PDA

View Full Version : Bear game

GrnBay007
08-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Anyone watching the Bear game? I know, I know......it's the only game on here right now so what the hell. Anyway, 49'ers are winning 10-0 at the beginning of the 2nd Quarter. All 10 points were on Bear turnovers. :D
Grossman started. Don't know much else... just found the game.

All I have to say is if the Bear game is televised here, the Packer game better be on tomorrow night!!!!

J-Rok
08-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Yeah, and Grossman looks terrible. Alex Smith outplayed him. 1st stringers got five yards rushing, turned the ball over twice, three drives with four or less plays, and the defense didn't do anything worth mentioning.

Best play came from that Ricky Manning. Great tackle.

Packnut
08-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Yeah, it's only pre-season BUT, If I'm a Bears fan, I'm more than a little worried about the pathetic offensive showing. Grossman looks terrible. Gore running wild over that vaunted Bears D.

Best thing that can happen for us is to have Griese come in and play well. Nothing like a little QB controversey to split a team in 2!

J-Rok
08-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Jinx. Haha, it looks like we share the same opinion.

GrnBay007
08-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Grossman overthrew a lot!

I wouldn't even have made this thread about the bears but it ticked me off.....the only highlights of the bears 2005 season they have shown (at least that I've seen) is the Packer/Bear game where the bears manhandled Favre.

Packnut
08-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Great minds think a like??????????? LOL

GrnBay007
08-11-2006, 10:12 PM
17-0 hehe :twisted:

J-Rok
08-11-2006, 10:14 PM
I only watched to see if the Bears offense could move the ball. I didn't expect them to be outplayed, though. Television gold for a packer fan.

Too bad all the starters are out now. I'd love to see more fumbles for touchdowns.

Packnut
08-11-2006, 10:14 PM

I wouldn't even have made this thread about the bears but it ticked me off.....the only highlights of the bears 2005 season they have shown (at least that I've seen) is the Packer/Bear game where the bears manhandled Favre.

Yep, showing Brett with the bloody hand SUCKED! You guys are gonna have to talk me out of it, cause I'm seriously considering selling my soul in retorn for an 0-16 season for the Bears.

GrnBay007
08-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Griese came in mid 2nd Q and it looked like a different O. Made it look easy going down 75 yrds to score. Now 17-7. They said Rex looked a little "rusty".....lol Has Rex ever looked oiled??? :razz:

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-11-2006, 10:34 PM
The only way we lose week one is if the offense turns the ball over because there is no reason for the bears to score more than 10 points against our improved D.

woodbuck27
08-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Well - how's it been, going? woodbuck27

08/10/06

Grossman creating a controversy-free QB zone

By Gene Chamberlain
SUN-TIMES NEWS GROUP

So far, the two words dreaded most by NFL coaches have yet to be uttered in Bears training camp.

They are, of course, "quarterback" and "controversy."

Quarterback Rex Grossman has done his best to make any type of open competition at the position with veteran backup Brian Griese unthinkable during the first two weeks of camp.

"I like what Rex has done throughout," Bears coach Lovie Smith said. "There will be some days when the defense will make a few good plays and you'll see an interception here or there, but Rex has been good since the off-season started."

Rex Grossman arrived at Bears training camp already feeling far ahead of his starting point last camp due to his knowledge of coordinator Ron Turner's offense.

The Bears believe he has shown a higher lever of play in Bourbonnais, and he'll get the chance to put this knowledge on display in a brief first-quarter stint against the San Francisco 49ers during Friday night's preseason opener.

Griese is going to have to make some type of in-roads in the first three preseason games playing against backups while Grossman faces starters. The fourth preseason game is too late, since teams use it as a game to rest starters for the regular-season opener.

Turner's critique of Griese's performance thus far hardly suggests the type of charging presence capable of offering such a challenge before the regular season.

"He's very smart, he has picked it up pretty well," Turner said about Griese's mastery of the offense. "There are some things that are a little bit different, that are going to take a little bit of time.

"But I'm anxious to see how he does (in the game)."

Coaches aren't the only ones who've noticed Grossman's higher level of play or the improvement in an aerial attack which finished 31st last year in yardage.

"I've been pretty impressed," wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad said. "I think Rex has done a really good job and people have to remember we are going against a pretty good defense every day.

