PDA

View Full Version : hey car nerds

SkinBasket
06-14-2011, 07:27 AM
So what's the deal with the differential fluid in a truck? I'm not convinced it ever needs to be replaced, but those fuckers at valvoline recommend every 15k miles. What the mother fuck, I'm not street racing the fucking thing, and I'm barely convinced to change my oil that often. So, how often does a fella have to replace the differential fluid?

retailguy
06-14-2011, 08:34 AM
My Highlander gets done every 30k miles, and it's typically pretty dirty.

SkinBasket
06-14-2011, 09:56 AM
That's more in line with what I thought. Like I said, I'm not driving a fucking race car.

Of course, I guess there's still guys who change their oil every 3000 miles because the guys who make motor oil tell them to, so there's still a market for over-maintenance.

Freak Out
06-14-2011, 11:52 AM
How old is the truck?

retailguy
06-14-2011, 11:56 AM
That's more in line with what I thought. Like I said, I'm not driving a fucking race car.

Of course, I guess there's still guys who change their oil every 3000 miles because the guys who make motor oil tell them to, so there's still a market for over-maintenance.

this is rather timely.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2011-06-13-oil-change-jiffy-lube-recommendation_n.htm

Scott Campbell
06-14-2011, 01:27 PM
So what's the deal with the differential fluid in a truck? I'm not convinced it ever needs to be replaced, but those fuckers at valvoline recommend every 15k miles. What the mother fuck, I'm not street racing the fucking thing, and I'm barely convinced to change my oil that often. So, how often does a fella have to replace the differential fluid?

More often than that if your crossing streams and badass shit like that.

SkinBasket
06-14-2011, 01:41 PM
How old is the truck?

less than a year old. 19k miles.

Freak Out
06-14-2011, 01:47 PM
less than a year old. 19k miles.

Fuck.....30 thousand would be pushing it. Today's lubricatnts can handle some abuse and LOTS of miles.

SkinBasket
06-14-2011, 01:51 PM
this is rather timely.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2011-06-13-oil-change-jiffy-lube-recommendation_n.htm

Some quick-lube operators argue, however, that if car owners haven't changed their oil for 5,000 miles or more, despite what a manual might say, they are asking for trouble. "We know what we see," says Pat Wirth, president of the 1,200-member Automotive Oil Change Association.

All I know is that I have rarely changed oil under 8000 miles in a variety of vehicles from cars to SUVs to trucks, from cheap to luxury, from old ass to brand new, and I have never had a problem result from that. So the Automotive Oil Change Association can stick their propaganda up their collective well lubed asshole.

retailguy
06-14-2011, 03:27 PM
All I know is that I have rarely changed oil under 8000 miles in a variety of vehicles from cars to SUVs to trucks, from cheap to luxury, from old ass to brand new, and I have never had a problem result from that. So the Automotive Oil Change Association can stick their propaganda up their collective well lubed asshole.

I change my eclass at 5k, and the highlander at 7k, both have over 140k miles and nary a hiccup. In today's cars, 3k is ridiculous.

Scott Campbell
06-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Today's lubricatnts can handle some abuse and LOTS of miles.

That's what she said.

mraynrand
06-15-2011, 08:43 AM
You can tell pretty quick if your oil is getting nasty. 5-7K in a new car, 5K in a car with more than say 70K on it. Other fluids, less frequent than the manual by about 1/2. Just remember to keep your tires inflated, then we won't be dependent on foreign oil and the Jihadists will leave us alone.

mraynrand
06-15-2011, 08:45 AM
I change my eclass at 5k, and the highlander at 7k, both have over 140k miles and nary a hiccup. In today's cars, 3k is ridiculous.

Screw you, Mr. Fancypants new model driver. I change the oil on my '72 LTD every other week. Well, actually I just add a quart every other week.

retailguy
06-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Screw you, Mr. Fancypants new model driver. I change the oil on my '72 LTD every other week. Well, actually I just add a quart every other week.

Actually, a well maintained 72 LTD is probably worth more than both of my cars. I buy old quality and take care of them. I'll replace the eclass next year, with another eclass (my 4th) six year old car. That's the bottom of the steep part of the depreciation curve. I paid $10k for the last eclass I bought. It was six years old with 56k on it. It is now pushing 170k and I've put $2k in maintenance that did not consist of fluid changes or tires and brakes.

I kept it a little longer than typical, as the reviews on the 2000 to 2003 models weren't so good. 2004 & up get great reviews and they continue to be stellar as the car gets older. I'll look for a 2006 in the spring, or perhaps a 2007, and I'll pay no more than 15k, and get plenty of car for that money.

It works well for me. It's not for everyone, but this guy will probably never own a new car, by choice.

Scott Campbell
06-15-2011, 09:44 AM
One of the reasons I change at 5K is that it's easy to remember. I just use the odometer and don't screw with the stupid stickers.

mraynrand
06-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Actually, a well maintained 72 LTD is probably worth more than both of my cars.

Would twere that it were.

http://www.danieldale.net/carpics/72ltd-a.jpg

retailguy
06-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Would twere that it were.

http://www.danieldale.net/carpics/72ltd-a.jpg

Hmm. I guess a new set of hubcaps and a weekend at Earl Sheib would go a long way towards repairing your image.