PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL DRAFT DAY THREAD FOR THE SUPERBOWL CHAMPION GB PACKERS

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Guiness
04-29-2011, 01:29 AM
I think he is going to have a place on this team, and will most likely backup at both tackle spots for 2011, doesn't look like a guard to me. Athletic and can move. Sure he has to learn to protect in a pro style offense but it was a safe pic. Unfortunatley the Packers had no use for Bowers from Clemson. I seriously can't believe that 32 team passed on a guy because of torn cartilledge in the knee. Even if the guy missed 2011 he would still provide pass rushing and run defense from the 7 tech position for years. Best guy remaining.

There has to be some pretty solid truth to the rumour that his knee is bone on bone. I haven't seen anything else derogatory about him (character, roids, etc) so why else does he fall so far?

I wouldn't have minded the Packers taking a flyer on him - he was supposed to be top 5. I don't know how Quinn goes before him after a year away from football, not to mention Clayborn, with his condition.

packrulz
04-29-2011, 05:02 AM
Early run on quarterbacks story of first round

By Rob Rang
NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
April 29, 2011Tell Rob your opinion!
SEATTLE -- Cam Newton went to Carolina with the first overall pick. Check.

It was the drama that unfolded with the other quarterbacks that will ultimately go down as the story of the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft.

The Tennessee Titans pulled a stunner with the eighth overall pick, selecting former Washington Husky Jake Locker, while Missouri's Blaine Gabbert idled in the Green Room.

Gabbert didn't have to wait long as the Jacksonville Jaguars traded up with the Washington Redskins to select the Missouri passer, graded by NFLDraftScout.com as the top quarterback in the draft and the No. 10 prospect overall (Newton was No. 11).

Before fans could catch their collective breath, the Minnesota Vikings continued the early run on passers, taking Florida State's Christian Ponder. Ponder, despite having his arm strength questioned by many evaluators, is widely considered the most pro-ready of this year's quarterbacks due to the pro-style offense he ran with the Seminoles. Despite being the fourth quarterback selected, he could wind up the first to actually win a starting job in the NFL.

TCU quarterback Andy Dalton, who had been hyped as one of the hottest prospects in the days leading up to the draft, fell out of the first round entirely. The Cincinnati Bengals could wind up being the big winners due to his fall. Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden is thought to be especially high on Dalton. Considering the team took Georgia wideout A.J. Green with the No. 4 overall pick, Dalton could be an ideal fit as the team looks to transition from an offense based on the combination of Carson Palmer and Chad Ochocinco.

While the quarterbacks were unquestionably the marquee story, the run on pass rushers was equally impressive.

The Broncos surprised many with the selection of Texas A&M outside linebacker Von Miller at No. 2. Miller's explosive speed off the edge, when combined with the return to health of 2009 sack leader Elvis Dumervil, could give the Broncos as explosive a set of edge rushers as there is in the league.

With Miller off the board, the San Francisco 49ers gambled on the upside of 20-year-old pass rusher Aldon Smith from Missouri with the seventh overall pick. While there is no denying Smith's talents, many talent evaluators viewed the former Tiger as a defensive end in the 4-3 alignment, not a likely convert as an outside linebacker in San Francisco's 3-4 scheme. At 6-feet-5 and 255 pounds, Smith has the length, but perhaps not the fluidity most teams are looking for as a rush linebacker. Don't be surprised if a pair of pass rushers selected in the teens -- end Robert Quinn with the Rams (No. 14 overall) and outside linebacker convert Ryan Kerrigan with the Washington Redskins (No. 16 overall) -- wind up making a more immediate impact.

Talent trumps need

Considering the Arizona Cardinals and Detroit Lions already feature young, talented players at cornerback and defensive tackle respectively, their selections of LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson (No. 5) and Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley (No. 13 overall) rank as two of the first round's most intriguing selections.

With the Cardinals expected to address their deficiency at quarterback through free agency or trade and the Lions having used the No. 1 overall two years ago on Matthew Stafford, the two clubs obviously didn't have to reach for a passer. As such, they were in the envious position of being able to take the "best player available."

