PDA

View Full Version : Survivalist Emergency Backpack Recommendations

SkinBasket
06-16-2011, 12:48 PM
So, I've been getting a little bored stockpiling ammunition, and figured it was time to start putting together an emergency backpack. But I don't hike, so I need recommendations for a nice large backpack that doesn't suck. Been looking at this one as the best so far...
http://www.departmentofgoods.com/mountainsmith-bridger-backpack

Also any advice on a good utility knife that can also be used to stab bandits and pregnant woman food raiders.

Also feel free to list items that you feel should be in the backpack. For now, I have planned:

-Swedish Firesteel - Army Model
-Cotton Patches
-Polar Pure Water Disinfectant With Iodine Crystals (10000 quarts worth)
-120 KIO3 170 mg Potassium Iodate
-500 Excedrin
-200 Zip Ties
-Duct Tape
-Medical Tape
-Gauze
-neosporin
-hydrogen peroxide (maybe. weight to use ratio not good)
-Multipurpose Screwdriver
-Ratchet Set
-wire cutter/pliers tool
-100 ft nylon cord
-a few cigarette lighters
-mini crank radio/flashflight

-ammunition, clothing, and food will be added if and when the backpack is deployed

red
06-16-2011, 01:32 PM
- One forty-five caliber automatic
- Two boxes of ammunition
- Four days' concentrated emergency rations
- One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
- One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
- One hundred dollars in rubles
- One hundred dollars in gold
- Nine packs of chewing gum
- One issue of prophylactics
- Three lipsticks
- Three pair of nylon stockings.

red
06-16-2011, 01:36 PM
oh fuck it, i can't remember how to add a video

SkinBasket
06-16-2011, 02:10 PM
- Three lipsticks

Sounds more like the Progressive Surrender Bag, except you need the communist manifesto/chinese dictionary instead of the Bible/russian. Just what you need until your new protectorate can find and feed you.

Scott Campbell
06-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Must have Zebralight.

http://goinggear.com/images/products/zebralighth51.jpg

GrnBay007
06-16-2011, 04:43 PM
A case of your favorite alcohol....not rubbing type.

Scott Campbell
06-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Also any advice on a good utility knife that can also be used to stab bandits and pregnant woman food raiders.

-Multipurpose Screwdriver
-Ratchet Set
-wire cutter/pliers tool

Ratchet set? Are you going to change out the water pump on Nutz's minvan out there? Assemble a moonshine still?

How bout a good Leatherman instead of all that stuff?

Freak Out
06-16-2011, 05:26 PM
This is where I buy throwing axes, machetes and other cool things. Great prices and shipping.

http://www.ltspecpro.com/

Don't buy a pack online until you've tried them on for fucks sake. Find a local retailer and try them out first.....then buy one online if pricing dictates.

A ratchet set? tools like that are heavy as hell if you hadn't noticed. Get a good crescent wrench and then MAYBE a nut driver if you really think it's necessary.

SkinBasket
06-16-2011, 05:42 PM
You know how many nuts there are in this nation, especially on motors and other important stuff? Repairing anything's going to require more than a crescent wrench. I'm more concerned about the ammunition weight wise. Probably should have a small hatchet too. And some omeprazole. Don't want to get heartburn trying to survive the apocalypse.

Freak Out
06-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Oh....buy a pack for your dog....make it do most the work. Or the kids.....unless the dog has eaten them.

red
06-16-2011, 07:01 PM
make sure the hatchet has one flat side so you can use it as a hammer if need be

scott and freak are right, a ratchet set is gonna weigh like 5 pounds. just get 1 crescent wrench and man up. a big enough crescent wrench can also be used as a weapon

Joemailman
06-16-2011, 07:13 PM
You just need one tool.

http://media.techeblog.com/images/swiss_army_knife_2.jpg

Deputy Nutz
06-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Black and Decker makes an all in one rachet tool, with standard and metric sockets on each side. Go to a fucking hardware store.

Cincynattagia is a long way from home. Better have some extra gas takes filled up with fuel stabilizer in them.

SkinBasket
06-16-2011, 07:41 PM
A case of your favorite alcohol....not rubbing type.

Spirits are recommended. Vodka.

hoosier
06-16-2011, 10:06 PM
- Three lipsticks

Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5qqfsQGYus

Freak Out
06-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Awesome.

SkinBasket
06-17-2011, 02:24 PM
This is where I buy throwing axes, machetes and other cool things. Great prices and shipping.

http://www.ltspecpro.com/.

That place is crazy. Convincing the wife I need a $700 samurai sword to survive for a week or two might be difficult. I like that most of the crap there comes with sheathes, but those handles don't look so ergonomic.

Picked up two bars of antibacterial handsoap, 50 gauze pads, and 60 200mg caffeine pills from Walgreens. Gauze was buy 1 get one 50% off + $1 coupon + a free plastic case to keep the stuff in. Also got the crank/solar radio/flashlight today. Been meaning to pick one up for a couple years anyway for black-outs and such. It's actually more awesome than I thought it would be, but it's a bit heavy.

Does anyone know if you can just use gasoline to clean a firearm in a pinch? I don't want to waste space carrying solvent around.

