PDA

View Full Version : Head Coaching Potentials

Smidgeon
06-21-2011, 02:00 PM
ESPN Ranked coaching assistants in Head Coaching Potential. GB had two in the top 10 (Moss and Perry) with Bennett receiving another vote from Seifert.

Nobody else had more than 1 in the top 10. Don't know enough about the rest of the assistants to say if a team had more than one coach receive votes...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/27804/power-rankings-rising-assistant-coaches

Bretsky
06-21-2011, 05:57 PM
I really like Perry; could care less about Moss

I'd like to use that Asst HC title on Dom Capers and lock him up for a while

Fritz
06-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Moss? I thought people around here didn't like him much?

But where's James Campen on that list?

KYPack
06-21-2011, 10:02 PM
I feel this ESPN deal missed a couple guys:

Kevin Greene. Might not be a HC, but certainly Kevin could be a DC, if that's what he wants to do. He has played or coached with Dom Capers with three NFL teams. Kevin also started his pro career with the late, great Fritz Shrmur with the LA Rams. Kevin also served for 16 years in the Army Reserve, as a captain, so he's got the whole "leadership" thing down. Teams will have to start eyeballing him as a potential DC in the future.

Joe Whitt Jr. Joe made it thru the 2008 purge of Sanders staff. Only Moss and Joe were retained from that group on D (thank God, eh?). Young guy, very stern and detailed. He's got HC written all over him. He sits in the booth on game day, at the right hand of Dom Capers. His work at CB coach is vitually unrivaled, working with Wood and developing both Tramon and Sam Shields. Emmitt Thomas has mentioned that Joe should be a HC someday. I think so, too.

Smeefers
06-22-2011, 07:02 AM
The only reason Perry got on the list was because Seifert rated him #3.

Iron Mike
06-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Kevin also served for 16 years in the Army Reserve, as a captain, so he's got the whole "leadership" thing down.

When I was in the Reserves, duties for a CPT consisted of deciding which 2LT was going to bring doughnuts to the Sunday Morning Professional Development Program. That, or monitor the enlisteds to make sure they weren't cheating on the APFT.

Patler
06-22-2011, 07:48 AM
I feel this ESPN deal missed a couple guys:

Kevin Greene. Might not be a HC, but certainly Kevin could be a DC, if that's what he wants to do. He has played or coached with Dom Capers with three NFL teams. Kevin also started his pro career with the late, great Fritz Shrmur with the LA Rams. Kevin also served for 16 years in the Army Reserve, as a captain, so he's got the whole "leadership" thing down. Teams will have to start eyeballing him as a potential DC in the future.

Joe Whitt Jr. Joe made it thru the 2008 purge of Sanders staff. Only Moss and Joe were retained from that group on D (thank God, eh?). Young guy, very stern and detailed. He's got HC written all over him. He sits in the booth on game day, at the right hand of Dom Capers. His work at CB coach is vitually unrivaled, working with Wood and developing both Tramon and Sam Shields. Emmitt Thomas has mentioned that Joe should be a HC someday. I think so, too.

I agree. But Greene seems like he might enjoy being "one of the guys" so to speak, as a position coach can to some extent. He really gets into the action on the sidelines during games. Emotion was so much a part of how he played and how he coaches that the emotional detachment a DC or HC has to have may not appeal to him. I'm not suggesting he wasn't a student of his position, he clearly was and is, but he may need the emotional release during games that a position coach can afford and a DC or HC often can not.

Whitt, on the other hand, has come right out and said he wants and is preparing himself to be a head coach. I think he will be considered for openings in the not too distant future, maybe after one more step up the coaching ladder in some way as a DC, Assistant HC, etc..

KYPack
06-22-2011, 10:13 AM
When I was in the Reserves, duties for a CPT consisted of deciding which 2LT was going to bring doughnuts to the Sunday Morning Professional Development Program. That, or monitor the enlisteds to make sure they weren't cheating on the APFT.

Laugh out loud on that one, Mike.

I didn't mean he was a Bobby Petraeus-clone or anything. Being in the reserves when you don't have to do it indicates that he is a gung-ho dude.

I bet KG made sure them mfers did every push-up right, now.

Guiness
06-22-2011, 09:07 PM
There's only one NE guy on the list. In the past, that's been a heavily raided team - everyone looking to see if a bit of hoody's magic rubbed off on his boys. I think people are realizing he's a dictator, not a teacher and the coaches coming from his tree are just not very good once they're away from his influence.