PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Guy

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2011, 12:57 AM
Interesting story.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AtBcN_0pm_XgsFtOpbBGNqRDubYF?slug=lc-packers_draft_pick_overcomes_learning_disabilities _050311

Tarlam!
05-04-2011, 05:03 AM
Woah.

Fred's Slacks
05-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Definately makes you want to root for the guy. Hope he makes it.

swede
05-04-2011, 06:25 AM
To me, as an educator, I find the story extraordinarily moving. A public school--any school really--has as much power to do damage as it does to build and foster growth.

Here is a link that I opened with bated breath. "Best College Players Not Drafted". Would John Clay make the list?
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1217518

RashanGary
05-04-2011, 06:41 AM
When I first saw the pick, I thought, "bah, 6th round DL, nothing special." When I read the story I realized how much he's overcome and then saw him working with children, he really showed heart. Then I watched a couple clips of him on youtube and he looked to have a relentless style of play. Then I saw how athletic he was in the workouts. . . .

He slipped with learning/character concerns and lack of college tape, but he might be really good. We might have a Johnny Jolly type 6th round pick without the drug addiction/court troubles.

vince
05-04-2011, 08:45 AM
He's raw, but if anyone can coach him up, Trgo can.

mraynrand
05-04-2011, 11:00 AM
"One day, when Lawrence was in sixth grade, his older brother Dell – an eighth grader – pummeled a bully who had attacked Lawrence for the crime of not buying the bully a Gatorade with his own lunch money. Dell broke the boy’s nose, and because the school had a zero-tolerance policy for fighting, Dell was charged with battery and assault with a deadly weapon (for kicking the bully) and given a citation. He had to appear in court and was sent to anger management classes."

Wow has the world changed. When I beat the shit out of a bully in sixth grade who kept trying to pick fights with me and other kids, the bully's parents complained because he had a knot and shiner on his head. But our teacher figured out what happened and basically dismissed the whole thing. He knew the bully got what he deserved. Assault with a deadly weapon. What horse shit.

Tarlam!
05-04-2011, 11:37 AM
I knew you aint no puppy. I just knew it!

sharpe1027
05-04-2011, 12:36 PM
"One day, when Lawrence was in sixth grade, his older brother Dell – an eighth grader – pummeled a bully who had attacked Lawrence for the crime of not buying the bully a Gatorade with his own lunch money. Dell broke the boy’s nose, and because the school had a zero-tolerance policy for fighting, Dell was charged with battery and assault with a deadly weapon (for kicking the bully) and given a citation. He had to appear in court and was sent to anger management classes."

Wow has the world changed. When I beat the shit out of a bully in sixth grade who kept trying to pick fights with me and other kids, the bully's parents complained because he had a knot and shiner on his head. But our teacher figured out what happened and basically dismissed the whole thing. He knew the bully got what he deserved. Assault with a deadly weapon. What horse shit.

Notice how the article says he got a "citation" but doesn't say he was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon. It sounds like a typical trumped up charge to force a plea to a lesser charge. Pretty stupid.

swede
05-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Dell was charged with battery and assault with a deadly weapon (for kicking the bully)

Shoes don't kick people, people do.

MadScientist
05-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Things have change a bit more as they are cracking down on bullying as well as fighting.

The biggest knock on this guy is that he ignored all of his coaches telling him to stay in school another year. Unless there is something else going on that he didn't disclose, he should have stayed in for another year and improved to a 3-4th round pick.

Guiness
05-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Things have change a bit more as they are cracking down on bullying as well as fighting.

The biggest knock on this guy is that he ignored all of his coaches telling him to stay in school another year. Unless there is something else going on that he didn't disclose, he should have stayed in for another year and improved to a 3-4th round pick.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the article.

Why did he forgo his senior year, and a chance to get a college degree to be a 7th round pick, a stutter step above a camp body?

Between the lockout, and his draft position, he could find himself on the street, without a college degree pretty shortly. As minicamps get missed, some writers are already calling this a lost draft. Even if a season were to happen now, rookies are going to have a much more difficult job displacing veterans this year. For a guy with a learning disability, it's that much harder.