SkinBasket
06-17-2011, 02:27 PM
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU UBBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

PPPPPPPPPPPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTT TTTTTTTTTTT

3irty1
06-17-2011, 03:06 PM
How many people are supposed to survive off of this? I'd probably work in some primitive fishing supplies, hooks and line and such. Maybe a folding shovel.

Scott Campbell
06-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Also got the crank/solar radio/flashlight today. Been meaning to pick one up for a couple years anyway for black-outs and such. It's actually more awesome than I thought it would be, but it's a bit heavy.

Does anyone know if you can just use gasoline to clean a firearm in a pinch? I don't want to waste space carrying solvent around.

You really need to check out the Zebralight.

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2010/03/14/zebralight-h501-headlamp-review/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P23_gU0zy70

3irty1
06-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Seems like a flashlight to me.

Little Whiskey
06-17-2011, 10:20 PM
You really need to check out the Zebralight.

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2010/03/14/zebralight-h501-headlamp-review/

I would go with a pelican or streamlight.

these are the flash lights the military and first responders use.

Little Whiskey
06-17-2011, 10:26 PM
That place is crazy. Convincing the wife I need a $700 samurai sword to survive for a week or two might be difficult. I like that most of the crap there comes with sheathes, but those handles don't look so ergonomic.

who needs all those sissy tools and toy knives. here is your multi-tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hfLZozBVpM

GrnBay007
06-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Skin, why are you doing this?

Is something going on? Should I be packing up my nail polish and a kitchen knife (female all purpose tool) ? :)

Bretsky
06-18-2011, 12:08 AM
I thought the female all purpose tool was a vibe ?

SkinBasket
06-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Skin, why are you doing this?

Is something going on? Should I be packing up my nail polish and a kitchen knife (female all purpose tool) ? :)

Better to be prepared than dead, or hungry, or unable care for your family. Even the Red Cross recommends having emergency supplies for 3 days. Most of this stuff is stuff you use anyway. Having it in one place and ready isn't much of a burden, effort wise or financially. If something happens, I don't want to rely on our inept government - or anyone else for that matter. If nothing happens, I still use most of the stuff, cycle through it, and I have a nice backpack.

To expound on that... We have greater and greater political strife as our nation sinks deeper and deeper into financial crisis. We have large groups of folks willing to bring certain industries, supply lines, and services to a halt in order to get what they want. Things like wide area EMPs exist. As do nuclear weapons under the control of insane people. Terrorists are actively seeking to cause as much harm to us as possible through any means available. We have nuclear reactors that are decades behind on safety and borders that are a joke without a punchline. And we have weather. Natural disasters. Volatile gas prices and a government unwilling to prepare for the future in a pragmatic way. And these are just the obvious reasons to be prepared for a disruption to our jovial lives where our biggest worry is how much a frappichino costs and how many minutes we're going to have to walk the treadmill to burn it off.

We've become accustomed to this peaceful life. Even our poor have cable TV, access to shelter, health care, clothing and food. Those who should be struggling to survive simply don't have to. Not in a life or death sense. Our government regulates everything in our life, from how much money we make to how much salt we eat. Make a dollar? Pay a tax. Catch a fish? Buy a license. Want to exercise your constitutional rights? Register with the state first. Most have become lashed to the government, willing or not, and without it - for whatever reason, shit's going to come apart real fast. With half our population reliant on the government for some kind assistance or another, they're going to turn somewhere else, anywhere else, to fill that void. Because they don't have the first clue as how to survive on their own. The people who had to fight to survive in their childhood are dying and no one seems interested in remembering the lessons they learned. We, collectively, are very soft, and very unprepared should be have to fall back to a survival state. Especially the metrosexuals. They are so dead.

Scott Campbell
06-18-2011, 07:39 AM
I would go with a pelican or streamlight.

these are the flash lights the military and first responders use.

And you may want a flashlight. But a headlamp is often the handier tool.

SkinBasket
06-18-2011, 07:40 AM
Seems like a flashlight to me.

A really expensive flashlight. I'm start to think Scott's got some skin in the zebralight game.

Scott Campbell
06-18-2011, 08:01 AM
I really expensive flashlight. I'm start to think Scott's got some skin in the zebralight game.

It's not a flashlight. It's a headlamp. As in hands free. I own one. And a bunch of other lights. And this is the one that I grab most often. I use the headlamps all the time.

If you want to spend less, then this is very good too.

http://www.princetontec.com/?q=eos

But it doesn't tail stand.

Or you could order some cheap Chinese stuff from DX. Some of it is pretty good too.

But when the Apocalypse comes, you will all covet my Zebralight.

SkinBasket
06-18-2011, 08:59 AM
You're just trying to get me headshot in the apocalypse, I think.

I'll look into those princeton ones though, since I'll probably order the backpack, against freak's advice about trying it all on and stuff, from a place that carries those.

SkinBasket
06-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Need to remember to get a can opener. Don't want to happen upon a stash of hundred of cans of food and not be able to open it without shooting it.

