PDA

View Full Version : CATCHING THE FALLING STAR ???????????????? WHO MIGHT IT BE ????

Bretsky
04-27-2011, 10:28 PM
I've been debating long and hard why in the world TT would stay at pick 32
It's common knowledge that teams will want to trade up to secure a QB around here
Most know that Hoody has pick 33 (acquired for pick 89 last year) will try to auction that pick to the highest bidder

So if TT has players graded out pretty similar....and has picking such as Brooks Reed or Ijalana or Carpenter or Watkins sitting there at pick 32 to debate from, it makes a ton of sense to trade down and either pick up a high 4th or maybe a future 3rd along with somebody's second round pick

UNLESS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

there is a falling star, which would be another great scenario

For evidence on how grabbing that clear BPA/falling star can work for your future, see Aaron Rodgers............

So my question to the draft mob is........if you look at the picks normally going between picks 15-30.......and you had to predict a few guys who could be categorized as "falling stars" that fall into TT's lap kind of like Buluga did last year, who will they be ???

Who is expected to go higher and falls into Green Bay's laps, and causes TT to make the pick instead of trade down ?

The two that keep sticking out for me would be DE/DT Wilkerson, or Mark Ingram.

Who are your falling stars that could fall into our laps ???

As a FYI, many love McGinn's work and he's accurately predicated Green Bay's pick often in the past.

Tonight Bob McGinn published his mock draft and with the 32nd pick in the 2011 draft Bob McGinn predicted GB picks

Bretsky
04-27-2011, 10:28 PM
MARK INGRAM

Bretsky
04-27-2011, 11:27 PM
a couple clips from another Packer Beat Writer Silverstein
He won't take Houston after the positive drug test and I think Ayers goes mid second round. Sherrod is a very solid pick, but to me he's more of a 32-40 selection where Ingram is more of a 20-32 pick. If there's any chance he can take Ingram, I think he does it. I think Ingram's definitely on his radar.

I think an ideal situation would be if RB Mark Ingram dropped to 32. I think Thompson would have to take him. He could be a 1,000-yard rusher for the next five seasons. I do think that aside from someone like Ingram or Bowers dropping to the end of the round, there won't be much difference between 32 and 40. Thompson could definitely pit some teams who are interested in Mallett or Dalton and make out with a valuable extra pick. If I were him, I'd shoot for a No. 1 next year.

I swear these guys are PR members.............lol

Tarlam!
04-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Unlike the traditional thinkers, i believe TT will trade up if a star is falling, not down. I believe this because of what happened the year he went up and drafted CMIII. If the current end of the lockout means he can trade players during the draft and sign undrafted free agents, I am even more convinced of this.

I think after winning the Big Dance with a lot of 2nd and a few 3rd stingers, TT will aim to add quality rather than quantity. I have a difficult time thinking he comes back to GB with 9 or more drafted rookies.

wootah
04-28-2011, 03:23 AM
I think after winning the Big Dance with a lot of 2nd and a few 3rd stingers, TT will aim to add quality rather than quantity. I have a difficult time thinking he comes back to GB with 9 or more drafted rookies.

I agree, but he can also achieve that without trading up: he might go the New England way and trade picks for higher picks in next years draft. Since we have the last pick in each round, picks in higher rounds in 2012 might become some extremely good deals.

Gunakor
04-28-2011, 03:59 AM
I like Ingram. I do. But I'm not sold on the necessity of a new RB or, tbh, any offensive position outside of LT. Furthermore, I'm generally against selecting a RB in the first round of any draft. They're a dime a dozen. You get more bang for your buck selecting an offensive lineman in the first.

If a solid prospective LG or LT falls I'd consider it, but to be honest, I'm more concerned with turning our #2 ranked defense from last season into our #1 ranked defense for years to come. That even figuring the eventual departures of Cullen Jenkins and Charles Woodson. That's where I'm at. So I'm looking at cornerbacks and rush linebackers.

What's the deal with Justin Houston? I'm hearing now that he's fallen out of the first round in most projections. A falling star to catch perhaps?

packrulz
04-28-2011, 05:34 AM
I don't like Houston, he can't stop smoking weed for a few weeks during the combine? Jolly should be enough reason to shy away from him. He should also avoid Jimmy Smith. I like Ingram because I think he's a solid player and Grants contract is excessive if you ask me:
2011: $3.5 million, 2012: Free Agent. In addition to his $3.5 million base salary, Grant is slated to receive a $1.75 million roster bonus on the 15th day of the new league year, a $250,000 workout bonus, and another $250,000 roster bonus in the 2011 offseason.
If he stays put I like Sherrod, Clayborn, Heyward, or Reed, I could see TT moving up to get Wilkerson. There might be 4 QB's taken in the first round, so some good players could slip to GB.

Tarlam!
04-28-2011, 06:24 AM
What I don't like is that teams will want to move up for their QB, because that makes it more expensive for TT to do it. You know, supply and demand and all that.

