PDA

View Full Version : JS STEALS PR IDEAS.............. :)

Bretsky
04-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Preicition from a story heading

They'll be walking out of the official Packers Draft Party in Curly's Pub at Lambeau Field with disappointment and frustration etched upon their faces. Given Ted Thompson's track record, there's a solid chance he will trade the 32nd and final selection of the opening round and slide down into the second round while picking up another high pick.

Lurker64
04-23-2011, 09:54 PM
A fan with perspective certainly wouldn't be disappointed with a modest trade down into the second round, you're really unlikely to cross a tier in a draft between #32 and #40. In fact, you're only likely to cross a tier in this manner in an exceptionally good draft, which this is not.

Bretsky
04-23-2011, 10:09 PM
a legit question.......GB talent wise is pretty well stacked. How would you feel if Teddy used Hoody like tactics and allowed a team to trade up, say six to eight spots, and gave us their second round pick next year ? Or just allowed other teams to trade up once or twice for a better pick next year ??? Finding the right team to take advantage of.....could aid in building even more of a powerhouse.

Consider the following:

Last year the Patriots gave up their 89th pick for this years second rounder.
New England now owns pick number 33 and it looks like the Panthers drafted a bust.

When Baltimore just had to have Klye Boller, Pats traded down from 19 to 41 and in return acquired the Ravens' first-round pick in '04.
That brought Vince Wolfork

In 2007, Belichick permitted San Francisco to trade up for his late first-round pick and got the SF first in 20008
Used that for Jerod

In 2009, Belichick acquired Jacksonville's second-round pick in '10 that he packaged to get all-rookie tight end Rob Gronkowski.

No Free Agency.....teams may want picks. GB has a solid roster.

Why not use some Hoody Tactics to take advantage of teams ???????????????"

Bretsky
04-23-2011, 10:11 PM
A fan with perspective certainly wouldn't be disappointed with a modest trade down into the second round, you're really unlikely to cross a tier in a draft between #32 and #40. In fact, you're only likely to cross a tier in this manner in an exceptionally good draft, which this is not.

This draft seems deep but void of superstars. TT is in a great spot at thirty two. Everybody knows Hoody will be auctioning off pick thirty three if there is a high bidder.
If a team trades to thirty two they get their guy and don't have to be part of the overnight auction.

Teams like Buffalo, Cincy, Tenn....that would be a golden trade.

Bretsky
04-23-2011, 10:18 PM
AND ONE BAD FLASHBACK.........KUDOS TO THE JETS....I CAN'T BELIEVE THEIR CONSTANT TRADE UP STRATEGY KEEPS WORKING BUT THEY SEEM TO PICK GOOD GUYS

When the Packers drafted defensive lineman Justin Harrell with the 16th pick after the New York Jets whisked past them into the 14th slot and selected Darrelle Revis. The Pitt cornerback had been the Packers' guy, leaving Thompson to choose between Harrell, or an underclassman wide receiver (Robert Meachem) who had started for just one year.

During this two-hour time frame, Cleveland was frantically calling around for a trade partner to move up from 36 and take quarterback Brady Quinn in the first round. The Browns offered their first-round pick in 2008 and 36 for 16

Lurker64
04-23-2011, 10:25 PM
I think the thing that Belichick does that TT is unwilling to do higher in a draft is "trade away a pick this year for a future pick resulting in a net loss of picks and position this year." The patriots keep doing this, sure, but it's not entirely clear that having a gaggle of 2nd round picks will bring the Patriots to the promised land.

I mean in 2009 they spent three 2nd round picks for Patrick Chung, Ron Brace, and Darius Butler; two of which were benched for less prominent players and one of which was responsible for a botched fake punt in a home playoff loss to their hated rival.

So I'm not sure I really want TT stockpiling future picks, a la the Hoodie.

RashanGary
04-23-2011, 10:28 PM
I do think Ted should do that, then when there is a draft that is exceptionally deep, sit tight and use all your extra picks. This year would be a great year to trade our 2nd for someones 2nd next year. Or 3rd for 3rd.

It will be trading #64 in a shallow draft for possibly 44 in a deep draft. It could jump us 2 or 3 tiers of talent. (from James Jones tier to Greg Jennings tier possibly)

Tarlam!
04-24-2011, 02:03 AM
Too bad about Revis! Too bad Harrell has been injured, 'cause I think he could have been a player. Not anymore, though. Rehabbing means he can't be practicing and improving.

I agree with JH that if he is to pull Hoody tactics, this would be the year to do it. Having said that, I have no idea if next year's rookie class promises improvement over this year's.

