PDA

View Full Version : The Future of the Packers Defense

Smidgeon
05-31-2011, 04:27 PM
While the Packers officially employed a 3-4, with how often Capers sat in nickel, it seemed to me that it was more of a 2-4.

So my question is for those prognosticators who know a thing or two about football schemes: was this a one year aberration for the Packers due to personnel, or will it be the Packers' scheme going forward? Will other teams copy?

RashanGary
05-31-2011, 05:17 PM
While the Packers officially employed a 3-4, with how often Capers sat in nickel, it seemed to me that it was more of a 2-4.

So my question is for those prognosticators who know a thing or two about football schemes: was this a one year aberration for the Packers due to personnel, or will it be the Packers' scheme going forward? Will other teams copy?

It all depends on personnel. If we have more good DL, we'll play more DL. If we have more good LB's, we'll play more LB's.

I'm guessing, just the way our roster looks, we'll still see 2-4-5.

bobblehead
05-31-2011, 05:33 PM
Its all about their commitment to stopping the pass. As long as our offense can light it up and other teams feel pressure to pass we will play the best D to stop the pass. That means nickel and a bunch of pass rush.

RashanGary
05-31-2011, 05:49 PM
Its all about their commitment to stopping the pass. As long as our offense can light it up and other teams feel pressure to pass we will play the best D to stop the pass. That means nickel and a bunch of pass rush.

Another good point.

If we do bring Jenkins back, and Neal really stands out, I think we could see a lot more 3-3-5 nickle. If Neal/Jenkins/Raji is better than Brad Jones or Frank Zombo, then the 2-4-5 goes away. If Jenkins doesn't come back, we stay 2-4-5

My money is on 2-4-5 next year, but Capers is flexible, if he hsa better personnel for 3-3-5 he'll play it.

Imagine Jenkins/Neal/Raji lining up with Matthews bouncing from left to right depending on matchup. . . .

Guiness
05-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Another good point.

If we do bring Jenkins back, and Neal really stands out, I think we could see a lot more 3-3-5 nickle. If Neal/Jenkins/Raji is better than Brad Jones or Frank Zombo, then the 2-4-5 goes away. If Jenkins doesn't come back, we stay 2-4-5

My money is on 2-4-5 next year, but Capers is flexible, if he hsa better personnel for 3-3-5 he'll play it.

Imagine Jenkins/Neal/Raji lining up with Matthews bouncing from left to right depending on matchup. . . .

We don't need Jenkins back that badly for this to work. Pickett is back, stout and reliable. If Neale is healthy and lives up to expectations, that would do it. Failing that, don't forget about Jolly. I know his status is up in the air, but I don't think there's any valid reason to keep him out of the league for another year. I'm pretty sure there was no valid reason to keep him out last year...

get louder at lambeau
06-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Failing that, don't forget about Jolly. I know his status is up in the air, but I don't think there's any valid reason to keep him out of the league for another year. I'm pretty sure there was no valid reason to keep him out last year...

Getting the old Johnny Jolly back would be great, if he's still the same guy. I'm filing this in the "don't hold your breath" file though, right next to Justin Harrell. Either one of them would be really nice to see on the field for some DL depth.

For now, Pickett, Raji, and Neal is a nice 3 man line. Maybe with a small chance of each of Jenkins, Jolly, and Harrell, they can put together a line with some real depth. If we get two of those three "maybes" on the field, that's a great line.

Zool
06-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Getting the old Johnny Jolly back would be great, if he's still the same guy. I'm filing this in the "don't hold your breath" file though, right next to Justin Harrell. Either one of them would be really nice to see on the field for some DL depth.

For now, Pickett, Raji, and Neal is a nice 3 man line. Maybe with a small chance of each of Jenkins, Jolly, and Harrell, they can put together a line with some real depth. If we get two of those three "maybes" on the field, that's a great line.

What about Green. What's his contract situation?

get louder at lambeau
06-01-2011, 11:14 AM
What about Green. What's his contract situation?

Forgot about him. Looks like he has one more year, assuming he can keep his weight down.

The Packers expect DL Howard Green to return next season, softening the blow of Cullen Jenkins' departure via free agency.
Though he was released for the 12th time during the 2010 season, Green was starting for Green Bay by the playoffs. He's under contract for one more year at $765,000, offering depth up front along with C.J. Wilson and Jarius Wynn. The Packers could also be getting wild cards Justin Harrell and Johnny Jolly back for one more season. Mar 1, 10:55 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1592/player?r=1

Guiness
06-01-2011, 01:04 PM
The difference between Jolly and Harrel is that Jolly has shown he can play, and be reliable...obviously something Harrel has not.

Greene doesn't fit into the DL style being talked about - strictly a big body for run downs, I think. Not to say he's not an important part of the rotation, a lot was made about our 1000lb, 3 man line during the playoffs.

bobblehead
06-01-2011, 02:33 PM
I'll be honest, I like CJ Wilson a lot. He seems like a steal right now, plus he had 10k's in his start yesterday.

Pugger
06-02-2011, 08:28 AM
The difference between Jolly and Harrel is that Jolly has shown he can play, and be reliable...obviously something Harrel has not.

Greene doesn't fit into the DL style being talked about - strictly a big body for run downs, I think. Not to say he's not an important part of the rotation, a lot was made about our 1000lb, 3 man line during the playoffs.

Harrel has ability but the poor kid can't stay healthy. Jolly can play but the poor fool can't stay out of trouble. This spring will be the last hurrah for Harrel and I'm pulling for him. I doubt Jolly will be reinstated any time soon.

Guiness
06-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Harrel has ability but the poor kid can't stay healthy. Jolly can play but the poor fool can't stay out of trouble. This spring will be the last hurrah for Harrel and I'm pulling for him. I doubt Jolly will be reinstated any time soon.

Did you see that recent thread here about Jolly? It sure seemed like there was not a very good reason for his suspension even the first time round.
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?22018-Johnny-Jolly-gets-probation

btw apologies in advance for some poorly explained math in that thread!

Deputy Nutz
06-02-2011, 10:28 PM
5 defensive backs will be one the field on passing situations. The Packers will usually rush 4 defenders, unless of course it becomes illegal to hit the QB.