PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Packers' Defense

Pugger
05-26-2011, 08:02 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fde474/article/teams-carefully-examining-strengths-weaknesses-of-packers-d

Smeefers
05-26-2011, 09:08 AM
This is the best article I've read in months this offseason. The only article. Dear god, what happened to football?

Our defense was good in spurts but by no means was it anywhere near perfect. I think we still have a lot to grow in that area. Our run defense is crappy, especially 3rd downs. I guess it comes down to what you want to pay attention to. The last 7 weeks of the season including the playoffs, we were monsters of the grid iron. You look earlier than that though and you see a lot of problems. There's excuses by the dozen about why they lost to Miami and the Redskins, but those were two teams we should of beat the crap out of and we didn't and one of the reasons was our defense stinking up the joint. I think our biggest strength and our biggest weakness is Clay Mathews believe it our not. He's so huge, so key, that he's become our lynch pin. He has a great game, our whole defense just dominates. He doesn't have to make tackles or get sacks, he just has to have a good game. If he's out though, or he's playing like garbage, we seem to fall all to pieces. We went to crazy packages part because we had to. Remember when all we had for DL was Raji, Wilson and god... I can't even remember the other guy. Of course we have to go to a 2-4-5.

I'm not saying Dom doesn't have some credit due. I just don't think the Packers have a league wide changing defense.

Brandon494
05-26-2011, 12:21 PM
I was at that Skins game and our defense is not the reason we lost that game or the game against the Fins. No defense can be perfect in this offensive driven league. Capers and the defensive coaching staff deserve a ton of credit for how well the unit played despite losing several starters.

hoosier
05-26-2011, 01:04 PM
This is the best article I've read in months this offseason. The only article. Dear god, what happened to football?

Our defense was good in spurts but by no means was it anywhere near perfect. I think we still have a lot to grow in that area. Our run defense is crappy, especially 3rd downs. I guess it comes down to what you want to pay attention to. The last 7 weeks of the season including the playoffs, we were monsters of the grid iron. You look earlier than that though and you see a lot of problems. There's excuses by the dozen about why they lost to Miami and the Redskins, but those were two teams we should of beat the crap out of and we didn't and one of the reasons was our defense stinking up the joint. I think our biggest strength and our biggest weakness is Clay Mathews believe it our not. He's so huge, so key, that he's become our lynch pin. He has a great game, our whole defense just dominates. He doesn't have to make tackles or get sacks, he just has to have a good game. If he's out though, or he's playing like garbage, we seem to fall all to pieces. We went to crazy packages part because we had to. Remember when all we had for DL was Raji, Wilson and god... I can't even remember the other guy. Of course we have to go to a 2-4-5.

I'm not saying Dom doesn't have some credit due. I just don't think the Packers have a league wide changing defense.

Not sure why you say the run d was bad on third down. Short yardage was actually the one situation in which the rush defense was statistically among the leaders. When Capers all but made the 2-4-5 his base defense that pretty much guaranteed they weren't going to be putting up Pittsburgh or Minnesota numbers against the run. But the overall bad numbers against the run don't concern me in the least as long as the defense is able to get off the field and avoid giving up lots of points.

I blame the losses against Washington and Miami on the offense's being out of sync early in the season. Then when Finley went down it took a few games for Rodgers to rediscover his other receivers.

channtheman
05-26-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm just going off memory here but didn't we give up 13 points and 20 points in regulation in the Redskins and Miami games? Our offense should be able to score more than that.

Pugger
05-26-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm just going off memory here but didn't we give up 13 points and 20 points in regulation in the Redskins and Miami games? Our offense should be able to score more than that.

Weren't these the 2 games we played right after losing Finley? I wonder if we were still trying to figure out things without him in there...

Tarlam!
05-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Nice read, thanks for posting Pugger.

I have the SB45 dvd and the strongest player comment for me is Jennings saying something like "we shoulda had 7 - I love our "D", but I hate putten' 'em in this situation every week". So much passion.

