10: 1.56
Reps: 20
Broad: 09'06"
Shuttle: 4.15
Cone: 6.91

Lurker64
04-29-2011, 09:24 PM
NFP:

A bigger, well-strapped together back through his upper body and possesses a strong looking base. Looks a bit thin through the claves, but overall runs hard and has a physical element to his game. Displays an average first step when asked to press the hole and does a nice job lowering his pad level into contact and can push the line. However, lacks much wiggle or lateral shiftiness to his game when asked to make defenders miss or be sudden at the line. More of a weaver who is real sharp or sudden and has a tendency to gear down when trying to make a cut at full speed. But he does possess decent footwork for a big man when asked to pick his way in tighter areas. Does a nice job maintaining balance, keeping his pad level down and can step through a defender or break and arm tackle at the line.

Isn't a real seasoned pass catcher, but does showcases the ability to block in the pass game. Is patient, does a nice job keeping his head on a swivel and identifying his target quickly. Looks natural sliding his feet, sitting into his stance and initially taking on his man. But isn't real heavy handed, struggles to stay engaged on the block though the play.

Impression: Possesses good size, runs hard and likes to finish through contact. However, lacks a second gear, isn't real shifty and is just limited in what he can give an NFL team.

Grade: 5.5 Z (5.5 Free Agent with Athletic Ability, Character and Competitiveness. Prospect Lacks required height for his position)

Lurker64
04-29-2011, 09:26 PM
ESPN:

Overall Football Traits
Production: 3
2007 (Butte CC): 519 yards, 3 TD. 2008: 1,037 yards, 14 TD; 2 receiving TD. 2009: (13/0)Transferred to Hawaii86 carries, 453 yards (5.3), 2 TD; 11 catches, 98 yards (8.9), 1 TD. 2010: (14/14) 146 carries, 1,199 yards (8.2), 18 TD; 27 catches, 363 yards (13.4), 1 TD.

Height-Weight-Speed: 2
Ideal size for NFL running back and better than average top-end speed for size.

Durability: 2
No injury history to our knowledge. Suffered a non-football related concussion in 2010

Intangibles: 3
Has a daughter. Is mature and has a solid work ethic. There are some concerns regarding mental capacity.

Running Back Specific Traits

Competitiveness: 4
Runs hard. Fights for yards after contact. Wants the ball in his hands and runs with passion. But ball security has been an issue. Carries the ball away from his frame in traffic at times and has had fumbling issues, including twice in EW Shrine game. Needs to learn to transfer ball (right arm dominant). In last two seasons, he fumbled eith times in 271 touches.

Vision Patience: 3
Shows adequate vision and patience behind the line of scrimmage. Instincts are adequate but not great.

Agility/Acceleration: 2
Has quick feet for his size. Shows good initial burst to the hole and has some shiftiness to his running style. Is quick and smooth for aq bigger back, but not a one cut-and-go type of runner. Top speed is adequate but not elite. Does not show explosive second-gear when he hits daylight.

Power/Balance: 4
Runs a bit high. Does not run with a wide base and is chopped down too easily at times. Runs hard and more often than not knows when to lower his shoulder and deliver a blow. But does not run with natural pad level and is not a powerful runner for his size.

Passing Game: 2
Excellent experience in the passing game. Natural pass catcher with soft hands. Can pluck on the run with no wasted movement. Reliable route runner and knows how to come back to his QB. Willing and tough enough to pass protect in the NFL. Has good size and generally is a reliable pass pro. Not as physical as we would like to see, though. Needs to learn to get feet set, get low and anchor versus bigger blitzing LB's.

Lurker64
04-29-2011, 09:27 PM
CBS Sports

Overview:
Green's surprising burst, quickness and solid hands out of the backfield have drawn some late attention from NFL scouts, but he lacks the vision and instincts to be an every-down back at the next level.

This is not to say that he doesn't have a place on an NFL roster. After all, how many NFL teams use a true every-down back?

Green's size and straight-ahead running style could make him a nice short-yardage or even fullback option, and his natural pass-catching ability provides the versatility that teams seemingly can't get enough of in today's pass-heavy NFL. Teams looking to add a running back should give Green strong consideration between rounds four and six.

