinion out there so in a few days I see if I hit another one.

bobblehead
04-23-2011, 06:42 PM
JH, I don't believe I've seen anyone here disagree with your prognosis that he will be good or better at the next level. Nor has anyone disagreed that he's probably going in round one. Shivers, it's a crap shoot, as everybody knows. If he does, indeed, bust, so what? No flies on you, right? Players bust all the time and they're picked by pro's.

The dissent is with the claim that he's under the radar 'cause he came from JUCO from what I'm reading. That just doesn't add up.

Actually, that is ONE reason JH said he was under the radar OF THE MEDIA. That is why media whores who do mock drafts have him in the second. He is actually PREDICTING the guy goes in the first, so he isn't claiming he is under the radar of the scouts.

He could be way off, but no one seems to be reading what he is actually saying. Disagree, fine, but understand his point. The JUCO thing only gave him a two season exposure, and no hype coming in. The media is all about hype.

bobblehead
04-23-2011, 06:49 PM
It's weird, I think I have this little knack for sorting information and coming to good conclusions. .

I agree JH, you do have this knack...that and the ability to admit when you are wrong tells me you will be a conservative by the age of 30.

Guiness
04-23-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm not buying into the JUCO argument here. The dude played in Alabama last year. Every scout in the NFL has been watching him for a long time at that school, even if it was while they were scouting somebody else on Saban's team. Lots of pros on that squad.

Do you think any of the Cincy scouts got a look at him? :lol:

Lurker64
04-29-2011, 01:29 AM
Derek Sherrod:
4.63 shuttle
7.43 cone

Bingo!

Guiness
04-29-2011, 01:44 AM
Carpenter

Good call.

bobblehead
04-29-2011, 04:41 AM
I think this makes Sherrod the most logical pick, then, from this group, because he is above the standard in both drills and he's an OT. TT has a bit of a history of drafting guys who played outside, then moving them in. Wasn't Colledge or one of them a tight end at the beginning of college, then moved inside as he went? And Lang was a tackle, as was Newhouse. Both now being considered for guard.

And the winner is.....

swede
04-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Do you think the Cincy scout got a look at him? :lol:

fixed

bobblehead
04-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Yep, Carpenter goes at #25. Props to JH. I may just have to run your track record with your other picks.

Lurker64
02-25-2012, 04:09 PM
BUMP! 2012 Combine Edition!

Guys with better than 7.65 3-cone
Brandon Mosley, OT, Auburn (7.43 cone, 4.78 shuttle)
Nate Potter, OT, Boise State (7.49 cone, 4.67 shuttle)
Donald Stephenson, OT, Oklahoma (7.52 cone, 4.78 shuttle)

Guys with better than 4.65 short shuttle
Andrew Datko, OT, Florida State (7.71 cone, 4.54 shuttle)
Adam Gettis, OG, Iowa (7.99 cone, 4.65 shuttle)
Rishaw Johnson, OG, Cal-U Penn (7.87 cone, 4.53 shuttle)
Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin (7.77 cone, 4.61 shuttle)
Michael Brewster, OC, Ohio State (7.73 cone, 4.60 shuttle)
Philip Blake, OC, Baylor (7.86 cone, 4.65 shuttle)

Guys with both
Tom Compton, OT, South Dakota (7.59 cone, 4.60 shuttle)
John Cullen, OT, Utah (7.58 cone, 4.59 shuttle)
Matt Kalil, OT, USC (7.33 cone, 4.65 shuttle)
David DeCastro, OG, Stanford (7.30 cone, 4.56 shuttle)
Josh Leribeus, OG, SMU (7.64 cone, 4.65 shuttle)
Garth Gerhart, OC, Arizona State (7.63 cone, 4.63 shuttle)

Centers Peter Konz and David Molk; Guards Mark Asper, Joe Looney, and Desmond Wynn; and Tackles Paul Cornick, AJ Greene, Jonathan Martin, Matt Mccants, Josh Oglesby, Matt Reynolds, and Markus Zusevics did not participate in the cone or shuttle at the combine.

pittstang5
02-25-2012, 05:54 PM
I like Philip Blake. Liked him before the Combine and now with all the Wells leaving talk, I think he'd fit and start right away. Seems he had a descent combine and I don't think he'll go very high. Might be able to get him in the 3rd or 4th round.