Iron Mike
06-18-2011, 09:10 AM
This might not be a bad thing to get a hold of:

http://www.epipen.com/

MJZiggy
06-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Why don't you just go to the Army Surplus store and get everything at once. Don't forget a pup tent and for godssakes a DS. Otherwise you'll have to entertain the children during the apocalypse. And lots of batteries.

red
06-18-2011, 10:43 AM
It's not a flashlight. It's a headlamp. As in hands free. I own one. And a bunch of other lights. And this is the one that I grab most often. I use the headlamps all the time.

If you want to spend less, then this is very good too.

http://www.princetontec.com/?q=eos

But it doesn't tail stand.

Or you could order some cheap Chinese stuff from DX. Some of it is pretty good too.

But when the Apocalypse comes, you will all covet my Zebralight.

during the apocalypse, i'm gonna wander around and beat the hell out of everyone i see with a head lamp with my 6 cell maglite. just because i think they look stupid

SkinBasket
06-18-2011, 10:50 AM
If we have to use the backpack it means we will be mobile in a disastrous situation, leaving the stored food, water, shelter, safety and ammunition of our residence, which would mean things are not going well for the world, or at least our part of the world. A tent screams, "Come kill us and take our stuff." The 1 pound tarp will be fine.

I might get up in the attic this fall to build a kind of safe room/hidden storage area in case we need to fall back for safety or leave our stuff behind and hopefully be able to return for it later.

3irty1
06-18-2011, 10:53 AM
More thoughts:

Geiger counter? Don't know what these cost and will only be useful in a very specific apocalyptic situation but a) You're not going to be able to loot one. b) It'll save all of your bacon.

Bacon. In the post apocalyptic world, bacon just might be the new currency. Worst case scenario is you get to eat bacon.

Everclear. You've got a whole bunch of liquids you are talking about and I'm pretty sure most of them can be replaced with a bottle of everclear. You can sanitize wounds or drinking water with it. You can get drunk off of it. You can clean a firearm with it. You can make a wicked Molotov cocktail with it. You could even use it to fuel a car for 10 miles. Lets say you are stranded in a building surrounded by zombies and you find a chainsaw but no gas... Not a problem. Take a swig, fill up your motoraxe and hope that one of them is your old boss.

Folding shovel. The more I think about this the better of an idea it is. A shovel could be really useful for digging pitfall traps, shelters, burying your family, and could make a decent weapon. If I'm not mistaken there was an agreement made in WWI not to use bayonets and the soldiers instead started shoveling Nazi's in the windpipe when they tried to get cute storming trenches and such.

You should also study this picture:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5045/5207732003_cd6bd8b2e8.jpg
Pictured is a log fall trap but clearly displays the trigger mechanism. The log can obviously be replaced with anything else that would hurt if it fell on you--one of the easiest traps to make in an urban environment. Using this basic trigger you can replace the weight of the log with any number of other traps. You can bend a tree down and attach a snare to it, you could bend a limb back and lash a knife to it, etc.

Fishing line and hooks. I already suggested this but consider that there are several apocalyptic scenarios where fish are the only things safe to eat. They don't take up much room or contribute much weight. You can use the line as an invisible trip wire in the above booby traps. You could even use the hook/line for sewing to perform surgery or repair clothing.

Instead of an axe or hatchet consider a cleaver. It'll be quite a bit more compact and lighter, more useful as a knife and still heavy enough to do some light chopping. You can always lash something to it to give yourself a mechanical advantage and have an axe or halberd or something. Plus you'll look really bad ass as the only guy walking around with a cleaver.

SkinBasket
06-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Geiger counter starts @ $200, $500 average. I'm going to have to wing that one and just look for two headed fish.

Bacon is already in storage. http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/c399_tactical_canned_bacon.jpg

Everclear looks perfect. Thanks.

I've considered the shovel. Not decided yet.

The traps I might be fucked on. Not very good with that kind of stuff and I would probably kill myself. I'm also not a good fisherman., but you're right. Line and hooks and some wire for rings would add no noticeable weight. They're in.

I think the utility knife might be my only blade.

MJZiggy
06-18-2011, 11:53 AM
If we have to use the backpack it means we will be mobile in a disastrous situation, leaving the stored food, water, shelter, safety and ammunition of our residence, which would mean things are not going well for the world, or at least our part of the world. A tent screams, "Come kill us and take our stuff." The 1 pound tarp will be fine.

I might get up in the attic this fall to build a kind of safe room/hidden storage area in case we need to fall back for safety or leave our stuff behind and hopefully be able to return for it later.

Doesn't having all of you sleeping in the open scream "come kill us and take our stuff?" Also give someone with a gun something to aim at from a distance whereas in a tent they have to come right up into it to find out where to shoot and by that time, they're dead because you're just that paranoid. Besides, in a tent, you're not sleeping in fallout rain. Imagine how the kids would do trying to sleep in the rain...

