PDA

View Full Version : Al Harris to receive Superbowl Ring

Lurker64
05-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Reported on Twitter by Kareem Copeland from the Press-Gazette who is covering the Tailgate Tour, Mark Murphy confirmed that the organization would be giving Al a ring.

http://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/68820245577601026

pbmax
05-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Well good for Al. And now we have something to rehash old arguments over.

Brandon494
05-12-2011, 07:42 PM
I like Al Harris and all but thats weak! He didnt play one snap nor did he finish the season with Packers.

gbgary
05-12-2011, 07:45 PM
I like Al Harris and all but thats weak! He didnt play one snap nor did he finish the season with Packers.

it wasn't by al's choice. he was willing and ready. take it as a reward for time served.

Brandon494
05-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Might as well give Kampman one too then

Lurker64
05-12-2011, 07:57 PM

Al was at least with the Packers (on the PUP list) for the beginning of the season. I wouldn't give rings to anybody who was never a Packer during the championship year.

get louder at lambeau
05-12-2011, 08:07 PM

They tried. They offered him a contract. If he accepted it, he'd have a ring.

bobblehead
05-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Class player, class organization. The #1 player I want to see back in GB as a coach.

Brandon494
05-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Class player, class organization. The #1 player I want to see back in GB as a coach.

Packers linebacker Nick Barnett tweeted, “wow that’s a class act org” soon after the Press-Gazette announced Murphy’s statement.

SkinBasket
05-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Packers linebacker Nick Barnett tweeted, “wow that’s a class act org” soon after the Press-Gazette announced Murphy’s statement.

Then it was obviously a stupid move. Just the the enemy of my enemy is my friend, the acclaim of stupidity is stupidity.

mraynrand
05-12-2011, 08:38 PM

just so long as they don't ask him to teach zone

MJZiggy
05-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Reported on Twitter by Kareem Copeland from the Press-Gazette who is covering the Tailgate Tour, Mark Murphy confirmed that the organization would be giving Al a ring.

http://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/68820245577601026

Now if only the rest of the team could get them...

Al was on the team. No reason he shouldn't have a ring. Kampman's decision was his own. He had the choice of staying with a team that had a shot at the championship. He chose otherwise and was not on the team. There's not a comparison. And I'd love to see Al coaching too.

KYPack
05-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Al was a great guy and player. I think it is a classy move by the team.

It's just a ring, they give out a bunch of 'em, but you know it means a lot to Al.

King Friday
05-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Classy move by the organization, although the thing probably feels hollow to Al regardless. The guy knows he didn't contribute a lick this year...so I would almost be embarrassed to be seen with the damn ring.

Jimx29
05-12-2011, 10:08 PM
QFT

Tarlam!
05-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Al is a great guy and was a great player. I think it is a classy move by the team.

It's just a ring, they give out a bunch of 'em, but you know it means a lot to Al.

Fixed. And I agree.

Brandon, you are becoming such a dick on this board. Is this your purpose in life?

TennesseePackerBacker
05-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Classy move by the organization, although the thing probably feels hollow to Al regardless. The guy knows he didn't contribute a lick this year...so I would almost be embarrassed to be seen with the damn ring.

Not sure if I believe this or not, but maybe his impact was the teaching of our younger cb's.

Freak Out
05-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Nice to see.....he was on the team so why not. Class move by GB and well deserved for AH. One of the greatest GB playoff memories ever was his pick 6 against the Walrus and his chicks. Go Al!

Brandon494
05-13-2011, 04:45 AM
Fixed. And I agree.

Brandon, you are becoming such a dick on this board. Is this your purpose in life?

Maybe you should stop beig soft as baby doo doo. Al Harris was one of my favorite packers when he played but he didn't play one snap for the team this year. Like Friday said if I was Al Harris I'd be embarrassed to even show it off because he knows deep down he didnt earn it.

KYPack
05-13-2011, 07:39 AM
Fixed. And I agree.

Thanks, Tar.

Had my tenses screwed up.

Brandon, not so shrill all the time, pls.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2011, 08:05 AM

Nah. This speaks volumes about how the Packer's feel about Al, and that's what he'll treasure.

Tarlam!
05-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Maybe you should stop beig soft as baby doo doo. Al Harris was one of my favorite packers when he played but he didn't play one snap for the team this year. Like Friday said if I was Al Harris I'd be embarrassed to even show it off because he knows deep down he didnt earn it.