As we all know, the D came up huge on their last battle, so that Rodgers could take a victory knee allowing the Packers to win the war.

Capers is amazing. But so must M3 be; leading senior managers that have earned their stirpes takes a certain DNA. I believe I had it, so my hat is off to M3 for getting the ultimate out of of Dom. It aint easy and you need to have "Fingerspitzengefühl". That translates to feelings in your fingertips but the deeper meaning is greater.

Except for Campen and Slocum, I like all of M3's coaches.

bobblehead
05-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Weren't these the 2 games we played right after losing Finley? I wonder if we were still trying to figure out things without him in there...

also the game rodgers got a concussion and the game after it.

RashanGary
05-26-2011, 06:10 PM
We lost Matthews in there too.

MJZiggy
05-26-2011, 08:09 PM
We lost Matthews in there too.

Yeah, those were big losses.

HarveyWallbangers
05-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Trail blitzing = Hawk blitzing up the middle to occupy blockers while another LB darts in freely afterwards to get the glory. :)

channtheman
05-27-2011, 04:06 AM
Nice read, thanks for posting Pugger.

I have the SB45 dvd and the strongest player comment for me is Jennings saying something like "we shoulda had 7 - I love our "D", but I hate putten' 'em in this situation every week". So much passion.

As we all know, the D came up huge on their last battle, so that Rodgers could take a victory knee allowing the Packers to win the war.

Capers is amazing. But so must M3 be; leading senior managers that have earned their stirpes takes a certain DNA. I believe I had it, so my hat is off to M3 for getting the ultimate out of of Dom. It aint easy and you need to have "Fingerspitzengefühl". That translates to feelings in your fingertips but the deeper meaning is greater.

Except for Campen and Slocum, I like all of M3's coaches.

The 2008 season and the 2010 were very similar seasons, except in 2010 the defense came up for us in SO many games, including 3 of the 4 playoff games.

Tarlam!
05-27-2011, 04:52 AM
The 2008 season and the 2010 were very similar seasons, except in 2010 the defense came up for us in SO many games, including 3 of the 4 playoff games.

The real question is will Capers' defense go down in history similar to Lombardi's runnin attack .i.e. Opponents knew Lombardi was gonna run, but were all but powewrless to stop it. Now that opponents have had all this time studying Capers' 2-4-5 etc, can they out smart it?

The only issue I have with the story is when Shields and Chuck left the game, the D barely held on. The did hold on, but it was close. The Steelers had momentum and had closed it to a 3 point game. The system worked, but only just.

Brandon494
05-27-2011, 06:40 AM
Yea that's going to happen when you lose two starters at corner and Jarrett Bush has to come in. It's not like the Steelers and Big Ben are two time super bowls champs or anything.

Tarlam!
05-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Yea that's going to happen when you lose two starters at corner and Jarrett Bush has to come in. It's not like the Steelers and Big Ben are two time super bowls champs or anything.

Well, the jist of the article - one of them - was that Capers had devised a plug and play scheme, i would compare that to Shanahan's RB model in Denver. I was merely pointing out that it barely held up, but duely noted that, in the end, it did. So, my point is that the plug and play assention is worth questioning. If you don't think my point is valid, fine.

swede
05-27-2011, 11:17 AM
"Fingerspitzengefühl"

I completely understood the intent and meaning of your post and its compliment directed at M3's leadership, Tar.

But I ran "Fingerspitzengefuhl" through the online translator and the meaning came back as "hand job".

KYPack
05-27-2011, 11:30 AM
That trail blitz was run in the SB. Sometimes, Caper took CMIII and rolled him into the middle. Then he blitzed him and had him force to the outside. Needless to say, Pitt sent two guys to pick him up. Then Zombo (who lined up in Claymats usual spot) looped to the inside and got the clean shot and sack on Big Ben. Matthews is such a bitch, he shed the blockers, and basically got a half sack.

