74 Newhouse, Marshall G/T 6-4 319 22 2 Texas Christian
75 Bulaga, Bryan T 6-5 314 22 2 Iowa
69 Campbell, Chris T 6-5 328 24 1 Eastern Illinois
76 Clifton, Chad T 6-5 320 34 12 Tennessee
78 Sherrod, Derek T 6-5 321 22 R Mississippi State
65 Tauscher, Mark T 6-3 320 33 12 Wisconsin
70 Lang, T.J. T/G 6-4 318 23 3 Eastern Michigan

The questions are:

How many OL do they carry? Who are the strongest/best 5? Who starts and where? Who gets cut? Any PS players there?

Enjoy!

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2011, 01:40 PM
9 or 10

My guess: Wells, McDonald, Sitton, Bulaga, Clifton, Sherrod, Lang, Newhouse

Colledge (if he's with the team) or a battle between Dietrich-Smith or Schlauderaff.

Tarlam!
05-07-2011, 01:55 PM
What's the starting lineup? Who backs up whom??

pbmax
05-07-2011, 02:25 PM
CLIFTON (not Colledge), Lang, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga

Sherrod, Bulaga, EDS, McDonald, Sherrod

Newhouse, Schlauderaff

swede
05-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Colledge, Lang, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga

Newhouse, Schlauderaff

Surely you meant Clifton at 1st string LT next to Lang and not College!!!!

Otherwise I like the look of the line next year, especially if Lang is ready to rock.

pbmax
05-07-2011, 02:35 PM
CLIFTON (not Colledge), Lang, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga

Newhouse, Schlauderaff

Surely you meant Clifton at 1st string LT next to Lang and not College!!!!

Otherwise I like the look of the line next year, especially if Lang is ready to rock.
Thanks for catching that. Even as President of Colledge's PR Defense Team, that was embarrassing.

Tony Oday
05-07-2011, 02:38 PM
I love that people have finally stopped trying to replace Wells :)

swede
05-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks for catching that. Even as President of Colledge's PR Defense Team, that was embarrassing.

Ehh...I figured Colledge's name was in your head because you were happy to replace him finally.

Guiness
05-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Spitz and Tauscher gone, eh?

I don't know about counting out a guy with winning hair! Tausch has the patent on that.

bobblehead
05-07-2011, 04:13 PM
How about I go different than what I believe just to stir controversy:

Backups in parentheses:

Clifton (Bulaga), College (Lang), Spitz (Wells), Sitton (McDonald), Bulaga (Lang)

Sherrod and Newhouse are gameday inactives with Schlauderhaff on the PS.

In reality I think College is definately gone as someone will pay him decent money as he has proven to be available and starting every sunday and someone will want him and overpay him.

I actually think it looks something like this.

Clifton (Bulaga), Lang (McDonald), Wells (no clue), Sitton (McDonald), Bulaga (Lang)

Hard to guess the backups, but I think Sherrod is gameday inactive barring injuries for at least first 8 weeks. Same with Newhouse. That is 8. Now we have a real interesting scenario if we have spitz in camp (if he is healthy). EDS is younger, but Spitz is versatile as hell. I have no clue if McDonald or Schlauderhaff can play center so that could play into the final roster. I think schladdy could really decide a few other peoples fate depending on his play. If no one can effectively play center, then EDS almost has the to make the squad if Spitz isn't brought back. In that scenario Schladdy is PS hopeful. Bah, gotta reassess everything, under my thinking we move too many guys if cliffy goes down. Can't have Lang backup Bulaga. That would leave Newhouse as I am convinced that for the time being Bulaga is going to be the backup LT and I am also convinced Lang will emerge as the LG of the future. Lot to work out in 2 weeks of training camp before the 14 game season.

pbmax
05-07-2011, 04:43 PM
I love that people have finally stopped trying to replace Wells :)

I would like a bigger body, especially with Suh around, but Spitz has never regained his form. I think he only returns at a bargain price or if the 2010 rules are in place again this season.

I am not sure Tauscher will be back at all with another knee injury.

Colledge, if back under the 2010 rules, could give Lang a run for his money. And it will depend on which version of Lang (2009 vs 2010) shows up whether Colledge gets the position again.

Guiness
05-07-2011, 05:28 PM
How about I go different than what I believe just to stir controversy:

Backups in parentheses:

Clifton (Bulaga), College (Lang), Spitz (Wells), Sitton (McDonald), Bulaga (Lang)

Sherrod and Newhouse are gameday inactives with Schlauderhaff on the PS.