Soft as baby doo doo? Haaaaah! You have no idea about me or what I've been through in my life. I merely flagged that you're making very few friends around here. Everyone has a right to their opinion - that's why we're here! But we don't have to be pricks in voicing them.

pbmax
05-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Everyone stop getting your panties in a twist because someone doesn't agree with you. This was a multiple page thread of disagreement when it was first discussed after the Super Bowl and many held the same opinion as Brandon (and even more held Friday's opinion that Al might consider not accepting it).

Nothing in this thread was out of bounds until posters started arguing with each other instead of the topic.

Brandon494
05-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Its a message board, I post here to talk Packer football not make friends. BTW I'm not a dick to anyone on this board unless they start with me first. Feel free to use the ignore feature on me if my posting annoys you but I'm not going to change my ways.

Smeefers
05-13-2011, 09:12 AM
I'll just restate my opinion from earlier. I'm fine with Al getting a ring, I just don't know if he deserves one. I suppose if they give one to the grounds keeper, they might as well give it to Al too. I'm sure he took part of team meetings during the season while he was on the pup list and I'm also sure that he had a hand in coaching up shields, lee, bush and so on. That said, he's not a coach, he's a player and he didn't play. The practice squad guys did more than he did.

Tarlam!
05-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Its a message board, I post here to talk Packer football not make friends. BTW I'm not a dick to anyone on this board unless they start with me first. Feel free to use the ignore feature on me if my posting annoys you but I'm not going to change my ways.

I've seen your type come and go. Be a dick to me all you want. I'll just take you for what you are. a racist know nothing. The only thing you have going for you is your love of G&G. That we share. Little else.

Brandon494
05-13-2011, 09:46 AM
What are you talking about? I've never started shit with you until you called me a dick because I felt Harris didn't deserve a ring. I don't know why your acting like a douche right now but if you have a problem you can pm me so we can keep this thread on the main topic.

Zool
05-13-2011, 09:56 AM
My penis is clearly larger than anyone else here. Think they'll give me a SB ring?

get louder at lambeau
05-13-2011, 09:59 AM
My penis is clearly larger than anyone else here. Think they'll give me a SB ring?

I don't think they are that kind of rings. I think they are for wearing on your finger.

mraynrand
05-13-2011, 10:16 AM
I don't think they are that kind of rings. I think they are for wearing on your finger.

I don't get that kind of ring at all. If you get it sized at one time, your are going to be in pain later. If you get it sized at another time, you are going to lose the ring later. Pain or loss, that is your destiny.

BTW, I agree with that Brando guy - if I were Al, I think I would be kinda embarrassed to wear the thing. But I would probably be more embarrassed if I were Atari Bigby, so what difference does it make.

get louder at lambeau
05-13-2011, 10:48 AM
I don't get that kind of ring at all. If you get it sized at one time, your are going to be in pain later. If you get it sized at another time, you are going to lose the ring later. Pain or loss, that is your destiny.

BTW, I agree with that Brando guy - if I were Al, I think I would be kinda embarrassed to wear the thing. But I would probably be more embarrassed if I were Atari Bigby, so what difference does it make.

Hey, Bigby had a tackle in the Super Bowl. He can wear that ring proudly. On his finger, of course.

Tarlam!
05-13-2011, 11:00 AM
What are you talking about? I've never started shit with you until you called me a dick because I felt Harris didn't deserve a ring. I don't know why your acting like a douche right now but if you have a problem you can pm me so we can keep this thread on the main topic.

I won't PM you. I'm calling you out as a racist and a trouble maker. Maybe I'm wrong - Sheat, I've had to admit that over the yeeas often enough. My calling you out has little to do with Harris. It has everything to do with your persona here. You've made it a point to defend every african-american cause that arises with a racist bias. Look, I'm an Aussie and when i was 12, my girlfriend was an aboriginee. She was beautiful and i wish I still had her. My dad was a Nazi. He hated Jews and begged me to never marry one. I never met one, so it was a none issue.

But I cannot stand the way you provoke the good people of this forum. It irks me. You're obviously intelligent, but for some reason you choose proletarism, I don't get it. I don't accept it. And, be aware, I will haunt your every sarcastic post until you stop with this shit. Just a promise.

Patler
05-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Will Mike Montgomery get a ring?

How about Maurice Simpkins?

Spencer Havner?

get louder at lambeau
05-13-2011, 11:21 AM

Spencer Havner?

Yes.
Yes.
And yes.

