PDA

View Full Version : Jennings rank among Wrs?

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-16-2011, 08:57 PM
NFL network is presenting a ranking of the top 100 players in the NFL. It was recently announced that Jennings is #74 on the list. The surprising thing is that he was told that he was the #14 WR on the list. There is no way I would put 13 Wrs in front of Jennings. This is how my Wr ranking would go.

Top 3:

C. Johnson
A. Johnson
L. Fitzgerald

Next tier for Wrs

G. Jennings
D. Jackson
R. Wayne
R. White

Maybe I can see White, Wayne, and Jackson if front of him , but seriously how else?? I guess NFL players must have W. Welker, M. Wallace, and A. Boldin a lot higher up the list.

This was taken from packersnews:

Jennings leads all NFL receivers with 27 catches for 40 or more yards over the past four seasons. Since 2008 he has been one of the most productive receivers in the league with 37 touchdown passes and nearly 4,000 receiving yards.

In 2010 Jennings was tied for second in the NFL in touchdown catches (12), fourth in receiving yards (1,265), and fifth in average yards per catch (16.6) among receivers with at least 50 catches.

http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2011/05/16/14-nfl-receivers-ranked-ahead-of-packers-jennings/

How would you rank Jennings?

HarveyWallbangers
05-16-2011, 10:45 PM
If he's #14 at WR, then he's still vastly underrated. And it's too many WRs on the top 100 list.

Lurker64
05-16-2011, 11:23 PM
The only reason Jennings would be behind 14 other WRs is if NFL players put way too much emphasis on guys who look the part (6-3 guys who run fast, say) and not on WRs who actually get the job done. We'll probably get something ridiculous like Michael Crabtree and Dez Bryant ahead of Jennings because those are guys who look the part, while 5-11 Jennings just gets the job done.

Guiness
05-16-2011, 11:35 PM
NFL network is presenting a ranking of the top 100 players in the NFL. It was recently announced that Jennings is #74 on the list. The surprising thing is that he was told that he was the #14 WR on the list. There is no way I would put 13 Wrs in front of Jennings. This is how my Wr ranking would go.

Top 3:

C. Johnson
A. Johnson
L. Fitzgerald

Next tier for Wrs

G. Jennings
D. Jackson
R. Wayne
R. White

Maybe I can see White, Wayne, and Jackson if front of him , but seriously how else?? I guess NFL players must have W. Welker, M. Wallace, and A. Boldin a lot higher up the list.

This was taken from packersnews:

Jennings leads all NFL receivers with 27 catches for 40 or more yards over the past four seasons. Since 2008 he has been one of the most productive receivers in the league with 37 touchdown passes and nearly 4,000 receiving yards.

In 2010 Jennings was tied for second in the NFL in touchdown catches (12), fourth in receiving yards (1,265), and fifth in average yards per catch (16.6) among receivers with at least 50 catches.

http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2011/05/16/14-nfl-receivers-ranked-ahead-of-packers-jennings/

How would you rank Jennings?

I'm struggling to think of 13 that are near him as well. Even with everyone you mentioned, that's only 10. I guess some guys like Miles Austin, Santana Moss, Colston are ahead? Help me out here...Brandon Marshall?

Maybe Hines Ward, based on name recognition? I don't think any of the guys I've mentioned are in his league.

Iron Mike
05-17-2011, 06:30 AM
Who else could score a TD against Darren Sharper with a broken leg???

mraynrand
05-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Screw all of you. Jennings is #1. #1!!! #1!!!!! Yay Packers!!!!

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Who else could score a TD against Darren Sharper with a broken leg???

True lol

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-17-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm struggling to think of 13 that are near him as well. Even with everyone you mentioned, that's only 10. I guess some guys like Miles Austin, Santana Moss, Colston are ahead? Help me out here...Brandon Marshall?

Maybe Hines Ward, based on name recognition? I don't think any of the guys I've mentioned are in his league.

You probably guessed it right there. I'll be interested to see who they put in front of him. Maybe Santanio Holmes instead of Santana Moss though. Holmes might be there b/c of his famous superbowl catch. Anyways, I would personally put him between 4-7.

King Friday
05-17-2011, 11:54 AM
I really can't see how you could exclude Jennings from being in the top 10. To do so would make yourself out to be an idiot. I can't possibly name 10 WRs who are definitively better than Jennings.

I certainly could see an argument against him being an elite receiver, as Jennings is not a dominant receiver and benefits greatly from a high octane offense and having QBs named Favre and Rodgers tossing him the ball. I think the same argument can be made against Wayne. However, based on production, you would have to say both are top 10 WRs.

A Johnson, C Johnson, Fitzgerald, and White are all elite talents currently IMO. They have it all...size, speed, and on-field production. After that, I think there is a slight separation to a broad second tier filled with an array of talents. Jennings has every right to demand to be at or near the top of that second tier. Anywhere in the 5th-8th range seems right, depending on how an individual is rating the players.