Analysis:
Positives: Big, tough, physical cut-and-go back with a knack for lowering his shoulder and creating contact. Decisive, hard runner who knows where he's going as soon as he gets the ball. Reaches top speed quickly with a quick first step and strong initial burst toward the hole. Keeps his weight forward and feet churning, rarely falling back or losing yardage. Quick feet for a back of his size. Willingly engages defenders along the sideline to earn the extra yard rather than stepping out of bounds. Soft, reliable hands as a pass-catcher. Displays good balance and body control, extending his arms to catch balls thrown outside of his upper torso. Nice concentration to secure passes in the flat before looking upfield. Isn't afraid to take on defensive linemen in pass protection and maintains route accuracy through contact from linebackers when running routes in the flat.

Negatives: One-dimensional, straight-ahead runner who lacks vision and recognition to cutback and extend runs. Too willing to initiate contact in one-on-one situations, often lowering his shoulder when he has the space to elude tackler laterally. Leans too far forward at times and will lower his head prematurely, rendering him off balance. Short, quick steps and low knees leave him vulnerable to arm tackles below the waist, and easier to bring down than his size would indicate he should be. A one-speed back, lacking a top gear to pull away from second-level defenders. Lacks patience to allow holes to develop, often outrunning his blockers.

Lurker64
04-29-2011, 09:28 PM
SI:

Biography: Junior college transfer awarded all-Conference honors as a senior with rushing totals of 146/1199/18 and 27/363/1 receiving. Rushing totals the prior year included 86/453/2.

Negatives: Not a physical runner and tends to finish plays out of bounds. Does not display much strength carrying the ball. Must pick up the blocking intensity.

Analysis: Green is a physically gifted ball carrier with the athletic skills and running abilities to make it at the next level. He offers potential as a second back in the NFL if he rounds out his game and carries the ball with more physicality.

Grade: 2.33 (Practice Squad -- Late-round draft pick or priority free agent that must develop his talents on the practice squad )

Fritz
04-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Cripes. One report says he's a physical runner. The next one says he's not. Another report says he runs with good pad level. The next one says he runs too high.

Does anybody know anything for real about this kid or are there two Alex Greens???

gbpackfan
04-29-2011, 09:38 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/121007289.html

I know it is a highlight reel, but damn, it is better than most RBS! Nice.

3irty1
04-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Shit those Measurables are pretty damn impressive.

Alex Green
Weight: 225
40: 4.45
20: 2.60
Vert: 32

Adrian Peterson
Weight: 217
40: 4.40
20: 2.58
10: 1.53
Reps: NA
Vert: 38.5
Broad: 10'07"
Shuttle: 4.40
Cone: 7.09

Compared to a guy we've all seen play a bunch, Peterson clearly has a superior second gear and a special ability to explode out of his cuts but our boy is pretty nimble for a big RB and is a pretty impressive size/speed combo himself. Maybe a not-so-poor-man's Steven Jackson? Kind of runs like Arian Foster

He's got very low miles which we know TT loves. Only 232 College carries.
Has zero recorded fumbles.
Averaged 8.2 YPC in 2010 :shock:
Had 18 rushing TDs :shock:

Lurker64
04-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Cripes. One report says he's a physical runner. The next one says he's not. Another report says he runs with good pad level. The next one says he runs too high.

Does anybody know anything for real about this kid or are there two Alex Greens???

When this sort of thing happens, the real explanation is that almost nobody has scouted this kid and a lot of people are just bullshitting because they need scouting reports on everybody. Mayock loves him, as does TT apparently. Both those guys have earned the benefit of the doubt.

gbpackfan
04-29-2011, 09:56 PM
From rotoworld.com

Packers selected Hawaii RB Alex Green with the No. 96 overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft.
Another reason to tap the breaks on the out-of-control James Starks hype. "Alex Green is going to an impact player this year for the Packers," predicts NFL Network's Mike Mayock. Although Green's absurd 8.2 YPC average was inflated by the Warriors' spread offense, he's an explosive downhill runner with impressive size, elusiveness, and underrated receiving skills. We love coach Mike McCarthy's new offensive toys as the rich get richer. Green won't have major fantasy value as a rookie, but his long-term future is just as bright as Starks'.

