PDA

View Full Version : Room for a new safety - or not?

Patler
06-16-2011, 04:31 AM
Have to think Collins, Burnett and Peprah will be there. Then who?

Bush is an ideal reserve who provides great value on game day. He can come in at CB or safety in a pinch, while being a major contributor on special teams. But, I believe he is unsigned. Will the Packers give him another big contract for a backup player?

They seemed high on Levine at one time, but there is no room for him unless one of the above is let go, or they consider Bush as a CB and keep Levine as the #4 safety. But CB has four virtual locks (Williams, Woodson, Shields and House) plus Lee and Underwood.

Then there is Greco, who the Packers signed and released from the practice squad a couple times. I believe he ended the season on the PS. A big guy at 6'3". There must be something there that they like.

I can't imagine Bigby or Smith being back, but....

Smeefers
06-16-2011, 07:37 AM
We're going to have even bigger problems when we sign Asomgazuntites. Wood will move over to safety which will bump burnett back.

I love these kinds of problems. I'm sure it'll be Bush, the coaches love him and I'm finally starting to not hate him with every fiber of my being.

vince
06-16-2011, 08:04 AM
I think Smith is under contract yet, although I could be wrong on that. He'd be my 4th safety and special teamer over Levine, who I think they can stash on the PS again this year. I don't see the Packers re-signing Bigby at this point, although I think he'd be good to have as insurance. Bush is signed and makes the team as a gunner and hopefully 3rd-string slot DB behind Woodson and someone else. Lee maybe or the rook. I think Underwood is gone. Don't know squat about Greco.

KYPack
06-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Have to think Collins, Burnett and Peprah will be there. Then who?

Bush is an ideal reserve who provides great value on game day. He can come in at CB or safety in a pinch, while being a major contributor on special teams. But, I believe he is unsigned. Will the Packers give him another big contract for a backup player?

They seemed high on Levine at one time, but there is no room for him unless one of the above is let go, or they consider Bush as a CB and keep Levine as the #4 safety. But CB has four virtual locks (Williams, Woodson, Shields and House) plus Lee and Underwood.

Then there is Greco, who the Packers signed and released from the practice squad a couple times. I believe he ended the season on the PS. A big guy at 6'3". There must be something there that they like.

I can't imagine Bigby or Smith being back, but....

Bush and Woodson are the polar opposites as DB's. Wood always knows where our defenses are vulnerable and what part of the offensive set can be exploited. He takes that information and always is in the exact best position to help us. Bush never has any idea of our D and doesn't have the sophistication to read offenses.

To compound the problem, Bush is what coaches call a "cowboy". He goes his own way. Defense is a total team game and one cowboy on D will always screw things up.

Amazingly, Bush was rewarded for his cowboy behavior in the SB. Big Ben called a quick slant to a slot receiver to get some of the pressure off the offense. Bush had the slot seam in a zone. His job was to do a match-up zone cover to the slot receiver. At the snap, Bush abandoned his assignment and wandered into the middle of the Packer zone. Ben read the Packer D and threw to the left side receiver on the quick slant. (Meanwhile, Bush's guy was wide open for a long one down the left seam) When all this happened I was in my living room, moaning touchdown for Pitt.

But it wasn't. Bush was in the totally the wrong place at the right time. Bush intercepted the ball for a big pick. I image Darren Perry and Joe Whitt Jr were holding their heads when they watched this bit of film. They must be thinking that they will never get this kid's head right now.

3irty1
06-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Chuck won't move. He's invented a new position for himself that makes our 2-4 base D possible.

Bush is best served as a slot wr coverman which in our D means dimeback. He's as good at that job as anyone else with no ball skills IMO. Perhaps he's a serviceable FS backup but I somehow doubt it.

Burnett will either start at SS and be backed up by Peprah or back up both spots. If he develops like I think he will with Dom around, I think he'll move closer and closer to the line--possibly in a role similar to what Chuck has now.

On a star studded Defense the easiest way to make the team could be as a safety.