PDA

View Full Version : ABDUL HODGE BEGINS WORKING AT STRONG-SIDE LINEBACKER

woodbuck27
08-11-2006, 12:42 PM
HODGE BEGINS WORKING AT STRONG-SIDE LINEBACKER

By CHRIS JENKINS
Associated Press Story Link

GREEN BAY, Wis. - Abdul Hodge has showed that he belongs on the field. Now the Green Bay Packers have to find the right place to put him. The rookie, who was a standout middle linebacker at Iowa, began getting practice time at strong side linebacker earlier this week.

"If that's what it takes for me to get on the field, I'm up for it," Hodge said of the potential position switch.

Moving Hodge to the strong side (or "sam") position could give the Packers a formidable crew of linebackers, with fellow rookie A.J. Hawk on the weak side ("will") and veteran Nick Barnett in the middle ("mike").

Hodge's move would keep Barnett happy, too. Hodge has been impressive in training camp so far, working mainly as the middle linebacker on the No. 2 defense. That led to speculation that coaches might keep Hodge in the middle and ask Barnett to switch to the outside. But Barnett has said several times that he wants to stay in the middle.

"It doesn't matter," Barnett said Thursday.

"Whatever they want me to do, I'll do. But I'm definitely more comfortable playing the mike, and I'm sure it'd be nice for (Hodge) to get on the field as well."

Hodge will have to learn new coverage responsibilities to make the switch - particularly in the passing game, where he will be called on to cover tight ends. Although Hodge's college coach, Kirk Ferentz, has expressed doubts that Hodge can play outside, Barnett said Hodge can pull it off.

"I definitely think so," Barnett said.

"I think he's athletic enough, and he can run with any tight end in the league. So I think he has a good chance."

Hodge said he still considers himself a middle linebacker but is willing to try the switch if it gets him more playing time.

"I think with repetition and just being out there every day, it should come easy to me," Hodge said.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson, meanwhile, figures having two talented players at the same position is a good problem to have. "I wish we had a huge controversy because we had seven or eight who could start for us," Thompson said.

"Maybe we will by the end of this. We'll always do what's best for the team and we'll put our best players out there like we always do. Nick's still the middle linebacker."

FritzDontBlitz
08-11-2006, 12:45 PM
thanks for the post, woody. a very interesting development...

Cheesehead Craig
08-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Fritz, nice pic of Bishop.

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Hopefully, this ends the speculation that Barnett will be moved outside. Good move, IMHO. In this scheme, Barnett fits what they are looking for at MLB more than at SLB. Hopefully, Hodge can cover TEs because we could have a formidable LBing corps if he does. I've heard Taylor is playing well also, so this isn't a guarantee that Taylor will lose his starting job.

Murphy37
08-11-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm a huge Hodge supporter, but I didn't think he would come along in his developent this fast. I know many of you did, but I thought it would take a year or two. It's early though, so who knows. This is a good thing.

woodbuck27
08-11-2006, 12:50 PM

I think it's about "a push come to shove thing". Barnett deserves the middle - at this point.

We have to see what Abdul can do as far as his versatility.

GO PACKERS ! FAITH PACKER FANS !!

Zool
08-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Actually Sanders says all LB's are taught all positions.

Cheesehead Craig
08-11-2006, 12:55 PM
I think Barnett should stay in the middle. He's been productive. Sure there are some weak spots in his game, but he takes a bit more heat than he should. He's a solid MLB and with some better talent around him, and the same defensive scheme for the first time in 4 years, I think he'll flourish even more.

Partial
08-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Hopefully, this ends the speculation that Barnett will be moved outside. Good move, IMHO. In this scheme, Barnett fits what they are looking for at MLB more than at SLB. Hopefully, Hodge can cover TEs because we could have a formidable LBing corps if he does. I've heard Taylor is playing well also, so this isn't a guarantee that Taylor will lose his starting job.

But, does Barnett fit the middle spot for the scheme better than Hodge. It shouldn't be where does Barnett fit better. It should be play the best player at each position.

FritzDontBlitz
08-11-2006, 12:57 PM

I think it's about "a push come to shove thing". Barnett deserves the middle - at this point.