"Even the greatest quarterbacks I've heard have thrown at least five picks in one day (of practice). I haven't seen that out of Rex. He may make a bad play here and there, but we still have been very productive over all."

Improvement in Grossman and the passing attack was never more apparent than at the end of Tuesday night's practice in Bourbonnais. They drove straight downfield 80 yards in a two-minute drill to a touchdown in four completions against the first-team defense.

Grossman has maintained he'll be much further ahead despite his lack of playing experience chiefly because he is finally in the same offense for consecutive seasons. Muhammad sees talent as a reason, as well.

"Some things are God-given, man," Muhammad said. "Some things you can't teach. Certain guys can work real hard and their potential will go only so far as God allows them to go talent-wise.

"I'm not surprised at how far Rex has matured into what he's doing."

Grossman maintains the Bears' passing attack is even better than it has looked in practice because the Bears' defense is so dominant. There have been some practices when all the Bears' quarterbacks suffered multiple interceptions.

"It makes us a lot better," Grossman said. "If we were playing against the worst defense in the league we might get some easy (coverage) looks that aren't realistic, so we're playing against the best and it's only going to make us better.

"We're playing against the best defense in the league, so whenever we do anything good, we're pretty proud of it. We want to get on their level as well."

Bears coach Lovie Smith sees an added benefit to facing the Bears' defense day in and day out.

"It has to make our offense better, and this year, with the new coaches coming in (the division), Detroit and Minnesota will both run (the same) form of our defense so it's great work for our offense," Smith said.

It's possible improvement in Grossman and the passing attack may not be apparent in the first preseason game.

One reason is they'll get very little opportunity. The first-team offense will only get about a quarter to play.

"We're just trying to get into a rhythm in live football, move the chains and get into some situations and just practice while the game is live," Grossman said. "The game doesn't count but we still want to get in and out of the huddle with a rhythm and try not to make any mistakes and keep gaining confidence as a unit."

Also, Grossman will be operating in an entirely vanilla game plan. The 49ers are the only preseason opponent the Bears also face during the regular season (Oct. 29 at Soldier Field), so they'll avoid tipping their hand.

Nor will Grossman be operating an offense with a full complement of weapons. He's likely to have Muhammad, but may not have second receiver Bernard Berrian (hip flexor). And the Bears' first two running backs — Cedric Benson (shoulder) and Thomas Jones (hamstring) — are out.

"He just needs to go out and run the offense and regardless of who's out there, just go out and do his job," Turner said. "And that's what we're looking for from Rex: just go out and run the offense, that's the biggest thing we're looking for from him."

It's the type of thing which certainly would nip any quarterback controversy in the bud.

Comment:

mmmm, sure ?

Joemailman
08-11-2006, 10:36 PM
17-0 hehe :twisted:

How terribly vindictive of you to delight in the suffering of others. Oh wait, did you say the Bears? Pile it on! A little eye gouging wouldn't be out of the question. :twisted:

J-Rok
08-11-2006, 10:37 PM
I guess if 3-11 for 47 yards and no touchdowns makes the bears happy, who am I to judge.

Joemailman
08-11-2006, 10:38 PM

Yep, showing Brett with the bloody hand SUCKED! You guys are gonna have to talk me out of it, cause I'm seriously considering selling my soul in retorn for an 0-16 season for the Bears.

No need for that. We don't mind if they beat the Queens!

Willard
08-11-2006, 10:38 PM
I accidentally started a different thread on this game....here are my comments:

I'm watching the bear/49er pre-season game on TV out here in CA. Since the bears are the Pack's week1 opponent I thought I'd provide my amateur scouting report. Here are some observations:

Grossman is ice cold starting out. 4 of his first 6 passes have been way off. On his first completion the receiver got stripped and turned the ball over. Another pass should have been picked.

The bears' first series was 3 passes (before the fumble). So much for establishing the run! Maybe it has something to do with the fact that A. Peterson is the starting halfback tonight.

Adrian is not doing much with his carries. bears' second possession results in a punt after one first down. Poor runs, and bad passes.

Niners are moving the ball on the bears' first team D. Alex Smith seems better than last year. He is having a lot of success in planned rollouts & bootlegs -- then passing on the run. Could be a strategy against the bears' d-line--don't stand in the pocket; stay on the move.