3irty1
06-18-2011, 12:40 PM
You might want to bring a salt and sugar mixture. Salt is pretty hard to come by in nature unless you have access to seawater. You only need to bring a couple of ounces for it to be pretty useful. You can use it to cure or brine to preserve any meat you can get a hold of without refrigeration. With sugar mixed in it can also preserve any fruit you might happen upon (confit). In a pinch a 1% solution can be mixed with water and taken orally or intravenously to replenish nutrients should someone lose a lot of blood. You could use it to help thaw ice or help prevent frostbite. It could also be mixed with ice to achieve temperatures below freezing which could be useful for primitive anesthesia or for freezing and removing radiation burn and other skin lesions. Should you hijack a concrete truck with the plans of pouring yourself a bunker, you can add your mixture to the readymix which will retard the curing so you can get it where you want it, construct a mold, and pour it before its unusable.

Edit, use coarse salt and sugar if possible. Then you can use it to make non-lethal shotgun shells as well.

Edit again, you can use your sugar/salt mixture to create a white smoke bomb if combined with gun powder or with potassium nitrate fertilizer and magnesium shavings from your army flint.

3irty1
06-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Check out an indian reservation between now and July 4th and you can get yourself some pretty potent chinese skycandy. M80's can make fishing foolproof, be used as a weapon or as a signal.

GrnBay007
06-18-2011, 02:38 PM

I think u are in serious need of a night out with Nutz. Go watch some strippers or something.

SkinBasket
06-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Doesn't having all of you sleeping in the open scream "come kill us and take our stuff?" Also give someone with a gun something to aim at from a distance whereas in a tent they have to come right up into it to find out where to shoot and by that time, they're dead because you're just that paranoid. Besides, in a tent, you're not sleeping in fallout rain. Imagine how the kids would do trying to sleep in the rain...

No one's going to be out in the open. This isn't a camping trip. Black tarp pitched low and covered by ambient junk for camo. Debris, branches, whatever. I would rather use that weight and space for a couple sleeping bags. Only pansies would be in a tent post apocalypse. You do know tents aren't bulletproof right?

MJZiggy
06-18-2011, 07:18 PM
No one's going to be out in the open. This isn't a camping trip. Black tarp pitched low and covered by ambient junk for camo. Debris, branches, whatever. I would rather use that weight and space for a couple sleeping bags. Only pansies would be in a tent post apocalypse. You do know tents aren't bulletproof right?

I know tents aren't bulletproof, but you also can't see exactly where the people are inside them. How are you planning on camouflaging the whining children when the emergency happens in the winter and it's snow mixed with rain and they are wet and getting frostbite? Not all apocalypses happen in dry summer, you know.

mraynrand
06-18-2011, 07:35 PM
I know tents aren't bulletproof, but you also can't see exactly where the people are inside them. How are you planning on camouflaging the whining children when the emergency happens in the winter and it's snow mixed with rain and they are wet and getting frostbite? Not all apocalypses happen in dry summer, you know.

They have two choices: STFU or die

mraynrand
06-18-2011, 07:37 PM
You might want to bring a salt and sugar mixture. Salt is pretty hard to come by in nature unless you have access to seawater. You only need to bring a couple of ounces for it to be pretty useful. You can use it to cure or brine to preserve any meat you can get a hold of without refrigeration. With sugar mixed in it can also preserve any fruit you might happen upon (confit). In a pinch a 1% solution can be mixed with water and taken orally or intravenously to replenish nutrients should someone lose a lot of blood. You could use it to help thaw ice or help prevent frostbite. It could also be mixed with ice to achieve temperatures below freezing which could be useful for primitive anesthesia or for freezing and removing radiation burn and other skin lesions. Should you hijack a concrete truck with the plans of pouring yourself a bunker, you can add your mixture to the readymix which will retard the curing so you can get it where you want it, construct a mold, and pour it before its unusable.

Edit, use coarse salt and sugar if possible. Then you can use it to make non-lethal shotgun shells as well.

Edit again, you can use your sugar/salt mixture to create a white smoke bomb if combined with gun powder or with potassium nitrate fertilizer and magnesium shavings from your army flint.

You just earned yourself a spot in my bunker. I have plenty of salt pork, a solar array with batteries, and a water purifier.

MJZiggy
06-18-2011, 07:53 PM
You just earned yourself a spot in my bunker. I have plenty of salt pork, a solar array with batteries, and a water purifier.

In my bunker there's sex (provided my honey doesn't make it). And sensibly-priced shoes.

3irty1
06-18-2011, 08:06 PM
In my bunker there's sex (provided my honey doesn't make it). And sensibly-priced shoes.

In the event of an apocalypse the noble responsibly of repopulating the world could indeed rest squarely on your loins. No wonder you want a tent so bad.

And I can't have some woman spending all my flame-thower-fuel money on shoes.

red
06-18-2011, 09:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iesXUFOlWC0

Scott Campbell
06-18-2011, 09:08 PM

I pitched a tent.

3irty1
06-18-2011, 09:44 PM
More ideas:

Marked deck of cards. You know what survival kits are about? Survival. As in "of the fittest." When you find yourself in the company of a bunch of bored strangers, Its your duty to your family and to mankind to relieve any surviving suckers of their ammo and rations via a friendly game of poker.

My research indicates that the appropriate can opener for your kit--the P-38 can opener:
http://www.amazon.com/GI-P-38-Can-Opener/dp/B000EGHWXS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
An effective can opener, as well as prying tool, flat head screw driver, box cutter, and possible slashing weapon. When you finally loot a pool table and drag it down into your bunker, you could stick this under the wobbly leg.

