PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Cornerbacks

HarveyWallbangers
06-13-2011, 05:09 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2011-06-05-nfl-best-cornerbacks_N.htm

Per USA Today

Hard to argue with this also.

1. Darrelle Revis (80), New York Jets
2. Nnamdi Asomugha (67), Oakland Raiders
3. Charles Woodson (63), Green Bay Packers
4. Asante Samuel (46), Philadelphia Eagles
5. Champ Bailey (41), Denver Broncos
6. Tramon Williams (29), Green Bay Packers
7. Devin McCourty (27), New England Patriots
8. Antoine Winfield (23), Minnesota Vikings
9. Brent Grimes (12), Atlanta Falcons
10. Aqib Talib (11), Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Others receiving votes: DeAngelo Hall, Redskins (9); Leon Hall, Bengals (6); Brandon Flowers, Chiefs (4); Joe Haden, Browns (4); Dunta Robinson, Falcons (4); Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Cardinals (4); Ronde Barber, Buccaneers (3); Terence Newman, Cowboys (3); Vontae Davis, Dolphins (2); Cortland Finnegan, Titans (2).

Smidgeon
06-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Surprised Tramon's getting recognized by the media... Don't get me wrong. It's well-deserved. I'm just surprised.

retailguy
06-13-2011, 06:48 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2011-06-05-nfl-best-cornerbacks_N.htm

10. Aqib Talib (11), Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Can you play cornerback from state prison?

vince
06-13-2011, 07:18 PM
I wanted to move Winfield, Bailey and Woodson down a few slots because of their age but I had a hard time moving any of the others ahead of them. I could move Williams up ahead of Bailey and I think he had a better year last year than Samuel, but I wouldn't disagree with the argument that he needs to repeat his stellar year before he gets into the top 5.

Samuel avoids contact at all costs IMO. Tramon surprised me last year with his good tackling to go with his great coverage.

Bretsky
06-13-2011, 08:18 PM
I'd like to point out the Bretsky was VERY Bullish on McCourty before that draft. My curse seems to be wearing thinner :)

Deputy Nutz
06-13-2011, 10:05 PM
I take Williams over Samuel and Bailey, but not ahead of Woodson. Woodson is so damn gifted in the art of playing football, sure Williams might have the younger legs, but Woodson is a great football player, a good corner, but a great football player.

Revis is overrated but not by much, Asumugha is better.

HarveyWallbangers
06-13-2011, 11:20 PM
I'd pretty much agree with what everyone is saying, but you usually have some head scratchers in these things, and I think they did a pretty good job. I personally think Antoine Winfield is a bit overrated.

Smeefers
06-14-2011, 07:39 AM
Tramon has gotten a lot more talk since the playoffs and super bowl. He had some monster interceptions, like the game clincher against the eagles or the just before halftime TD that blew open the Falcon's game. I think ESPN blogger Kevin Seifert beating the drum on Tramon helps his notoriety as well.

KYPack
06-14-2011, 08:09 AM
I'd pretty much agree with what everyone is saying, but you usually have some head scratchers in these things, and I think they did a pretty good job. I personally think Antoine Winfield is a bit overrated.

Winfield is really good. You have to factor in the old "pound for pound" argument with him. He isn't very big, but man, he does all the dirty work you need to do at his size.

I'm with Nutz on Asomugha. The guy does it all and brilliantly. Leon Hall would be in the top 10 on my list. He just plays on a shit team. Talib has the skills, but I've seen him get abused in games. Sometimes he's lost in games. Probably dreaming about robbing gas stations or something.

HarveyWallbangers
06-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Winfield is really good. You have to factor in the old "pound for pound" argument with him. He isn't very big, but man, he does all the dirty work you need to do at his size.

Winfield is the best CB in the NFL in run support, but I think it comes down to me preferring corners that are great at coverage. Winfield is smart, good at run support. smart in zone coverage, and decent in man-to-man, but I don't think he's good enough in man-to-man coverage to rank him in the top 10 for me. He's close though. Woodson's coverage skills have deteriorated a bit, but he's such a playmaker that it makes up for it. Winfield isn't a dynamic playmaker. He's averaged 0.5 sacks, less than 2 interceptions/year, and less than 10 pass deflections in his career. And it's not like teams never throw on him. And his numbers haven't really changed since his Buffalo days--although the sacks are up a bit. To put that into perspective, Woodson has averaged almost 2 sacks, 6 interceptions, and over 15 pass deflections per year since coming to Green Bay.

Maybe seeing him get burned by Ruvell Martin multiple times in a game has clouded my judgement. :)

Tony Oday
06-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Shields will be here next year :)

Freak Out
06-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Are the Packers still in the running to sign Nnamdi if and when they can try again?

