PDA

View Full Version : Kids n Cars

GrnBay007
06-18-2011, 04:23 PM
For those of you that have been through this....

Did you help your teen purchase/finance a car?

Make them save enough to purchase their own?

red
06-18-2011, 05:49 PM
me, and a lot of people i know got one of our parents old cars that was all paid off and everything, then they bought a new car for themselves

i wouldn't spend too much on a new first car, its gonna have the shit beat out of it and really just be used as a rolling sex/drug den anyways

MJZiggy
06-18-2011, 07:15 PM

In my family, it's "you want a car? Get a job." Not only did we have to pay for our own beaters, but we had to pay the insurance too.

Little Whiskey
06-18-2011, 07:59 PM
My kids arn't old enough to drive yet, but when they are, they will buy their own car, insurance and gas. if you can't afford to drive, you can't afford to drive.

GrnBay007
06-18-2011, 11:55 PM
i wouldn't spend too much on a new first car, its gonna have the shit beat out of it and really just be used as a rolling sex/drug den anyways

Thanks....I really needed to hear that!!!!! ugh!! :(

GrnBay007
06-19-2011, 12:00 AM
I used my savings for my first car but was about 1700 short. My parents financed what I didn't have and then I paid them back.

My daughter has a PT job and has been saving for awhile but nowhere near enough. Thing is her having a car would benefit me A LOT!

SkinBasket
06-19-2011, 10:05 AM
I was also gifted a parental car. Well, it was gifted to my brother a few years before, then he was finally able to get his own, and I inherited it next. When I got my own piece of shit, my sister got the Oldsmobile. We were always responsible for 50% insurance and 100% gas. The benefits being that generally the car is going to be safer than most you can buy cheap and you know it's history, and most importantly, the parents had complete and total control over how and when it was used. Remember, if you want to grant your kid the responsibility of making them work for it themselves, you're also going to have to allow them the empowerment that comes with: that it is their car, not yours.

Either way, it's a special time in her life. Just be ready to slap her either way.

mraynrand
06-19-2011, 11:26 AM
I saved my 1972 custom Opel from when I was in high school and my kids get to use it whenever they want. It cuts down on the fuel costs.

http://www.4x4offroads.com/image-files/1972-opel-gt-261.jpg

Scott Campbell
06-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Mine got our 3rd vehicle, which I still like to use periodically. Problems is, I've got another with a learners permit.

GrnBay007
06-19-2011, 12:13 PM
I saved my 1972 custom Opel from when I was in high school and my kids get to use it whenever they want. It cuts down on the fuel costs.

http://www.4x4offroads.com/image-files/1972-opel-gt-261.jpg

Because it would BOUNCE down the road?? lol

GrnBay007
06-19-2011, 12:28 PM
I was also gifted a parental car. Well, it was gifted to my brother a few years before, then he was finally able to get his own, and I inherited it next. When I got my own piece of shit, my sister got the Oldsmobile. We were always responsible for 50% insurance and 100% gas. The benefits being that generally the car is going to be safer than most you can buy cheap and you know it's history, and most importantly, the parents had complete and total control over how and when it was used. Remember, if you want to grant your kid the responsibility of making them work for it themselves, you're also going to have to allow them the empowerment that comes with: that it is their car, not yours.

Either way, it's a special time in her life. Just be ready to slap her either way.

True, true!!!

Thought about me getting a new car and letting her use our current one. It's an older Toyota Camry. Been paid off for several years and would be a safer car for her to drive and lower insurance for a teen compared to many other types of cars.

.....but she "kinda wants her own car....and a red car..." (insert the "slap her either way" here) So we sat down and went through a financial example of that situation last night and I think she is starting to change her mind. :)

I HATE the idea of looking for a different car!!! It just gives me such a feeling of being RIPPED OFF every time I start the process I put it on the back burner.

I am thinking I would like a Crossover SUV.............anyone out there with thoughts about them? Good / Bad experiences???????? What is good??