We have to see what Abdul can do as far as his versatility.

GO PACKERS ! FAITH PACKER FANS !!

i agree. i'm cool with the move, and i like hodge's attitude and hunger.

FritzDontBlitz
08-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Fritz, nice pic of Bishop.

thanks, craig. i can't remember where i scanned it from....

RashanGary
08-11-2006, 01:14 PM
I don't like the idea of putting the LB who has been given the title of weakest LB in coverage the position that requires the most coverage responsibility. Hopefully Taylor starts this year and then Hodge moves in the middle next off-season.

I'd rather see Hodge have a good season in short yardage situations, a strong off season and then come in next year and take the positiion from NIck Barnett. Right now Barnett is still probably better with his experience and also being in hsi physical prime. Hodge needs a year and he'll have a chance to win it. As soon as Barnett gets paid, he'll be happy to move. It seems to be all about the $$ for him anyway.

wist43
08-11-2006, 01:27 PM
They're just tinkering around to see if there's a way to get him on the field... and, of course there's always the possibility of injury and the need to move people around.

That said, I don't see them moving Barnett out of the middle (sadly), and Hawk is locked in on the weak side.

I know you guys think I'm nuts, but for me, the best base defense group would be Hawk (Will), Hodge (Mike), and Poppinga (Sam)... maybe that'll be the lineup in a couple of years???

Long term, I think (and hope) that Barnett is history... short term, Barnett is the starting MLB, and Hodge will back him up.

red
08-11-2006, 01:35 PM
this could be to see if hodge can even play out there. i wouldn't be surprised if we see barnett line up out there a few times too in practice, to see what he can do

i don't really like the idea of sending hodge out to play outside, he has to relearn everything. and learn how to cover. taylor already knows how, so there no promise that hodge even beats him out for the spot with all he has to pick up.

just leave hodge at MLB, come next year, if hodge looks lie a dominate freak in the middle, you can tell barnett he can try to move, or he can walk. that would efinately be cheaper in a few years versus keeping #56 in the middle with his huge upcoming contract

Deputy Nutz
08-11-2006, 01:39 PM
They're just tinkering around to see if there's a way to get him on the field... and, of course there's always the possibility of injury and the need to move people around.

That said, I don't see them moving Barnett out of the middle (sadly), and Hawk is locked in on the weak side.

I know you guys think I'm nuts, but for me, the best base defense group would be Hawk (Will), Hodge (Mike), and Poppinga (Sam)... maybe that'll be the lineup in a couple of years???

Long term, I think (and hope) that Barnett is history... short term, Barnett is the starting MLB, and Hodge will back him up.

In a few years Poppinga will be collecting social security.

I am very disappointed in not moving Barnett to the strongside. The more I think about it the sicker it makes me feel. Although I agree it simply doesn't come down to your best three linebackers, especially if Barnett the bitch that he is has a problem with moving to the strong side.

Creepy
08-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Earlier in the TC they stated that once a LB becomes efficient at a position he will be moved over to learn another. The exception is hawk, as they will keep him at WLB. Now Hodge has picked up and played the Mike slot well in TC. It would be interesting if Hodge was in the middle with LT on Saturday. IMO, by the time Hodge is on the field the LT will be sitting down, but that is another story.

They want to see if Hodge can play Sam, if he can pick up the coverage fine, if not then they know he is a MLB only. If that happens that means that Barnett had better play great football at Mike. As the coach may start looking to see if Hodge is better in the middle and Barnett outside. They have already stated that Barnett & Hawk are the nickel LBs for coverage, so it doesn't matter on certain downs whether Hodge or Barnett is in the middle.

I would like to see Hodge excel at Sam, but his natural abilities and his current stature makes him a better fit at Mike. Well starting tomorrow night
We will start seeing who is better suited to MLB.

Still I would like to see a head-on between LT and Hodge.

pittstang5
08-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Wist,

I'm kinda surprised that you like Poppinga in the starting line up. He had a lot of rookie mistakes. Granted, he was a special teams demon and was a great pass rusher when asked to do so, but we blew up a quite a few plays last year. The one Viking's game comes to mind. He needs to settle down and stop over pursuing plays. The kid shows heart and tenacity, but he needs to control it.

