PDA

View Full Version : bengals tried to trade up with packers

packers11
04-29-2011, 10:48 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/203558/report-bengals-tried-to-trade-up-to-no-32 t.t must have really liked his pick or they wernt offering fair compensation... thoughts?

Patler
04-29-2011, 10:55 AM
JSO reported that Thompson said he had no serious discussions in the last hour before their pick, and that he was never offered a 2012 first or second. They provided the following Thompson quote:

"It never was close," he said. "There were some stupid deals offered to us."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/120896269.html

Lurker64
04-29-2011, 11:04 AM
The Bengals are notoriously cheap too, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals offered nothing close to fair value for #32.

SkinBasket
04-29-2011, 11:11 AM
"There were some stupid deals offered to us."

Ouch, if you're one of the GMs he talked to yesterday.

RashanGary
04-29-2011, 11:23 AM
"It never was close," he said. "There were some stupid deals offered to us."

LMAO. . . . Ted has been kind of edgy lately.

Brandon494
04-29-2011, 11:27 AM
TT is the fucking man and fuck anyone whoever doubted him!

Patler
04-29-2011, 11:28 AM

It sounded un-TT-like to me. He is not usually that harsh!

imscott72
04-29-2011, 11:47 AM
LMAO. . . . Ted has been kind of edgy lately.

Lots of long nights will do that to anyone..He has to just absolutely dread draft prep..lol

mraynrand
04-29-2011, 11:50 AM
I bet the Bungles offered a #2 and #4 pick to move up to the Packers #1 to get Dalton

Bretsky
04-29-2011, 04:49 PM
I bet the Bungles offered a #2 and #4 pick to move up to the Packers #1 to get Dalton

I'd bet if the Bungles offered that TT would have probably accepted

Lurker64
04-29-2011, 04:52 PM

I'm not sure. You have to consider that since Buffalo picks before Cincinnati in the second round, and Buffalo has a huge, urgent, and glaring hole at left tackle so it's entirely likely that if TT takes that trade he would not have been able to get Sherrod. If "acquiring an extra fourth round pick" prevents you from getting a 10-year left tackle, you'd feel awfully silly.

Freak Out
04-29-2011, 04:56 PM

Considering they are picking at 35 you are probably right.

Bretsky
04-29-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure. You have to consider that since Buffalo picks before Cincinnati in the second round, and Buffalo has a huge, urgent, and glaring hole at left tackle so it's entirely likely that if TT takes that trade he would not have been able to get Sherrod. If "acquiring an extra fourth round pick" prevents you from getting a 10-year left tackle, you'd feel awfully silly.

IMO we'd be getting similar value to Sherrod five picks later and there would still be a chance he falls.
I'm not his biggest fan, but I'd rather even have Ijalana and an early fourth round pick than Sherrod

jmbarnes101
04-29-2011, 06:01 PM
IMO we'd be getting similar value to Sherrod five picks later and there would still be a chance he falls.
I'm not his biggest fan, but I'd rather even have Ijalana and an early fourth round pick than Sherrod

Where are you going to put the 10 draft picks though? With 13 players coming back we already have a full house. Yes, I understand we have some people at the end we can cut and some free agents but that's an additional 23 bodies that you'd need to find a spot for. I wouldn't doubt it if this was the year TT was looking to acquire a next year's pick plus a 2nd and I still think he'll end up packaging some picks to move up. We just don't need them all.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2011, 06:33 PM

If they were really low balling him, they probably couldn't take too much offense to it.

mission
04-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Lots of long nights will do that to anyone..He has to just absolutely dread draft prep..lol

Naw, he won a Super Bowl. Now TT has his swag on! :lol:

Fritz
04-29-2011, 09:41 PM
I don't think moving down only three spots and getting a fourth in exchange is a "stupid" deal. Even if TT didn't want it, it'd be hard to describe it as a stupid offer. Maybe the Bungals offered a fifth or something.

Tarlam!
04-30-2011, 12:32 AM
I don't think moving down only three spots and getting a fourth in exchange is a "stupid" deal. Even if TT didn't want it, it'd be hard to describe it as a stupid offer. Maybe the Bungals offered a fifth or something.

'cept, TT needs fewer players, not more. Maybe the proposition included 2012 picks; TT is on record (remember the Brady Quinn proposition) as saying he don't roll that way. He mght consider people on the inside "stupid" if they offered future picks to him.

I dunno, but him saying that publicly is very out of character.

mraynrand
04-30-2011, 01:12 AM

I was looking at it from the Bengals standpoint. It would have been a waste for them to move up a couple spots to get the guy they already could get if they just stayed put. But in retrospect it doesn't look quite as stupid as it did when I first suggested it.

Fritz
04-30-2011, 08:19 AM
I do wonder what or whom the "stupid" refrerred to...

digitaldean
04-30-2011, 08:31 AM
My assumption the "stupid" = Mike Brown of the Bengals. Haven't heard too many positives about this guy.

Maybe KYPack can fill us in a little more about him?

Fritz
04-30-2011, 08:44 AM
I wonder if part of TT's reluctnce to trade for future picks might be in part because having so, so many picks - like the Pats do - pushes talent evaluators to take more risks (why not? His upside is huge, but if he doesn't pan out, we've got more picks!). I wonder if TT is a little scared of what so many draft pick riches would do to him?

Scott Campbell
04-30-2011, 08:57 AM
'cept, TT needs fewer players, not more. Maybe the proposition included 2012 picks; TT is on record (remember the Brady Quinn proposition) as saying he don't roll that way. He mght consider people on the inside "stupid" if they offered future picks to him.

I dunno, but him saying that publicly is very out of character.

With the inability to sign undrafted guys after the draft this year, I think there is a premium on quantity of picks.

KYPack
04-30-2011, 09:18 AM
My assumption the "stupid" = Mike Brown of the Bengals. Haven't heard too many positives about this guy.

Maybe KYPack can fill us in a little more about him?

Mike Brown still doesn't have a cell phone, for instance. He is not a stupid man, he sued the IRS and won the suit. He really is a brilliant guy, he screwed the other owners out of their share of the Bengals and is the sole owner (the Brown family, that is)

In football, he is rooted in the fifties (maybe the forties). The Bengals have no GM and their overall organization is a skeleton compared to most NFL teams. He isn't exactly the cheapie that he is portrayed and then again he is. The Bengals usually rank in the middle in salary expenditure. For many years, the Bengals made the players buy the shoes that the shoe manufacturers GAVE the team.

He is an excellent negotiator and a real bitch to deal with in any business proposition.

The Bengals will never have great team success in the playoffs (playoffs?) until a modern NFL organization takes over that team.

Tarlam!
04-30-2011, 09:27 AM
I wonder if part of TT's reluctnce to trade for future picks might be in part because having so, so many picks (...)

He stated he won't do it because he can't see one day into the future, let alone one year. He said there are so many variables to consider in the present draft, it was impractical to compound that with thinking in terms of next year's. IIRC, he categorically ruled that shit out (as much as TT commits to any behaviour).

With the inability to sign undrafted guys after the draft this year, I think there is a premium on quantity of picks.

It's the same for all teams and the Packers only have a few losses. One team, I think NO, have 14 UFAs. Besides, it makes no difference - they can't train if they don't have a contract. Even if TT brings home 20 rooks, he can't sign 'em until the lockout is over. Neither can anyone else.