PDA

View Full Version : Rating The Other NFCN Draft Choices 2011

Tarlam!
05-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Ya gotta think Detroit did a great job if Fairly pans out. Detroit inner city is no place for him, though, so he'll need a solid support system. But that WR and RB choice was slick. My Grade: A+

I hate the fact that that Badger is with Da Bears, but I bet he loves it: he may have played HS and college ball in WI, but he was born in Lake Forest and his nickname is "The Bear Jew". Hard to know for sure if he was a fan of either club - maybe you guys know. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabe_Carimi My Grade B+

I love the Vikings first pick from a fan perspective. How much pressure is on Ponder? How does he take to knowing their fans booed the pick? I mean, what were those guys thinking?? My Grade F

As per usual, the 3 year disclaimer period is evoked!

What say YOU?

pbmax
05-01-2011, 09:31 AM
I have a hard time imagining that his nickname is that character from Inglorious Basterds. Looks like the page was edited as recently as today. I have never heard it before, however, even if true that factoid probably wouldn't make it into the Badger's press releases. Sounds more like a Bear fan with poor taste, but I've been wrong before.

The MJS blog post by Carimi that is linked as the source for his nicknames does not mention anything other than "Jewish Hammer".

hoosier
05-01-2011, 02:52 PM
I have a hard time imagining that his nickname is that character from Inglorious Basterds. Looks like the page was edited as recently as today. I have never heard it before, however, even if true that factoid probably wouldn't make it into the Badger's press releases. Sounds more like a Bear fan with poor taste, but I've been wrong before.

The MJS blog post by Carimi that is linked as the source for his nicknames does not mention anything other than "Jewish Hammer".

Are there any Jewish professional athletes who DON'T have that as one of their nicknames?

Lurker64
05-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Are there any Jewish professional athletes who DON'T have that as one of their nicknames?

I think Taylor Mays is the Kosher Crusher, not the Jewish Hammer.

channtheman
05-01-2011, 03:20 PM
I dread facing the Lions this year. Suh by himself was a wrecking ball and now he's got Fairley (sp?) next to him.

Tony Oday
05-01-2011, 03:22 PM
I dread facing the Lions this year. Suh by himself was a wrecking ball and now he's got Fairley (sp?) next to him.

We can just do what the Cowboys did to Jon Jurkovik(sp) fall on an ankle!!!

steve823
05-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Lions drafting of Fairley may look good in Madden ,but it isn't as amazing as people make it to be. Their strength last season was the play of their D-line. Suh and Williams play good on the inside too. By adding Fairley they are making a strength stronger, but they neglected their terrible secondary. They passed on Prince by grabbing Fairley, but they're not going to have Suh, Williams, and Fairley on the field at the same time regularly so all their talent isn't being utilized.

Fritz
05-01-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't know much about Fairley, but I think rating the Lions' draft as superb is short-sighted. Look at the difference in approaches: with no free-agency signing period, here's what Ted did: "He finished with one pick in the fourth (New Mexico State cornerback Davon House, No. 131 overall), one in the fifth (Arkansas tight end D.J. Williams, No. 141), three in the sixth (Utah guard Caleb Schlauderaff, No. 179; Appalachian State inside linebacker D.J. Smith, No. 186; and Arizona outside linebacker Ricky Elmore, No. 197) and two in the seventh (North Carolina tight end Ryan Taylor, No. 218; and Arizona State defensive lineman Lawrence Guy, No. 233)."

And Martin Mayhew, the Lions' GM? After three picks in the first two rounds, he had only two more picks - a linebacker in the fifth and a tackle in the seventh. Five total picks for a team that needs more talent, lots more, than five picks, with no rookie free agency clearly in sight.

While you might love those first three picks, and they could be good, he only has a draft class of five. Thompson, thinking about the lack of rookie free agency for the near future, stocked up and ended up with ten picks.

I wouldn't go giving Mayhew an A for that strategy.

Guiness
05-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Lions drafting of Fairley may look good in Madden ,but it isn't as amazing as people make it to be. Their strength last season was the play of their D-line. Suh and Williams play good on the inside too. By adding Fairley they are making a strength stronger, but they neglected their terrible secondary. They passed on Prince by grabbing Fairley, but they're not going to have Suh, Williams, and Fairley on the field at the same time regularly so all their talent isn't being utilized.

Depends on your evaluation of Williams.

Fairley was rated very highly, not much behind Dareus in some cases, and I saw mocks where they went 1-2. DL was a position of strength, but it could get noticeably better. The 'Williams Wall' was daunting for a few years, and these two could be as good or better.

Your second point is well made though. Three step drop and throw...

steve823
05-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Guiness I Agree with you in that they have the chance of having a very respectable and possibly the best D-line in the league. I just don't think it's worth keeping your secondary that far behind because with their secondary now, they aren't going anywhere. Who knows though, nobody is a sure pick in the draft and maybe all the CBs turn out bad.

By the way, is your name after the beer guiness ? If so that's my favorite beer, glad to see someone like it besides me. (all my friends drink light beer and crap I usually see at college parties)