Dimethyl Sulfoxide. Another solevent that could potentially clean a gun. Dimethyl Sulfoxide can also be used as a drug delivery device as it penetrates the skin very quickly. Mix with the salt/sugar water I mentioned above and apply to the skin for a quick IV. On its own it is an effective anti-inflammatory, and a treatment for radiation poisoning. DMSO is said to even prevent paralysis in spinal cord injuries and can act as a pain killer. On top of all that DMSO can be made into a potent weapon. Anything that can dissolve in it can be easily delivered to the blood stream by contact alone. Combine with pepper spray to create a devastating non-lethal weapon that will burn from the inside out and won't stop. Combine with poison to turn a squirt gun lethal.

Surgical Tubing. With this you can fashion a sling-shot, Hawaiian fishing spear, create a siphon for accessing fuel or water, use it to restrict blood flow from a severed limb, or to hold up your pants after you lose 30 lbs and your belt is worthless.

Freezer bags. You will probably store something in these anyways. These can be used as canteens. You wake up in the morning and your cleverly designed tarp shelter is covered in morning dew. With this you have a way to store it.

As for the Geiger counter, its a really simple and cheap circuit once you get the tube and all of the parts can be had for under $10 at radioshack. Tubes alone are going for $5-$30 on ebay. I'll lay out a pcb.

3irty1
06-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Or there's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1aozVIj2Io&feature=player_embedded

SkinBasket
06-19-2011, 10:12 AM

How are they getting wet under a tarp? If an event happens in winter, I'm guessing we'll dress appropriately before we abandon shelter. And like I said, I would rather dedicate the space and weight to sleeping bags, which will offer more in the way of cold protection than a tent. Especially when it's soaked in our own blood and we're dead.

Scott Campbell
06-19-2011, 10:54 AM
More ideas:

Marked deck of cards. You know what survival kits are about? Survival. As in "of the fittest." When you find yourself in the company of a bunch of bored strangers, Its your duty to your family and to mankind to relieve any surviving suckers of their ammo and rations via a friendly game of poker.

My research indicates that the appropriate can opener for your kit--the P-38 can opener:
http://www.amazon.com/GI-P-38-Can-Opener/dp/B000EGHWXS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
An effective can opener, as well as prying tool, flat head screw driver, box cutter, and possible slashing weapon. When you finally loot a pool table and drag it down into your bunker, you could stick this under the wobbly leg.

Dimethyl Sulfoxide. Another solevent that could potentially clean a gun. Dimethyl Sulfoxide can also be used as a drug delivery device as it penetrates the skin very quickly. Mix with the salt/sugar water I mentioned above and apply to the skin for a quick IV. On its own it is an effective anti-inflammatory, and a treatment for radiation poisoning. DMSO is said to even prevent paralysis in spinal cord injuries and can act as a pain killer. On top of all that DMSO can be made into a potent weapon. Anything that can dissolve in it can be easily delivered to the blood stream by contact alone. Combine with pepper spray to create a devastating non-lethal weapon that will burn from the inside out and won't stop. Combine with poison to turn a squirt gun lethal.

Surgical Tubing. With this you can fashion a sling-shot, Hawaiian fishing spear, create a siphon for accessing fuel or water, use it to restrict blood flow from a severed limb, or to hold up your pants after you lose 30 lbs and your belt is worthless.

Freezer bags. You will probably store something in these anyways. These can be used as canteens. You wake up in the morning and your cleverly designed tarp shelter is covered in morning dew. With this you have a way to store it.

As for the Geiger counter, its a really simple and cheap circuit once you get the tube and all of the parts can be had for under $10 at radioshack. Tubes alone are going for $5-$30 on ebay. I'll lay out a pcb.

I'm having McGyver flashbacks.

MadtownPacker
06-19-2011, 12:48 PM
A bag a Maryjane seeds. You will be able to grow smoke and use the plant to make rope.

I guess you should also pack other seeds too. For when you get the munchies.

I would go with a machete instead of an axe. Should be able to cut smaller logs and it is a better weapon.

SkinBasket
06-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Or there's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1aozVIj2Io&feature=player_embedded

How about if you make me one of those in a durable box and I'll trade you a night of drinks next time I visit nutz? I'll get you a private dance at Silk if it's rechargeable via USB.

mraynrand
06-19-2011, 03:22 PM

You have to be careful with DMSO. If you put it in the squirt gun, you'd better be sure the gun is Polypropylene and not polyethylene or you'll solubilize/craze the gun. and the delivery you speak of isn't quite so fast and quite so effective as you may think - it's hard to get the kind of skin coverage you need to incapacitate someone, unless they willingly take a bath in or rub themselves down with the compound you made. DMSO in spiked sunscreen therefore could work, but at the concentrations you need, your victim would know something was up from the odor and consistency of the salve - DMSO is pretty volatile and remarkable even in a diluted form.

mraynrand
06-19-2011, 03:23 PM
dp for no reason

retailguy
06-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Better to be prepared than dead, or hungry, or unable care for your family. Even the Red Cross recommends having emergency supplies for 3 days. Most of this stuff is stuff you use anyway. Having it in one place and ready isn't much of a burden, effort wise or financially. If something happens, I don't want to rely on our inept government - or anyone else for that matter. If nothing happens, I still use most of the stuff, cycle through it, and I have a nice backpack.