Scott Campbell
05-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Dez Bryant was ridiculous last year as a rook. If you're rating guys on where they are at right now, vs. past production and longevity, then he's in the mix.

Bretsky
05-17-2011, 12:49 PM
A Johnson
Fitz
Calvin
Roddy

Jennings

I don't see any WR's I'd rate above him after the top 4

RashanGary
05-17-2011, 01:36 PM
A Johnson
Fitz
Calvin
Roddy

Jennings

Agree. 14th is just crazy.

Lurker64
05-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Dez Bryant was ridiculous last year as a rook. If you're rating guys on where they are at right now, vs. past production and longevity, then he's in the mix.

We know that Dez Bryant is not on the list, however. There are only 3 2010 rookies on the list, and already revealed are Eric Berry and Mike Williams(TB). Obviously Ndamukong Suh will be the third rookie.

hoosier
05-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Calvin Johnson
Andre Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Reggie Wayne
Brandon Marshall
Roddy White

Going into 2011 and judging from recent past performance I would put Jennings in a tie for 7th with Marques Colston.

packerbacker1234
05-17-2011, 06:01 PM
I think Boldin could make an argument for being on "par" with Jennings. Although, I think Jennings is more consistent, but you can't debate Boldin's toughness. Even then, I don't see how he would get ahead of Jennings, and I assume he is one of the ones to get ranked ahead. Hard to get your catches when you have Fitzgerald on the other side for most of your career so far.

That, and he's rarely been 100% healthy in the last few years. He's a good WR, but not productive enough to warrant ahead of Jennings amazing statistics.

I could see how Randy Moss was ranked ahead of him if you discount last year. Prior to last season, he had 3 straight probowl seasons, including the record breaking season. Few seasons before that he was a rock star 100+ catch guy in Minnesota. Again though, that takes overall career versus who is better RIGHT NOW.

Brandon494
05-17-2011, 06:22 PM
A Johnson
Fitz
Calvin
Roddy

Jennings

Maybe Brandon Marshall if he wasnt such a headcase. Deshawn Jackson would have to be up there as well but I agree Jennings is for sure a top 6 reciever in the league.

get louder at lambeau
05-17-2011, 06:33 PM
A little off topic, but it's kinda about Jennings-

Cobb has been working out on his own, but this week he will fly to Phoenix and join teammate Greg Jennings in group workouts organized by Arizona Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald. Former NFL receivers coach Jerry Sullivan helps conduct the workouts and recently veteran quarterback Donovan McNabb was there to throw passes.

The Kentucky receiver heard from Jennings soon after the draft and Jennings suggested Cobb come down and work out in Phoenix. Cobb will pack his bags for a several-week stay, hoping to sop up as much knowledge as he can from the others.

"I'm really looking forward to that," Cobb said. "There will be a lot of good receivers and quarterbacks there. They're going to help me to be an NFL receiver. I'll be there two weeks for sure or as soon as the lockout is over."

Shortly after he was drafted, Cobb said he wanted to try to get together with quarterback Aaron Rodgers so he could learn the offense. He meant what he said, but he wasn't sure he'd get that chance.

When Jennings returned his call, Cobb told him he wanted to do anything he could to get himself ready for the season.

"I told him I really want to hook up with him and Aaron and learn as much as I can," Cobb said. "He invited me out there (Phoenix) and said if I needed a place to stay he would help me out. I'm really looking forward to working out with him."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/121965819.html

Brandon494
05-17-2011, 06:35 PM
I think this Cobb kid is going to be a stud...only because his black though.

Lurker64
05-17-2011, 06:37 PM
I think this Cobb kid is going to be a stud...only because his black though.

Well, really... when was the last time a team was successful with three white wide receivers?

get louder at lambeau
05-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Well, really... when was the last time a team was successful with three white wide receivers?

Three white WRs... I wonder what the best possible all-white all-star receiving corps would look like right now-

Maybe...
Wes Welker
Danny Amendola
Jordy Nelson

Not overly impressive, but if you throw in the best white receiving TEs it gets better-
Jason Witten
Chris Cooley

Put Peyton Hillis in the backfield, and you could still field a respectable all-white offense. Barely. I don't think you could make two of them.

Brandon494
05-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Three white WRs... I wonder what the best possible all-white all-star receiving corps would look like right now-

Maybe...
Wes Welker
Danny Amendola
Jordy Nelson

Not overly impressive, but if you throw in the best white receiving TEs it gets better-
Jason Witten
Chris Cooley

Put Peyton Hillis in the backfield, and you could still field a respectable all-white offense. Barely. I don't think you could make two of them.