Love to hear this!

OS PA
04-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Measurables
Height: 6002
Weight: 225
Arms: 32"
Hands: 9 1/8"
20: 2.60

Height: 6002
Weight: 231
Reps: 16
Broad: 09'10
Cone: 7.03

A certain NFL running back that's had a pretty good career. Ps: They look alike too.

get louder at lambeau
04-29-2011, 10:09 PM

From one of the reports above-

Carries the ball away from his frame in traffic at times and has had fumbling issues, including twice in EW Shrine game. Needs to learn to transfer ball (right arm dominant). In last two seasons, he fumbled eith times in 271 touches.

swede
04-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by 3irty1
From one of the reports above: Carries the ball away from his frame in traffic at times and has had fumbling issues, including twice in EW Shrine game. Needs to learn to transfer ball (right arm dominant). In last two seasons, he fumbled eith times in 271 touches.

I guess they weren't recorded.

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2011, 10:32 PM
I saw the highlight film on Green on JSO and I was impressed. Big with speed good vision to find the hole at the line of scrimmage and explodes threw the hole. Great explosion, burst of speed. I like the fact that he will run a heck of a lot of draws for the Packers. Good third down back for 2011.

I would love an undercover report on some of these draft projections and write ups on players. A lot of it is a crock of shit.

Lurker64
04-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Read This, Be Smarter: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/varsity-numbers/2011/varsity-numbers-save-your-pick

RashanGary
04-29-2011, 10:54 PM
I liked the Sherrod and Cobb picks. I love this pick. Ted said after the draft that his tape was special. I'm no scout, but I'm pretty sure there's some adage that goes, "he is what his tape says" or something to that effect. Anyway, calling a guys tape special is short for calling a guys game special. I've listened to every public word TT has said in 6 years and I'm pretty sure he's only said that one other time, Clay Matthews. The other time he got close was with Josh Sitton, when he said, "he blocks his guy every time." It doesn't take a genius to figure out what that means.

But anyway, I like to listen to Ted and I think I'm getting to the point, 6 years later, that I feel pretty confident in actually understanding his cryptic pattners. Ted Thompson thinks this guy is special. I'm stoked about this guy. I think this is a rich keep getting richer pick. AR gets an OT, WR and a RB that Thompson seems to think is a special player. Oh, and he's the best RB athlete in the draft according to Waldo.

Yeah, I'm feelin good.

King Friday
04-30-2011, 12:57 AM
Kid has to learn to hold on to the ball, but IMO Green will become the best pure runner on the roster the minute he signs his contract. Very good pick...our offense has the chance to become virtually unstoppable at this point. Add Grant and Finley back to the group...plus our top 3 draft picks. Rodgers has to be licking his chops waiting for this lockout to get over with.

Freak Out
04-30-2011, 01:13 AM
Who hired TT? Harlan before he left right? Thanks Harlan and thanks Ted. I am very excited about the three picks so far.

bobblehead
04-30-2011, 04:47 AM
So...goodbye to Grant and BJack from what I can gather. Starks and Green will be our new two headed monster by the sounds of it, with a cheap option at the third RB slot.

Tarlam!
04-30-2011, 05:39 AM
Don't agree Bobble. Grant will play at least this season, there's absolutely no reason IMHO to cut him and I doubt TT would get value in a trade. Unless he doesn't perform in camp at all, of course. He still doesn't have a lot of wear on those legs, does he? He's been more than decent when he plays, just less so on short yardage.

As for B-Jack, it's a question of cash and how many RB's look like making the team. I don't much like Nance's chances....

vince
04-30-2011, 06:10 AM
As with most TT picks, the deeper you look, the more you like. Thanks for that link Lurk, and THANKSTED.