To expound on that... We have greater and greater political strife as our nation sinks deeper and deeper into financial crisis. We have large groups of folks willing to bring certain industries, supply lines, and services to a halt in order to get what they want. Things like wide area EMPs exist. As do nuclear weapons under the control of insane people. Terrorists are actively seeking to cause as much harm to us as possible through any means available. We have nuclear reactors that are decades behind on safety and borders that are a joke without a punchline. And we have weather. Natural disasters. Volatile gas prices and a government unwilling to prepare for the future in a pragmatic way. And these are just the obvious reasons to be prepared for a disruption to our jovial lives where our biggest worry is how much a frappichino costs and how many minutes we're going to have to walk the treadmill to burn it off.

We've become accustomed to this peaceful life. Even our poor have cable TV, access to shelter, health care, clothing and food. Those who should be struggling to survive simply don't have to. Not in a life or death sense. Our government regulates everything in our life, from how much money we make to how much salt we eat. Make a dollar? Pay a tax. Catch a fish? Buy a license. Want to exercise your constitutional rights? Register with the state first. Most have become lashed to the government, willing or not, and without it - for whatever reason, shit's going to come apart real fast. With half our population reliant on the government for some kind assistance or another, they're going to turn somewhere else, anywhere else, to fill that void. Because they don't have the first clue as how to survive on their own. The people who had to fight to survive in their childhood are dying and no one seems interested in remembering the lessons they learned. We, collectively, are very soft, and very unprepared should be have to fall back to a survival state. Especially the metrosexuals. They are so dead.

Wist? Is that you? 8)

MJZiggy
06-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Wist? Is that you? 8)

LOL. Where is wisty anyway? I imagine him in a fallout shelter somewhere expecting the end...

SkinBasket
06-20-2011, 07:18 AM
LOL. Where is wisty anyway? I imagine him in a fallout shelter somewhere expecting the end...

I would wager it's more likely he's more prepared than most, and his mind is at ease for it. At some point a lot of people decided prepared means paranoid, and that nothing could possibly happen that the government can't save us from. This is America after all! Looks like even after katrina proved how unprepared and full of hubris we are at all levels, from the federal government on down to individuals, that hasn't changed.

This isn't going to last forever. It's not if, but when, any one of the things from a long list either disables or kills this terminal behemoth of a federal childcare system and all the babies start throwing tantrums. When that does happen there's going to be two kinds of people. Those who have prepared, and those who are begging those who are prepared for help or forming hungry mobs to take what they want by force. Most people's "plan" probably looks a lot like the later, much like our government does right now: the mob demanding assistance from those who've done the planning, work, and due diligence. Like I said earlier, preparing is not that hard at all. Certainly easier than begging someone to help save your life after mocking them.

3irty1
06-20-2011, 09:12 AM
wist is probably prepared but I doubt his mind is at ease. He's a real debbie downer when it comes to the future of mankind.

SkinBasket
06-20-2011, 09:51 AM
wist is probably prepared but I doubt his mind is at ease. He's a real debbie downer when it comes to the future of mankind.

I got the sense it was more our self determination and system of government that he had no faith in. The future of "mankind" is more of a liberal pursuit.

Scott Campbell
06-20-2011, 10:26 AM
I got the sense it was more our self determination and system of government that he had no faith in.

Or the Packer front office.

SkinBasket
06-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Got some of the more extreme case scenario supplies today. Added a thigh holster to the list. And a compass. Duh. Probably need rubber bands too.

Polar Pure Water Disinfectant With Iodine Crystals (10000 quarts worth)
120 KIO3 170 mg Potassium Iodate

Deputy Nutz
06-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Gee, I would have never imagined you becoming paranoid and obsessed with the apocalypse.

SkinBasket
06-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Gee, I would have never imagined you becoming paranoid and obsessed with the apocalypse.

Says the guy preparing a compound in the woods. I'm simply following the recommendations of the Red Cross.

Deputy Nutz
06-20-2011, 03:16 PM
I am also rebuilding my 98 Ford Windstar into a Machine of Death to get me to the compound. Fuck backpacks when you have a Windstar.

mraynrand
06-20-2011, 04:07 PM
I am also rebuilding my 98 Ford Windstar into a Machine of Death to get me to the compound. Fuck backpacks when you have a Windstar.

Mine will be ready to go once I add the armor plating
http://www.uberreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/Ford%20Windstar%20%20Monster%20Van.jpg

Freak Out
06-20-2011, 04:39 PM
The name Windstar brings fear to my heart.

SkinBasket
06-20-2011, 07:44 PM

Well, either I'm going to need a packload of shit to make it to the compound, or you're going to have to come pick us up in the Windstar halfway.

GrnBay007
06-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Ever think if something really, really bad happened would you want to be one to survive?