Niners have had the ball twice and moved it both times with runs up the gut, but mainly threw passes on the run by Alex Smith. Field goal and punt in first two possessions. Nothing from Vern Davis yet.

bears's 3rd series: run on 1st down for -1 yd. 2nd down 9yd completion on slant pass to Berrian. 3rd down: Grossman fumbles the snap, then fumbles his recovery attempt and a 49ers LB picks it up and runs for a touchdown!

bears' 4th series: Peterson for 3 yds on 1st down. Grossman throws up a dangerous pass 25 yds down the sideline that falls incomplete. Easily could have been picked. On 3rd own Grossman gets flustered and underthrows his receiver. CHI punts again.

Smith continues to be successful throwing on the run in planned rollouts. Gore is running well, and is catching balls in the middle of the field. Urlacher is quiet/invisible. Gore catches a nice screen pass for another 1st down.

End of Q1: Niners lead 10-0. Niners have 110 total yards versus 53 for the bears.

Niners still driving, more to come......

Packnut
08-11-2006, 10:45 PM

No need for that. We don't mind if they beat the Queens!

Ok 2-14

Willard
08-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Grossman is still in the game in Q2. He stated out their 5th series with a terible pass--way off. He is 3 for 10 for 47 yards.
ANother -1 yd run by Peterson. ANother 3rd down incompletion by Grossman. CHI punts again!

Smith and Antonio Bryant are shredding the middle of the bears' defense. I don't think I've heard Urlacher's name yet in this game. Gore picks up the 1st on a 4th and 1 run up the middle.

Once again, Smith rolls-out to the right (fast) and hits his man (Battle) about 15-20 yds down field. Favre needs to move out of the pocket to avoid those killer hits he absorbed last year against these guys!

NIners run up the middle from 2yds out for the TD! 17-0! Brian? Brian?

GrnBay007
08-11-2006, 10:59 PM
I know it's only one preseason game, but in this game there is NO comparison between the play of Griese and Grossman. Griese for a TD and the bears are back in the game.

Rex might actually not get hurt this season.....tough to get hurt holding the clipboard on the sideline.

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2006, 11:01 PM
"Fall Down, Chicago Bears. You're not in first anymore."

Bretsky
08-11-2006, 11:02 PM
WHAT CHANNEL IS THIS DAM GAME ON ?

Willard
08-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Griese is now in. Grossman had a terrible showing. Oh my God, I hope we get to play against the QB I just saw!

Already Griese is moving the Bears better than Grossman did.
Peterson is out; Pope is now RB for CHI. I think the Niners have their 2nd string D on the field. I see Manny Lawson. Griese definitely has some zip on the ball. He definitely looks better than Grossman tonight.

Griese throws TD pass to David Reid. 17-7.

Since a lot of the starters are out I won't continue my play-by-play.

Highlights:

(1) Grossman sucked
(2) Adrian Peterson is definitely a 3rd stringer (or bears' running game is in trouble).
(3) Brian U. was invisible
(4) Vernon Davis was invisible
(5) Alex Smith seems much improved (after a year of solid coaching from Mike McCarthey finally sinks in :wink: )

(6) Pack can run on this team, and pass out of the pocket on planned roll-outs.

Sept 10 prediction: Pack 34, bears 13.

GrnBay007
08-11-2006, 11:04 PM

Fox here.

GrnBay007
08-11-2006, 11:06 PM

No doubt if they don't improve big time. I sure hope they start Rex against the Packers!! :razz:

Willard
08-11-2006, 11:08 PM

Fox here.

I'm watching the local CBS channel in San Francisco. Its funny listening to the sportscasters because they sound like I would expect the Packer announcers to sound like. I.e., "Last year was a fluke....we had so many injuries....we had a great draft.......we will be much better this year....etc"

August is for optimism. Go Pack!

woodbuck27
08-11-2006, 11:11 PM

No doubt if they don't improve big time. I sure hope they start Rex against the Packers!! :razz:

Alot of Bear players, are going to leave their soap bars on the floor of the showers - before Rex Grossman enters. :mrgreen:

GrnBay007
Orton is up next. This should be good. :roll:

J-Rok
I hate to say it again, but their starters looked terrible, miserable, etc..

A few Bears fans of mine aren't scared, though. They still think they're going to the Super Bowl. All I know is if the 49ers can do that to the Bears, I'm excited to see what we can do.