Now don't get me wrong. In time I think Poppinga will be a great LB, but to start right now.....I just don't see it.

RashanGary
08-11-2006, 01:49 PM
In a few years Poppinga will be collecting social security.

I am very disappointed in not moving Barnett to the strongside. The more I think about it the sicker it makes me feel. Although I agree it simply doesn't come down to your best three linebackers, especially if Barnett the bitch that he is has a problem with moving to the strong side.

I felt the same way, kind of sick about it. I hate to see Barnett in the middle for the long term when you have HOdge on the roster.

I do think they are just thinkering as well. Barnett will start this year and HOdge's first chacne to win the spot will be next year. I hope he gets on the field in a short yardage package. That would be teh best this year IMO.

vince
08-11-2006, 01:55 PM
I am very disappointed in not moving Barnett to the strongside. The more I think about it the sicker it makes me feel. I think you will see Barnett playing the outside yet. They're just looking at all their options at this point, and appeasing a veteran leader for the time being.

It just makes too much sense to have it any other way.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-11-2006, 02:05 PM
I think this is a great move. This will teach Hodge how to cover and when hes ready to take over the middle he will be as complete a middle line backer as there is out their. People keep saying he can't cover and this is a bad move, but in every game Barnett has played hes had to cover someone at least 4-5 times a game. If hodge can't cover what makes you think he will every be a good middle line backer.

Scott Campbell
08-11-2006, 02:06 PM
I don't like the idea of putting the LB who has been given the title of weakest LB in coverage the position that requires the most coverage responsibility.

I also don't like how this looks. Barnett whines to the media about not wanting to move, so McCarthy moves Hodge instead to the Sam.

Scott Campbell
08-11-2006, 02:07 PM
this could be to see if hodge can even play out there. i wouldn't be surprised if we see barnett line up out there a few times too in practice, to see what he can do

They need to line him up out there just to teach him to keep his big yapper shut.

pbmax
08-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Hodge will have to learn new coverage responsibilities to make the switch - particularly in the passing game, where he will be called on to cover tight ends. Although Hodge's college coach, Kirk Ferentz, has expressed doubts that Hodge can play outside, Barnett said Hodge can pull it off.

"I definitely think so," Barnett said.
We have got to get this settled. Sam in this defense isn't necessarily over the TE. So AJ has got to learn man coverage against the TE too.

Does anyone remember if the OLBS switched sides last year?

RashanGary
08-11-2006, 04:17 PM
They don't think they did so much last year, but I doubt they are going to put Hawk over teh TE at all this year. It's only football, you don't have to be crippled by schemes, you adjust to the players you have. Hawk will never play over the TE unless it's a 2 TE set. That is just my guess anyway.

Lare
08-11-2006, 04:52 PM
So why don't they switch Hawk to Sam, Barnett to Will and Hodge to Mike? That would seem to make everybody happy and also suit their talent and physical abilities.

MJZiggy
08-11-2006, 05:04 PM
I think that the only thing that would piss Barnett off more than moving to Sam is moving to will. From what I've heard Hawk is a good will and would not be as effective in the sam or mike.

Dune
08-11-2006, 05:35 PM
From the article i just read it sounded like Barnett was afraid if he played outside his tackles would go down at it would cost him $$ on his next contract if that happend. I believe this is his final year of his contract.

I also got the impression that if he got a contract extension he would not be as worried about moving outside.

gbpackfan
08-11-2006, 05:54 PM
It is a very interesting move. If Hodge can master the strong side position and Popps can stay healthy, they may have a little trade bait in Ben Taylor. I know the Saints need help at LB (and we always seem to trade with them) and other teams could loose someone in camp. We seemed to be stacked at the position. If we only keep five, we may keep Barnett, Hawk, Hodge, Popps and Manning. Go with some youth!

I am not sure if Hodge has what it takes to be an outside backer. He doesn't look all that fluid when he moves and may get beat by more athletic TE's. However, I am all for giving him a shot.

Let's see how does in a game before we make him a starter.

woodbuck27
08-11-2006, 06:04 PM
From the article i just read it sounded like Barnett was afraid if he played outside his tackles would go down at it would cost him $$ on his next contract if that happend. I believe this is his final year of his contract.