From the sounds of the article, he expected to go higher. I hope he didn't make a big mistake.

Lurker64
05-04-2011, 03:02 PM
With the fact that DL don't play special teams, and we only suit 5 on game days, odds are we only keep 6 DL on the roster. Neal, Pickett, and Raji are starters, with Harold Green likely being both Raji and Pickett's backup and an easy healthy scratch against teams that won't run the ball much. So we've got two spots open between Harrell, Wynn, Wilson, Guy, and Curtis Young. Of that set, I think Wilson makes the roster on he basis of his play and his (presumed jump from year 1 and 2). I think Young is destined for the practice squad so Guy has to hope that neither Harrell nor Wynn distinguishes themselves. As much as we've given up on Harrell as a fanbase, you only achieve a $100,000 savings by cutting him (due to bonus acceleration) and when you factor in the fact that we'll have to pay somebody else more than $100,000 to play in his roster spot, so if Harrell is healthy and productive I think he makes the roster. If he gets hurt again, I think it's Wynn.

Lawrence Guy just seems destined for the practice squad, but I wish him all the best in the world.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2011, 04:15 PM
If Guy shows anything, there's little chance that Ted doesn't keep him over Harrell. IMHO, Harrell only makes the squad if DL get injured or don't show much. You can't trust his injury situation, so you aren't going to keep him over a player who shows promise. The final spot probably comes down to Wynn vs. Guy, but I wouldn't put it past Ted and Mike to keep 7 DL, if they all show they can play. They've had unbalanced rosters before.

Fritz
05-04-2011, 04:33 PM
He's just a guy.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Guiness
05-04-2011, 04:55 PM
With the fact that DL don't play special teams, and we only suit 5 on game days, odds are we only keep 6 DL on the roster. Neal, Pickett, and Raji are starters, with Harold Green likely being both Raji and Pickett's backup and an easy healthy scratch against teams that won't run the ball much. So we've got two spots open between Harrell, Wynn, Wilson, Guy, and Curtis Young. Of that set, I think Wilson makes the roster on he basis of his play and his (presumed jump from year 1 and 2). I think Young is destined for the practice squad so Guy has to hope that neither Harrell nor Wynn distinguishes themselves. As much as we've given up on Harrell as a fanbase, you only achieve a $100,000 savings by cutting him (due to bonus acceleration) and when you factor in the fact that we'll have to pay somebody else more than $100,000 to play in his roster spot, so if Harrell is healthy and productive I think he makes the roster. If he gets hurt again, I think it's Wynn.

Lawrence Guy just seems destined for the practice squad, but I wish him all the best in the world.

What has the Pack`s priority been with the PS over the past couple of years? Do we use it to stash players we'd like to hold on to, but don't have room for on the roster, or is it used to rotate guys through and 'interview' them? I don't remember - did we try and hold on to Wynn on our PS last year?

aside: looked at Wynn's wikipedia page, edited some awful punctuation. Saw that he scored 12 on the Wonderlific. Ouch.

MJZiggy
05-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Shoes don't kick people, people do.
Unless the kid was wearing spiked metal stilettos, I'm not sure how a shoe is a deadly weapon. I somehow doubt that if the boy were wearing these shoes that the bully would be paying any attention to his brother...

Guiness
05-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Unless the kid was wearing spiked metal stilettos, I'm not sure how a shoe is a deadly weapon. I somehow doubt that if the boy were wearing these shoes that the bully would be paying any attention to his brother...

'laying the boots' to someone after they go down it without a doubt assault with a deadly weapon. As is sucker punching.

BobDobbs
05-04-2011, 06:54 PM
I listened to the conference call after he was drafted over on packers.com

http://www.packers.com/media-center/audio/DE-Lawrence-Guy-conference-call/faee1bd9-44c4-43fa-b34b-aa682dc8314f

There's some good stuff. He sounds really sincere when he says he never quits on a play and that he is a determined worker. But, right at the start he's asked why he came out early. And he basically says,'I accomplished my goal of becoming a mentor and a team leader.' That's just a strange answer for me to hear. I mean isn't that why you stay? To be a mentor, a leader, and graduate?