The guy that wrote the article seems to think this is all new stuff. Capers and LeBeau have been running those cross blitzes for many moons now.

The other thing Dom did in the SB was use Claymat so intelligently. He would have Clay take a jab step, as if to blitz and then shift him to the inside, 3-5 yards deep. Clay would mirror Ben's spot in the pocket and prevent him from making any yards or make any quick throws off the scramble.

Dom is a genius at taking the offense's adjustments to his schemes and countering their moves during the game. Other D Coordinators can watch all the Packer tape they want, they aren't going to develop all Capers' experience and tricks overnight. This isn't Capers first rodeo, ya know?

RashanGary
05-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Trail blitzing = Hawk blitzing up the middle to occupy blockers while another LB darts in freely afterwards to get the glory. :)

:)

Tarlam!
05-27-2011, 03:50 PM
But I ran "Fingerspitzengefuhl" through the online translator and the meaning came back as "hand job".

People are atually gonna believe that! :grin:, like you didn't know!

Tarlam!
05-27-2011, 03:56 PM
That trail blitz was run in the SB. Sometimes, Caper took CMIII and rolled him into the middle. Then he blitzed him and had him force to the outside. Needless to say, Pitt sent two guys to pick him up. Then Zombo (who lined up in Claymats usual spot) looped to the inside and got the clean shot and sack on Big Ben. Matthews is such a bitch, he shed the blockers, and basically got a half sack.

The guy that wrote the article seems to think this is all new stuff. Capers and LeBeau have been running those cross blitzes for many moons now.

The other thing Dom did in the SB was use Claymat so intelligently. He would have Clay take a jab step, as if to blitz and then shift him to the inside, 3-5 yards deep. Clay would mirror Ben's spot in the pocket and prevent him from making any yards or make any quick throws off the scramble.

Dom is a genius at taking the offense's adjustments to his schemes and countering their moves during the game. Other D Coordinators can watch all the Packer tape they want, they aren't going to develop all Capers' experience and tricks overnight. This isn't Capers first rodeo, ya know?

Nice insight as always. But how will they be judged by history? He's agreat DC, has his tropps and plyaers on board, was a major contibutor to SB XVIV. But, has he (or Lebaua) done enough for the HOF ?. I love the unselfish player insert, I love the D. I like when they defer and get an early stop. Love it all. Will it be legendary?

Lurker64
05-27-2011, 03:58 PM
The real problem is with other teams trying to mimic the Packers defense is twofold: Woodson and Raji. Woodson is one of the best-run support corners in the game, and he's a heck of a blitzer. There aren't many guys who can cover, tackle, blitz, and hold up doing it. Raji, on the other hand is the mythical winged unicorn of Nose Tackles. He can hold his ground not giving an inch against a double-team, he can split a gap and rush like a 4-3 under-tackle who is 40 lbs lighter, and he plays virtually every snap. The only other big man in the league that I could see doing what Raji does for us is Ngata in Baltimore. Not saying that Raji is the best defensive tackle in football, but he's almost certainly the most important defensive tackle in the league when playing on a 2-man line.

swede
05-27-2011, 04:36 PM

People are atually gonna believe that! :grin:, like you didn't know!

Maybe I accidentally entered "Fingersgefuhlofspitzen"

KYPack
05-27-2011, 06:01 PM
A hand job always beats no job, Swede.

Will LeBeau make the HOF?

Yeah, last year. They did a "combo" on him. He was a really good corner for many years & a well respected DC for many also.

Other than LeBeau, there are no coordinators in the HOF. Some have thought they went with Dick L to "break the ice' and put other assistants coaches in there.

If the Pack keeps their run alive, DC the DC might be one of the next guys to make it.

MJZiggy
05-27-2011, 07:41 PM

I just don't get German. Bad Spanish, sure, but not German.

Tarlam!
05-28-2011, 01:21 AM
I just don't get German. Bad Spanish, sure, but not German.

