PDA

View Full Version : REVOLUTIONARY TECHNOLOGIES

Bretsky
06-10-2011, 10:05 PM
OK, I might have missed the beginning.......but..............is it the Cloud ?

I'm that guy who wants to invest in high risk high reward snuff. It's worked well and it's failed well in the past.

Anybody have any views on high reward stocks or what the next great technology is ??

Joemailman
06-11-2011, 08:13 AM
They're bringing back the Commodore 64. http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/04/08/commodore-64-welcome-back-old-friend/

Bretsky
06-11-2011, 10:56 AM
http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=d0a3d964-9828-4418-8d41-2b7ac028d3ba

MJZiggy
06-11-2011, 11:34 AM
In buying company stocks, my folks always bought stock in companies they did business with. They had Sears stock for a long time and a number of years back, when my mom walked into a Sears store and got lousy customer service, she looked around the store, didn't like what she saw and sold the stock as it was starting to lose value. But she was a customer there, so she could see the changes in the way the stores were run and what the client experience was like. You also have to see the possibilities for the next big thing. Unless Garmin comes out with a new product, smartphone navigation apps will put it out of business. If you were watching smartphones you could see their market share falling apart.

Patler
06-13-2011, 07:43 AM
OK, I might have missed the beginning.......but..............is it the Cloud ?

I'm that guy who wants to invest in high risk high reward snuff. It's worked well and it's failed well in the past.

Anybody have any views on high reward stocks or what the next great technology is ??

What were your successes and what were your failures?

A long time ago, I bought stock in a company that was trying to present an online shopping mall, which included an auction site to compete with ebay (this was the very early days of ebay) and an easy and efficient way to "shop" major retailers online. They had some deals arranged and for a while their site looked pretty good. The auction part was small, but growing. At the time it had a more professional look and feel than ebay did. They had some major retailers running discounts and closeouts linked through their site. Their "mall" was arranged nicely by categories. I bought shares for just a few bucks ($3-5 as I recall, something like that) and it quickly went up to $12. It all unraveled in just a few days. The site went dead, the stock was virtually unsellable, and I basically lost everything I had put into it. This was before the ".com" crash. For the life of me, I can't recall the name of the company. I think my mind wants to block the bad memory! :grin:

I tend to look more into companies that have innovative entries into the healthcare field. Its a tough area, and I am very cautious. I almost bought into a company called Northfield Labs that had a synthetic blood product. It was their only product. They had glowing test reports and were on the verge of FDA approval, but as is common, the FDA came back with demands for more testing. They went back and forth with the FDA several times. It seemed oh-so-close to approval; but they never could see eye to eye with the FDA on the product. They promoted it as an emergency substitute, when natural blood wasn't available. They FDA insisted on evaluating it as an optional alternative, and compared it's results to natural blood transfusions. The company finally gave up (maybe ran out of money) and closed. They had worked on it for more than 10 years. I never found out if their technology was sold to anyone or not.

mraynrand
06-13-2011, 07:56 AM
I'm developing a "Trojan Horse" antibiotic that you ingest as three parts. The bacterium doesn't know each part is a subunit of a drug that will kill it, so it can't evolve around it. once the three components get in the bacteria, they assemble and nuke the bugger from inside. It takes out most kinds of bacteria, and only gives people the shits. But you'd take it if your dying from the opportunistic bug c. dificile. I'll let you guys know how to invest in it if it gets by trials. I'm currently testing it on my kids.

mraynrand
06-13-2011, 07:59 AM
I almost bought into a company called Northfield Labs that had a synthetic blood product. It was their only product. They had glowing test reports and were on the verge of FDA approval, but as is common, the FDA came back with demands for more testing. They went back and forth with the FDA several times. It seemed oh-so-close to approval; but they never could see eye to eye with the FDA on the product. They promoted it as an emergency substitute, when natural blood wasn't available. They FDA insisted on evaluating it as an optional alternative, and compared it's results to natural blood transfusions. The company finally gave up (maybe ran out of money) and closed. They had worked on it for more than 10 years. I never found out if their technology was sold to anyone or not.

If I recall, synthetic blood had a lot of appeal because of the worries about AIDS - particularly 'heterosexual AIDS." That never materialized, and drugs to increase your own blood production were introduced, so the demand went down. I know the military is still interested, but I can't recall where that technology is currently...

Patler
06-13-2011, 08:12 AM
If I recall, synthetic blood had a lot of appeal because of the worries about AIDS - particularly 'heterosexual AIDS." That never materialized, and drugs to increase your own blood production were introduced, so the demand went down. I know the military is still interested, but I can't recall where that technology is currently...