Guiness
06-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Shields will be here next year :)

You would have to flat out laugh if they made a top 10 corner list that included 3 players from one team!!! Talk about an embarrassment of riches!

Bretsky
06-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Winfield is the best CB in the NFL in run support, but I think it comes down to me preferring corners that are great at coverage. Winfield is smart, good at run support. smart in zone coverage, and decent in man-to-man, but I don't think he's good enough in man-to-man coverage to rank him in the top 10 for me. He's close though. Woodson's coverage skills have deteriorated a bit, but he's such a playmaker that it makes up for it. Winfield isn't a dynamic playmaker. He's averaged 0.5 sacks, less than 2 interceptions/year, and less than 10 pass deflections in his career. And it's not like teams never throw on him. And his numbers haven't really changed since his Buffalo days--although the sacks are up a bit. To put that into perspective, Woodson has averaged almost 2 sacks, 6 interceptions, and over 15 pass deflections per year since coming to Green Bay.

Maybe seeing him get burned by Ruvell Martin multiple times in a game has clouded my judgement. :)

Ruvell burned a CB twice in one game ?

I must have been drunk :)

Bretsky
06-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Are the Packers still in the running to sign Nnamdi if and when they can try again?

Perhaps I missed something............but did anybody really believe the Packers were ever in the running ????

HarveyWallbangers
06-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Ruvell burned a CB twice in one game ?

I must have been drunk :)

Second video link. :)

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2006122100/2006/REG16/vikings@packers#tab:watch

Deputy Nutz
06-15-2011, 01:01 AM
Asumugha said he wanted to be reunited with Woodson and would consider GB as a destination. Would Thompson break the bank to sign him? I doubt it, but I think you have to make exceptions for top tier guys when it comes to free agency.

Winfield is overrated, he is too small to play the way he does and he misses more and more time each season because of it.

Smeefers
06-15-2011, 07:21 AM
It just blows my mind that Asomughasuntites only had 5 more points than woodson. I think of Revis and Asomugha as the obvious top two in the league and everyone else is far behind in the talent level.

Gunakor
06-17-2011, 09:06 AM
Asumugha said he wanted to be reunited with Woodson and would consider GB as a destination. Would Thompson break the bank to sign him? I doubt it, but I think you have to make exceptions for top tier guys when it comes to free agency.

I think I heard that Scrabble would take a discount to play here as well. It'll still be a large chunk of change, but probably more team friendly than anyone else could have him for. It could happen. It should happen, really. Makes too much sense. I doubt you're gonna find another Asomugha in the draft any time soon. Scrabble is a long term solution at the corner which doesn't have a long term solution right now. And short term, we play nickel enough that we'd often have 3 of the top 6 CB's in football on the field at the same time. Who do you throw at?

If he's willing to take a more team friendly deal to play here in Green Bay, and willing to sign for 6 or 7 years like Woodson did when he got here, this is a no brainer. Pay the man.

Cheesehead Craig
06-17-2011, 09:48 AM
The writers still think they are voting for the Winfield of 2007. Overrated and his performance likely is going to very noticeably decline this coming season.

Agree with Nmandi, just a phenominal player.

I find it interesting that Cromartie (Jets) didn't get any votes. He's an absolute shitty tackler, but still has some good cover skills.

3irty1
06-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Vonte Davis should make the top 10. Flowers is better than some people they have in the top 10. I'd expect the saints CB's to get a few votes at least. Antoine Winfield above any of these guys is a joke.

Packgator
06-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Two of the top six corners in the world......on the same team. Nice!!

Guiness
06-18-2011, 09:28 AM
No way to I think Asomugha should be that far behind Revis.

Of course I like the idea of Asomugha being in Green Bay, but what do you do with all the bodies in the secondary? You would need CWood to move to a safety type roll for that to happen, because Shields has certainly shown he deserves to be on the field. And it seems ridiculous to move the #3 CB in the league to safety!

3irty1
06-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Sam Shields could honestly make this list by the middle of this season. Chuck could also fall off of it but I'm not going to bet against him.

Tarlam!
06-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Chuck could also fall off of it but I'm not going to bet against him.

Only cause he'll really start playing that rover position that won't qualify him in the secondary or as a LB. Was it Nutz that said the guy just knows how to play football.

I woder how much of a hand he had in developing Williams and Shields, because I could see him being a HC someday. He's one smart dude.

Brandon494
06-18-2011, 02:37 PM
No way to I think Asomugha should be that far behind Revis.