I also got the impression that if he got a contract extension he would not be as worried about moving outside.

Dune. Hi.

2007 is the final year of Nick Barnett's Contract.

Partial
08-11-2006, 06:17 PM
So why don't they switch Hawk to Sam, Barnett to Will and Hodge to Mike? That would seem to make everybody happy and also suit their talent and physical abilities.

Barnett couldn't blitz to save his life.

outflow
08-11-2006, 06:29 PM
It's still early.

Now with that said...I don't like where this is going. It very well may be the first big no no for MM. The message your sending is that awwwwe poor Nick Barnett will get pissy so lets try Hodge out at strong side. Thats a dangerous message to be sending the team.

I say you keep Hodge at 2nd string...give Barnett competition and see where your at 2 games into the preseason. Make Barnett work for it, he certainly hasn't shown me in the past couple of years that he's untouchable.

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2006, 07:46 PM
SAM = strongside LB

Strongside LB = LB over the TE

Sometimes there are two TE sets, sometimes RBs come out of the backfield on the weakside, and sometimes the defense plays a zone where a WLB is responsible for coverage in his zone. Thus, all LBs need to cover a little bit. However, the SLB is going to be the one that needs to cover the most.

These LBs aren't interchangeable in that they'll have equal coverage on the TE. They are interchangeable in how they line up. Some schemes the SLB might be closer to the line of scrimmage. In this scheme, all of the LBs will lineup about 7 yards off the line of scrimmage and the coaches want them to run to the ball (little gap responsibility). They all need to cover (with the SLB being the one that will cover the most).

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 07:40 PM
Some "in your face" from this Packer fan:

Sam I Am (Not)

http://www.robertlalasz.com/storage/743b761f-13d5-4d0d-80a5-e8b883035c45.jpg

Hearing what for him are the unique footsteps of competition, Nick Barnett—the best mike LB GBP has had since Hardy Nickerson—has announced he doesn’t want to move outside for Abdul Hodge, or anybody else, even though it might be in the best interests of the franchise.

I can’t blame him. The move would confirm and indeed seal—in the year before Barnett becomes a free agent—what everyone already knows: He has little to no playmaking ability. He is a mediocre linebacker at best—a quintessential stalwart of the Uncle Mikey Era.

Yes, he last season set a tackle record for GBP. (The record was previously held by Mike Douglass—which shows you how much it means.) Only six of those 194 tackles, however, produced a loss of yards. Meanwhile, according to Bob McGinn’s unofficial tally, Barnett missed 20 tackles in 2005—four short of the franchise record, set by Nate Wayne.

The only other defender to have 20 missed tackles since McGinn has been keeping track? Marques Anderson, Charles Woodson’s drinking buddy.

Interceptions? Nick’s had just five in his career, along with only six career sacks, not to mention a single forced fumble. At least he’s consistently nonproductive.

Barnett is now demanding a contract extension if McCarthy moves him outside, He doesn’t want to move because he’d be fighting off tight ends while watching two rookies have their names called about 20 times more by Bill Jartz. He doesn’t want to become a smaller Na’il Diggs, get beat up, and lose his reputation for durability—which is all he really has. Who can blame him?

But how McCarthy handles this situation, along with how he handles Favre’s interception binges, will set the course for his tenure.

Barnett is preening for a role he hasn’t excelled at—one he inherited (like BJ Sander) because he was drafted into it. While Hodge is struggling in coverage, he has by all accounts substantial upside, something Barnett has convincingly failed to exhibit.

And now Barnett, shamefully, is lobbying for Ben Taylor to get consideration at sam, as if this is a question of showing respect to veterans. (Chris Havel,, sadly, has fallen for it.) That’s insane; that’s Lindy Infante loser talk. Taylor might be a small improvement over Diggs or Robert Thomas. He has done absolutely nothing over his career to indicate that he is a championship-caliber playmaker.

And make no mistake—what’s at stake here is whether MM is committed to winning championships. A lineup of Barnett, Taylor, and Hawk doesn’t do that. But a lineup of Hawk, Hodge, and Brady Poppinga might. Whoops—where’s Nick Barnett’s name in that trio? Hmmm….

