Reps: 20
Vert: 33 1/2"
Broad: 09'03"
Shuttle: 4.51
Cone 7.29

Lurker64
04-30-2011, 01:18 PM
NFP:
A thick, well-put-together athlete, but lacks the type of height you want to see at the tight end position; is more of an off the line Y/H-back tweener. Lines up all over the Arkansas offense and possesses above-average straight-line speed for the position. Has the ability to get into his routes quickly from a three-point stance, keeping his pad level down and accelerating off the line. Does a nice job using his big frame to go up and pluck the football. Exhibits strong hands and works hard after the catch. Uses his hands well in tight areas, has some shiftiness to his game and does a nice job getting into defenders and quickly slipping in order to generate some separation for himself when they want to get physical with him down the field.

Showcases good fluidity in the hips as a route runner, can cleanly open up out of his breaks and generate a burst for himself vs. man coverage on sharply breaking routes. At times gets a bit sloppy out of his breaks and will drift into his routes. Lacks great consistent body control as a route runner, will lose balance and not create as much separation as he's capable of at times. But is a good linear route runner where he can get up to speed quickly and simply try to run away from linebackers toward daylight and make plays down the seam.

Now, can block with natural leverage off the snap, does a nice job quickly getting his feet around and can seal bigger defenders from the play, but isn't going to drive NFL defensive linemen off the ball. Showcases some toughness and grit through the play and works hard to stay on blocks. However, isn't natural when asked to pull in the open field, struggles to consistently break down on contact and too often will whiff on defenders he's asked to lead. Does a much better job simply reaching defenders off his frame or releasing into the second level in the run game, where he does a much better job dropping his pad level and creating a slight surge on contact. Looks comfortable in blitz pick up, plays calmer, understands angles and can sit into his stance and move his feet through contact.

Impression: A good athlete who is a natural receiver, runs well, adjusts to the football and can pluck the throw. Lacks the size to be an ideal "on the line Y", but as a move tight end/ H-back option he will certainly be able to find a niche and add another element to an NFL offense.

Grade: 6.2 Z (Has one deficient area of his playing skills or physical attributes that he should be able to overcome and contribute to a team. Doesn’t possess the physical and/or athletic skill set required to ever become a starter, but has the abilities to become a productive sub-package option and make an impact for an NFL team. This prospect lacks the required height for his position.)

Lurker64
04-30-2011, 01:21 PM
ESPN

Overall Football Traits:

Production: 3
2007: (13/2) 5 receptions, 94 yards (18.8 avg.). 2008: (12/9) 61 receptions, 723 yards (11.9), 3 TD. 2009: (13/9) 32 receptions, 411 yards (12.8), 3 TD. 2010: (13/13) 54 catches, 627 yards (11.6), 4 TD.

Height-Weight-Speed: 4
Undersized in terms of prototypical height but possesses adequate bulk and top-end speed for the position.

Durability: 2
Is undersized, suffered a concussion during 2007 camp and missed some practices in 2009 camp with an ankle injury but he has not missed game action due to injury at any point in his career

Intangibles: 1
Overcame hardships early in life. Outspoken about coming from a home of domestic abuse. Dad is currently in jail (serving concurrent sentences of 25 and 27 years for separate convictions of attempted murder and aggravated assault on a public servant) and has not been a part of D.J.'s life since teenage years. Williams Reaches out to kids that are currently involved in similar situations. Has developed a team first mentality after enjoying great success statistics wise early in career.

TE Specific Traits

Separation Skills: 3
Shows a little bit of tightness in and out of breaks. Has some trouble getting off of the line versus press-coverage. But shows natural speed to separate on intermediate and vertical routes. At his best working against zone coverage. Savvy and does a nice job of wading through traffic to find and sit down in open areas. Has enough speed to create separation on crossing routes versus LB's one-on-one.

