PDA

View Full Version : Scouting the bears (preseason vs. Niners)

Willard
08-11-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm watching the bear/49er pre-season game on TV out here in CA. Since the bears are the Pack's week1 opponent I thought I'd provide my amateur scouting report. Here are some observations:

Grossman is ice cold starting out. 4 of his first 6 passes have been way off. On his first completion the receiver got stripped and turned the ball over. Another pass should have been picked.

The bears' first series was 3 passes (before the fumble). So much for establishing the run! Maybe it has something to do with the fact that A. Peterson is the starting halfback tonight.

Adrian is not doing much with his carries. bears' second possession results in a punt after one first down. Poor runs, and bad passes.

Niners are moving the ball on the bears' first team D. Alex Smith seems better than last year. He is having a lot of success in planned rollouts & bootlegs -- then passing on the run. Could be a strategy against the bears' d-line--don't stand in the pocket; stay on the move.

Niners have had the ball twice and moved it both times with runs up the gut, but mainly threw passes on the run by Alex Smith. Field goal and punt in first two possessions. Nothing from Vern Davis yet.

bears's 3rd series: run on 1st down for -1 yd. 2nd down 9yd completion on slant pass to Berrian. 3rd down: Grossman fumbles the snap, then fumbles his recovery attempt and a 49ers LB picks it up and runs for a touchdown!

bears' 4th series: Peterson for 3 yds on 1st down. Grossman throws up a dangerous pass 25 yds down the sideline that falls incomplete. Easily could have been picked. On 3rd own Grossman gets flustered and underthrows his receiver. CHI punts again.

Smith continues to be successful throwing on the run in planned rollouts. Gore is running well, and is catching balls in the middle of the field. Urlacher is quiet/invisible. Gore catches a nice screen pass for another 1st down.

End of Q1: Niners lead 10-0. Niners have 110 total yards versus 53 for the bears.

Niners still driving, more to come......

Willard
08-11-2006, 10:36 PM
sorry. I didnt see the other thread about this game.

woodbuck27
08-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Nice scouting Willard. :mrgreen:

GrnBay007
08-11-2006, 10:38 PM
no problem Willard, good report.

ny10804
08-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Willard, or anybody, I would love one of these reports for tomorow's Packer game, as I won't be able to watch it (due to living in New York and not having a satelite). If you can, thanks.

GrnBay007
08-11-2006, 11:08 PM
Willard, or anybody, I would love one of these reports for tomorow's Packer game, as I won't be able to watch it (due to living in New York and not having a satelite). If you can, thanks.

I'm sure you will get plenty of reports here for the game tomorrow night. Last season we had an "Official" game thread for all the games.

Hey, by the way, I get to make one of those threads this year......I didn't get to last year. :cry:

b bulldog
08-13-2006, 12:29 AM
Griese looked very good and out played Rex.