PDA

View Full Version : Tauscher not sure if he's done yet

red
06-11-2011, 10:15 AM
from PFT

Mark Tauscher, who has played all eleven of his NFL seasons in Green Bay, says he’s not sure if he will continue to play football in 2011.

He’s under contract for $4.1 million next year, but it seems next to impossible that the Packers will pay that number. Perhaps the Packers would give Tauscher a chance to make the team with a reduced contract, but the longtime right tackle doesn’t sound like he was sure he would even try to play.

“You know, I haven’t really figured out what I’m going to do yet,” Tauscher told Lori Nickel of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel on Friday at a charity golf event run by Greg Jennings.

Tauscher will just focus on getting healthy for now.

“Honestly I’m just rehabbing my shoulder and trying to play some golf,” Tauscher said. “When the lockout ends I’m sure I’ll get things figured out, one way or another, and see where we’re at.”

----------------------------------------------------

we're pretty much set at RT with baluga there, plus we got the new rook, so i don't see mark as more then a backup and mentor to the two young guys. but i would love to have him back in that capacity, at a lower price.

and if he's done? well he's been a hell of a packer

get louder at lambeau
06-11-2011, 10:38 AM
I think the guy's done, whether he knows it or not. His play dropped off last year, and now he's a little bit older, expensive, and coming off a shoulder injury.

MJZiggy
06-11-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm hoping that once he really drops, he can hang around and teach technique to the younger players.

red
06-11-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm hoping that once he really drops, he can hang around and teach technique to the younger players.

exactly

Joemailman
06-11-2011, 03:55 PM
It doesn't look good for him, unless they decide to move Bulaga to LG. The Packers like their backups to be able to play more than one position, and that isn't something Tauscher can do. One thing that maybe would work in his favor would be a shortened training camp/preseason, as that might make it tough for rookies to be ready to contribute at the start of the season.

red
06-11-2011, 05:31 PM
It doesn't look good for him, unless they decide to move Bulaga to LG. The Packers like their backups to be able to play more than one position, and that isn't something Tauscher can do. One thing that maybe would work in his favor would be a shortened training camp/preseason, as that might make it tough for rookies to be ready to contribute at the start of the season.

i've been thinking about that idea too. keep one of the 2 young tackles at RT, move the other one to LG to get colledge out of there and keep mark as a backup RT, or even a starter for awhile until sherrod is ready to take over

bobblehead
06-11-2011, 06:36 PM

It wasn't so long ago that they were talking about kevin barry playing RT and Tausch playing RG. I don't believe you (or I) have any idea if Tausch can play another position or not.

bobblehead
06-11-2011, 06:36 PM
PS....Some of us would really like a new OL coach.

Joemailman
06-11-2011, 07:07 PM
It wasn't so long ago that they were talking about kevin barry playing RT and Tausch playing RG. I don't believe you (or I) have any idea if Tausch can play another position or not.

Kevin Barry? That would have been 5 years ago. Tauscher isn't the same guy physically he was 5 years ago. Tauscher actually did play a game or two at RG once due to injuries, but I don't think there's any way he could play G effectively now.

bobblehead
06-12-2011, 04:59 AM
Kevin Barry? That would have been 5 years ago. Tauscher isn't the same guy physically he was 5 years ago. Tauscher actually did play a game or two at RG once due to injuries, but I don't think there's any way he could play G effectively now.

I don't think he can play any position effectively right now, but there is simply no way for sure that you and I can know how versatile he is at this point. He was always a starting RT which is a much more premium position that guard. The fact that he didn't play guard didn't mean he couldn't be an excellent one.

Personally I think Tausch is done. He is getting up there, often injured at this point and not the player he was. We have younger options so I think that he doesn't make the team. The only thing I was getting at is that it has nothing to do with wether or not he can play guard and that we certainly don't have enough information to know if that is the case. You and I are probably in agreement here other than that one point.

Bretsky
06-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Being a Badger lover, a strong part of me just hoped Tausch walks away and stays with the team in some capacity as a coach. I don't think TT will bring him back at his current contract, and adjusting things on the downside is a dicey proposition.

woodbuck27
06-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Being a Badger lover, a strong part of me just hoped Tausch walks away and stays with the team in some capacity as a coach. I don't think TT will bring him back at his current contract, and adjusting things on the downside is a dicey proposition.

Yup. He"s been tailig off the past 4-5 seasons but he's been a good one for us.

Smeefers
06-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Yup. He"s been tailig off the past 4-5 seasons but he's been a good one for us.
4-5 years? Huh. It's funny how two people watching the same team can see two different things. I remember 2 years ago when Tauscher got hurt at the end of the year, he had been playing solid all year and I thought he was going to come back and continue to be solid at the right side. At the same time I thought Clifton was done. He was hurt every year, his knees were made up of pea gravel and he just looked like he didn't want to deal with the garbage any more. Of course, I was completely wrong, Tauscher never really recovered from his injury and Clifton got named to the pro bowl.