Their were two companies that submitted to the FDA, Northfield Labs and Biopure. Northfield's product was derived from human blood, but in a way that allowed a small amount of human blood to be expanded into massive amounts of the synthetic. Biopure's was based on cows blood. Biopure actually had approval overseas, somewhere; but they too went out of business at about the same time that Northfield did.

Both companies wanted their products used in traumatic situations where blood volume loss was high, and regular blood products not available. I can see why the military would be interested. As I recall, one or both of the products had extremely long shelf life.

Scott Campbell
06-13-2011, 08:35 AM

A long time ago, I bought stock in a company that was trying to present an online shopping mall, which included an auction site to compete with ebay (this was the very early days of ebay) and an easy and efficient way to "shop" major retailers online. They had some deals arranged and for a while their site looked pretty good. The auction part was small, but growing. At the time it had a more professional look and feel than ebay did. They had some major retailers running discounts and closeouts linked through their site. Their "mall" was arranged nicely by categories. I bought shares for just a few bucks ($3-5 as I recall, something like that) and it quickly went up to $12. It all unraveled in just a few days. The site went dead, the stock was virtually unsellable, and I basically lost everything I had put into it. This was before the ".com" crash. For the life of me, I can't recall the name of the company. I think my mind wants to block the bad memory! :grin:

Excellent lesson. First in is usually not the ideal position.

I hear they're trying to grow artificial cartilage right now, for those looking to avoid joint replacements.

Patler
06-13-2011, 10:09 AM
I hear they're trying to grow artificial cartilage right now, for those looking to avoid joint replacements.

Ya, lots of interesting things here, including the use of shark cartilage. There are also partial implants adhered to the bone that provide synthetic replacements for cartilage. I have heard about companies playing with growing cartilage from the future recipient's own donor sells.

3irty1
06-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Aqua bounty has been working on genetically engineered salmon for farming for the last 10 years and are currently jumping through hoops with the FDA. In the next couple of years these guys could be the Monsanto of the sea.

Patler
06-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Aqua bounty has been working on genetically engineered salmon for farming for the last 10 years and are currently jumping through hoops with the FDA. In the next couple of years these guys could be the Monsanto of the sea.

Are they the ones out of Canada? A fish farm down south was supposed to get the first delivery this year I thought, but various organizations were trying to stop it.

Bretsky
06-13-2011, 08:57 PM
http://seekingalpha.com/article/274315-cloud-computing-one-of-the-biggest-investment-stories-in-the-history-of-business

interesting stuff

Bretsky
06-13-2011, 09:02 PM

I tend to look more into companies that have innovative entries into the healthcare field. Its a tough area, and I am very cautious. I almost bought into a company called Northfield Labs that had a synthetic blood product. It was their only product. They had glowing test reports and were on the verge of FDA approval, but as is common, the FDA came back with demands for more testing. They went back and forth with the FDA several times. It seemed oh-so-close to approval; but they never could see eye to eye with the FDA on the product. They promoted it as an emergency substitute, when natural blood wasn't available. They FDA insisted on evaluating it as an optional alternative, and compared it's results to natural blood transfusions. The company finally gave up (maybe ran out of money) and closed. They had worked on it for more than 10 years. I never found out if their technology was sold to anyone or not.

SNDK; got in early on that one so that was a goodie

To be honest many of my failures have turned out to be successes. It kind of makes me sick. I had stock in CREE and NTAP and sold out of fear. I don't want to check my history of trades at Scotttrade because there are many more just like that. For the most part I was on with the technologies and that they would grow market share. But I was a chickenshit. Rather than being a dumbass and holding onto CSCO, I should've rolled the dice and kept some of the high flyers that have bounced back very nicely.

Two very consistent picks seem to be prevailent out of all of this research I'm doing.........EMC......and AAPL for what it's worth.

Stocks like RVBD ....very exciting to me.......but who knows.

Besides our decent size retirement accounts, my wife and I each have one Roth IRA account worth around 30G or so....both in mutuals. I am thinking of moving mine into all stocks and booming or busting

Patler
06-13-2011, 09:46 PM
SNDK; got in early on that one so that was a goodie

To be honest many of my failures have turned out to be successes. It kind of makes me sick. I had stock in CREE and NTAP and sold out of fear. I don't want to check my history of trades at Scotttrade because there are many more just like that. For the most part I was on with the technologies and that they would grow market share. But I was a chickenshit. Rather than being a dumbass and holding onto CSCO, I should've rolled the dice and kept some of the high flyers that have bounced back very nicely.

Two very consistent picks seem to be prevailent out of all of this research I'm doing.........EMC......and AAPL for what it's worth.

