PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Topic: Larry Fitzgerald

Tony Oday
05-14-2011, 03:07 PM
FA in 2012 and highly doubtful he wants to stay in AZ because they are in rebuilding mode. What do you think he would bring in a Trade? 1st and 3rd with a swap of future 6s? Is this something that would be swung by TT? I know he loves draft picks and most of them are turning out quite well but Fitz is a stud and lining up JJ, Finley, Fitzgerald with AR throwing the ball...I think we would have three defensive coordinators in the hospital.

gbgary
05-14-2011, 03:27 PM
tt would never do it. keeping fingers crossed that he would

Guiness
05-14-2011, 03:28 PM
FA in 2012 and highly doubtful he wants to stay in AZ because they are in rebuilding mode. What do you think he would bring in a Trade? 1st and 3rd with a swap of future 6s? Is this something that would be swung by TT? I know he loves draft picks and most of them are turning out quite well but Fitz is a stud and lining up JJ, Finley, Fitzgerald with AR throwing the ball...I think we would have three defensive coordinators in the hospital.

Not a change, and why would he want to, or would the fans want it?

Deepest position on the team, and a very talented crew there. I wouldn't want to see those picks going to that position.

Lurker64
05-14-2011, 04:21 PM
The problem with acquiring Fitzgerald is that Fitzgerald and Jennings are both free agents after the 2012 season. Either you trade for Fitzgerald and lose him in free agency, or you keep Fitzgerald and let Jennings walk. Either way, I don't think it's worth trading much in the way of picks for.

I really think that, as far as acquiring outside talent, TT is going to go even more into the shell than usual since he's got a number of important contracts to do in the next few years. You want to keep your core group of guys like Rodgers, Jennings, Finley, Matthews, Nelson, etc. together and that basically means "you don't go out and get anybody expensive and you don't extend anybody expensive except your core guys". I mean the upcoming bunch of expiring contracts is why we're letting Jenkins walk, and I think we'd probably rather have Cullen Jenkins than Larry Fitzgerald.

retailguy
05-14-2011, 07:45 PM

Look, I'm clearly not a Ted Thompson fan around here. So hopefully what I say here has some merit. Thompson won't do this because he doesn't play fantasy football. Right now, he's assembled one of the deepest WR rosters in the league. At some point, you need to stop "collecting" receivers.

A couple of years ago, I desperately wanted to fill some holes with free agents. But this would've never been something even I would have wished for. I wanted a fullback when we had none. I wanted a linebacker when we had none, and a safety when we had one. But this? Not something I'd have been interested in, nor supported.

3irty1
05-14-2011, 08:01 PM
A trade is crazy. Way more likely that he comes in as a FA the year after.

Lurker64
05-14-2011, 09:16 PM
A trade is crazy. Way more likely that he comes in as a FA the year after.

The same year Jennings is a FA? The only way I can see it is if the Packers make the decision that they'd rather have Fitzgerald (at whatever he'd cost) than Jennings (at whatever he'd cost).

Cheesehead Craig
05-14-2011, 10:20 PM
I'd rather have a WR lineup of Jennings, Jordy, JJ and Cobb than having Fitz come in. Why mess with a good thing?

Tarlam!
05-14-2011, 10:30 PM
...lining up JJ, Finley, Fitzgerald with AR throwing the ball...I think we would have three defensive coordinators in the hospital.

BOMNF!!

But seriously, why all the negativity? I read he was a UFA next season and immediately thought of the same as potential as Tony Oday. I saw his interview comment on Rodgers. I've never heard a complaint about working in a struggling franchise or have I read him throwing a coach or team mate under a bus. He's what I consider a real Packers guy.

Now, if TT sign Jennings this season - as his MO suggests he will - there's no reason to think he won't have enough on the side for Fitz. And hearing Fitz swooning about Rodgers' deep ball is further encouragement.

The only thing against it is it goes against TT's success formula of signing his own UFAs. But, I love the idea per sé.

