PDA

View Full Version : SOME COACHES ARE PAID WELL TOO; TOP 10

Bretsky
05-24-2011, 06:20 AM
Belichick leads top-paid coaches
e-mail print By Bob Wolfley of the Journal Sentinel
May 21, 2011 |(9) Comments

Forbes magazine last week ranked the highest-paid coaches among the four major North American sports leagues: NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL.

Now that Phil Jackson has left the Staples Center, Bill Belichick slides into the top position as the highest-paid coach in those four sports at $7.5 million. Mike Shanahan of the Washington Redskins and Doc Rivers of the Boston Celtics are next at $7.0 million.

Of the top ten highest-paid coaches on the Forbes' list, seven are in the NFL and three are in the NBA:

Coach League Team Pay (millions)

Bill Belichick NFL New England $7.5M
Mike Shanahan NFL Washington Redskins $7.0M
Doc Rivers NBA Boston Celtics $7.0M
Pete Carroll NFL Seattle Seahawks $7.0M
Gregg Popovich NBA San Antonio Spurs $6.0M
Lovie Smith NFL Chicago Bears $6.0M
Mike D'Antoni NBA New York Knicks $6.0M
Ken Whisenhunt NFL Arizona Cardinals $5.75M
Tom Coughlin NFL New York Giants $5.25M
Mike Tomlin NFL Pittsburgh Steelers $5.0M

Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy signed a three-year extension with the Packers in March that boosted his salary from $4 million annually to around $5 million. That would put him at or near Tomlin's compensation, which is ranked 10th on Forbes' list.

Milwaukee Bucks coach Scott Skiles makes about $4.5 million a year on his deal, which takes him through the 2012-'13 season. The Bucks picked up the fifth-year option of his contract in Oct. 2010.

Tarlam!
05-24-2011, 06:39 AM
Ah to hell with it; I wasn't considering a career change at this period of my life, but, where do I sign?

hoosier
05-24-2011, 08:16 AM
As usual the Washington Snyders lead the league in paying more for less. They're like the yin to the Yankees' yang in that way.

hoosier
05-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Mike Sciosia's 10 year extension was reportedly worth $50M, so he is pushing 5M per year as well. Interesting that baseball managers in general have disproportionately low contracts.

Lurker64
05-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Mike Sciosia's 10 year extension was reportedly worth $50M, so he is pushing 5M per year as well. Interesting that baseball managers in general have disproportionately low contracts.

I think in the real of coaches, baseball managers simply have to do less than their contemporaries in other sports. Football coaches are responsible for quite a bit in terms of "in-game decision-making" while basketball coaches are responsible for "convincing immature multimillionaires to behave reasonably" while managers in baseball simply don't do nearly as much as those guys.

Pugger
05-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Baseball is not as complex as say football or as fast moving/changing as basketball so maybe that's why managers don't do nearly as much.

Tarlam!
05-24-2011, 01:06 PM
that's why managers don't do nearly as much.

They have THE most important job in the world. They exchange pitchers. How else would i get my beer glass full?

Scott Campbell
05-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Ah to hell with it; I wasn't considering a career change at this period of my life, but, where do I sign?

I don't think anyone's paying you anything till you renounce Australian Rules Football.

Tarlam!
05-24-2011, 01:15 PM
If you can have 8 wives, why can't I have 4 footballs?

hoosier
05-24-2011, 02:21 PM
I think in the real of coaches, baseball managers simply have to do less than their contemporaries in other sports. Football coaches are responsible for quite a bit in terms of "in-game decision-making" while basketball coaches are responsible for "convincing immature multimillionaires to behave reasonably" while managers in baseball simply don't do nearly as much as those guys.

I don't disagree that baseball managers have a less complex job than football coaches and that baseball culture doesn't breed as many big egos as basketball. But I disagree slightly with the metrics of comparison. I think the real question for comparing compensation isn't which sport places more demands on its coaches/managers; after all, the different sports don't pick from a common pool of potential hires. The real question is, how replaceable are the highly successful coaches/managers in each sport? Is a Tony LaRussa, Bobby Cox or Mike Scosia more replaceable than a Bill Bellichick, Bill Cowher or Andy Reid?

And maybe the answer to this question doesn't depend only on the respective talents of individual coaches, since outside of the large market/big spending teams like NYY, Boston and Philly, very few MLB teams can realistically hope to be contenders year in and year out. It doesn't matter if they are being managed by Earl Weaver or Walter Matthau: they're going to suck either way. Pro football, on the other hand, is much closer to parity and thus the market for what are perceived as good coaches is much more competitive.

Zool
05-24-2011, 03:23 PM
If you can have 8 wives, why can't I have 4 footballs?