Just my guess.

hoosier
05-13-2011, 11:27 AM
I won't PM you. I'm calling you out as a racist and a trouble maker. Maybe I'm wrong - Sheat, I've had to admit that over the yeeas often enough. My calling you out has little to do with Harris. It has everything to do with your persona here. You've made it a point to defend every african-american cause that arises with a racist bias. Look, I'm an Aussie and when i was 12, my girlfriend was an aboriginee. She was beautiful and i wish I still had her. My dad was a Nazi. He hated Jews and begged me to never marry one. I never met one, so it was a none issue.

But I cannot stand the way you provoke the good people of this forum. It irks me. You're obviously intelligent, but for some reason you choose proletarism, I don't get it. I don't accept it. And, be aware, I will haunt your every sarcastic post until you stop with this shit. Just a promise.

You're not making any sense here. Brandon was arguing that Harris, who happens to be black, shouldn't get a SB ring. You accuse him of "defending avery african american cause with a racist bias." Huh?

So Brandon's internet persona is a little argumentative. That hardly makes him unique around here. But as far as I can see you're the only one who keeps coming back to the race thing. Why?

pbmax
05-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Tar: please clear out you PM Inbox for Pete's sake!

Patler
05-13-2011, 11:44 AM

Spencer Havner?

Yes.
Yes.
And yes.

Just my guess.

I agree.

I wonder about all of the PS guys. They signed and released a bunch of those this year as well. I suspect they might be a little more choosy when it comes to them, and guys who were around only a week or so might be left off the list.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Murphy just texted me. I'm getting one.

Pugger
05-13-2011, 12:07 PM
This isn't the first time the Packers gave a Super Bowl ring to a player that was not on the roster when they won. Ken Ruettgers got one back in 1997.

http://www.journaltimes.com/news/local/article_e4b08571-1854-5ee5-8b97-a06b22f916ac.html

Patler
05-13-2011, 12:20 PM
This isn't the first time the Packers gave a Super Bowl ring to a player that was not on the roster when they won. Ken Ruettgers got one back in 1997.

http://www.journaltimes.com/news/local/article_e4b08571-1854-5ee5-8b97-a06b22f916ac.html

That was very different. Ruettgers was on the roster, and even played in games during the Super Bowl season. He retired during the season when he said he couldn't play anymore because of his knees.

I thought Wolf was being petty at the time when he said Ruettgers wouldn't get one. Rumor was that Wolf was pretty mad when Ruettgers pulled the plug in mid-season.

Pugger
05-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Oh. The article made it appear that Ruettgers retired the year before the SB winning season....? :cnf:

mraynrand
05-13-2011, 12:34 PM
That was very different. Ruettgers was on the roster, and even played in games during the Super Bowl season. He retired during the season when he said he couldn't play anymore because of his knees.

I thought Wolf was being petty at the time when he said Ruettgers wouldn't get one. Rumor was that Wolf was pretty mad when Ruettgers pulled the plug in mid-season.

Ken played one game if I recall, at Dallas. He couldn't go. He was done. If Wolf was upset, maybe he should have been upset at degenerative joints instead of Ken Ruettgers, because I can tell you that guy had nothing left in those knees.

Tarlam!
05-13-2011, 01:42 PM
You're not making any sense here. Brandon was arguing that Harris, who happens to be black, shouldn't get a SB ring. You accuse him of "defending avery african american cause with a racist bias." Huh?

So Brandon's internet persona is a little argumentative. That hardly makes him unique around here. But as far as I can see you're the only one who keeps coming back to the race thing. Why?

Hey, good for you for sticking up for a fellow poster. I admire that. Kudos. And, for he record, I use racisism, because I must be a Nazi thing....shit, I dunno.

pbmax
05-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Ruettgers was active for 4 games and started one that season. The article referencing his retirement the year before was technically correct as he had announced his retirement but was convinced to give it another try by Wolf and Holmgren late in the offseason.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2011, 03:35 PM
So Brandon's internet persona is a little argumentative. That hardly makes him unique around here.

Yeah, not everybody can be as nurturing as Patler and I.

swede
05-13-2011, 03:38 PM
See, I think of Skinbasket when I think of the nurturing Packerrat.

get louder at lambeau
05-13-2011, 03:44 PM

Yeah, you just want to cuddle up into his loving arms after reading one of his posts, don't ya?

mraynrand
05-13-2011, 04:01 PM

If by 'nurturing' you mean 'punch in the uterus,' I agree with you.