In reality I think College is definately gone as someone will pay him decent money as he has proven to be available and starting every sunday and someone will want him and overpay him.

I actually think it looks something like this.

Clifton (Bulaga), Lang (McDonald), Wells (no clue), Sitton (McDonald), Bulaga (Lang)

Hard to guess the backups, but I think Sherrod is gameday inactive barring injuries for at least first 8 weeks. Same with Newhouse. That is 8. Now we have a real interesting scenario if we have spitz in camp (if he is healthy). EDS is younger, but Spitz is versatile as hell. I have no clue if McDonald or Schlauderhaff can play center so that could play into the final roster. I think schladdy could really decide a few other peoples fate depending on his play. If no one can effectively play center, then EDS almost has the to make the squad if Spitz isn't brought back. In that scenario Schladdy is PS hopeful. Bah, gotta reassess everything, under my thinking we move too many guys if cliffy goes down. Can't have Lang backup Bulaga. That would leave Newhouse as I am convinced that for the time being Bulaga is going to be the backup LT and I am also convinced Lang will emerge as the LG of the future. Lot to work out in 2 weeks of training camp before the 14 game season.

I initially thougt there's no way Newhouse sticks around if he isn't game day active, after taking up a roster spot for nothing all of last year, but maybe he gets a free pass due to lack of offseason training. But how long do you hang on to a guy like that?

steve823
05-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Sitton is obviously a lock. I would also say Wells (our 2nd best OL), Clifton, and Bulaga are too.

So I would expect :

Clifton- Colledge(hope not)/Lang - Wells - Sitton - Bulaga

"Bulaga figures to start at right tackle, with Sherrod working in a backup role or trying out at left guard. The Packers aren't ruling out Bulaga at guard this season, either." << Also don't like what I read there. I hope the Packers keep everyone at their positions and use Sherrod as a backup to eventually become a LT or RT.

3irty1
05-07-2011, 07:00 PM
My guess is that Colledge isn't with the team and the depth chart looks like this:

Clifton/Sherrod/Newhouse
Lang/Sherrod/McDonald
Wells/McDonald
Sitton/Schlauderhaff
Bulaga/Sherrod/Newhouse

I don't expect Lang to easily beat out Sherrod for a LG gig though. Sherrod is no doubt the LT of the future but could also be too good to keep out of the lineup much like Bulaga last year.

pbmax
05-07-2011, 09:46 PM
I initially thougt there's no way Newhouse sticks around if he isn't game day active, after taking up a roster spot for nothing all of last year, but maybe he gets a free pass due to lack of offseason training. But how long do you hang on to a guy like that?

They held on to Giacomini for 3 years, but that was when he was the 4th tackle with the best measurables outside of Clifton. As of now, you have Clifton, Bulaga and Sherrod and Newhouse finds himself in a similar roster spot as Breno, though his prospects aren't as good with 2 high picks in front of him. But the team will likely carry a 4th tackle and its either him or Lang as emergency fill-in.

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2011, 10:35 PM
If Sherrod shows as much as a rookie as Bulaga did, I would not be surprised if the starting OL was Clifton, Bulaga, Wells, Sitton, Sherrod. Also, I have read that Sherrod might be able to play OG, so you can switch Bulaga and him and have Clifton, Sherrod, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga. That would be a pretty decent group.

swede
05-07-2011, 11:09 PM
If Sherrod shows as much as a rookie as Bulaga did, I would not be surprised if the starting OL was Clifton, Bulaga, Wells, Sitton, Sherrod. Also, I have read that Sherrod might be able to play OG, so you can switch Bulaga and him and have Clifton, Sherrod, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga. That would be a pretty decent group.

Interesting take, Harv. For most of us our first thought about Sherrod was that it will be good to have him backing up Clifton until age or injury pushes Sherrod into starting LT.

But, you're right, there is no reason to think that MM and Philbin wouldn't throw their best five lineman out there in much the same way you outlined.

There is also no guarantee that Sherrod is LT before Bulaga.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-08-2011, 11:02 AM
I am not so sure that Tauscher won’t be back. He still hasn’t retired and has one year left on his contract. I think he comes back and tries to play one more year, but whether he makes the team or not is another question. I could see:

T: Clifton, Bulaga, Sherrod, Tauscher
G: Sitton, Lang, Schlauderhaff, and maybe Colledge (if we go back to the old rules)
C: Wells, Mcdonald
PS: Newhouse

If I had to guess, I would think Tauscher is gone and Newhouse makes the team. We keep 9 without Colledge back if we go with new rules and 10 with Colledge back if we go back to the old rules.

pbmax
05-08-2011, 12:09 PM
I have read that if one of the two first round tackles plays Guard it should be Bulaga. Sherrod was thought to possess less lower body strength and was less effective as a run blocker.