Ball Skills: 2
Displays soft and natural hands. Catches ball away from frame. Flashes ability to open up and make grab outside of frame. Uses thick frame well to shield defenders from the ball. However, does not have elite catching radius. Rarely drops catchable pass but few occasions we've seen on tape have been result of him trying to get up the field before securing the ball (2:39 remaining 3rd QTR vs. Georgia 2010).

Big Play Ability: 3
Has enough top-end speed to stretch the seam. However, is a small target vertically. Will not win as many jump balls as other TEs in the red zone. Gets up the field quickly and has good initial burst after the catch but lacks elite elusiveness. Not very strong after the catch, either.

Competitiveness/Toughness: 1
Willing to work the middle of the field and shows the concentration to pull in catch in traffic while taking a hit. Works to the whistle. Competitive and tough. Unselfish and plays a team first mentality.

Lurker64
04-30-2011, 01:22 PM
CBS Sports:
Overview

D.J. Williams' path in life took a dramatic turn with the tip of his finger 12 years ago.

It was 1999, and his mother was fleeing Texas with Williams and his two sisters to escape her abusive husband who was battling depression and a cocaine addiction. D.J. had grown up feeling helpless while watching his father beat his mother over and over again.

Vicky Williams had been a victim long enough. She spread a map out a table, and when D.J.'s finger landed on Little Rock, Ark., she packed up a few suitcases and headed off to start a new life with her children.

"My background was pretty much like sandpaper. It was really rough," D.J. Williams said at the scouting combine. "But after that sandpaper wore out, my family came out smooth.

"I'm almost thankful for what we went through because now I appreciate pretty much all I get in life. I'm very thankful for what my mother did for me, and almost every time I get to that breaking point, all I have to do is think of her and I keep going."

Williams has always kept going, emerging as a three-year starter playing both ways at Central Arkansas Christian. He was recruited by Oklahoma State, Mississippi and Georgia Tech, among others, but chose to stay close to home and become a fan favorite in Fayetteville.

When he set a school single-season record for tight ends with 61 catches as a sophomore, Williams admitted he let his blocking skills slide, and coach Bobby Petrino "didn't like that one bit." So his reception numbers dipped to just 32 in 2009 while Williams focused on becoming a more complete tight end. The result was a senior season in which Williams "put two and two together," catching a team-high 54 passes and winning the John Mackey Award given to the naiton's top tight end.

Williams is undersized for the traditional tight end role in the NFL. He projects as an H-Back who can be put in motion and take advantage of mismatches downfield. But he's ready to take on whatever role and NFL team asks of him, and says they'll get the same person they see playing with "that attitude" on game film.

"I'm not that player that when they hear that you've got to lead block against Ray Lewis - I'll say this now because I don't see him across

from me - but the attitude is, 'Okay, let's go do it. We're out here playing football. This is what we do,'" Williams said. "So my attitude is right in becoming that blocker. But a lot of (teams) do say that they see me as the route-runner and that H-back position, and that's where they want to play me at. But I'm open to do anything."

Analysis:
Release: Good initial quickness off the snap and lateral agility to gain a quick release when not pressed at the line. Can struggle to gain clearance when he is pressed due to his lack of bulk and strength. Has good straight-line speed to challenge down the seam.

Hands: Reliable hands. Can extend outside of his frame and pluck the ball out of the air. Protects the ball by allowing it into his chest when in traffic. Can take a hit and hang on. Good, not great leaping ability and can be pushed aside in jump-ball situations. Can track the ball over either shoulder.

Route running: Possesses good straight-line speed to force defenders on their heels, and has the balance and burst to create separation as a route-runner. Good, sharp cuts laterally. Sells his route with fakes and good body lean.

After the catch: At least moderate straight-line speed to run away from linebackers. Agile enough laterally to make defenders lunge, but isn't truly elusive as he has only moderate balance and too often is tripped up. Sets up and uses his blocks to gain maximum yardage. Runs hard. Keeps his legs churning to fight for extra yardage.