It's not like he went in the top ten. I'm excited to have him as a seventh rounder. Seems like a good value. D-Lineman are tough to hide on a practice squad though, he might have to make the team outright.

Lurker64
05-04-2011, 06:57 PM
What has the Pack`s priority been with the PS over the past couple of years? Do we use it to stash players we'd like to hold on to, but don't have room for on the roster, or is it used to rotate guys through and 'interview' them? I don't remember - did we try and hold on to Wynn on our PS last year?

aside: looked at Wynn's wikipedia page, edited some awful punctuation. Saw that he scored 12 on the Wonderlific. Ouch.

We do some stashing and some developing. You don't need to look at so many people that you need to keep all eight spots in flux. Usually it's 5-7 guys who are stashed and developed, and 1-3 guys who are brought in and out as intensive scouting. People also leave the practice squad when other people sign them to their roster. We probably would have held on to Meredith and Brohm on the PS if Buffalo had not signed them to their roster. Just by the nature of the 5-tech DE position, there's very few guys who come into the league able to play it at a high level (even first round 5-techs take some time), so we're always going to want to keep a guy around who's a 5-tech prospect with PS eligibility. If we don't have one on the roster, expect us to draft one (we snagged C.J. Wilson in the 7th in the 2010 draft precisely because Wynn didn't have PS eligibility. Likewise, I think the Lawrence Guy pick was motivated by Wilson having played enough last year that he can't go on the PS.)

We would have put Wynn on the PS, except for the fact that he was not eligible for it. So he's in a "make the roster or get cut" situation.

bobblehead
05-04-2011, 07:58 PM

http://geekdrop.com/content/fat-kid-body-slams-his-skinny-bully-must-see

Of course the kid defending himself is being sued....and its not even America.

Kiwon
05-05-2011, 01:45 PM
"Quick combine interviews in a frenzied setting would probably be difficult for him, even as his coaches in college and a few who worked with him on draft preparation said he had an excellent grasp of the Arizona State plays and formations, having carefully studied them using symbols as a guide."

Of course, everyone wishes him well but the article leaves it unclear whether Lawrence Guy continues to need special instruction or has he developed a system where he can essentially teach himself. The NFL schemes are complex and require instant readjustment play to play. That means a lot of memorization beforehand. Many physically talented guys just can't cut it. Hopefully Lawrence will have some success and his legend will continue to grow and grow.

It's quite an inspirational story.

SkinBasket
05-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Just what we need, another idiot who can't read a playbook.

mraynrand
05-05-2011, 02:17 PM

Don't be cruel. He can read, only right to left and in reverse like in that movie "Doppelgänger" or the remake:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d2/Journeyfarsidesun.jpg

sharpe1027
05-05-2011, 02:18 PM

Quoted to appease the cry for attention.

Cheesehead Craig
05-05-2011, 02:42 PM
"Quick combine interviews in a frenzied setting would probably be difficult for him, even as his coaches in college and a few who worked with him on draft preparation said he had an excellent grasp of the Arizona State plays and formations, having carefully studied them using symbols as a guide."

Of course, everyone wishes him well but the article leaves it unclear whether Lawrence Guy continues to need special instruction or has he developed a system where he can essentially teach himself. The NFL schemes are complex and require instant readjustment play to play. That means a lot of memorization beforehand. Many physically talented guys just can't cut it. Hopefully Lawrence will have some success and his legend will continue to grow and grow.

It's quite an inspirational story.
Is there a lot of stuff the DL have to know compared to an OL? I mean their job is pretty much beat the guy in front of you or run to this gap and try and make a play.

SkinBasket
05-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Quoted to appease the cry for attention.

Yes, I need attention from the half a dozen nerds who still read this site...

You'll have to forgive me for not fawning over the latest human interest story about a borderline retarded kid who can play football.