Little Whiskey
06-20-2011, 09:51 PM
How do you plan on saving your porn collection?

3irty1
06-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Drew this up on the Bus today:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/9720/ardv1.png

Features:
Small size
Low power
Temperature compensating
Frequency modulated output
Sensitive to Alpha, Beta, and Gamma Radiation

Operation:
The Apocalyptic Radiation Detector is simply operated by plugging in a pair of headphones into the 3.5mm jack and pointing the device towards the area of suspected radioactivity. The A.R.D. tone will get higher and higher to warn the user about harmful radiation.

Theory:
Ions emitted from radioactive material are stored up in the ion chamber (tin can) until enough are present to conduct current through the cathode. This current is then amplified, converted to a voltage signal, and frequency modulated.

Deputy Nutz
06-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Ever think if something really, really bad happened would you want to be one to survive?

No, but I would try my best to make sure that my kids survive. I am not talking about a nuclear meltdown, or the Earth turning on humanity, I am talking about the fall of our economy causing our government to collapse which in turn would lead to chaos, the death of a civilized country.

Deputy Nutz
06-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Well, either I'm going to need a packload of shit to make it to the compound, or you're going to have to come pick us up in the Windstar halfway.

Isn't this the reason why you bought that big ass truck? Get those tires that don't pop put some thick sheet metal around the windows.

Bretsky
06-20-2011, 10:58 PM
I think u are in serious need of a night out with Nutz. Go watch some strippers or something.

get your mind out of the gutter 007; you are always thinking about the nudy girls !!!

Bretsky
06-20-2011, 10:59 PM

AS LONG AS THERE IS AN EVE I'LL BE THE ADAM THAT WILL RESTART THE WORLD !!!!

WAIT.........CAN I HAVE A FEW EVE'S ????

MJZiggy
06-21-2011, 07:09 AM
No, but I would try my best to make sure that my kids survive. I am not talking about a nuclear meltdown, or the Earth turning on humanity, I am talking about the fall of our economy causing our government to collapse which in turn would lead to chaos, the death of a civilized country.

If that happens, I'm just moving to Australia or New Zealand. Granted, from my experience the people are a little nutty, but what the hell.

SkinBasket
06-21-2011, 07:49 AM
Isn't this the reason why you bought that big ass truck? Get those tires that don't pop put some thick sheet metal around the windows.

It's a American union product. I'd give it about 30 miles of off road use before it just falls apart or spontaneously explodes.

SkinBasket
06-21-2011, 07:53 AM

No, actually I don't. No matter how "hard" life is, you got a long, long, long time to be dead, so buck the fuck up. I'm sure if I lost my family, I would probably just scavenge liquor until I died, but I'm never going to wish I had died just to spare myself some pain or emotional distress.

mraynrand
06-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Drew this up on the Bus today:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/9720/ardv1.png

Features:
Small size
Low power
Temperature compensating
Frequency modulated output
Sensitive to Alpha, Beta, and Gamma Radiation

Operation:
The Apocalyptic Radiation Detector is simply operated by plugging in a pair of headphones into the 3.5mm jack and pointing the device towards the area of suspected radioactivity. The A.R.D. tone will get higher and higher to warn the user about harmful radiation.

Theory:
Ions emitted from radioactive material are stored up in the ion chamber (tin can) until enough are present to conduct current through the cathode. This current is then amplified, converted to a voltage signal, and frequency modulated.

There's a short in there that will bake your ears - but they might be tasty on a toasted wheat bread sandwich with provolone.

Deputy Nutz
06-21-2011, 10:27 AM
If that happens, I'm just moving to Australia or New Zealand. Granted, from my experience the people are a little nutty, but what the hell.

how are you going to get there? you got a plane? Don't you think there is going to be at least 50 million other Americans with that idea?

SkinBasket
06-21-2011, 12:53 PM
how are you going to get there? you got a plane? Don't you think there is going to be at least 50 million other Americans with that idea?

Especially when the dollar ain't worth a drop of bum seamen. Unless you've been listening to crazy people like Beck who've been speaking for years about the importance of physically possessing gold. Fucking kooks.

3irty1
06-21-2011, 12:57 PM
There's a short in there that will bake your ears - but they might be tasty on a toasted wheat bread sandwich with provolone.

What problem do you see? Seemed to work well in Spice.

SkinBasket
06-21-2011, 01:21 PM
What problem do you see? Seemed to work well in Spice.

You tested a Geiger counter on strippers?

Cheesehead Craig
06-21-2011, 01:38 PM
I know you already mentioned the machete/knife but I'd recommend a smallish crow bar. Never know when you'll need to break into some building that some idiot decided to lock.

3irty1
06-21-2011, 03:57 PM
You might also consider something brightly colored like a yellow or red poncho. It could help you be seen from above should you need rescuing. Drab colors might not make the best camouflage when the Earth is covered in hellfire. If you are wearing red, you could pass as a demon from far away.

MadtownPacker
06-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Maybe we should start setting up bases now. I will be the west coast contact.

SkinBasket
06-21-2011, 04:48 PM
I know you already mentioned the machete/knife but I'd recommend a smallish crow bar. Never know when you'll need to break into some building that some idiot decided to lock.