Tarlam!
05-08-2011, 02:10 PM
# NAME POS. HT WT Age EXP
Starters
76 Clifton, Chad T 6-5 320 34 12
74 Newhouse, Marshall G/T 6-4 319 22 2
63 Wells, Scott C 6-2 300 30 8
71 Sitton, Josh G 6-3 318 24 4
75 Bulaga, Bryan T 6-5 314 22 2
Averagerages 6-4 314 26,4 2

Second String
62 Dietrich-Smith, Evan C/G 6-2 308 24 2
78 Sherrod, Derek T 6-5 321 22 R
65 Tauscher, Mark T 6-3 320 33 12
70 Lang, T.J. T/G 6-4 318 23 3
67 McDonald, Nick C/G 6-4 316 23 2

Practice Squad
Schlauderaff, Caleb G 6-4 302 23 R
64 Battles, Adrian G 6-3 318 24 1

Sherrod's development coming out reminds me that of the best player on the roster; I would like to see him sit a year. Learn gain weight and mature. I haven't been a fan of Colledge since he went public with his demands for a bigger contract. I know, I'm alone on that, but his play has been inconsistant. I've seen enouth.

I like Tauscher as a backeruper. I like the youth movement, but I like a healthy mix of old hounds in the locker room.

I have 10 on the roster and two on the PS.

King Friday
05-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Sherrod does not impress me as a RT. He's finesse. I don't think Bulaga moves from RT at this point. He's found a home, and there is no reason to move him at this point. Tauscher doesn't have anything left in the tank as a starter IMO.

Also, I don't see why Sherrod should be required to sit and learn. Bulaga stepped in and did fine...and Sherrod is almost on par in terms of raw ability coming out of college. SEC produces a lot of NFL ready DEs...and Sherrod stiffed most of them. Obviously, as long as Clifton is healthy, I don't mind Sherrod as a backup...but I think he's ready to step in and contribute immed if necessary.

Guiness
05-09-2011, 08:17 AM
They held on to Giacomini for 3 years, but that was when he was the 4th tackle with the best measurables outside of Clifton. As of now, you have Clifton, Bulaga and Sherrod and Newhouse finds himself in a similar roster spot as Breno, though his prospects aren't as good with 2 high picks in front of him. But the team will likely carry a 4th tackle and its either him or Lang as emergency fill-in.

True, BG did stick around for a while without playing much (at all?). He's still with Seattle now, and still not playing! He was only here for two years though, behind Barbre and Moll though.

Fritz
05-09-2011, 09:46 AM
I think Newhouse's health is a key factor. He hurt his back last year - if he comes back from that (and isn't sitting at Mama's table stuffing himself) and is in good shape, then he sticks at the game-day tackle/guard backup. If his back is still giving him trouble or has affected his play, then he's gone.

I think the starting lineup is Clifton/Lang/Wells/Sitton/Bulaga

The backups are Sherrod, Macdonald, Newhouse, and ??

bobblehead
05-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Sherrod does not impress me as a RT. He's finesse. I don't think Bulaga moves from RT at this point. He's found a home, and there is no reason to move him at this point. Tauscher doesn't have anything left in the tank as a starter IMO.

Also, I don't see why Sherrod should be required to sit and learn. Bulaga stepped in and did fine...and Sherrod is almost on par in terms of raw ability coming out of college. SEC produces a lot of NFL ready DEs...and Sherrod stiffed most of them. Obviously, as long as Clifton is healthy, I don't mind Sherrod as a backup...but I think he's ready to step in and contribute immed if necessary.

Ok, 2 points in one here. Bulaga never lacked strength, Sherrod does. That is a double point. First, its the reason Sherrod isn't really as suited for the right side, while Bulaga was. Second its the reason Sherrod isn't as ready to start as Bulaga was. You can't gain any strength in an NFL training camp, you need an offseason. Technique you can learn within a training camp. Sherrod is destined to be a backup for a year, its in everyones best interest.

One other point, Bulaga has a tighter frame (shorter arms and legs), which is also better for a RT than a LT, while Sherrod has a longer frame. Sherrod is almost a true LT in every sense of the model.