If McCarthy heeds the pouts and threats of somebody who thinks he has earned a position by fiat, by keeping it warm, we have a problem.

If he starts Hodge now or by 1 October, we might have something more promising.

Posted on Wednesday, August 9, 2006 at 04:15PM by Robert Lalasz

Cheesehead Craig
08-14-2006, 11:05 PM
Good 'ol Robert. Great writer and always there to bring a Packer fan crashing down to earth. :lol: He's a bit on the pessimistic side for Packer fans. I personally like Barnett and think he should stay at MLB at this point.

run pMc
08-15-2006, 08:19 AM
I think Barnett is a better fit on the outside than Hodge. I don't think Hodge has the same speed, although he is a better run defender. Hodge seem like a 2-down & short-yardage MLB.
I think training Hodge in multiple positions gets him more opportunities to be on the field, and is a way to introduce more competition for Taylor (who I think will start).
Finally, isn't this a contract year for Barnett? If it is, there's almost no way he will play outside. Putting him out there will alienate him from management & he won't resign.

HarveyWallbangers
08-15-2006, 08:22 AM
I thought somebody wrote that Barnett is signed through 2007.

billy_oliver880
08-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Isn't it up to the coaches who is going to be best in the middle? It seems like they want Hodge there.

Partial
08-15-2006, 08:38 AM
So Wist's name is Robert eh... :lol: :lol: :lol:

pbmax
08-15-2006, 08:56 AM
Yes, he last season set a tackle record for GBP. (The record was previously held by Mike Douglass—which shows you how much it means.) Only six of those 194 tackles, however, produced a loss of yards. Meanwhile, according to Bob McGinn’s unofficial tally, Barnett missed 20 tackles in 2005—four short of the franchise record, set by Nate Wayne.
Thank Woodbuck, for finding someone who was willing to do the research I was not. Total tackles are a HORRIBLE way to measure a player's effectiveness. Especially when used alone.

This applies to Kampman as well.

It doesn't mean they aren't effective, it just means total tackles won't make you an All Pro.

red
08-15-2006, 08:56 AM

i've been reading on here and in some interviews posted on here that he is signed through 2007. but the nflpa (national football league players accosiation)site says he's signed through 2009. i would think the NFLPA would know better then anyone, but whoe knows

i would say its safe to say he's signed through next season at least

http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=34589

ok i just read where the last 2 years were voidable if he reached certain playing time numbers, and i'm sure he hit those right away

so he's signed for sure through 2007

pbmax
08-15-2006, 09:05 AM
SAM = strongside LB

Strongside LB = LB over the TE

Sometimes there are two TE sets, sometimes RBs come out of the backfield on the weakside, and sometimes the defense plays a zone where a WLB is responsible for coverage in his zone. Thus, all LBs need to cover a little bit. However, the SLB is going to be the one that needs to cover the most.

These LBs aren't interchangeable in that they'll have equal coverage on the TE. They are interchangeable in how they line up. Some schemes the SLB might be closer to the line of scrimmage. In this scheme, all of the LBs will lineup about 7 yards off the line of scrimmage and the coaches want them to run to the ball (little gap responsibility). They all need to cover (with the SLB being the one that will cover the most).
Harvey, these circumstances you describe affect all teams and all schemes.

And yes, the Packer scheme has both OLBs 3 yards off the LOS just inside the ends.

What I'd like to know is if the Packers have the OLBs swap sides depending on the strength of the formation in a one TE set.

I simply can't remember from last year and of course, I forgot this question when I was watching the game.

If they swap, Hawk will see the TE only on motion and double TEs. If they don't swap, depending on the opponent, he might see the TE 40 versus 60% of the time.

Maybe someone can remind absent minded me to pay attention during the chat for the next preseason game!

HarveyWallbangers
08-15-2006, 09:07 AM
I'd say teams with a right-handed QB generally play their TEs on the rightside more than 60% of the time. Of course, they would change if they knew they could exploit a matchup on the opposite side.

woodbuck27
08-15-2006, 04:22 PM

My info. says he is "in fact" signed till the end of 2007.