PDA

View Full Version : Cullen Jenkins value just went up

RashanGary
04-30-2011, 10:08 AM
It would be hard to do this, but with the way our roster looks, we could cut ties with Jones and Driver to keep Cullen Jenkins.

With Finley/Jennings/Nelson as our top pass catchers, with Cobb in the mix, to me it would seem more important to have a legit DL than a 5th and 6th pass catcher. Plus, our OL is getting stronger and our RB depth is much better. I don't know if having #2 WR's sitting on the bench is as important as having Cullen Jenkins rushing the passer.

Jenkins/Raji/Neal
Pickett as top backup

Wilson/Wynn/Green fighting for backup spots.

Smidgeon
04-30-2011, 10:35 AM
They're not going to bench Pickett in the base. He's barely over 30. DL can play for a long time.

I simply don't see a heavy need for DL or Jenkins. Not yet at least. If Neal pans out, they'll be fine.

RashanGary
04-30-2011, 10:43 AM
One pass rusher can be doubled
The 2nd pass rusher can be chipped
The 3rd pass rusher is free (single blocked)

By my count, we have three respectable pass rushers (and that's being very generous calling Neal a respectable pass rusher even though he's never done anything in the NFL.)

One injury and we're down to two. They can double Raji, chip Matthews with a TE or back and our pass rush is stifled.

For me, you want to start the year with 4 legitimate pass rushers so you can absorb one injury. We can easily absorb one injury to WR even without Driver and Jones. I think Jenkins brings more value to this team than those two guys.

red
04-30-2011, 10:43 AM
i don't see a massive need for d-line either

we had a hell of a run and won the super bowl last year with the guys we have

raji, pickett, neal, wynn, wilson, and green look like a good enough rotation to me

jenkins would be nice, but only if the cost is right.

also most Wr's don't contribute right away, it might take cobb or year or two to click as a WR, so i wouldn't dump driver right now

Sparkey
04-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Don't discount Howard Green. The Packers run defense improved by a large margin after Green started playing.

As good as Jenkins is, he is more a 4-3 end than a five technique end. He will command much interest on the market. Could even see the Browns take a look at him now that they are going back to running a 4-3. Could also see Chicago and Minnesota take interest.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Don't discount Howard Green. The Packers run defense improved by a large margin after Green started playing.

As good as Jenkins is, he is more a 4-3 end than a five technique end. He will command much interest on the market. Could even see the Browns take a look at him now that they are going back to running a 4-3. Could also see Chicago and Minnesota take interest.

Green forced the throw that Collins returned for a TD in the Superbowl. He's a very disruptive player.

Jenkins is also a very disruptive player - WHEN HE'S HEALTHY. I don't expect Ted to overpay for him.

RashanGary
04-30-2011, 10:48 AM
We'll see. We go in with what we have and I think we're on injury away from a weakness we can't hide.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2011, 10:53 AM
On a similar note, if Jones were willing to take a reasonable deal, wouldn't we be better off cutting Driver and resigning Jones?

Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Finley

Those foursome each has different strengths.

Quite honestly, I would ask Driver to take a paycut, if I were Thompson. Thompson bumped his salary up several times when he didn't have to. It might be time for Driver to reciprocate.

Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Driver, Cobb, Finley

That would be sick.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Driver has nostalgic value. That counts for a lot with fans, and not so much with Ted.

get louder at lambeau
04-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Jenkins is also a very disruptive player - WHEN HE'S HEALTHY. I don't expect Ted to overpay for him.

That's about it. I wouldn't expect Thompson to NOT give him a decent contract offer either though. It just depends how crazy the market gets for him.

Tarlam!
04-30-2011, 10:59 AM
In case no one noticed, 25 DLs were picked out of 97 players which is nearly 26% of all selections sofar, though DTs are mixed in. I'm sure you can balance that with the pass rushing LBs selected. I have to believe if teams had huge needs there, they've been addressed. That drops his price tag if you think about it.

It might be different if he played nearly every contest, but he's injured. Often. Doubt know if TT will match an offer from Snyder (they picked up two DL) or Davis (need?) if they came. Honestly, I doubt his payday will be as big as he wants.

Green was really OK last season and I bet he improves. I expect big things out of Neal.

red
04-30-2011, 11:05 AM
We'll see. We go in with what we have and I think we're on injury away from a weakness we can't hide.

last year we had a shitload of injuries on the d-line, TT went and found a guy like green. he knows what he's doing

BobDobbs
04-30-2011, 11:34 AM
We would be a better team with Cullen Jenkins. And with him back we wouldn't have to worry as much about losing Jolly, Harrell being a tease, Wilson or Neal coming into their own, or Green getting too fat. But, he missed 25 percent of his games last contract and he had injury issues before that. That's a track record.

We won't be able to match what he's going to be signed for. Goodbye and good luck Cullen. Unless you sign with the vikes or the bears.

RashanGary
04-30-2011, 12:06 PM
I agree that there is a good chance he's gone, but I think his chances to be here got better. The Jets and Steelers got DE's in the first round. We could use him. I think we'll be in the bidding and could win if Cullen is willing to stay here for mil or so less.

red
04-30-2011, 01:15 PM
TT is just kicking ass in this draft

edit, wrong thread

prime311
05-02-2011, 11:37 AM
I almost feel the same way. That the way the draft shook out we would let Jones go and resign Jenkins. But that just isn't TT. He has a dollar amount that he thinks Jenkins is worth, and if thats not enough to resign him then he will be gone.

VermontPackFan
05-02-2011, 11:50 AM
I may be the only one here who thinks so, but I am not counting out Justin Harrell yet. He will be in the mix to make the roster next season...

Tarlam!
05-02-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm with ya, Vermont. You aint alone. Shit. That cannot be comforting!

BobDobbs
05-02-2011, 12:01 PM
It's amazing to me that you two can type while wearing those straitjackets. :)

Smidgeon
05-02-2011, 02:31 PM
I may be the only one here who thinks so, but I am not counting out Justin Harrell yet. He will be in the mix to make the roster next season...

I'm also there, but I'm starting to think that he had one too many years of bad luck. An ACL isn't a back injury. And like Waldo pointed out a couple years ago, the guy is talented and has shown it. He's no Jamaal "Too Small". I just don't know if he'll get a chance to prove the injuries are behind him...

mraynrand
05-02-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm not worried about Jenkins. With Jolly supplying codeine to Harrell, I bet they both make it through the season with flying colors.

swede
05-02-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm not worried about Jenkins. With Jolly supplying codeine to Harrell, I bet they both make it through the season with flying colors.

Pretty!
http://web420.com/blog/media/blogs/psychedelic/psychedelic_bay.jpg

Gunakor
05-03-2011, 04:18 AM
Given the situation with Jolly, the uncertainty of Neal, and the chance that Jenkins will be gone, I think they might have to roll the dice with Harrell one more time. But I have just about given up on him. Even if he can stay healthy, the guy hasn't spent any significant time on a football field in years now. He was an absolute terror at Tennessee, but that was a long, long time ago. I just don't know if he can make it back anymore. Any positive contribution from him at this point would be a pleasant surprise.

VermontPackFan
05-03-2011, 06:23 AM
It's amazing to me that you two can type while wearing those straitjackets. :)

My wife is amazed at that skill set also...:)

Fritz
05-03-2011, 07:32 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing if Harrell can come back from it all. If nothing else, his back has had time to heal!

It'll be interesting to see what Jenkins gets on the open market. As usual, TT will have a number in mind and if or once the bidding goes past that, he'll wave bye-bye.