Stocks like RVBD ....very exciting to me.......but who knows.

Besides our decent size retirement accounts, my wife and I each have one Roth IRA account worth around 30G or so....both in mutuals. I am thinking of moving mine into all stocks and booming or busting

My two biggest holdings right now that I consider "long term" holdings are AAPL and CAT. I am considering buying more of one or both with what has happened recently. More likely CAT than AAPL.

Bretsky
06-13-2011, 10:46 PM
ARHMY is a stock Partial was always hyping; I think he was right overall

Partial
07-28-2011, 11:38 PM
iPad is revolutionary. It's just beginning for that device. People won't have laptaps in 5 years. They'll have an iPad with a bluetooth keyboard for when typing is necessary.

They have this market absolutely by the balls. iPhone lost some market share due to being on limited carriers. iPad doesn't have that short coming and is a hell of a product.

By that AAPL Bretsky. Even at 400 it's a steal. It's going to hit 1k in the next few years. You can take that to the bank.

I found this thread when looking for a technology thread to tout how great of a laptop the 11" MacBook Air is. Has there ever been a better consumer laptop? It's inexpensive at 1k, easily around the same price as most other sub notebooks. It's build quality is much higher than just about everything else in this space. What casual user is going to choose the 7 lbs Dell over the 2 lbs MacBook Air? It's incredibly easy to present a story to the consumer that will have them jumping all over the MBA. So thin, yet powerful, and so elegant. This is the greatest notebook ever made. Without a doubt. Kudos to Jon Ivey for making the world beautiful. Who knew that someone who grew up wanting to design cars would drift so far out of that space and make such a huge impact in technology with his bleeding edge risky designs.

Freak Out
07-29-2011, 12:42 AM
The fuckers keep pushing me to the 15 pro because the sandy bridge gpu still sucks.

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2011, 06:16 AM
pssst. plastics!

Partial
07-29-2011, 08:20 AM
The fuckers keep pushing me to the 15 pro because the sandy bridge gpu still sucks.

The GPU isn't too bad. It's good enough for entry level stuff and certainly the best intel GPU to come out yet. If you're not playing games or doing any sort of GPGPU computing, it's probably 100% fine. I would get the 4GB of ram, though, as the integrated GPU will use some of your memory.

I could see where it'd be the perfect machine for you with what you do and how much you seem to travel. Having said that, I believe you have an iPad for that role, and you really can't go wrong either way. I could definitely see wanting a beefier machine to compliment the iPad.

Freak Out
08-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Well....I got my hands on a Air today and I have to say that I'm not impressed with the screen quality. The Pro just blows it away.

I'm going to look at something not made in a communist country as well....who manufactures outside of China these days? Fujitsu, Panasonic, Samsung maybe? Any of the Taiwanese companies? I know the greedy Americans have all sold out correct?

Scott Campbell
08-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Well....I got my hands on a Air today and I have to say that I'm not impressed with the screen quality. The Pro just blows it away.

I'm going to look at something not made in a communist country as well....who manufactures outside of China these days? Fujitsu, Panasonic, Samsung maybe? Any of the Taiwanese companies? I know the greedy Americans have all sold out correct?

Are any of the screens manufactured outside of China these days?

Freak Out
08-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Sure. Korea, Japan and the US have fabs....I think Korea has the highest yields though.

3irty1
08-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Here's my fundamental issue with buying AAPL long term. Its a company with fans which just screams bubble to me. As we all understand its not just enough to do well as a company, you have to exceed market expectations for your stock to blow up and AAPL holders are already out of control fanboys. I fear that their stock is like their products, way overpriced but people will still trade for it because its Apple. Eventually even the fanboys realize that this demand is artificial. Even worse is that if its not already overvalued by nature of its fanboy following its a lock to be a bubble eventually. Getting a good deal on anything Apple is like getting good odds on the Cowboys to win the superbowl. Way too many moron fans.

Patler
08-02-2011, 03:53 PM
AAPL is moving upward on share pricing fundamentals. Anything that you look at from their financial reports pretty much screams for a much higher share price, including sitting on an estimated 60 billion in liquid cash reserves. But, like any company that produces relatively few products, if a major new product bombs in the market place their shares will take a beating.

I think AAPL is a stock that will return very nicely for the foreseeable future, but like any stock it has to be watched from quarter to quarter, and if they release a relatively weak financial report, take at least some of your profits and don't let them all dribble away.

Nothing is certain, ever.

MJZiggy
08-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Here ya go, B.

http://www.good.is/post/forget-wifi-it-s-lifi-internet-through-lightbulbs/