He's just yanking your chain Ziggy. Completely. See, Swde, I told ya this would happen!

Guiness
05-28-2011, 07:13 AM
The real problem is with other teams trying to mimic the Packers defense is twofold: Woodson and Raji. Woodson is one of the best-run support corners in the game, and he's a heck of a blitzer. There aren't many guys who can cover, tackle, blitz, and hold up doing it. Raji, on the other hand is the mythical winged unicorn of Nose Tackles. He can hold his ground not giving an inch against a double-team, he can split a gap and rush like a 4-3 under-tackle who is 40 lbs lighter, and he plays virtually every snap. The only other big man in the league that I could see doing what Raji does for us is Ngata in Baltimore. Not saying that Raji is the best defensive tackle in football, but he's almost certainly the most important defensive tackle in the league when playing on a 2-man line.

Don't forget dropping into coverage and getting INT's! You can count on one hand how many NT's in the league could do that.

Guiness
05-28-2011, 07:16 AM

Ending in 'spitzen' it could also mean another kind of job.

swede
05-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Come, come people, I fear I have jacked this thread before it had a chance to reach its natural climax, a kind of "ejakulibschenprematüren".

Now KY and Tar have both made excellent points. KY noted that the cat and mouse game between offensive coordinators and defensive coordinators will not begin for the first time this year. I believe it was noted around the end of last season that Green Bay's defense concedes some running yards in exchange for being really good in pass defense. Any team that decides to game plan around a commitment to the run had better be very good at it and needs to game-plan around the strategy of jumping out to a two-touchdown lead. Good luck with that.

Tar also brought up a really good point about M3's skill at leadership and allowing his assistant coaches to succeed without hosing them. The Germans of course use the word "lederhosen" to describe coaches who cannot help but hose their assistants.

MJZiggy
05-28-2011, 12:08 PM
He's just yanking your chain Ziggy. Completely. See, Swde, I told ya this would happen!

I thought he was talking something about yanking his own chain, but apparently I didn't get that out of it either...

MJZiggy
05-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Come, come people, I fear I have jacked this thread before it had a chance to reach its natural climax, a kind of "ejakulibschenprematüren".

Now KY and Tar have both made excellent points. KY noted that the cat and mouse game between offensive coordinators and defensive coordinators will not begin for the first time this year. I believe it was noted around the end of last season that Green Bay's defense concedes some running yards in exchange for being really good in pass defense. Any team that decides to game plan around a commitment to the run had better be very good at it and needs to game-plan around the strategy of jumping out to a two-touchdown lead. Good luck with that.

Tar also brought up a really good point about M3's skill at leadership and allowing his assistant coaches to succeed without hosing them. The Germans of course use the word "lederhosen" to describe coaches who cannot help but hose their assistants.

I don't know about the guys in here, but I am perfectly capable of reading the wonderful technical contributions of our gurus and play in the same thread. I just have less to offer in the more technical discussion, probably out of irritation with the league for being on lockout. Now lockout is something I wouldn't want to jack the thread with, it just makes me less likely to want to pay attention to the more serious elements of the game right now. I seriously hope this changes when they all come to their senses and work something out.

Tarlam!
05-28-2011, 12:18 PM
There is no official translationion for hand job, at least not as a phrase. Nor is the one for a BJ. Germans need more words for that. But, they are getting for more lazy and have begun using angloisms.....

And, Lederhosen, well, I won't even get into that! Swede is just dickin' around and we love him for it.

Guiness
05-28-2011, 12:49 PM
I don't know about the guys in here, but I am perfectly capable of reading the wonderful technical contributions of our gurus and play in the same thread. I just have less to offer in the more technical discussion, probably out of irritation with the league for being on lockout. Now lockout is something I wouldn't want to jack the thread with, it just makes me less likely to want to pay attention to the more serious elements of the game right now. I seriously hope this changes when they all come to their senses and work something out.

heh heh, heh heh. She said 'jack'

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/image/images/small-bnb.gif