DE Aaron Kampman
LB A.J. Hawk
LB Nick Barnett
LB Abdul Hodge, Brady Poppinga
CB Al Harris, Ahmad Carroll
CB Charles Woodson, Mike Hawkins
S Nick Collins, Tyrone Culver
S Marquand Manuel, Marviel Underwood

8-8 would be a great year this year, but if we have a good offseason, we can challenge next year. We'll have a ton of money, and most of our guys are locked up (the guys listed above are signed or RFAs next year--except for Ahman). We can concentrate on getting an RB, another WR, DE, another CB, and probably a PK in FA or the draft, and then fill other roster spots with draft picks. Thompson couldn't do much last year, but if he has a good offseason next year, it's very conceivable that this team could contend after a two year downtick. A lot of these guys will be heading into their second and third years.

RashanGary
08-11-2006, 03:33 PM
If Favre comes back yes. If it's Rodgers it's probably another year to get things together fully.

Cheesehead Craig
08-11-2006, 03:34 PM
I agree with you that the Packers at 8-8 this year would be a great year. TT is doing a good job to get the depth back and build with youth. Plus, his getting the team cap back into alignment where you can go out and get FA is big to sustained success.

BlueBrewer
08-11-2006, 03:45 PM
I truly believe that we can be better than .500

RashanGary
08-11-2006, 03:48 PM
The Packers look to be establishing a good, young, up and coming core. They won't be playoff ready for a year or two. Rodgers career looks bright. Favres twilight looks dim. You never know untill they hit the field, but I don't see a good team right now. I see some good pieces that are a year or two away from making a real difference.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-11-2006, 03:49 PM
I truly believe that we can be better than .500

I agree, looking at that roster theres not many holes, only some question marks.

sharpe1027
08-11-2006, 04:03 PM
While they are clearly not a dominate team, there's enough reason to believe that they could be .500 or better.

First, their schedule looks favorable (although its difficult to know for cure good the other teams will be).
Second, they haven't lost much from last year (considering Walker didn't play anway).
Third, they have a number of new players that could be better than what we had last year, and if not, then we are no worse off. For example, if Woodson sucks, play Carroll = same as last year.

The biggest questions are whether MM is an improvement, the same or worse than the Sherminator and whether the new blocking scheme will pay dividends.

Personally I think they will end up 8-8 or 9-7.

pbmax
08-11-2006, 04:08 PM
I am with Christl on the offense. The receiver picture (WR and TE) has me worried. Scheme and Favre will make do, but against good defenses, these boys are going to struggle.

Comes down to defense really taking a step up against the run and the running game beating teams to death. There are a lot of ifs.

RashanGary
08-11-2006, 04:14 PM
7-9

Cheesehead Craig
08-11-2006, 04:31 PM
7-9
This is my feeling as well Greg, that's why I agreed with Harvey that 8-8 would be a great year.

MadtownPacker
08-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Welcome to the forum Cheesehead Craig but you gotta know that the Pack will win in week 1 against the bears and go on to win the division with a 9-7 record. :D

vince
08-11-2006, 06:33 PM
What was a fairly porous defense in the recent past now looks pretty solid, deep and young.

I'm optimistic about Colledge, Spitz and Wells on the interior of the o-line for the long term. Obviously, they'll have a lot of (under fire) learning to do, but each of them has the physical makeup, the mentality, and the skills to do very well in our scheme.

IMO, Thompson's next order of business for the future is: 1. retool the aging, offensive skilled positions - especially running back, and 2. build more depth at all the O-line positions.

I haven't looked at next year's free agent crop, but with the cap space we'll have, I'd say the NFL will see a return to glory from the 2007 Green Bay Packers.

woodbuck27
08-11-2006, 07:54 PM
The Packers look to be establishing a good, young, up and coming core. They won't be playoff ready for a year or two. Rodgers career looks bright. Favres twilight looks dim. You never know untill they hit the field, but I don't see a good team right now. I see some good pieces that are a year or two away from making a real difference.

"Favre's twilight looks dim" GregJennings

OK. Here it comes.

The last thing you have to worry about GregJennings, or in anyway be concerned with, is predicting anything less than a solid performance from Brett Favre in 2006.

If what I'm seeing to date in this off season, is properly acted upon by OUR GM, from now till season's end and into next season. Favre willl play one more season. Maybe when he breaks Dan Marino's record for TD's passing he will hang em, but I see more than that in Favre.

Right now we have an OC who won't stand for any shoddy play.

Right now it appears that Ahman Green will make a successful comeback and Samkon Gado looks for real.

Right now OUR OL is working very hard to get ready.

Right now WR's DD and Greg Jennings look awesome.

Right now OUR Defence is healthy and on paper is more formidable than last season, with better experience, acquaintence with the defensive scheme and depth.

Right now I see some problems at WR (Depth) and TE (the position overall). Will Bubba be ready and will Donald Lee catch the ball more consistently?

Even as it is, Brett Favre will have huge games in 2006 and it will get better.

This is Brett Favre and we are the Green Bay Packers.