MadtownPacker
06-19-2011, 12:54 PM
My first car cost $250. It was an old skool chevy that had got towed and the owners couldnt pick up cuz they where in jail. I loved it until I rolled it over in some grapevines.

I say buy a Toyota Corolla (they last forever) or some other small car that is good on gas.

MJZiggy
06-19-2011, 03:51 PM
First thing I usually do is go to Carmax. Then I can drive just about anything I want to try and usually after I find what I want and shop around on price and features, I end up back at Carmax anyway.

GrnBay007
07-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Yeah, wish I could find a Toyota for her. Tons of people around here driving them but just not finding any used that are older.

Anyone know anything about Dodge Intrepids? Likes or dislikes?? We found a 2001 tonight but didn't drive it yet. Asking 4500.

Partial
07-08-2011, 12:55 AM
My parents bought both my sister and I various cars such that when we graduated college we both had 5 year old cars. With extra curriculars and jobs, it really wasn't viable to not have us with cars. Having said that, we were responsible for gas, they paid insurance. The cars didn't go into our names until we had our college degrees done.

If your kids are active in school and/or have jobs, it probably is just easier to get them a car because otherwise it's a heck of a lot of chasing.

I would recommend a Honda Civic. We paid 9000 for it, I think it was 5 years old at this point, and I sold it 4 years later for 4500, so, not bad at all. Never had a single problem with it.

The Intrepid doesn't seem like a particularly good deal. I got 4500 cash for my 2002 Honda. I've heard that Hondas and Toyotas hold their value much better than most other car brands.

Iron Mike
07-08-2011, 07:10 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3497/3957078777_85792ba992.jpg

This was my first whip....except it was green w/white roof.

SkinBasket
07-08-2011, 08:35 AM
http://www.bjs-enterprises.com/results/toyota-1.jpg

1979 Toyota Corolla was the first car my wife and I bought for $550 when we left for college. Except ours had a lot more rust. Top speed was about 72 MPH. The trunk had a hole rusted through on the back quarter panel that had been cleverly patched with a flannel shirt, but outside of a fuel pump that sprayed a flammable gas/oil mixture about the engine compartment, and a wheel that came off and a busted thermostat, she drove like a drunken 70 year old whore.

After a couple years, we got the family Oldsmobile back from my sister, and she (the car, not my sister) died of neglect because no one stole it like he had hoped. Left it open all the time in a part of town where apparently the hookers had too much pride and the bums only stole rims. When they came to take her body, they tore her back bumper clean off, then had to ram her with the flatbed to dislodge her frozen corpse and pull her up by the axle.

I miss her still.

Patler
07-08-2011, 08:59 AM
A child's "need" for a car is one of those opportunities parents have to teach life skills. Sure, you can give the kid a car, pay the insurance and give them money for gas. But what does that teach them? Isn't it better to give them the knowledge and experience to meet that need for the rest of their lives? Teach them how to use a slim jim, to hot-wire and to siphon gas and they will have the skills necessary to meet their transportation needs the rest of their life. :wink: :lol:

retailguy
07-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Yeah, wish I could find a Toyota for her. Tons of people around here driving them but just not finding any used that are older.

Anyone know anything about Dodge Intrepids? Likes or dislikes?? We found a 2001 tonight but didn't drive it yet. Asking 4500.

Hundreds if not thousands of cars on ebay or online. Hire a good mechanic in the town where it is to do a complete pre-buy inspection. When that checks out go get it or have it shipped.

Hire the mechanic even if you buy locally. Best money you'll ever spend.

Honda/Toyota/Nissan. I'd pick any of the following: civic/accord/camry/corolla/altima. I think the Corolla is the best small car on the road. Pretty sure she could dump diesel fuel in a gas car and it'd still run. They're also one of the most economical cars on the road.

mraynrand
07-08-2011, 11:31 AM
"Anyone know anything about Dodge Intrepids? Likes or dislikes?? We found a 2001 tonight but didn't drive it yet. Asking 4500."

