PDA

View Full Version : Can Bulaga play LT in the NFL?

RashanGary
04-23-2011, 09:30 AM
If you can't have Joe Thomas protecting your blind side or even Chad Clifton in his prime, the next best thing is a solid guy who will be predictable. Unpredictable means he'll hold up like a rock 9 times and whiff once. A QB can never feel comfortable with an inconsistent LT. You'd rather have a slightly below average LT who is slightly below average every play than the best LT in the world who just whiffs 1 out of every 10 times.

Can Bulaga handle the left side?

1. Can he secure the edge? - watching him on the RT side effortlessly handle speed, I think he can take the next step.
2. Can he handle power? - RE's are usually smaller and more speed oriented than LE's. He'll only get stronger. Looking at him handle LE's like Justin Tuck late in the season, I think he'll be OK against power if he switches to LT.
3. Can he run block? - Yes
4. Is he steady? - The way he improved very game and rarely made the same mistake twice, I'm going to say yes. It might be his greatest quality and the reason I think he can be trusted on the left side.

I can't guarantee he's going to be the next Joe Thomas, in fact, I'll bet against it, but I do think he has the skill and tools to be solid and predictable on the left side. He never whiffs. He does things the same way every time, so the coaches will know when to help him. Even if your LT isn't a probowler, having him play decent and always be predictable is the next best thing. I think Bulaga does that already and he has a chance to be even better than average.

If we went into next season with Bulaga as our LT, I think we'd end up feeling comfortable that he can keep Rodgers healthy for a long time. That's his #1 job duty.

steve823
04-23-2011, 11:18 AM
He got manhandled against Tuck. He needs to get stronger and he might be able to hold his own

RashanGary
04-23-2011, 11:38 AM
I remember he got man handled early in the year against Wake, but then he was good down the stretch.

Lurker64
04-23-2011, 12:30 PM
He got manhandled against Tuck. He needs to get stronger and he might be able to hold his own

He was also 21 at the time. "Not strong enough" is not going to be his problem long term. He's got the feet to play left tackle, so I don't see why he couldn't play the position in the NFL.

gbpackfan
04-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Well I hope he has hired a good strength coach because he isnt working out with the Packers staff right now. The off-season weight program is HUGE for guys going into year 2.

RashanGary
04-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Well I hope he has hired a good strength coach because he isnt working out with the Packers staff right now. The off-season weight program is HUGE for guys going into year 2.

They just had an article in the pressgazette showing Mike Neal and Bulaga facing off against each other at Don Bebee's workout site in Green Bay. Neal looked absolutely shredded and Bulaga didn't look heavier, but he looked extremely fit. He's a very trim 320 lbs. Naturally big man.

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2011, 05:10 PM
I don' think he would fall on his ass, but he isn't a protection wizard like Clifton. Clifton is(was) a hell of a pass blocker, shitty run blocker, but to expect Bulaga to dominate in the passing game is a huge mistake. I would like to see him get a crack at holding down the position, and hopefully getting someone in this draft that could roll at right tackle and then you have two bookend tackles for the next 8 years. I think Bulaga stays at right tackle with Clifton going one more year at left.

Lurker64
04-23-2011, 05:34 PM
I think Bulaga stays at right tackle with Clifton going one more year at left.

I agree, but I think that if Clifton were to go down in the preseason (assuming there is one for a minute), Bulaga gets the first looks at LT no matter who we draft.