I got a couple, and a bolt cutter, all of which are heavy, but might be last minute additions if it looks like we'll be looting/squatting to live, which would be a worst case scenario.

Freak Out
06-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Don't forget some home brewing/distilling equipment for the compound.

Joemailman
06-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Better not forget this:
http://www.adamevetoys.com/sp-ur-pussy-palm-pal-15240.aspx

Scott Campbell
06-21-2011, 07:22 PM
What about a generator? And a solar charger?

SkinBasket
06-21-2011, 07:41 PM
What about a generator? And a solar charger?

My emergency radio/light is solar/cranked powered and has a USB port for charging things. That's as generatory as we're going to get. I would love to have a generator at our home base, but there's no budget for it currently.

Cheesehead Craig
06-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Found out a good canned good to have in the hideout is Dinty Moore Stew. It has a 5 yr recommended shelf life. Which means it's probably good for 7.

Deputy Nutz
06-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Cofee is a key for those that enjoyed it. You will be amazed if you are a coffee freak how miserable your life is going to be when you don't have any. But remember to ration it.

Twinkies are also important.

MJZiggy
06-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Twinkies are also important.
Don't forget the oil to deep fry them with...ew.

red
06-24-2011, 08:47 PM
pry should stock up on smokes too, that shit will be worth more than gold after the bombs fall

and weed

Joemailman
06-24-2011, 08:50 PM
pry should stock up on smokes too, that shit will be worth more than gold after the bombs fall

and weed

During WWII in Germany, my dad traded a carton of cigarettes for an accordion. Just sayin'...

Deputy Nutz
06-25-2011, 12:51 AM
You can grow tobacco and weed. Save your beans

SkinBasket
02-18-2012, 06:51 AM
Since people are mucking up my literary thread with survivalist nonsense.

Since my last report I've added salt, light sticks, 100 lighters (for use and trade), those 72 hour emergency food bricks that look like compressed dog vomit, a cheap but sharp knife, an expensive knife, a can opener, a giant can of freeze dried lasagna, and soon I'm going to get one of those water purification straws that we've been testing on Africans for the past few years. But I also used all my caffeine pills.

Freak Out
02-18-2012, 12:25 PM
PEMICAN! A way back machine might be helpful.

MadtownPacker
02-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Question - Will the best way to survive be to find a place to stay long term or is staying on the move key? I just feel that if you stay put eventually some fucks are gonna want what you have. Being familiar with an area and being all around it might be a good strategy.

SkinBasket
02-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Question - Will the best way to survive be to find a place to stay long term or is staying on the move key? I just feel that if you stay put eventually some fucks are gonna want what you have. Being familiar with an area and being all around it might be a good strategy.

I believe you need to be prepared for both. Obviously the longer you can stay in your own home with the protection and shelter it provides, the better. You can store massive quantities of food, ammunition, and water very easily. But, depending on where you live, your social order might break down faster or slower. This is where you're supposed to know your neighbors. If they're the type to loot you, you might want to get on the move. If they're the type that can be looted, or trusted to protect your back yard, then stay put.

But, if stuff gets really really bad, eventually you'll have to set out for somewhere safer, or somewhere more sustainable as far as resources go. Ideally, it would be after you've exhausted your home base resources, but then again, you might not have the luxury. So, be prepared for both. Forrest suggests burying a bunch of stuff somewhere safe, like a nearby state park, so you won't have to carry it when people are raping and murdering each other.

Upnorth
02-19-2012, 10:00 AM
If this is really a concern buy an acerage at least 1/2 hour from an urban center. Buy some rabbits. Let yoir grass grow long and cut it with a sickle so you can stook it so it dries. Have a big garden and learn to can. Get a wood burning stove and have access to lots of trees, or have lots of coal. When poop hits the fan learn to love rabbit. Oh yeah build an outhouse but use it to store your garden tools so your neighbors think its cute. Up til when you have no power to pump out the septic then it isn't cute but handy.

swede
02-20-2012, 12:12 PM
During WWII in Germany, my dad traded a carton of cigarettes for an accordion. Just sayin'...

That was a good deal. My dad only got to rent the organ of some girl named Schatzie for his carton of cigs.

wootah
02-21-2012, 01:51 AM
That was a good deal. My dad only got to rent the organ of some girl named Schatzie for his carton of cigs.

Fantastic post.

George Cumby
02-25-2012, 02:51 PM

Travelling exposes you to too much risk, IMO.

Get a good homebase in the foothills. Good water source, you can grow stuff, raise food animals and raid into the lowlands as needed.

Knowing the lay of the land will play in your favor, tactically, when you have to deal with bandits.

Have your fighting positions and secondary fighting positions ready. Have your back-door planned. Retreat and counter-attack. They won't know what hit them.

George Cumby
02-25-2012, 02:54 PM

Mumbus lovers unite!

One of the reasons I love my Toyota Sienna is the sliding doors on either side. If need be, I can engage a threat on either flank.

So how are you modding the Windstar?

Deputy Nutz
02-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Steel, lots of harden steel. Beside I will have bugged out before people even know what the hell is going on.