How the fuck can you walk with 4 foot balls?

get louder at lambeau
05-24-2011, 03:56 PM
How the fuck can you walk with 4 foot balls?

Roll? Bounce?

sharpe1027
05-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Roll? Bounce?

But if you were rolling or bouncing then you would not be walking.

get louder at lambeau
05-25-2011, 11:18 AM
But if you were rolling or bouncing then you would not be walking.

Hey, whatever gets you from point A to point B. I think legs would just be used as brakes.

LP
05-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Can anyone justify Pete Carroll making 7 million per to me? It's not like his NFL head coaching resume is out of this world or anything. He may have won in college, but so what. Different dynamic, different game.

hoosier
05-25-2011, 04:00 PM
According to the LA Times Carroll signed for $33M over 5 years, which means you could say he's really earning a bit less than 7 (6.6). His salary at SC was over 4M per year so I guess the Seahawks had to give him a big bump to get him to leave. There was also a rumor when they hired Carroll that Seattle was going to give him full control over personell as well as HC. Maybe he took the money instead.

Tarlam!
05-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Can anyone justify Pete Carroll making 7 million per to me? It's not like his NFL head coaching resume is out of this world or anything. He may have won in college, but so what. Different dynamic, different game.

Justify? Nah. Speculaute? Sure, why not?

The 'hawk's owner is a self made billionaire that can afford to roll the dice. They have a problem at QB in particular, but, y'know? Carroll will likely get at least 2 more seasons to figure it all out.

Pugger
05-26-2011, 07:32 AM
They have THE most important job in the world. They exchange pitchers. How else would i get my beer glass full?

:lol:

LP
05-26-2011, 12:40 PM
According to the LA Times Carroll signed for $33M over 5 years, which means you could say he's really earning a bit less than 7 (6.6). His salary at SC was over 4M per year so I guess the Seahawks had to give him a big bump to get him to leave. There was also a rumor when they hired Carroll that Seattle was going to give him full control over personell as well as HC. Maybe he took the money instead.

Get a big pay raise and off the incoming scandal hot seat in one fell swoop. Sure is a wonderful life.

Tarlam!
05-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Get a big pay raise and off the incoming scandal hot seat in one fell swoop. Sure is a wonderful life.

Oh boy, if I were to guess, I would guess you're jealous. I have zero problem with you critizising the dude, but I'd have an issue with you identifying his is bigger than yours, and that's your entire issue.

ThunderDan
05-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Oh boy, if I were to guess, I would guess you're jealous. I have zero problem with you critizising the dude, but I'd have an issue with you identifying his is bigger than yours, and that's your entire issue.

What are you tring to say? What is "bigger than yours"?

Tarlam!
05-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Pissing distance.

mraynrand
05-27-2011, 10:28 AM
I don't disagree that baseball managers have a less complex job than football coaches and that baseball culture doesn't breed as many big egos as basketball. But I disagree slightly with the metrics of comparison. I think the real question for comparing compensation isn't which sport places more demands on its coaches/managers; after all, the different sports don't pick from a common pool of potential hires. The real question is, how replaceable are the highly successful coaches/managers in each sport? Is a Tony LaRussa, Bobby Cox or Mike Scosia more replaceable than a Bill Bellichick, Bill Cowher or Andy Reid?

And maybe the answer to this question doesn't depend only on the respective talents of individual coaches, since outside of the large market/big spending teams like NYY, Boston and Philly, very few MLB teams can realistically hope to be contenders year in and year out. It doesn't matter if they are being managed by Earl Weaver or Walter Matthau: they're going to suck either way. Pro football, on the other hand, is much closer to parity and thus the market for what are perceived as good coaches is much more competitive.

I think coaches' salaries are probably based on what the market can bear. If revenues are higher, profits higher, salaries will be higher. The prospect of higher salaries might even draw more people to compete for the higher paying jobs too, even if the stress level and job performance requirements for football are higher than baseball.

Regarding the respective talent levels of the various coaches and managers, I can't say. When I watch baseball and the calls the managers have to make, in many ways it seems more difficult than football, but perhaps that's because I don't have a clue what pitch you have your RHP throw to the RHB - batting in the 3 spot - when there is a runner in scoring position when the count is 3-1. Seems there is a lot of nuance there - scouting reports, tendencies, etc. It's a mystery to me. Do managers just wing it, let the catcher, pitcher, and dugout manager figure it out, chew some more tobacco, or do they really sweat all those details?

Guiness
05-28-2011, 12:41 PM
I think coaches' salaries are probably based on what the market can bear. If revenues are higher, profits higher, salaries will be higher. The prospect of higher salaries might even draw more people to compete for the higher paying jobs too, even if the stress level and job performance requirements for football are higher than baseball.