The shutdown duo of Patrick Peterson and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie could make the Cardinals an instant contender in the infinitely winnable NFC West. Likewise, pairing Fairley, the most talented defensive lineman in the 2011 draft, with second-year All-Pro defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and end Kyle Vanden Bosch could make the Lions a surprisingly dangerous threat to take a leap in the NFC North.

Saints march double speed

As the only team to use two first-round picks Thursday, the New Orleans Saints are the easy "winners" of the opening frame of the 2011 draft. It wasn't just the quantity of their picks, however, but the quality that clearly demonstrated the Saints weren't going to take their surprising early exit from the 2010 playoffs lying down.

California's Cameron Jordan was viewed by many as an ideal fit as a defensive end in a 3-4 scheme, but had shown the burst upfield and strength at the point of attack to be a standout in the Cincinnati Bengals' four-man front at the Senior Bowl. Considering the variety of fronts used by Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams -- one of the league's more aggressive and creative schemers -- Jordan could pay off big.

The flashier pick came four selections later when the Saints traded back into the first round (courtesy of the New England Patriots) to pick Alabama running back Mark Ingram. While Ingram might seem to be a luxury pick considering the presence of Reggie Bush, Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory and Lynell Hamilton, the durability, toughness and ball security demonstrated by the 2009 Heisman Trophy winner throughout his career makes him an intriguing fit for Sean Payton. Perhaps the man who might celebrate the pick the most is Drew Brees, whose career could be extended with a back of Ingram's versatility and durability.

Downer for Da'Quan

For all of the big winners on draft day, Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers' sad slide out of the first round was the toughest story of the evening.

Bowers' fall wasn't unanticipated, as teams' concerns about his surgically repaired right knee had been well documented.

While the injury and subsequent rehabilitation were obviously enough to scare teams off in the first round, Bowers isn't likely to slip far into the second. The nation's most productive pass rusher with 15.5 sacks, at some point Bowers' production will simply be too tempting for teams to continue to allow him to slip. With the Denver Broncos (No. 36 overall), Cleveland Browns (No. 37), and Tennessee Titans (No. 39) among the first seven picks of the second and all needing help at defensive end, Bowers could still wind up a top 10 pick ... unfortunately it could just come a day later than was originally anticipated.

Rob Rang is a Senior Analyst for NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

SkinBasket
04-29-2011, 06:27 AM
Also, Carolina has just bankrupted their franchise.

As did ATL. Love seeing teams on the cusp kill their future.

vince
04-29-2011, 06:52 AM
Even if Watkins was there, I think I'd still want to take a shot at Sherrod. In my mind, an OG has to be superman before you take him in round 1, and Watkins ain't got no cape.

And this stuff about Sherrod needing more bulk -- c'mon. I don't think Cliffy is some weight-room monster, but he plays smart and fluid with good feet and lots of smarts, the same way Sherrod plays. And after all, Sherrod is no punk, he was a team captain, played in an athletic conference, and he'll get stronger, so I really have a good feeling that this will play out well.
I'm reading some reports that list Sherrod at 305 and others listing him at 320. Did he put on weight for the combine and can he keep it on?

Fritz
04-29-2011, 06:56 AM
As did ATL. Love seeing teams on the cusp kill their future.

Agreed. Just saw what Atlanta gave up - the farm! - for this guy. And if you follow Cold Hard Football Facts, one of their favorite theories is that big-play super star wide receivers are less a necessity and more a luxury in the NFL.

So, for Atlanta to give up what they did to get this kid - well, Skin's right, they've bankrupted their future in the hopes that this is the year.

Oh, one more thing - tonight, when the Packers are picking in the third round, let's all heave a sigh of relief that the Packers have that pick instead of the former California Golden Bear running back for whom they did not trade, yet won the Super Bowl.

RashanGary
04-29-2011, 06:57 AM
Sherrod didn't play in a pro-style system. If you look at highly drafted lineman, they typically play for pro-style coaches. There is some extra projection because you can see the athletic ability, but you don't really know how he's going to transfer to a very different game.

Bulaga played for Iowa and they run a college version of our blocking scheme. It was very easy to project if he would be able to do the things we do because he was already doing them.