Blocking: Very good effort, but simply lacks the bulk or strength to compete as an inline blocker. Pesky. Keeps at his assignment and forces the defender to make the play while fighting him off. Works hard downfield to keep himself between his assignment and the ballcarrier, but is too easily pushed aside by defensive linemen and linebackers.

Intangibles: Characterized as a team leader and a "great guy" by coach Bobby Petrino. The recipient of the 2010 Disney Spirit Award given annually by Disney Sports to college football's most inspirational figure for his emergence as a star student athlete and crusader for domestic abuse awareness. Suffered through a tough childhood in which his biological father often abused him, his mother and two sisters. His father is now serving concurrent sentences of 25 and 27 years at the Polunsky Unit in Livingston, Texas for a number of charges, including attempted murder.

Compares to: Dustin Keller, Jets - Williams will be most successful in the NFL when put in motion to take advantage of mismatches against linebackers and smaller defensive backs downfield.

Lurker64
04-30-2011, 01:23 PM
SI:

Biography: Three-year starter awarded all-Conference honors since his sophomore season and named an All-American in 2008. Senior totals included a team-leading 54/627/4. Had 32/441/3 as a junior and a career-high 58/699/3 as a sophomore.

Positives: "Athletic pass-catching college tight end who lacks great measurables for the next level. Displays terrific focus and concentration, constantly finds the open space in the defense, and works hard to become an available target. Consistently extends his hands and makes the reception away from his frame. Keeps the play inbounds running after the catch to pick up positive yardage. Easily makes the reception in stride and adjusts to errant throws. Displays a burst of speed. Blocks with good lean, gets his hands into defenders, and gives effort. Flashes ability as a position blocker."

Negatives: Lacks the size and strength to finish blocks. Lacks the height teams want in a starting tight end at the next level.

Analysis: "Williams was a productive college tight end and is a high character prospect who is well thought of in scouting circles. Despite his lack of height, he possesses the physical skills to play at the next level and would be very good in a system that uses him as a move tight end or at the H-back position."

Projection: 3-4

Grade: 2.59 (Future Starter -- A good athlete that must learn to be a football player or someone who is an "overachiever". Quality prospect with long term potential )

vince
04-30-2011, 01:28 PM
What a story. Packer People. Guys like this are easy to root for.

vince
04-30-2011, 01:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wbCd1D7Nyw

vince
04-30-2011, 01:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJZEyPCxAzM&feature=player_embedded#at=36

vince
04-30-2011, 01:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxASKtmkQtQ&feature=player_embedded#at=17

vince
04-30-2011, 02:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1faLtkogZqU&feature=player_embedded#at=54

Badgerinmaine
04-30-2011, 02:02 PM
I wasn't looking for a tight end...but man, I sure like the kind of people the Packers are taking in this draft. He seems like a truly remarkable young man.

SkinBasket
04-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Can someone just fucking summarize his sob story so I don't have to watch all those links?

vince
04-30-2011, 02:16 PM
From Lurker's post above.

D.J. Williams' path in life took a dramatic turn with the tip of his finger 12 years ago.

It was 1999, and his mother was fleeing Texas with Williams and his two sisters to escape her abusive husband who was battling depression and a cocaine addiction. D.J. had grown up feeling helpless while watching his father beat his mother over and over again.

Vicky Williams had been a victim long enough. She spread a map out a table, and when D.J.'s finger landed on Little Rock, Ark., she packed up a few suitcases and headed off to start a new life with her children.

"My background was pretty much like sandpaper. It was really rough," D.J. Williams said at the scouting combine. "But after that sandpaper wore out, my family came out smooth.

"I'm almost thankful for what we went through because now I appreciate pretty much all I get in life. I'm very thankful for what my mother did for me, and almost every time I get to that breaking point, all I have to do is think of her and I keep going."

SkinBasket
04-30-2011, 02:19 PM
From Lurker's post above.