WR- Kevin Walter, Austin Collie, Brian Hartline

TE- Dallas Clark, Zach Miller, Heath Miller, Greg Olson, Owen Daniels...don't sleep on the white boys, they might not be able to jump but they can catch.

Lurker64
05-17-2011, 07:12 PM
The All-All-White OL would be pretty good though. Joe Thomas, Logan Mankins, Alex Mack, Josh Sitton, Jake Long (off the top of my head).

Brandon494
05-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Nick Mangold would have to be in there. Whos playing CB?

get louder at lambeau
05-17-2011, 07:16 PM
The All-All-White OL would be pretty good though. Joe Thomas, Logan Mankins, Alex Mack, Josh Sitton, Jake Long (off the top of my head).

True, and QB would be unbelievably stacked.

Lurker64
05-17-2011, 07:18 PM

Mack vs. Mangold is a bit of a toss-up as I see it. The all-white team has no cornerbacks, but they do have a lot of safeties. For this reason, the white guys will have to score a lot of points if they go up against any other races.

get louder at lambeau
05-17-2011, 07:24 PM
The All-all-white DL would probably have to be a 4-3. I don't think there are any white nose tackles, are there?

Lurker64
05-17-2011, 07:30 PM
The All-all-white DL would probably have to be a 4-3. I don't think there are any white nose tackles, are there?

Kelly Gregg, Baltimore NT. That's the only one I can think of. You could start Aaron Smith, Kelly Gregg, and Igor Olshansky as the All-All-White defensive line in the 3-4 though.

Guiness
05-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Cobb has been working out on his own, but this week he will fly to Phoenix and join teammate Greg Jennings in group workouts organized by Arizona Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald. Former NFL receivers coach Jerry Sullivan helps conduct the workouts and recently veteran quarterback Donovan McNabb was there to throw passes.

Dollar-wise, It's got to be tough for these rookies to run around trying to join up with their team mates. They don't have a contract/signing bonus, haven't gotten any game checks, and just got out of college. Even if they don't have any student loan debts, you wouldn't think they've got a bunch of money lying around to splurge on plane tickets, and with the current situation, I don't know where they're going to get the money - unless they go for one of those high-risk loans that were discussed in another thread.

Bretsky
05-17-2011, 10:17 PM

Bring Back Jason Sehorn :)

King Friday
05-17-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm sure he has access to some resources...be it his new teammates, his agent, etc. A flight to Phoenix isn't THAT expensive. I could see your point in terms of late round picks, but not top 100 picks.

A loan would only be high risk if the kid wanted a wheelbarrow full of money. A common sense loan for $10K to last through the summer isn't all that risky, provided the kid has enough brains not to blow it in one night at the strip club. As a second round pick, he's going to be netting a couple hundred thousand in a signing bonus once he signs his first contract...so $10K is a drop in the bucket to get a head start on his NFL career.

I would hope a kid could make $10K last through 3-4 months.

get louder at lambeau
05-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Dollar-wise, It's got to be tough for these rookies to run around trying to join up with their team mates. They don't have a contract/signing bonus, haven't gotten any game checks, and just got out of college. Even if they don't have any student loan debts, you wouldn't think they've got a bunch of money lying around to splurge on plane tickets, and with the current situation, I don't know where they're going to get the money - unless they go for one of those high-risk loans that were discussed in another thread.

That story says that Jennings offered to help him out if he needed somewhere to stay. I think the moral is that Cobb just needs to drive out there and Jennings will cover him.

swede
05-17-2011, 11:10 PM
LOL you guys...the All-white team riff was great :)

Smeefers
05-18-2011, 10:00 AM
I couldn't even tell you who the last white CB was. I don't think there has been one since I've been alive. 1981. Sure, plenty of safeties... but CB?

channtheman
05-18-2011, 10:25 AM
What about black punters? I don't think I've ever seen one.

Brandon494
05-18-2011, 10:29 AM

I know the Browns have a black punter because he ran a fake punt like 80 yards last season.

Brandon494
05-18-2011, 10:31 AM
I couldn't even tell you who the last white CB was. I don't think there has been one since I've been alive. 1981. Sure, plenty of safeties... but CB?

Jason Seahorn who played for the Giants

Patler
05-18-2011, 10:51 AM

Reggie Roby. Numerous times all-pro and pro-bowl selection. One of the best in the league from the early 1980s to the late 1990s. Was with the Dolphins for most of his career. Later years with the Redskins and a couple other teams, I think. He was a very big punter at the time, although I don't know if he would be considered that today. He died a while ago as a young man.

Zool
05-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Reggie Roby. Numerous times all-pro and pro-bowl selection. One of the best in the league from the early 1980s to the late 1990s. Was with the Dolphins for most of his career. Later years with the Redskins and a couple other teams, I think. He was a very big punter at the time, although I don't know if he would be considered that today. He died a while ago as a young man.