King Friday
05-14-2011, 11:32 PM
After a draft that was spent almost exclusively on offense, I'm guessing Ted is going to be looking for defense for awhile.

Lurker64
05-15-2011, 12:06 AM
After a draft that was spent almost exclusively on offense, I'm guessing Ted is going to be looking for defense for awhile.

Actually, it's quite probably the opposite. This draft was heavily offensive oriented since Thompson's been drafting defense heavily for years. In 2009 and 2010 Thompson spent exactly one premium pick (third or better) on an offensive player (Bryan Bulaga) versus four he spent on defensive players (Raji, Matthews, Neal, Burnett).

HarveyWallbangers
05-15-2011, 12:28 AM
As a FA, who knows? Probably not, but by 2012 Jennings, Nelson, Jones, and Driver could all be gone. That would leave Cobb.

Deputy Nutz
05-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Not even worth a squirt of piss to discuss.

channtheman
05-15-2011, 01:29 AM
As a FA, who knows? Probably not, but by 2012 Jennings, Nelson, Jones, and Driver could all be gone. That would leave Cobb.

You really think all four of those guys will be gone? I definitely see us keeping Jennings and Jordy around. I think Jones is gone this year and Driver will most likely be done by next year.

HarveyWallbangers
05-15-2011, 01:39 AM
Who knows? Jordy could look for greener pastures. Jennings and Cobb alone wouldn't be enough. Plus, as much as I like Jordy, having him wouldn't keep you from wanting Fitzgerald. It won't happen, but what is a strength now could be a weakness in two years. Three of our five top WRs will be FAs in that time and another will be retired.

Lurker64
05-15-2011, 01:49 AM
Who knows? Jordy could look for greener pastures. Jennings and Cobb alone wouldn't be enough. Plus, as much as I like Jordy, having him wouldn't keep you from wanting Fitzgerald. It won't happen, but what is a strength now could be a weakness in two years. Three of our five top WRs will be FAs in that time and another will be retired.

I think the pecking order for our WRs is set assuming we don't let anybody but James Jones walk. Between Jennings and Cobb, neither are especially big guys so ideally you don't want them having to play the X much (since the X needs to be able to get off of press coverage) which limits them to the Z and Y receivers generally. Driver, Jones, and Jordy are our X receivers (though everybody learns every position, those are the guys you feel best about putting there.) If we let Jones walk, and Driver retires then the role of the primary X falls to Jordy. So I don't think pastures get much greener than that for Nelson. It's his job to lose. That's not to say that Thompson wouldn't consider Larry Fitzgerald to be an upgrade over Jordy Nelson, I'm just thinking that the money you save by extending Nelson instead of signing Fitzgerald is probably well spent keeping a Finley or a Sitton (or a Jennings) from leaving.

Tarlam!
05-15-2011, 02:47 AM

I've heard posters say you aint worth a squirt of piss, Nutz. But, I defended your honour, and i told 'em you are!

Brandon494
05-15-2011, 10:49 AM

OFT

Tony Oday
05-15-2011, 02:53 PM
We are also suspecting that there is a salary cap...I mean I would imagine there is but it is not like GB sucks at making money. Like I said AZ cant let Fitz walk for nothing so if they have the preliminary talks this summer once the lock out is done they will know if he wants to stay or not. If we can work a trade for him I do not think it would be possible to stop this offense.

Deputy Nutz
05-15-2011, 03:51 PM
One, not many Packers that Thompson wants to keep leave for "greener pastures". Not many Packers in general test free agency, they are usually signed a year out and taken care of. Jones is in a gray area right now for the Packers, he hasn't done enough to warrant a large signing when he isn't consistent enough to move up the depth chart to move Driver out of his starting spot or even to be the clear cut 3rd wide out over Nelson. Jenkin has been injured far too often to warrant an extension, and lets face it playing a 3-4 defensive end isn't going to make you a lot of money in comparison to 4-3 defensive end. Over spending on a 3-4 end is a big no-no.