Bretsky
04-30-2011, 06:37 AM
I think it's a bye bye Grant after one more yr and bye bye J squared now

packrulz
04-30-2011, 07:33 AM
Don't agree Bobble. Grant will play at least this season, there's absolutely no reason IMHO to cut him and I doubt TT would get value in a trade. Unless he doesn't perform in camp at all, of course. He still doesn't have a lot of wear on those legs, does he? He's been more than decent when he plays, just less so on short yardage.

As for B-Jack, it's a question of cash and how many RB's look like making the team. I don't much like Nance's chances....

I think Grant's contract is a reason to cut him. Grants contract is excessive if you ask me:
2011: $3.5 million, 2012: Free Agent. In addition to his $3.5 million base salary, Grant is slated to receive a $1.75 million roster bonus on the 15th day of the new league year, a $250,000 workout bonus, and another $250,000 roster bonus in the 2011 offseason.

Tarlam!
04-30-2011, 07:47 AM
I repect your opinions guys, but I don't call that excessive. I think Grant is highly underrated by fans and around the league. OK, he doesn't have the best hands and, B-Jack is a better blocker. And he sure aint glamorous. All he does is get the job done, one cut and hits the hole - hard. He's good for a few rips a game and when he's on the field, he's a legit possibility so defenses have to honour the run (until M3 gets his deer in the headlights play-calling going).

I think Patler did a comparison of Grant versus All Day 2009/10 season and the stats were remarkably close. Whether or not he's around beyond this season, same as what I wrote obout B-Jack: Money needs and # of RBs.

3irty1
04-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Green isn't going to replace Grant IMO. In fact the only think they seem to have in common is that they both are big.

Grant is a proven workhorse. Green had like 150 carries last year. Grant has a long second gear for hitting the home run. Green is very fast for his size but a clear notch below Grant in terms of long speed. Green has some 3rd down ability including blocking and receiving as we know Grant is nearly worthless on 3rd down. Green also seems to be a king at running the draw, which makes sense since Hawaii ran everything out of shotgun.

I don't think Ryan Grant is going anywhere. Instead expect him to pick up right where he left off and have a nice season on the ground.

digitaldean
04-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Unless Grant shows ill effects from his injury, I think they'll keep him 1 more year.

I think JJ is gone and possibly only 2 FBs kept on roster this year.

Now we need to address the D

3irty1
04-30-2011, 08:35 AM
I guess ESPN messed up on his fumble numbers. Looking into it further he fumbled 9 times in 2 years and lost 2 each year. Last year both were in the same game. Fontenot is already talking about fixing it.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/121008214.html

Scott Campbell
04-30-2011, 08:44 AM
His open field cuts were surgical.

Fritz
04-30-2011, 08:48 AM
I think TT is getting ready for Grant's departure after this year. I think maybe he'll try to re-sign Bjack. I now think Bjack's future in GB isn't necessarily over. But Quinn Johnson's or Hall's or Kuhn's might be!

RashanGary
04-30-2011, 09:31 AM

I love his size, strength, burst and speed, but my favorite part of watching his film was that patented open field stutter move he has. I've seen other people do it, but I don't quite remember seeing anyone doing it as effectively as this guy. I saw a couple ankle breakers on film and this guy is over 220 lbs.

Tarlam!
04-30-2011, 09:35 AM

I thought that was Gado. wasn't he a med student or intern or some shit like that?

Deputy Nutz
04-30-2011, 09:48 AM
For any of you that think Grant will be cut this year going into the 2011 season you should have your head examined. Is Clifton going to be cut? I haven't heard that one on these boards and Clifton has less left in the tank than Grant, and his replacement is a 1st round pick, not a 3rd.

Thompson has shored up the running back position a year or two before he had to. Thompson doesn't like to be pushed in a corner and let his judgement cloud. He moves a year or two ahead on all of his picks. He did it last year with bulaga, and this year with his first three picks.

Grant is making a 5.2 million dollars in 2011, hardly breaking the bank for a 1200 yard rusher and a known comodity.

Cutting Grant with only Starks and 3rd round rookie under team control would be foolish

RashanGary
04-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Green and Starks will play when they earn it. Neither have done what Grant has. For now we have Grant and a couple intriguing young guys. In a year, hopefully Green Finley's Grant's position away from him.