Pugger
05-05-2011, 03:33 PM
A retarded kid's GPA isn't near 3.50 in college.

Spaulding
05-05-2011, 03:40 PM
If Guy shows anything, there's little chance that Ted doesn't keep him over Harrell. IMHO, Harrell only makes the squad if DL get injured or don't show much. You can't trust his injury situation, so you aren't going to keep him over a player who shows promise. The final spot probably comes down to Wynn vs. Guy, but I wouldn't put it past Ted and Mike to keep 7 DL, if they all show they can play. They've had unbalanced rosters before.

I'm sure I'll be accused of having downed a few gallons of kool aid with this post but I have to believe that if Harrell's back issues (I know a big iff but it wasn't his back that was a problem last year but a freak extra point injury to his ACL) are behind him that he could become a solid starter for us. He just seems to have been such a force as a Volunteer and has looked pretty darn good in flashes that unless his back flares up again that he'll make the team.

Would be a nice surprise to see even better line play this year with Neal back, Harrell finally playing to his draft status and other players further improving even while we lose Jenkins to FA and Jolly is getting his drank on.

SkinBasket
05-05-2011, 03:51 PM
A retarded kid's GPA isn't near 3.50 in college.

Who said he was retarded?

And I knew plenty of fucking morons who left college with better GPAs than that.

sharpe1027
05-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Yes, I need attention from the half a dozen nerds who still read this site...

You'll have to forgive me for not fawning over the latest human interest story about a borderline retarded kid who can play football.

Forgiven for not fawning and I am guilty as charged for being one of the nerds! Although, not fawning over the story really doesn't have anything to do with my point. You could have accomplished that by not posting anything or attacking the piece/story rather than the individual. Instead, you chose to call him both an idiot and borderline retarded. Your posts suggest that you are a smart person and would know that you are being controversial. Maybe you have another reason for your choice of words other than seeking attention, but it seems a reasonable assumption that you did not.

SkinBasket
05-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Maybe you have another reason for your choice of words other than seeking attention, but it seems a reasonable assumption that you did not.

Maybe you should read a few of my other posts. The ones that haven't been deleted anyway.

Deputy Nutz
05-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Half retard is good, full retard = bad.

sharpe1027
05-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Maybe you should read a few of my other posts. The ones that haven't been deleted anyway.

Enlighten me.

Deputy Nutz
05-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Sharpe you need to stop picking fights around here.

Pugger
05-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Who said he was retarded?

And I knew plenty of fucking morons who left college with better GPAs than that.

Pardon me, borderline retarded. :roll:

SkinBasket
05-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Pardon me, borderline retarded. :roll:

That's better. For now, you can be a borderline asshat. Don't push your luck!

Tarlam!
05-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Did the wife come home in a bad mood today, Skin? Why ya gotta take it out on us?

get louder at lambeau
05-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Half retard is good, full retard = bad.

What about three quarters? Two Thirds?

SkinBasket
05-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Enlighten me.

If you click on my name, I think you can view all posts by me. Well, the ones that homo joe decided to index anyway. Enlighten yourself.

Nevermind, I just tried that. And true to form, there only like 5 fucking pages. Awesome. Love the software.

Go to the garbage can or romper room before this place became a vagina festival. Meaning, start at the beginning. The Mazzin pregnancy thread would be good. Or the 12 pound turkey challenge. Oh, wait! Joe deleted that. Because he's a homo. So you'll have to move on to any of the literally thousands of threads I've defiled with the essence of Skinbasket. Speaking of which, how about this thread? http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?2560-The-SkinBasket

Jesus fuck your mother. How fucking bad is the search function on this piece of shit forum? I'll tell you, it smells worse than Partial's knuckles after he fisted his mother, er.. I mean "girlfriend." Hey, Joe, have I thanked you lately for assfucking this place into obsolescence? No? Well, thank you.

Anyway, sharpie ol' pal, you'll have to do some leg work and find my highlights for me. I'm old and drunk and tired. And fat. There's nine and a half thousand of em out there, even if there isn't a way to find them, so it shouldn't be too hard.