Of course I like the idea of Asomugha being in Green Bay, but what do you do with all the bodies in the secondary? You would need CWood to move to a safety type roll for that to happen, because Shields has certainly shown he deserves to be on the field. And it seems ridiculous to move the #3 CB in the league to safety!

Most CBs it wouldn't make sense to make that move but at this point in Woodson's career he's not the best in coverage anymore. Blitzing and his play making ability are a bigger part of his game which I believe would translate well to the safety position in our defense. Similair to the role Troy Polumau plays in the Steelers 3-4. The move would also prolong his career as it did with Rod Woodson and allow us to aquire the best CB in the league IMO.

3irty1
06-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Woodson has never been that amazing in man to man coverage for us, I'm not sure his skills in that area really are diminishing. The guy was still step for step with Mike Wallace in the Super Bowl before he was hurt. His new role will certainly lengthen his career as well but even if he lost a step and was limited to only playing in the slot he's such a threat to take the ball away and score that he won't ever be abused.

Tarlam!
06-18-2011, 03:09 PM
I don't know enough about it to state with authority, but what my untrained eye tells me is that TP plays a lot of plays far deeper than what Woodson should. It would be a dream to negotiate for the services of Asoumagu.

Tarlam!
07-11-2011, 06:36 AM
I found this article to be an interesting read. Source: NFL.Com

Asomugha is a star, but suitors have reason to be worried

Nnamdi Asomugha arguably is the best cornerback in the game, but most teams would be wise not to break the bank for his services when he hits the open market.

Not that Asomugha isn't worthy of commanding top dollar as a shutdown corner, but there are several factors that should create pause before someone snatches up the perceived crown jewel of the free-agent class.

Recent history has proven that championship teams don't need the presence of a Pro Bowl corner. While the Green Bay Packers were the exception in their journey to the Lombardi Trophy last season, recent Super Bowl winners haven't relied on the play of a star cornerback.

Part of that can be attributed to the increase in zone-based coverage like the Tampa 2 and various zone-blitz schemes. Asomugha would help teams wanting to get after the quarterback with pressure and leaving their cornerbacks in isolated matchups, but it isn't a requirement to have great one-on-one corners to thrive within the increasingly popular zone systems in the league.

There's also the question about Asomugha's impact on a defense. No one denies his skills or ability to blanket one half of the field, yet one wonders if he truly makes his unit better. Even with Asomugha's three consecutive Pro Bowl nods from 2008 to 2010 and heading a pass defense that ranked in the top 10 each of those seasons, the Oakland Raiders didn't finish in the top 10 in total defense during that span.

Asomugha has 11 career picks, with just two coming during the past three seasons, to go with two forced fumbles. Considering he has faced just 98 pass attempts since 2008, respect for his game limits the number of chances to create turnovers.

Still, the lack of turnovers goes beyond Asomugha's fear factor. The fact that he has primarily played right corner also has limited the amount of pass attempts he has faced. The right side is considered the weaker of the two cornerback spots because most quarterbacks are right-handed and the majority of throws head in that direction -- and challenging the left corner.

Unlike some elite cornerbacks who shadow the opponent's top receiver, Asomugha has typically stayed on his assigned side. While he had success moving around more in 2010, teams have been able to find their No. 1 receiver by moving him away from Asomugha when they face the Raiders.

In comparing his output to other elite corners, Asomugha falls well short in the turnover category. Champ Bailey (48 interceptions and six forced fumbles), Charles Woodson (47 interceptions and 22 forced fumbles) and Asante Samuel (42 interceptions and five forced fumbles) are not only excellent cover guys, but they have shown a consistent ability to get their hands on the ball.

Darrelle Revis, the cornerback often touted as the game's best, has created more total turnovers (14 interceptions and two forced fumbles) in four fewer seasons than Asomugha's 13.

Given the impact of turnovers, teams should seriously investigate if Asomugha can do enough to justify the hefty commitment an interested team like the Houston Texans would have to make. The same goes for potential suitors in the Detriot Lions, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboys.

Teams are reluctant to commit big money to aging players, and Asomugha is 30, so that's a concern. He could be nearing the end of his athletic prime, and his skills will start to diminish during the middle of his contract. That's an even greater possibility when you consider how he uses his 6-foot-2, 210-pound frame to maul receivers in bump-and-run coverage. That physical style of play could takes a toll over an extended career and diminish his skills quicker.

Asomugha is believed to be the final piece to a championship puzzle, but one wonders if his age and lack of production will produce a case of buyer's remorse in a few years for the team that gives him a monster contract.

Guiness
07-11-2011, 07:01 AM
The actual size of the contract he may be looking could make things dicey as well.

Wasn't his contract with the Raiders for the average salary of the top five QB's???