Hopefully, the Appeals court will rule to either stay Nelson's decision or confirm that the lockout is indeed over by tonight. That way, TT will know if he can legally trade Barnett and Flynn or not. If he can, that might give him ammo to go up into the teens with his LB or better with his backup QB. I have to think Flynn is better than any of the second tier guys. In fact, I like him better than any QB in the draft.

If TT does move down, I hope he bundles his strength into the 2nd to 5th rounds, using his 6th and 2 7ths.

RashanGary
04-28-2011, 06:43 AM
A #1 next year from a QB hungry team would be great. I doubt we get that chance though.

Guiness
04-28-2011, 07:01 AM
a couple clips from another Packer Beat Writer Silverstein
He won't take Houston after the positive drug test and I think Ayers goes mid second round. Sherrod is a very solid pick, but to me he's more of a 32-40 selection where Ingram is more of a 20-32 pick. If there's any chance he can take Ingram, I think he does it. I think Ingram's definitely on his radar.

I think an ideal situation would be if RB Mark Ingram dropped to 32. I think Thompson would have to take him. He could be a 1,000-yard rusher for the next five seasons. I do think that aside from someone like Ingram or Bowers dropping to the end of the round, there won't be much difference between 32 and 40. Thompson could definitely pit some teams who are interested in Mallett or Dalton and make out with a valuable extra pick. If I were him, I'd shoot for a No. 1 next year.

I swear these guys are PR members.............lol

I guess there's a small chance Ingram falls to us (hell, he did in the first PR draft, and those were some savy quasi-GM's) but to think Bowers will fall that far you have to be smoking more drugs than the double-rainbow guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI

green_bowl_packer
04-28-2011, 08:26 AM
I guess there's a small chance Ingram falls to us (hell, he did in the first PR draft, and those were some savy quasi-GM's) but to think Bowers will fall that far you have to be smoking more drugs than the double-rainbow guy.

I feel qualified to reply to this! I was in the campsite next to this asshole who's screaming at 5am. j/k A lot of mocks have Bowers dropping to 20, now if TT wants to go up and get him that's another story.

Could be a number of quality dudes that could drop to us - or not if TT trades back with one of these QB hungry teams trying to get back into rd1.

I could see several Double Rainbow Guy like reactions of hysterical blubbering, if TT traded out of rd1 after investing 4 plus hours watching with no payoff until the next day. OR if he traded up to snatch someone unexpected.

It'd show me that TT is keeping the foot on the pedal coming off the SB, grabbing potential star quality players. Remember all the IR guys coming back? We are stacked. I thought the team was hard to make last year.

Smeefers
04-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Unlike the traditional thinkers, i believe TT will trade up if a star is falling, not down. I believe this because of what happened the year he went up and drafted CMIII. If the current end of the lockout means he can trade players during the draft and sign undrafted free agents, I am even more convinced of this.

I would absolutely love it if TT took quality over quantity, but I really don't think that's how he plays the draft game. It's always been a mix for him. I'm sure we'll end up drafting 7 or 8 guys who we've barely heard of. I'm willing to bet one of them will either be a TE or a FB... cause that's just how TT roles.

Tarlam!
04-28-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm willing to bet one of them will either be a TE or a FB... cause that's just how TT roles.

That's BOMNF!! :grin:

DonHutson
04-28-2011, 06:53 PM
The other guy that could drop within range of a trade up is Bowers. Would the Packers take him? Assuming they think the knee is sound, is he a fit? He's a bit small for an every down 3-4 end, and I don't hear him mentioned as an OLB prospect. However, I have to think Capers is more than capable of deploying a weapon like that in some fashion.

Big risk, high reward type.

I like Ingram quite a bit as well.

Freak Out
04-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Bowers is the guy who had the micro fracture in one of his knees correct? Jesus.....could be another JH or.......?

Bretsky
04-28-2011, 10:54 PM

and he fell

swede
04-28-2011, 10:55 PM
and he fell

But as we noted in our tradeless mock, in real life someone would swoop in to snatch him before he could ever slip that far.

Bretsky
04-28-2011, 10:58 PM
But as we noted in our tradeless mock, in real life someone would swoop in to snatch him before he could ever slip that far.

I was actually referring to his classic quote about the possibility of Bowers falling

digitaldean
04-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Andy Dalton is the falling star along with Bowers. Dalton is going to be a steal in the 2nd round for someone. Washington, Cincy or SF would be smart to snag him up if they could. Bowers is a crap shoot with the medical issue.

swede
04-28-2011, 11:02 PM
I was actually referring to his classic quote about the possibility of Bowers falling

:oops: Oops...

Fritz
04-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Wasn't Sherrod picked in the 20-26 range in several mocks? Does he count as falling?

Bretsky
04-28-2011, 11:07 PM
most mocks had him going between 26-35. I don't think I saw him before 25. I would have predicated he would go to the Bears with Carimi gone. He got picked about where he should IMO.
A good pick there with fair value. Not sure he contributes much next year but hopefully we got our LT after Clifton retires. Good person....athletic....smooth...fluid....needs more strength

Guiness
04-29-2011, 01:40 AM

:oops: Oops...

:oops:Seconded...

To round 2 he goes...