SkinBasket
05-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Did the wife come home in a bad mood today, Skin? Why ya gotta take it out on us?

I just can't believe that:

a) there's people here who don't know how retarded I am.

and

b) Joe has fucked this place so good that there isn't even a way for them to find out.

Wild turkey + POM + ice = nice.

Tarlam!
05-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Skin, Joe loves you and so do I.

MJZiggy
05-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Skin, Joe loves you and so do I.

I know you do, honey, but I'm just not sure Joe's emotions toward Skin add up to love...

mraynrand
05-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Skin, I would go and dig up some of those old exciting skinbaskety threads so that 2 or 3 people could look at them in the Romper Room, but I really need to pick an ingrown nose hair out from an infected pore. You're on your own.

swede
05-05-2011, 10:07 PM
If you click on my name, I think you can view all posts by me. Well, the ones that homo joe decided to index anyway. Enlighten yourself.

Nevermind, I just tried that. And true to form, there only like 5 fucking pages. Awesome. Love the software.

Go to the garbage can or romper room before this place became a vagina festival. Meaning, start at the beginning. The Mazzin pregnancy thread would be good. Or the 12 pound turkey challenge. Oh, wait! Joe deleted that. Because he's a homo. So you'll have to move on to any of the literally thousands of threads I've defiled with the essence of Skinbasket. Speaking of which, how about this thread? http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?2560-The-SkinBasket

Jesus fuck your mother. How fucking bad is the search function on this piece of shit forum? I'll tell you, it smells worse than Partial's knuckles after he fisted his mother, er.. I mean "girlfriend." Hey, Joe, have I thanked you lately for assfucking this place into obsolescence? No? Well, thank you.

Anyway, sharpie ol' pal, you'll have to do some leg work and find my highlights for me. I'm old and drunk and tired. And fat. There's nine and a half thousand of em out there, even if there isn't a way to find them, so it shouldn't be too hard.

That was a memorable 9,500th post.

Fritz
05-05-2011, 11:43 PM
'I'll tell you, it smells worse than Partial's knuckles after he fisted his mother, er.. I mean "girlfriend."'

Now how can ya be mad at a guy after a line like that?

mraynrand
05-06-2011, 07:22 AM
'I'll tell you, it smells worse than Partial's knuckles after he fisted his mother, er.. I mean "girlfriend."'

Now how can ya be mad at a guy after a line like that?

You answer to 'Partial'

sharpe1027
05-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Sharpe you need to stop picking fights around here.

Deputy, are you trying to pick a fight with me? ;)

If disagreeing with someone that calls someone an idiot and borderline retarded because they are dyslexic and have ADHD is picking a fight, I guess I'm George Foreman. Skin knows what he/she is doing. I'm not exactly picking on someone that has a thin skin and isn't expecting/looking for people to disagree with what they post.

sharpe1027
05-06-2011, 07:49 AM

Oooh fun. You want to be all cryptic and make me guess. Yay! Let's see, you post stuff poking fun in a very graphic way. It usually gets a smile out of me. What's your point? I thought my original response was somewhat comical and on point, but if you disagree then Jesus fuck your father, you fat old bastard.

Tarlam!
05-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Sharpe, he's not fat. But he is old. As to whether his parents were actually married?

sharpe1027
05-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Sharpe, he's not fat. But he is old. As to whether his parents were actually married?

Poetic license? I needed something to finish it off and "bastard" fit really well.

Tarlam!
05-06-2011, 08:35 AM
OK, my last post was trying to be funny. This post is to vouch for the Skinbasket. I've had the honour and pleasure to meet him in person and I have never met a nicer person. Throw a bunch of other posters into that group that I was fortunate enough to meet at the first PR game. All great people.

Deputy Nutz
05-06-2011, 09:25 AM
What about three quarters? Two Thirds?

In relative football terms, you probably don't want to go much above "half retarded", then it gets a bit messy. In terms of reality, being a "half retard" or "full retard" probably doesn't make a bit of difference, you can't probably hold down a job as a "1/2" but as a full "tard" you might have issues.