:worship::worship::worship: to his agent.

bobblehead
07-11-2011, 11:27 AM
I found this article to be an interesting read. Source: NFL.Com

Asomugha is a star, but suitors have reason to be worried

Nnamdi Asomugha arguably is the best cornerback in the game, but most teams would be wise not to break the bank for his services when he hits the open market.

Not that Asomugha isn't worthy of commanding top dollar as a shutdown corner, but there are several factors that should create pause before someone snatches up the perceived crown jewel of the free-agent class.

Recent history has proven that championship teams don't need the presence of a Pro Bowl corner. While the Green Bay Packers were the exception in their journey to the Lombardi Trophy last season, recent Super Bowl winners haven't relied on the play of a star cornerback.

Part of that can be attributed to the increase in zone-based coverage like the Tampa 2 and various zone-blitz schemes. Asomugha would help teams wanting to get after the quarterback with pressure and leaving their cornerbacks in isolated matchups, but it isn't a requirement to have great one-on-one corners to thrive within the increasingly popular zone systems in the league.

There's also the question about Asomugha's impact on a defense. No one denies his skills or ability to blanket one half of the field, yet one wonders if he truly makes his unit better. Even with Asomugha's three consecutive Pro Bowl nods from 2008 to 2010 and heading a pass defense that ranked in the top 10 each of those seasons, the Oakland Raiders didn't finish in the top 10 in total defense during that span.

Asomugha has 11 career picks, with just two coming during the past three seasons, to go with two forced fumbles. Considering he has faced just 98 pass attempts since 2008, respect for his game limits the number of chances to create turnovers.

Still, the lack of turnovers goes beyond Asomugha's fear factor. The fact that he has primarily played right corner also has limited the amount of pass attempts he has faced. The right side is considered the weaker of the two cornerback spots because most quarterbacks are right-handed and the majority of throws head in that direction -- and challenging the left corner.

Unlike some elite cornerbacks who shadow the opponent's top receiver, Asomugha has typically stayed on his assigned side. While he had success moving around more in 2010, teams have been able to find their No. 1 receiver by moving him away from Asomugha when they face the Raiders.

In comparing his output to other elite corners, Asomugha falls well short in the turnover category. Champ Bailey (48 interceptions and six forced fumbles), Charles Woodson (47 interceptions and 22 forced fumbles) and Asante Samuel (42 interceptions and five forced fumbles) are not only excellent cover guys, but they have shown a consistent ability to get their hands on the ball.

Darrelle Revis, the cornerback often touted as the game's best, has created more total turnovers (14 interceptions and two forced fumbles) in four fewer seasons than Asomugha's 13.

Given the impact of turnovers, teams should seriously investigate if Asomugha can do enough to justify the hefty commitment an interested team like the Houston Texans would have to make. The same goes for potential suitors in the Detriot Lions, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboys.

Teams are reluctant to commit big money to aging players, and Asomugha is 30, so that's a concern. He could be nearing the end of his athletic prime, and his skills will start to diminish during the middle of his contract. That's an even greater possibility when you consider how he uses his 6-foot-2, 210-pound frame to maul receivers in bump-and-run coverage. That physical style of play could takes a toll over an extended career and diminish his skills quicker.

Asomugha is believed to be the final piece to a championship puzzle, but one wonders if his age and lack of production will produce a case of buyer's remorse in a few years for the team that gives him a monster contract.

2 points I like that this article indirectly makes. 1) Hitting the QB is better than trying to stop him through coverage. 2) You never know how a guy is going to perform in your system based on how he performed in a different one.

This leads me to conclude that I would rather spend on an OLB opposite Clay, but better yet I would rather develope my own, know they are good fits for GB, and resign them.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Vonte Davis should make the top 10. Flowers is better than some people they have in the top 10. I'd expect the saints CB's to get a few votes at least. Antoine Winfield above any of these guys is a joke.

Was thinking the same thing about Flowers. I would easily put him in the top ten.

smuggler
07-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Winfield is overrated, he is too small to play the way he does and he misses more and more time each season because of it.

He does have a bit of an injury history, but he is not overrated. He is slightly underrated.

The writers still think they are voting for the Winfield of 2007. Overrated and his performance likely is going to very noticeably decline this coming season.

Decline could come at any time, but it sure didn't come in 2010.

Antoine Winfield above any of these guys is a joke.

Winfield was probably a top-5 cover guy last year, once he came off his injury. He's pretty freakin' good. He performed better than Williams and Woodson, strictly at plastering. We ask different things of our corners than Minny does of Winfield, though. Williams and Woodson were playmakers, in addition to their respective coverage-ace and line-butlering duties.