Are you suggesting that I real ALL the posts in a thread before making demands?

That's a pathetic story. I hope Crabtree beats him out.

vince
04-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Are you suggesting that I real ALL the posts in a thread before making demands?

racist

SkinBasket
04-30-2011, 02:34 PM
I hope Crabtree beats him like his daddy used to. Is that better?

SkinBasket
04-30-2011, 03:10 PM
I shouldn't have said that, because I read that he's more of an H back type. Maybe we could get rid of one of those white fuckers at FB now.

Iron Mike
04-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Wait a minute, wasn't this guy a LB for the Broncos????

Lurker64
04-30-2011, 05:23 PM

There's room for four tight ends on the roster, and in our hearts.

mission
04-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Damn!! This dude will not go down. I love seeing 5-6 guys dragging down a Packers draft pick. I'd love to get rid of Hall now.

mission
04-30-2011, 05:31 PM
There's room for four tight ends on the roster, and in our hearts.

I know Tom is a fan favorite but the blocking thing is severely overblown. TEs are supposed to be good blockers.

Crabtree could very well be on the way out IMO.

pbmax
04-30-2011, 06:15 PM
I am not saying Crabtree couldn't be replaced. But there is a reason he survived last year and its because in short yardage or certain pass protections, he holds down the fort.

Until someone shows they can do it, he makes the team as the 3rd TE every year I suspect.

Lurker64
04-30-2011, 06:20 PM
I know Tom is a fan favorite but the blocking thing is severely overblown. TEs are supposed to be good blockers.

Crabtree could very well be on the way out IMO.

It's more that, do we have any other TEs that you can count on to block?

mission
04-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Until someone shows they can do it, he makes the team as the 3rd TE every year I suspect.

Sure, I hear that. My point was just that it shouldn't be too hard or take too long for someone to do just that.

We had an old Donald Lee and a rookie, skinny Quarless... Finley goes down. Makes sense Crabtree is playing that role and he did it well IMO. Just think this offense can become a machine and just about anyone inserted can at least mildly produce. Rodgers is just that good with a ton of talent around him.

mission
04-30-2011, 06:24 PM
It's more that, do we have any other TEs that you can count on to block?

We didn't last year, no... see above

I guess the other question is how much value do you place on that? Where is this offense evolving too? I guess we'll see... should be exciting.

King Friday
04-30-2011, 11:34 PM
With Cobb and this kid, McCarthy will have all kinds of funky backfield looks available next year.

Lurker64
04-30-2011, 11:45 PM
With Cobb and this kid, McCarthy will have all kinds of funky backfield looks available next year.

I'm just imagining the crazy shit McCarthy could run out of the Wishbone with Grant and Cobb as the RBs, Williams as the FB, Finley as the TE, and Jennings split wide.

3irty1
05-01-2011, 01:15 AM
With Finley, DJ Williams, Jennings, Jordy, and Cobb you can go shotgun with 5 wide or have a 2 TE set with Cobb at RB. Pretty wild.

Lurker64
05-01-2011, 01:19 AM
With Finley, DJ Williams, Jennings, Jordy, and Cobb you can go shotgun with 5 wide or have a 2 TE set with Cobb at RB. Pretty wild.

Just lining up five wide and transitioning to a pro set, or vice versa would be amazing.

Some day, before I die I want to see a team line up in a 2-back set, transition to a five wide set, then transition to something in between... just to watch the defense run around.

ThunderDan
05-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Just lining up five wide and transitioning to a pro set, or vice versa would be amazing.

Some day, before I die I want to see a team line up in a 2-back set, transition to a five wide set, then transition to something in between... just to watch the defense run around.

This is exactly what I was thinking. You come out in a 2 TE, 2RB set and the D goes to their base run defense 4-3 or 3-4 personnel. Then you empty the backfield and move the TEs out. You have a minimum of 2 LBs covering unless you want to play man across the board without a deep safety.