Regarding the respective talent levels of the various coaches and managers, I can't say. When I watch baseball and the calls the managers have to make, in many ways it seems more difficult than football, but perhaps that's because I don't have a clue what pitch you have your RHP throw to the RHB - batting in the 3 spot - when there is a runner in scoring position when the count is 3-1. Seems there is a lot of nuance there - scouting reports, tendencies, etc. It's a mystery to me. Do managers just wing it, let the catcher, pitcher, and dugout manager figure it out, chew some more tobacco, or do they really sweat all those details?

Some managers really try to line up batter/pitcher matchups, but it can really break the rythm

During the Blue Jays' World Series runs, Cito did a lot of pitcher shuffling. Not just bringing in relievers and stoppers, but sometimes trotting out a pitcher for a single matchup he wanted. I really found it broke things up, as multiple pitchers would take the mound, each making their warm-up pitches.

Watching Dave Steib or Roy Halladay pitch a 2:30h complete game, maybe with someone coming in for the 9th is a lot more to my liking.

hoosier
05-28-2011, 08:34 PM

Pitch selection at the major league level is usually something the catcher and pitcher work out between them. In-game managerial strategy used to be more complicated back in the day when teams called bunts, hit and runs and stole bases. Now for the most part it's deciding who to rest, when to pinch hit or pull a pitcher.

No doubt managerial salaries are based on the market, but what determines the market? Profitability is surely one element to the extent that profit margin is a primary concern for owners. But so is what other teams are willing to pay for comparables. And if most teams aren't willing to break the bank for a top flight manager because the existing salary culture prevents them from fielding a contending team on a consistent basis (that's just my hypothesis, not a fact claim) then managerial salaries might be lower than other sports in which most teams can hope to be competitive while still maintaining an average payroll.

Guiness
05-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Particularly when it comes to baseball, Hoosier, I think modern manager's most important job is to act like diplomats from the League of Nations.

Trying to keep expectations and egos in check, and keep everyone happy without satisfying anyone.

get louder at lambeau
05-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Particularly when it comes to baseball, Hoosier, I think modern manager's most important job is to act like diplomats from the League of Nations.

Trying to keep expectations and egos in check, and keep everyone happy without satisfying anyone.

Like a stripper.

mraynrand
05-29-2011, 12:56 PM
No doubt managerial salaries are based on the market, but what determines the market? Profitability is surely one element to the extent that profit margin is a primary concern for owners. But so is what other teams are willing to pay for comparables. And if most teams aren't willing to break the bank for a top flight manager because the existing salary culture prevents them from fielding a contending team on a consistent basis (that's just my hypothesis, not a fact claim) then managerial salaries might be lower than other sports in which most teams can hope to be competitive while still maintaining an average payroll.

I think you're right on the money.

Guiness
05-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Like a stripper.

See? That's the kind of innovation that would bring me back to baseball.

Maybe Morgana could become a manager? She's been around baseball long enough, and has some experience running around the field.

mraynrand
05-29-2011, 03:23 PM
^^^^^ :lol:

swede
05-29-2011, 06:49 PM
See? That's the kind of innovation that would bring me back to baseball.

Maybe Morgana could become a manager? She's been around baseball long enough, and has some experience running around the field.

Man, if gravity has had its way with Morgana she's not running without tripping.

Guiness
05-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Man, if gravity has had its way with Morgana she's not running without tripping.

She was charged for one of her on-field trips, and in her defense her lawyer famously used the 'gravity defense', saying she leaned over, and because she was so top heavy, fell onto the field!

Kiwon
05-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Morganna....man, that's going back a few years. That's back when men were men and sheep were..........sheep.

Random thought: What would the gay version of Morganna be today?

Anyhoo, she did a lot of George Brett's career. If you have to have a stalker, better it's a stripper, I guess.

packerbacker1234
05-31-2011, 08:28 AM
Honestly I think those salaries are fine, however I always wondered why the hell Pete Carroll, who has been in the NFL before with mediocre success, was given so much damn money when he is too unproven in this league. He's not like Lovie Smith who got the bears to the Super Bowl, or the NE Coach with a bunch of rings. Sure, he made history as the first 7-9 to make the playoffs and win a playoff game, but is that worth 7 million dollars?

Scott Campbell
05-31-2011, 08:51 AM
She was charged for one of her on-field trips, and in her defense her lawyer famously used the 'gravity defense', saying she leaned over, and because she was so top heavy, fell onto the field!

I'm going to try the gravitational pull defense next time I see Katy Perry and feel like motorboating.

Guiness
05-31-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm going to try the gravitational pull defense next time I see Katy Perry and feel like motorboating.

Damn Cambell, you got a real, live 'lol' out of that one. Not just a typed one! Good enough to have my gf walk over to see what I was laughing at!