Guiness
04-30-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm not sure if that highlight reel is for him, or their OL!

He sure got past the LOS a lot without getting hit.

Brandon494
04-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Its funny how fast some of you forget how good Grant is.

Iron Mike
04-30-2011, 05:09 PM
I wonder if they'll give him #30??

Scott Campbell
04-30-2011, 05:15 PM
I thought that was Gado. wasn't he a med student or intern or some shit like that?

Yeah, I miss that guy. But not on the field.

mission
04-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Grant is definitely going to be around this year but the little open field stutter step that Green does is something we've never, ever seen from RG (and im not talking retailguy).

Lurker64
04-30-2011, 06:23 PM
For any of you that think Grant will be cut this year going into the 2011 season you should have your head examined. Is Clifton going to be cut? I haven't heard that one on these boards and Clifton has less left in the tank than Grant, and his replacement is a 1st round pick, not a 3rd.

Grant won't be cut, but his contract will be allowed to expire after the 2011 season and he likely won't be resigned or extended. In the same way that Neal was drafted to take over for Jenkins before Jenkins' contract year, Sherrod was drafted to take over for Clifton in Clifton's contract/retirement year, and Green was drafted to potentially take over for Grant in Grant's contract year.

TT likes to fill needs before he has them.

swede
04-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Grant is definitely going to be around this year but the little open field stutter step that Green does is something we've never, ever seen from RG (and im not talking retailguy).

We saw the stutter step from BJ a lot, but it tended to be in the backfield just before the hole closed.

mission
04-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Grant won't be cut, but his contract will be allowed to expire after the 2011 season and he likely won't be resigned or extended. In the same way that Neal was drafted to take over for Jenkins before Jenkins' contract year, Sherrod was drafted to take over for Clifton in Clifton's contract/retirement year, and Green was drafted to potentially take over for Grant in Grant's contract year.

TT likes to fill needs before he has them.

And in some cases I bet it gets him some deals on extending these guys for the family discount.

Lurker64
04-30-2011, 06:30 PM
And in some cases I bet it gets him some deals on extending these guys for the family discount.

Yeah "TT drafts a guy at your position in your combine year" doesn't mean he doesn't want to bring you back (IIRC he drafted Brohm during Aaron Rodgers's contract year), it just means that he's planning for the eventuality that he may not be able to.

get louder at lambeau
04-30-2011, 08:53 PM
I wonder if they'll give him #30??

That would just be rude. As of right now, he isn't the only Green on the team though, so his jersey will likely say A. Green.

Lurker64
04-30-2011, 08:56 PM
I was under the impression that they gave Alex Green #39.

Guiness
04-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Yeah "TT drafts a guy at your position in your combine year" doesn't mean he doesn't want to bring you back (IIRC he drafted Brohm during Aaron Rodgers's contract year), it just means that he's planning for the eventuality that he may not be able to.

lol at the worst example EVER of a draft choice not replacing the incumbent:shock:!

King Friday
04-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Grant cut? Granted, I'm hard on the guy. I hate the fact he's inadequate as a receiver. I'm not a big fan of his penchant for going down a little too easy at times. Yet Grant is a very dependable back who has good ball security and reasonable big play ability. 1200 yards isn't elite, but it isn't something to scoff at either. Grant has put that up twice in his career...behind an OL that was relatively mediocre for most of that time.

Anyone who thinks Grant should be cut is thinking crazy thoughts. Grant remains the best RB on our roster, due to experience and consistency over time. However, like I said before, Green appears to have better talent as a runner than Grant. Whether or not he can make the switch from a spread offense to a pro style scheme will determine if he realizes his potential to become a Pro Bowl caliber back. A guy that big and that light on his feet has the chance to be very good at the next level, but there are obstacles he will need to overcome.

Lurker64
04-30-2011, 11:47 PM
lol at the worst example EVER of a draft choice not replacing the incumbent:shock:!

Well, let's just remember that the specific offseason in question was a tumultuous and fluid situation. Hell, for all we know it could have been the Favre unretirement drama that really fucked Brohm up.