I owned an 2000 Intrepid RT for 5 years. Pretty decent car. I got about 6K for it in 2005. I assume you're getting the standard 225hp V6. I would counter offer 2500, if the mileage is under 125K. My tire guy has run his 2000 for over 225,000K but he's put about 5K into it. Figure at least 1K/year in maintenance costs for a ten year old car (Some years will be better, some worse, so you might get lucky and pay less if you only own it for a few years - or you could get scorched!). And do what Retail says and have a trusted mechanic look at it.

GrnBay007
07-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Figure at least 1K/year in maintenance costs for a ten year old car.

Woohoo.....that made me feel good. I've only been putting about 500 a year in my 12 year old Toyota! :)

MadtownPacker
07-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Woohoo.....that made me feel good. I've only been putting about 500 a year in my 12 year old Toyota! :)Exactly so dont listen to these lazy fat Americans and just buy another ricemobile so you don't have to fuck with it.

GrnBay007
07-08-2011, 09:49 PM
A child's "need" for a car is one of those opportunities parents have to teach life skills. Sure, you can give the kid a car, pay the insurance and give them money for gas. But what does that teach them? Isn't it better to give them the knowledge and experience to meet that need for the rest of their lives? Teach them how to use a slim jim, to hot-wire and to siphon gas and they will have the skills necessary to meet their transportation needs the rest of their life. :wink: :lol:

:)

I completely agree Patler. I saved and saved after I got my first job at our neighborhood pool......started out at basket check girl at 14, moved to cashier and finally made lifeguard....lol First purchase with that money was a (at the time) very cool stereo (a necessity as a young teen!) Second thing saved for was a car. Came up a lil short and my parents floated me a loan which I paid off in a year. That is what I plan to do with my kids. Make them save for the car but will let them make payments to me if they come up a lil short.

Thing is it's a win-win situation with us...having another driver/car in the family is going to make things much easier on me! lol

GrnBay007
07-08-2011, 09:53 PM
BTW new development. Her uncle may be coming through and selling her a 2001 Ford Taurus for 1600. .....oh w/ a sunroof....she's excited. lol I figure for that price if she gets a couple years out of it, it's worth it. right? lol

GrnBay007
07-08-2011, 09:56 PM
1979 Toyota Corolla was the first car my wife and I bought for $550 when we left for college.

Wow, you've been with your lady since HS?

GrnBay007
07-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Exactly so dont listen to these lazy fat Americans and just buy another ricemobile so you don't have to fuck with it.

lol yeah, mine lasted longer than yours! ;)

Freak Out
07-08-2011, 11:36 PM
BTW new development. Her uncle may be coming through and selling her a 2001 Ford Taurus for 1600. .....oh w/ a sunroof....she's excited. lol I figure for that price if she gets a couple years out of it, it's worth it. right? lol

You can't do that to her. A 2001 Taurus? Really? Hell....I'll pitch in to keep her out of that uncool POS.

Partial
07-09-2011, 12:19 AM

Yes, absolutely. At some point cars don't get any cheaper when they run. It's probably a little lower than that number, but not much. Good deal.

MJZiggy
07-09-2011, 08:03 AM
You can't do that to her. A 2001 Taurus? Really? Hell....I'll pitch in to keep her out of that uncool POS.

:lol::lol: I still love my Acura, and it gives me no trouble (except that I need to have the AC looked at) and I loved my Civic as well. Not as much the Camry, though that might be because I like smaller cars. Then again we had a CR-V that I liked too.

SkinBasket
07-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Wow, you've been with your lady since HS?

Word to yo mutha! 17 years ago I asked her to be my lady, she accepted, and I drove away in the Oldsmobile. But I saw her again the next day in math class. Very romantic.

So make sure your daughter gets a car she can meet her future husband in.

MJZiggy
07-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Word to yo mutha! 17 years ago I asked her to be my lady, she accepted, and I drove away in the Oldsmobile. But I saw her again the next day in math class. Very romantic.

So make sure your daughter gets a car she can meet her future husband in.