I've heard a few comments by scouts, liking "where a guy played", especially related to OL. There must be a high bust rate of OL who don't play for the pro-style OL coaches. Ted's a great GM though, I'm sure he did his homework. I'm thinking this guy is a bit more of a project than Bulaga was. If you want him to play LT, I think you have to start him as backup there and keep him there from day one so he has the best chance to be ready if his number is called. I would not bounce this guy around.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Would you classify Wisconsin as pro style? I think a lot of college play spread offenses. Not exactly pro style. Most colleges now have various forms of blocking schemes. When a scout says they like "where a guy played,' I think they are talking about colleges that are known to develop OL. For example, a lot of solid OL have come out of Wisconsin. Scouts are naturally going to like kids from there because there is a proven track record of development and a lot of the kids make the adjustment to the NFL.

Freak Out
04-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Man.....Dilfer just ripped the Vikings hardcore for taking Ponder....said he won't make it.

swede
04-29-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm reading some reports that list Sherrod at 305 and others listing him at 320. Did he put on weight for the combine and can he keep it on?

I think that number came from some info I Frankensteined together for the mock. He was probably 305 heading into the beginning of his junior year, so my guess is that the weight came on gradually.

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2011, 12:58 PM
I think if the Packers force Sherrod to play right away he is going to struggle, with Clifton still on the roster and slated as the starter at left tackle and bulaga on the right side I think Sherrod has time for th coaches to mold him into a player. If he is as smart and agile as the scouts report I think he will be in a year or two to start on either the left or right side.

I guess if I was making a pick strickly on need this one feels right, but passing on the db from Texas was a big move as well

Guiness
04-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Agreed. Just saw what Atlanta gave up - the farm! - for this guy. And if you follow Cold Hard Football Facts, one of their favorite theories is that big-play super star wide receivers are less a necessity and more a luxury in the NFL.

So, for Atlanta to give up what they did to get this kid - well, Skin's right, they've bankrupted their future in the hopes that this is the year.

Oh, one more thing - tonight, when the Packers are picking in the third round, let's all heave a sigh of relief that the Packers have that pick instead of the former California Golden Bear running back for whom they did not trade, yet won the Super Bowl.

lol @ an obscure reference. Lynch? I don't think Desmond played any RB...

That was just stick stupid of Atlanta. Shows what happens when you fall in love with a guy.

Did anyone bother to calculate it on the trade value chart? I don't really care what the chart says though, it was a bad trade.

hoosier
04-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Man.....Dilfer just ripped the Vikings hardcore for taking Ponder....said he won't make it.

http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/8919/viking.jpg

Lurker64
04-29-2011, 02:23 PM
http://artaban7.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/2009-4-22-viking_funeral.jpg

Smeefers
04-29-2011, 02:33 PM
lol @ an obscure reference. Lynch? I don't think Desmond played any RB...

That was just stick stupid of Atlanta. Shows what happens when you fall in love with a guy.

Did anyone bother to calculate it on the trade value chart? I don't really care what the chart says though, it was a bad trade.

Actually, they didn't really fall in love with the guy. They tried the same trade with the bengals for AJ Green and they wouldn't take it (Morons). That more screams of I'll take anybody! Anybody! Just get me a high draft pick for me! Do it! Do it now! Damn the consequences!

I joked about the packers doing this, that they should give up all their picks and move to #1 and pick up Cam. It was a joke, and so was the Falcon's move. Their first, second and fourth this year and their first and forth next year. I think the kitchen sink was thrown in there somewhere too.

Guiness
04-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Actually, they didn't really fall in love with the guy. They tried the same trade with the bengals for AJ Green and they wouldn't take it (Morons). That more screams of I'll take anybody! Anybody! Just get me a high draft pick for me! Do it! Do it now! Damn the consequences!

I joked about the packers doing this, that they should give up all their picks and move to #1 and pick up Cam. It was a joke, and so was the Falcon's move. Their first, second and fourth this year and their first and forth next year. I think the kitchen sink was thrown in there somewhere too.

That makes it even nuttier!

BTW congrats on the 'fuck-less' post