Scott Campbell
04-24-2011, 09:33 AM
a legit question.......GB talent wise is pretty well stacked. How would you feel if Teddy used Hoody like tactics and allowed a team to trade up, say six to eight spots, and gave us their second round pick next year ? Or just allowed other teams to trade up once or twice for a better pick next year ??? Finding the right team to take advantage of.....could aid in building even more of a powerhouse.

Consider the following:

Last year the Patriots gave up their 89th pick for this years second rounder.
New England now owns pick number 33 and it looks like the Panthers drafted a bust.

When Baltimore just had to have Klye Boller, Pats traded down from 19 to 41 and in return acquired the Ravens' first-round pick in '04.
That brought Vince Wolfork

In 2007, Belichick permitted San Francisco to trade up for his late first-round pick and got the SF first in 20008
Used that for Jerod

In 2009, Belichick acquired Jacksonville's second-round pick in '10 that he packaged to get all-rookie tight end Rob Gronkowski.

No Free Agency.....teams may want picks. GB has a solid roster.

Why not use some Hoody Tactics to take advantage of teams ???????????????"

You left out a move in your "consider the following" section. In 2009 Hoody traded the 26th pick (Clay Mathews) to the Packers for their 2nd and 2 3rds.

bobblehead
04-24-2011, 10:26 AM
You left out a move in your "consider the following" section. In 2009 Hoody traded the 26th pick (Clay Mathews) to the Packers for their 2nd and 2 3rds.

Booyah....any draft strategy is only as good as the man making the picks. I trust TT to make the right selections in this draft right now. Only need to trade for next year is if someone makes us a stupid offer.

Guiness
04-24-2011, 06:23 PM

I guess that could prove to be better than the trade that brought Jennings to Green Bay...and sent Chad Jackson to New England! Of course, that was a case of a trade up, but still.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Ted Thompson owns Hoody when it comes to draft trades then?

Deputy Nutz
04-24-2011, 11:22 PM
With the first day only being one round fans of teams that trade out of the first round really get annoyed. Especially those that go to team sponsored draft parties.

Tarlam!
04-24-2011, 11:42 PM
With the first day only being one round fans of teams that trade out of the first round really get annoyed. Especially those that go to team sponsored draft parties.

Well, I'm glad TT drafts for the ball lub and not the ball club's fans. The draft aint a popularity contest. Winning Super Bowls gets one all the popularity in the world, as TT can testify to.

Personally, I don't watch the draft only to see who the Packers select, though that is always the highlight. I'm interested to see who the NFC teams pick, especially the North teams. I also really get into who trades what to whom and what happens with the picks. I'm a draft junkie!

MadScientist
04-25-2011, 10:53 AM

Well, I'm glad TT drafts for the ball lub and not the ball club's fans. The draft aint a popularity contest. Winning Super Bowls gets one all the popularity in the world, as TT can testify to.

As a fan, I'd say drafting for Super Bowl wins is drafting for the fans. Superbowl parties are much better than draft parties.

Fritz
04-25-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm with Bretsky - I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers go into this season (if there is one) with only three or four drafted rookie picks but a couple of #2's or 3's next year.

But as others have said, that ultimately matters only if the guys you pick are good. However, most people here now believe that, for the most part, TT picks well.

Tarlam!
04-25-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm with Bretsky - I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers go into this season (if there is one) with only three or four drafted rookie picks. Most people here now believe that, for the most part, TT picks well.

Fixed. Trade up well and often, TT.

Guiness
04-25-2011, 02:52 PM

Turning the draft into a 3 day affair is ridiculous.

MJZiggy
04-25-2011, 09:28 PM

I was going to call it among the dumbest decisions they've made in recent history, but this sums it up nicely too.

Bretsky
04-25-2011, 09:31 PM
It depends on how much fans are into the draft. I know a lot of people who have plans already made for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I think the ratings will surprise

Guiness
04-25-2011, 10:09 PM
It depends on how much fans are into the draft. I know a lot of people who have plans already made for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I think the ratings will surprise

That would take too much time away from "Diners, Drive-Inn's and Dives"

Lurker64
04-25-2011, 10:10 PM

The three day format, however, is better than the "Day 1 is rounds 1 and 2, Day 2 is rounds 3-7" format. A five round day is hard for even the hardcore draft fans to stomach. I really think that the problem with the 3-day format is the placement. If Day 1 were friday night, and days 2 and 3 took place on Saturday and Sunday that would be eminently preferable.

The best format, however, was the "Day 1 is rounds 1-3, Day 2 is rounds 4-7" format.

Tarlam!
04-25-2011, 11:03 PM
What Lurker said.