And he always wore a digital watch during games

Patler
05-18-2011, 11:03 AM
And he always wore a digital watch during games

He did? Seriously? Any known reasons why, or just a quirk/superstition?

Zool
05-18-2011, 11:08 AM
He did? Seriously? Any known reasons why, or just a quirk/superstition?

I always assumed it was quirk/superstition but I can't find any info to verify.

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/_photos/2005-02-22-roby-fr.jpg

Patler
05-18-2011, 11:18 AM
I found this:

Roby even wore a watch during games to help time his punts. Former Miami defensive end and linebacker Kim Bokamper credited Roby with being one of the first two-step punters who changed the speed of getting a punt off.

Ballboy
05-18-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm sure he has access to some resources...be it his new teammates, his agent, etc. A flight to Phoenix isn't THAT expensive. I could see your point in terms of late round picks, but not top 100 picks.

A loan would only be high risk if the kid wanted a wheelbarrow full of money. A common sense loan for $10K to last through the summer isn't all that risky, provided the kid has enough brains not to blow it in one night at the strip club. As a second round pick, he's going to be netting a couple hundred thousand in a signing bonus once he signs his first contract...so $10K is a drop in the bucket to get a head start on his NFL career.

I would hope a kid could make $10K last through 3-4 months.

I wondered as well about the money. Someone suggested to me that maybe the Agents are giving the players money from them, based on a percentage of what the signing bonus money might look like and/or first year salary from the players of years past got.

bobblehead
05-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Reggie Roby was a black punter...Brando loved him.

Guiness
05-18-2011, 12:51 PM
I wondered as well about the money. Someone suggested to me that maybe the Agents are giving the players money from them, based on a percentage of what the signing bonus money might look like and/or first year salary from the players of years past got.

The only risk is if the season gets cancelled - then it might take a while to get the money back, but it should eventually show up for first and second day picks. If I was doing the lending though, and had any feeling this season might not happen, I don't think I'd drop too much money on day 3 picks. If another crop of players comes along before they go through a training camp, the chance of them not getting signed at all goes way up.

$10K would get a normal student up and running, but may not go far for a jet setting pro athlete attending a training camp. Motel rooms, three meals a day in decent restaurants (their nutritional needs aren't the same as ours), rental car, massage therapists...10K dries up in a hurry. If their millionaire team mates are forking over some money, they may do ok, but I wonder how much liquid cash an agent would have at hand. Ten rookies each looking for $20K to get them through stretches most lines of credit pretty thin!

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Rodney Williams used to punt for the Gaints I remember.

Tarlam!
05-19-2011, 04:11 AM
$10K would get a normal student up and running, but may not go far for a jet setting pro athlete attending a training camp. Motel rooms, three meals a day in decent restaurants (their nutritional needs aren't the same as ours), rental car, massage therapists...10K dries up in a hurry. If their millionaire team mates are forking over some money, they may do ok, but I wonder how much liquid cash an agent would have at hand. Ten rookies each looking for $20K to get them through stretches most lines of credit pretty thin!

Agree, but Jennings offered to help him out finding accomodation. Maybe that included a loan or something. At any rate, I love this Cobb's 'tude! He's certainly talking the talk.

Smeefers
05-19-2011, 06:44 AM
Fine fine, you got me on the CB thing, but can anyone tell me who the last polish long snapper in the league was? :lol:

swede
05-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Fine fine, you got me on the CB thing, but can anyone tell me who the last polish long snapper in the league was? :lol:

No, but the last long polish sausage I had was at a concession stand at a football game in Pulaski and it was really good.

http://www.orthogonalthought.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/p1000886_550.jpg

Pugger
05-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Was Mike Prior a corner or a safety?

Guiness
05-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Was Mike Prior a corner or a safety?

Dunno. What I do know is that he didn't wrap up Elway.

Pugger
05-19-2011, 03:18 PM
White.

http://www.nfl.com/players/mikeprior/profile?id=PRI622920

MadtownPacker
05-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Is this thread still about GJ? If so he is a bad brotha and should be considered top 5 in the NFL. The reason why he doesnt get seen that way IMO is because he disappears sometimes. I think he is top 5 because he makes huge plays that win games and has done it throughout his career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wCPH3XhJWU

Gotta love the Steelers fan saying "oh no!!".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi92jxcYlPQ

channtheman
05-20-2011, 01:01 AM
^ LOVE IT!

mraynrand
05-20-2011, 07:21 AM
No, but the last long polish sausage I had was at a concession stand at a football game in Pulaski and it was really good.

http://www.orthogonalthought.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/p1000886_550.jpg

Polish Sasage, Bers, Bers, Ditka,
https://www.msu.edu/~walkerc6/cfbull1.jpg

Guiness
05-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Polish Sasage, Bers, Bers, Ditka,

Yup. It's a long offseason with no football news when I log on and this is the only post...