I'm also glad of Vernon Davis' lack of doing anything. Hopefully Hawk proves us right.

Willard
08-11-2006, 11:13 PM
1st half stat highlights:

Bears get 4 first downs, and hold the ball for all of 8:44.

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2006, 11:17 PM
It's preseason folks. Not only do the starters not play much, but there is pretty close to zero game-planning.

GrnBay007
08-11-2006, 11:19 PM
It's preseason folks. Not only do the starters not play much, but there is pretty close to zero game-planning.

C'mon Harv, don't burst the bubble! :razz:

This has been fun to watch.

Joemailman
08-11-2006, 11:20 PM
That was Harvey doing his best SOV imitation. :razz:

Willard
08-11-2006, 11:22 PM

C'mon Harv, don't burst the bubble! :razz:

This has been fun to watch.

I was just pleasantly surprised to see Grossman look so flustered. I always thought he played with some mojo.....at least for the 15 minutes before he would get injured!

GrnBay007
08-11-2006, 11:29 PM
I was just pleasantly surprised to see Grossman look so flustered. I always thought he played with some mojo.....at least for the 15 minutes before he would get injured!

LOL!!!

OKC PackerFan
08-11-2006, 11:52 PM
BEARS FORUM IN MELT DOWN, GOTTA READ THIS TO THE LAST PAGE.
:twisted: It's hilarious.

Lots of chest thumping until 2nd offensive series.

http://bears.hosttown.com/index.php?showtopic=128406&st=0

Melt down starts on page 11. :razz:

GrnBay007
08-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Final SF 28 bears 14.

Griese was very humble after the game when asked if he could help Rex......lol

pack4to84
08-12-2006, 08:54 AM
BEARS FORUM IN MELT DOWN, GOTTA READ THIS TO THE LAST PAGE.
Twisted Evil It's hilarious.

Lots of chest thumping until 2nd offensive series.

http://bears.hosttown.com/index.php?showtopic=128406&st=0

Melt down starts on page 11. Razz

can't stop reading its making my day. Maybe Rex extended his career by getting hurt the last 3 years. Alex Smith looked good againtst the 2nd rank Bears D. Rex looks bad against 32nd rank 49ers D.

Rastak
08-12-2006, 08:57 AM
Final SF 28 bears 14.

Griese was very humble after the game when asked if he could help Rex......lol

I tivo'd it off the NFL network and will watch it shortly.....Lions looked pretty solid as a side note.

edit: Just watched the 1st quarter and Bears did look bad.....real bad.

The Shadow
08-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Mediocre quarterbacking will once again be the curse of the Bears.
After all these years that team STILL doesn't get it.

4and12to12and4
08-12-2006, 03:08 PM
I went to the Bear's training camp two weeks ago and reported that Grossman was hitting almost everyone right on the numbers, but the few that he missed were balls that kept arching upwards through the hands of his receivers. I had also noticed that while he was standing right next to me as he signed autographs he was AT LEAST an inch shorter than me even with his cleats on, and I am 6 feet tall. He is listed at 6' 1". He's probably closer to 5'10". My buddies who are Bear's fans said that they noticed that his passes tend to be always going out of his hands upwards, maybe because of his height. That was their take on it anyways. So, after watching the Bear's against SF, I watched for it, and he was missing alot of passes high. Just an observation.

It was great to see him missing everything. Orton had an EASY pass to his left to a running back off the sideline, about a yard deep and threw it WAY over his head. SF was running and passing all game long almost at will. It didn't matter what QB was in, they tore up Chicago's defense. It was great!! Note: I didn't see Vernon Davis anywhere. Did I miss something? I know he wasn't in as their No. 1 TE, but did he even suit up?

J-Rok
08-12-2006, 03:28 PM
He was in. The only time I heard his name was when they had a close-up of the huddle with his back right in front of the camera, the announcers then said that the 49ers had a great tight-end tandem.

GrnBay007
08-14-2006, 04:35 PM
A bear fan co-worker said today (not joking) that he expects them to go 13-3 this season and IF they can beat Seattle he can see an undefeated season. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Can anyone see them go 13-3?

BananaMan
08-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Not with any of the quarterbacks they have on the roster. Greise is by far the best, but even he isn't that good.