Deputy Nutz
05-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Skin is a manic depressive folks, nothing truly makes him happy for more than 10 minutes. His temper has risen over the past few months due to his slavery in Cincynattica. I feel for him, but I refuse to make excuses for him.

I am all for landing a player that could be a special player but for the learning disabilities that has followed his career as a college athlete. If he has found learning devices that allows him to digest and understand the playbook and the coaches then I think the Packers might have just landed a heck of steal in the 7th round.

Deputy Nutz
05-06-2011, 09:31 AM

I thought you were not allowed to drink anymore?

Tarlam!
05-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Skin is a manic depressive folks, nothing truly makes him happy for more than 10 minutes. His temper has risen over the past few months due to his slavery in Cincynattica. I feel for him, but I refuse to make excuses for him.

Say what?? You and I have chafed knees trying to serve J, you piking fuck! The only reason I wanna adopt your offspring is because you have such a great football mind. Fuck it. I can't hide my love for both of you full retards. I am so weak. :(

Zool
05-06-2011, 10:30 AM
As I said in another thread a couple days ago, welcome back Skin you octogenarian fuck. Got your balls out of the dogs water dish long enough to fire up a gem last night. Thank God for liquor and boredom I say.

sharpe1027
05-06-2011, 10:44 AM
OK, my last post was trying to be funny. This post is to vouch for the Skinbasket. I've had the honour and pleasure to meet him in person and I have never met a nicer person. Throw a bunch of other posters into that group that I was fortunate enough to meet at the first PR game. All great people.

So was mine. Sadly, I seem to have failed horribly. I am sorry if I was out-of-line with my verbal sparring. I will respect the will of the masses and shut my pie hole.

Tarlam!
05-06-2011, 11:26 AM
I will respect the will of the masses and shut my pie hole.

Don't you fucking dare!!

Deputy Nutz
05-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Say what?? You and I have chafed knees trying to serve J, you piking fuck! The only reason I wanna adopt your offspring is because you have such a great football mind. Fuck it. I can't hide my love for both of you full retards. I am so weak. :(

Did you just go Aussie on my ass? Because I really have no idea what you just said, but I luv you to.

Guiness
05-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Skin is a manic depressive folks, nothing truly makes him happy for more than 10 minutes. His temper has risen over the past few months due to his slavery in Cincynattica.

That and black people who do a shitty job of unclogging his toilet and cleaning his eves.

get louder at lambeau
05-06-2011, 12:21 PM
I just can't believe that:

a) there's people here who don't know how retarded I am.

So if someone who admits to being retarded calls someone else "borderline retarded", is that somehow a compliment?

SkinBasket
05-06-2011, 03:23 PM
As I said in another thread a couple days ago, welcome back Skin you octogenarian fuck.

Where did I go?

I'm just glad to see this thread has stayed on topic. The topic being me. Because I'm an attention whore. And I like calling people retarded. Fuck, I even like calling animals retarded. Push me far enough, and I might even call flora retarded. But that's more interesting than some guy who I can't even tell if he's a dark white guy or a light black guy. Maybe he's Cuban. Point stands, though, he's kinda retarded. If he can visualize the play without fucking running into everyone like a blind rapist looking for an ass to poke, then he'll at least be a head up on Poppinga.

Speaking of which, I just wish Partial was still here to talk about "poking the bear."

Don't worry about failure Sharp. It's what makes this place what it is.

sharpe1027
05-06-2011, 04:15 PM
If he can visualize the play without fucking running into everyone like a blind rapist looking for an ass to poke, then he'll at least be a head up on Poppinga.

Sounds like a great description of an outstanding DL to me. Plus, there is precedent in Green Bay history for such a player.

http://chzupnextinsports.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/funny-sports-pictures-unsportsmanlike-conduct.jpg

MJZiggy
05-06-2011, 06:03 PM
If he can visualize the play without fucking running into everyone like a blind rapist looking for an ass to poke, then he'll at least be a head up on Poppinga.

What's Roethlisberger have to do with this?