Well if that ain't a case for getting her a better car...:mrgreen:

red
07-09-2011, 03:55 PM
i think you should get her a van with a fold out bed in back

she would have the coolest "wheels" in school

seriously though, the cheap taurus seems like a good option. keep in mind she has 2 things working against her

1. she's a brand new driver on the scene

2. she's a woman

we're talking about bumpers cars here. no need to buy anything fancy for awhile

MJZiggy
07-09-2011, 05:27 PM
i think you should get her a van with a fold out bed in back

she would have the coolest "wheels" in school

seriously though, the cheap taurus seems like a good option. keep in mind she has 2 things working against her

1. she's a brand new driver on the scene

2. she's a woman

we're talking about bumpers cars here. no need to buy anything fancy for awhile

Women are better drivers. That's why my car insurance is cheaper than yours is. :taunt:

GrnBay007
07-10-2011, 09:02 PM
LOL @ Red!

Freak, check your PM for pay to the order of and addy!

:)

Deputy Nutz
07-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Get her the cheapest safest car, you pay for it so you can control it. She buys it herself, and she pays the insurance, and gas then she feels that she has the control of the car. I am sure your daughter is wonderful and doesn't give ya any problems, but the realities are that you and her could get into a power struggle over the car, she paid for it and it is in her name.

My parents bought me a safe affordable used car. I fucked up in school I had the car taken away. I fucked a fat chick they took the car away. I paid the insurance and stole lunch money from fat chicks to pay for gas, but the car was my parents.

MJZiggy
07-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Get her the cheapest safest car, you pay for it so you can control it. She buys it herself, and she pays the insurance, and gas then she feels that she has the control of the car. I am sure your daughter is wonderful and doesn't give ya any problems, but the realities are that you and her could get into a power struggle over the car, she paid for it and it is in her name.

My parents bought me a safe affordable used car. I fucked up in school I had the car taken away. I fucked a fat chick they took the car away. I paid the insurance and stole lunch money from fat chicks to pay for gas, but the car was my parents.

Ok, that actually is a good point...

Tarlam!
07-11-2011, 11:13 AM
My kid is taking her driver's lisence test tomorrow! Anyway, I was confronted with this very same issue. My best friend lives in NC and I asked him to buy a good coupé for her off of ebay. You people pay peanuts for cars over there!

Anyway, his wife has a house in the Provinz southern France, where he keeps his old Mercedes CE 300 Coupe. He just gave to her. All I need to do is go pick it up. I got lucky with finding a solution, huh?

MJZiggy
07-11-2011, 11:49 AM
My kid is taking her driver's lisence test tomorrow! Anyway, I was confronted with this very same issue. My best friend lives in NC and I asked him to buy a good coupé for her off of ebay. You people pay peanuts for cars over there!

Anyway, his wife has a house in the Provinz southern France, where he keeps his old Mercedes CE 300 Coupe. He just gave to her. All I need to do is go pick it up. I got lucky with finding a solution, huh?

Um, yes!

mraynrand
07-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Ok, that actually is a good point...

Do you mean the part about getting lunch money from fat chicks?

Kiwon
07-11-2011, 12:35 PM

3-year old 2008 Kia Optima with less than 11,000 miles purchased for book value using my daughter's college money. Joint 5-year loan at 2.74% financing to help establish her credit. She will pay it off in 2 years or so.

She is responsible for gas and insurance and maintainence. Funds are from her college money for now. She had to have transportation. It's her car and was purchased through the college money saved for her.

bobblehead
07-11-2011, 01:16 PM
I used my savings for my first car but was about 1700 short. My parents financed what I didn't have and then I paid them back.

My daughter has a PT job and has been saving for awhile but nowhere near enough. Thing is her having a car would benefit me A LOT!

My mother matched me dollar for dollar in the purchase of my first car. I also was required to maintain a 3.0 GPA and "stay out of trouble". I paid all the gas, mom paid the insurance. Title was in her name so if I violated the trouble cause the car got revoked.

Little Whiskey
07-18-2011, 08:22 AM
007, I saw this article on Yahoo. Thought it might give you some pointers for your young driver.

10 teen safety tips for driving (http://autos.yahoo.com/news/summer-driving--10-teen-safety-tips-.html")