Guiness
05-13-2011, 04:11 PM

Spencer Havner?

All three were actually on the 53 man roster. Montgomery and Havner appeared in games, did Simpkins?

I tend to think anyone who got on the field during the season would get a ring, but these three are probably the most borderline.

mraynrand
05-13-2011, 04:17 PM
My dad was a Nazi. He hated Jews and begged me to never marry one. I never met one, so it was a none issue.

Springtime, for Hitler, and Germany!

mraynrand
05-13-2011, 04:18 PM
All three were actually on the 53 man roster. Montgomery and Havner appeared in games, did Simpkins?

I tend to think anyone who got on the field during the season would get a ring, but these three are probably the most borderline.

everyone on the roster should get one, whether they made the field or not. If you had to fetch coffee and HGH for the big boys all year, you ought to get a ring.

Zool
05-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Springtime, for Hitler, and Germany!

Make love AND the master race?

get louder at lambeau
05-13-2011, 04:32 PM
everyone on the roster should get one, whether they made the field or not. If you had to fetch coffee and HGH for the big boys all year, you ought to get a ring.

Was Harris ever on the 53 man roster? I don't think he was. I think he's a good exception to make though.

SkinBasket
05-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Yeah, you just want to cuddle up into his loving arms after reading one of his posts, don't ya?

Your posts taste like your mom's balls.

get louder at lambeau
05-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Your posts taste like your mom's balls.

Stop licking your computer screen, Skin. Or at least wipe it off first.

pbmax
05-13-2011, 07:21 PM
If by 'nurturing' you mean 'punch in the uterus,' I agree with you.

I always think of nurturing a grudge when I read him, but that could just be me.

Pugger
05-14-2011, 04:48 AM
Ruettgers was active for 4 games and started one that season. The article referencing his retirement the year before was technically correct as he had announced his retirement but was convinced to give it another try by Wolf and Holmgren late in the offseason.

Oh, I forgot about that. :oops:

SkinBasket
05-14-2011, 07:22 AM
Stop licking your computer screen, Skin. Or at least wipe it off first.

It's not the screen I've been liking for comparison. And don't worry, I do wipe them off. Lord knows what's goin' on down there!

Tarlam!
05-14-2011, 07:33 AM
As long as there are no fleas, I'm god!

SkinBasket
05-14-2011, 07:34 AM
As long as there are no fleas, I'm god!

I love you, but god? Even for you, that might be exaggerating... a bit.

Tarlam!
05-14-2011, 07:36 AM
Good, I meant good!

packerbacker1234
05-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Class move. Al Harris was a great player in his time here, and he deserves "something" for working his ass off to attempt to be part of this Super Bowl run. While he "recovered" and the packers decided it was best to part ways instead of activate him, he deserves SOMETHING. He was part of this organization, and may have been a crucial mentor for Tramon Williams. We all saw his rehab videos, and we know the pain and suffering he undured to try and be part of the roster.

This is clearly a respect move by the packers. Harris's career may be over (lets face it, he was hobbling around out there when he did play), but that doesn't mean his relationship with this franchise is tarnished. He was likely at all the meetings the entire time he was rehabbing in house, and as interviews showed he was in the locker room. Like taucher (who did play), he was likely a great locker room presence for when he was there.

The packers clearly were very quite to Harris when he was medically cleared to practice. If anything, this is a the greatest sign of respect the packers could give him. Harris should not feel ashamed. He worked his ass off to try and be a part of this run, but unfortunately for him the injury last season jsut wasn't something he could come back from 100%.

Deputy Nutz
05-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Skin slaps his balls against the computer skin. I have seen him do it, he kept saying something about all the wonderful butterflies.

Tarlam!
05-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Skin slaps his balls against the computer skin. I have seen him do it, he kept saying something about all the wonderful butterflies.

There's a song or a poem in that knowledge somewhere.....

Zool
05-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Penis

mraynrand
05-17-2011, 08:54 AM
I wonder if Al could get $73,409 for his ring?

Fritz
05-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Ken played one game if I recall, at Dallas. He couldn't go. He was done. If Wolf was upset, maybe he should have been upset at degenerative joints instead of Ken Ruettgers, because I can tell you that guy had nothing left in those knees.

Maybe Wolf should have withheld the ring from Ruettger's degenerative joints.

I've been in a few degenerative joints in my time, and none of them had a SB ring, but plenty had mooses' heads smoking cigarettes and wearing baseball hats.